mtbr member
    Aug 2006

268lb rider looking for new cranks

I'm 268 lbs, ride an 01 Enduro Pro and the time has come for new cranks.

I like high speed downhill-ish XC type stuff, but don't do too much jumping or drops.

I thought it would be an easy choice. Last time I looked the Hussefelt was the big bad tough crank. Now I hear of trouble with them, so I look to Race Face, more trouble. . .are the problems posted in the reviews area more the exception or the norm with these? Is the Saint where it's at? (man I don't like the looks of those fat rectangular slabs of metal, but I shouldn't care right?)

I don't know if a DH/FR crank is overkill for me or not. . .I'm no FR rider but at my size maybe everything is extreme! Then again I've still got my flexy Strongarm II's on my bike!

I've got a list of candidates (leaning towards Evolve, Atlas, or Saint):
    Race Face Evolve DH $139.99
    Race Face Atlas X-Type $199.95
    Race Face Diabolus X-Type (read some icky stuff in the reviews here) $219.95

Shimano Saint $175.00
    Shimano Hone (normal looking compared to Saint, is this just a black LX?) $183.00

Truvativ Hussefelt $99.00
    Truvativ Holzfeller $158.00

Oh and I see that I can get the XTR's for 299 now. . hmmmmmm

If anyone has any advice or experience with your hooves on a set of these please let me know!

Thanks,

Brett
    Last edited by BrettVisionSLR; 08-05-2006 at 11:49 PM.

mtbr member
    check out the holzfellers. you can get them for a kickass price right now from pricepoint. i am running them on my dh bike and i am about the same size as you. you will notice a huge differences in stiffness. heres the link to the cranks
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/141...t-22_32_44.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettVisionSLR
    I like high speed downhill-ish XC type stuff, but don't do too much jumping or drops.

That'd be the definition of all mountain buddy

Anyways, I really think you should look at something w/ external bearings, like a saint or race face diabolus. The hone might be OK too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I weigh 265+ with my riding gear on. I destroyed the Truvativ Hussfelts that came on my bike. After a lot of research, I bought the Shimano Hone crankset and I couldn't be happier. Much stiffer, smoother, shifts perfectly, and no more chainsuck. If you look around, you can get them pretty cheap. I got mine on sale at aebikes.com for $130.
    I dare you to make less sense.

mtbr member
    The Atlas should be more than enough for the riding you describe. Anything more is overkill but might be worth whatever additional confidence it inspires (at the right price).

I'm about your size and ride SS and gearie and have had zero issues with old school Turbines, Atlas, Holzfeller or Middleburn cranks. I did fold a pair of early-edition Stylo SS cranks but I believe they've since remedied the situation.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

Your bike is incorrigible
    I have hussefelts on my XC bike, and I don't trust them at all. In fact, I hate them with a passion and can't wait until they are destroyed so I can get a second pair of:

RF Atlas AM cranks.

Atlas are simply the best deal for a clyde looking for a XC crank. Contrary to what others may have said, they have proven to be foolproof. In the two years I've owned my set they have never let me down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks guys,

It's narrowed down to eaither the Saints, which I can get for 130.00 or the Atlas which I've found for 199.00. now I just gotta decide if I can justify the extra dough.

-Brett

mtbr member

Atlas

I have the Atlas setup on my SS and I love them. I had some issues with the initial set up, but I've since got them dialled and they handle all of the abuse I can throw at them. I've destroyed numerous BB/crank combos over the years and I'd never go back to something without external bearings. Atlas is well worth the price, and you won't have to give money to Shimano.
    _
    _
    Beware the man who has just one gear. He may know how to use it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Something I should have mentioned earlier, and I've just asked in the drivetrain forum, is about compatibility of these external bearing BB systems with my E-Type front derailleur.

mtbr member
    I have the Shimano XT-M760 Hollowpoint II cranks and it has held up to my 250# bulk quite well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well, they're deffinitely not light, but I ride on a set of profiles. No inserts to break, solid CroMo arms, etc. etc. You can't beat em for stiffness, but they will change the balance of your bike a little with the added weight. FWIW I weigh 262 at my heaviest without gear, and ride a Planet X hardtail

You can set em up with your Etype front Der, and there are plenty of knock off 48 spline, 3/4-19mm cranksets out there from FSA, Gussett, DK, so on and so forth. If you don't mind the weight, they'll be the last set of cranks you need to buy.

Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettVisionSLR
    Thanks guys,

It's narrowed down to eaither the Saints, which I can get for 130.00 or the Atlas which I've found for 199.00. now I just gotta decide if I can justify the extra dough.

-Brett
    It'll be justifed after you put them on

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My brother and I are both clydes and we are also looking for new cranks. We mostly ride cross country, but we are breaking xt bottom brackets and the xt cranks seem very flexible. Previously I had ridden a suntour xc pro which is probably my favorite crank. What do you guys think about evolove dh triple for cross country or the dmr xtype. I know they are heavier but the should last longer than 500 miles, Right?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I really like my old school square taper Race Face Turbines. I have a 20t/32t setup with a rock ring on the outside. That 20t granny does a great job of keeping my pedals turning and Turbines are STIFF.

I had to hunt around a bit to find it all, but it was absolutely worth the hassle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I just bought a set of Saints ... I will update as to how they hold up .

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

rf atlas

I've had a pair of RF Atlas cranks for the past 2 seasons on my Reign and love them. Most solid feeling crankset I've owned. I've broken more sets of Turbines than I can remember, but I'm Canadian eh so I keep going back for more.(warrantied of course). I'd be suprised if I broke the Atlas, but they're warrantied for life. I can't comment on any of the other cranks mentioned.