Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Extra Crispy

250lb geared, hardtail, hardpack single track - need wheels

I think I may have bent an axle in my Shimano XT hubs. They were recommended to me because they are supposedly more durable than cartridge bearing hubs for someone at my weight, but my cassette wobble says otherwise.

On Wiggle, I can get Hope Hoops (Pro2 Evo hubs laced to a wide selection of rims) for just over $400 shipped... thoughts on those hubs? I know the stainless bearings aren't as desirable, but I don't think I'm ready to build a wheelset right now and I just want to ride... I've got 2 months of decent weather left before the snow comes so time is important...

I don't do any drops or jumps, and I would consider myself a smooth/easy rider even with my weight, so what do you guys think? I like the price point, the fact that the hubs are convertible to anything, and the angry bee noise...

Recommendations on rims? The XC wheels are build with DT XR400, Mavic XC717 or No Tubes CREST, and the "aggressive" wheels are built with DT Swiss EX500, Mavic D521 or No Tubes Flow... I'd like to keep it as light as possible without sacrificing durability. I've never had a wheel trued and I've never taco'd one...
    Now with eggs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think a quick search will uncover all your required info. Hope hubs and Stans hoops are on many different bikes.

mtbr member
    Hope, Hadley, and Chris King hubs are popular among clydes for a reason.

I have CK single speed hub on Flow rims with 14g spokes. I'm 220 lb on rigid, with plenty of air time, and so far no damage.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Extra Crispy
    What about Crank Brothers wheels?
    Now with eggs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Everything my LBS says about CB wheels is not positive. IMHO go with something proven. Low spoke counts are out of the question.

mtbr member
    I am your size and I have been on a set of Flows with Hope Pro 2 hubs built up by Matt Larsen for the past 2 years. He was reccomended to me by another clyde on here and I have had no issue what so ever with these wheels. He can be reached at 775-997-5634 or sales@mlwheels.com.

Extra Crispy
    I'll give him a call... if he can beat or match the shipped price of the Hope Hoops wheels on Wiggle and get them to me in the same amount of time, he's got my business.
    Now with eggs.

mtbr member
    He is not a Hope dealer I shipped him the Pro 2's out of my old wheelset.

Extra Crispy
    Oh... well then...

I'm kind of set on the Hope hubs from a price/durability/versatility standpoint and off the top of my head, I can't think of anything in that price range that is as good. Looks like I'm not riding this weekend...
    Now with eggs.

mtbr member
    Wiggle's price is really good, though I know nothing about the rims that come with the wheels.

If you are interested in Hope hubs with other rims that have been known to be clyde friendly (e.g., Flow, Frequency i23), send an email to Larry at Ghisallo Wheels - Custom Wheels and ask him how much.

I don't know about Hope hubs, but when I was shopping around for CK hub on Flows with 36h 14g spokes, his price was unbeatable (paid around $650 plus shipping, I believe).
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Extra Crispy
    Just got some Hopes laced into Crest rims for $368 shipped on Wiggle using the 10-off code.

They had Flows, but from reading reviews, the Crests were just as strong? We'll see.
    Now with eggs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bacon11 View Post
    Just got some Hopes laced into Crest rims for $368 shipped on Wiggle using the 10-off code.

They had Flows, but from reading reviews, the Crests were just as strong? We'll see.
    Wow that is a great price!!

mtbr member
    That's a steal! Can't beat that price.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Extra Crispy
    Front
    Rear

Use the code "10-off" without quotes for an extra 10% off. I left the "Expedited shipping" checked, so it was $374 and some change, shipped to Cleveland, Ohio.

Thought I'd post that up seeing as it could help others.

All wheels come with the 9mm QR option, but the "XC" built wheels come with 15mm front conversions as well. The "FR/DH" option comes with 9mm QR and 20mm front conversions. They have most rear hub options as well... 10x135, 142...

I'm hoping these Hopes hold up. This wheelset is going to be shloads lighter than the Bicycle Wheel Warehouse build I think I destroyed... their "Pure XM" rims laced into XT hubs with 14ga spokes came out to 2250g or so. These Hopes in Crests should be a good bit less than 1900 I think.
    Now with eggs.

turtles make me hot
    The Hopes will hold up fine. What front axle are you running? If it's a 9mm, look at the 9mm thru option. Way better for big guys. Also convert the rear to 10mm thru.
    I like turtles

Extra Crispy
    QR front and rear for now. 10mm bolt on is on my short list of stuff to get. I'll look into the 9mm bolt on in the front... can't say I've heard of that but it definitely sounds good.

If Hopes are as easy to work on as people say they are, I don't think switching will be an issue.
    Now with eggs.

Extra Crispy
    Deleted
    Last edited by bacon11; 09-12-2012 at 06:56 AM.
    Now with eggs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I just saw you ordered Crests and though ought ohhh. Crests are super light, weight weenie XC racing rims. I think its almost the farthest thing from a Flow that you can get. Return them if you can. If not, sell them to someone and get Flows. If you want durable, worry free wheels, Crest was a bad choice.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    if i didn't need the qr feature, i'd try converting the current wheels to a solid axle. i'm fixin' to do that to one of mine, i think.

Extra Crispy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    I just saw you ordered Crests and though ought ohhh. Crests are super light, weight weenie XC racing rims. I think its almost the farthest thing from a Flow that you can get. Return them if you can. If not, sell them to someone and get Flows. If you want durable, worry free wheels, Crest was a bad choice.
    I've got a 190lb geared up friend that's fixing to build a weight weenie bike. He's ordering new wheels built with Flows from Wiggle, and we're going to straight up trade. It's working out, but it's still frustrating. I emailed Stan's saying they need to disclose the weight limits on the rim pages as well, versus just the wheelset pages.
    Now with eggs.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I am a little surprised that a wheelbuilder didn't ask, and that you didn't mention this to them. Crest rims would definitely not be on my list for a 250lb rider. The Hopes are a decent hub choice, especially for the money, they are the best in their price range IMHO. If you could get the order switched, even if it means a delay and/or some extra cost, it would be a good move for the long haul. I have been pounding on Flows for 3 years now, and aspire to weigh only 250lbs, although I am getting down near there lately (currently 262lbs). Good luck whatever way you go with this.

Extra Crispy
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I am a little surprised that a wheelbuilder didn't ask, and that you didn't mention this to them. Crest rims would definitely not be on my list for a 250lb rider. The Hopes are a decent hub choice, especially for the money, they are the best in their price range IMHO. If you could get the order switched, even if it means a delay and/or some extra cost, it would be a good move for the long haul. I have been pounding on Flows for 3 years now, and aspire to weigh only 250lbs, although I am getting down near there lately (currently 262lbs). Good luck whatever way you go with this.
    My 190lb friend is going to build up a budget friendly weight weenie 26" bike (he has a 29" trail bike now). He's ordering wheels built with Flows, and when they arrive, we're going to trade - my wheels with Crests for his wheels with Flows.

Edit - I removed two paragraphs after getting an email back from NoTubes. I'm being told straight from someone in their tech support department that there is in fact, NO weight limit on their rims and that the weight limit comes from the wheel build as a whole. Stronger spokes and nipples would help, but he still recommends Flows for us clydes.
    Last edited by bacon11; 09-12-2012 at 06:56 AM.
    Now with eggs.

Vincit qui patitur
    Check out
    lacemine29.com
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

Extra Crispy
    Just wanted to check back in regarding these wheels. I picked them up at the post office yesterday.

Some of the spokes on the front wheel seem looser than the others, so I'm going to bring both wheels down to the LBS and have them check them out. I can tighten them myself, but I'd have no idea what to tighten them too. "Tighten them until they sound like the others when plucked" only gets me so close, and seeing as these rims have no eyelets, I don't want to over tighten them all.

Stan's wheelsets have a weight limit because they use 2.0-1.5-2.0 spokes, from what I understand and from the emails from Bob N. at NoTubes. I measured the spokes on my wheels using digital calipers (I'm an engineer by day) and came out with 2.0-1.8-2.0 aligning with the Sapim Race spokes that were spec'd on Hope's website. I've read in a few places that these don't really carry a weight limit either, but I'm going to be careful.

Proper tension, no drops, and clean lines... I'm going to wager these will be fine for a few rides until my friend gets the wheels with Flows in.

Edit: $54 to get my wheels de-tensioned and then brought up to proper tension again at the LBS. I'd send them back to Wiggle because that's unacceptable (improper tension out of the box) but that would keep me off the trails for at least another 2 weeks...
    Last edited by bacon11; 09-18-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    Now with eggs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You should have just built a set. Im appx 245 geared up and running XT hubs on Flows and double butted spokes (2.0 1.8 2.0), I laced them myself and had them tensioned/trued by my LBS....been running perfect all season.

Now you think you saved time and money ordering a wheelset from over seas when there are plenty of awesome wheel builders in the US.? Dont mean to sound harsh....to me it dosent make sense.
    ACCESS Stealth 3.0 carbon 29'er
    GT-R Pro
    Surly 1x1
    Surly Disc Trucker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast