mtbr member
    Apr 2009

26 Full Suspension to 29er Hardtail

Hey guys, I tried searching and was unsuccessful. Soo, sorry if this has been covered a lot.

I currently ride a Felt Redemption which is a 6" all mountain bike for the most part. I'm 6'6" and weigh in at 340. I know I'm heavy and that's why I am riding. I just started riding to work 3 times a week. 20 miles round trip.

I'm thinking of parking the Redemption and picking up a Kona Honzo 29er for commuting and playing on the local single track. I have ridden a few 29ers and thought the extra pedaling gains would really help in my commuting.

My question is, will I destroy a hardtail on single track? I plan to build the bike myself with after market wheels. Will I loose all my confidence of trail riding that I have with my full suspension? I don't hit jumps often but everyone in a while they get in my way. If the Honzo is a bad idea I plan to replace my 26 frame with a nomad. What are your guys thoughts?

I4NI
    No but you will have to pick your lines a little more carefully that FS guys tend to take for granted.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    at 340, if you have found something that doesn't break, just stay with it. if you want, buy some slicks for commuting.

Bite Me.
    Go for it - the Honzo can take a lot of abuse - good on ya for riding more and adopting some 29er mojo!
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells