mtbr member
    Sep 2012

235lbs and Carbon Seat Post?

Hello, I'm sure its been asked many times but here it goes, I'm 235lbs and would like to know if a Carbon Easton Haven Seat Post can handle the pressure? I recently upgraded my wheels to the Magnesium Haven set, and just got the Carbon handlebar and magnesium stem to go with the wheels so now I'm looking at the Seat Post? I don't need one, there's nothing wrong with the one I have, but I just want to complete the set. I can choose from an aluminum or carbon version so I have choices but if the Carbon unit will handle the weight of my A** and maybe help dampen some vibrations on my Hardtail 29er I would like to give it a shot. Otherwise, I'll just get the aluminum version.

Also, the Carbon unit is cheaper for some reason? $59.00 in 31.9x400
    The Aluminum one is $69.00

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I weigh the same as you and I've been bouncing around on a Sette edge carbon seat post for a few months now on my hardtail as well. We are baby clydes in the realm of things so we will probably be fine in the long run.
    Pedaling Gorilla

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The Haven line is generally for a little rougher use, so I would expect it to follow suit like the wheels and such. As a fairly substantial clyde, I don't think I would cheap out on a carbon seatpost. That would be a bad place for things to get ugly :~)

Climbs = necessary evil
    I know carbon has the dampening effect, but if you want light and durable, I bought the Thompson Elite Masterpiece seat post and have over 1000 miles on it weighing in at 225 and it's taken everything I've thrown at it just fine.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    even if I wasn't a clyd I'd skip the carbon post for MTB... on a road bike I'd consider it but MTB they tend to get a bit more abuse... and the way they fail could make it a very painful experience if it does...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    @Rogerfromco,

According to Thomson website, the elite masterpiece has a 200lb weight limit. I am sure there is a margin on what the post will handle though.

Thomson | Masterpiece Seatpost Series

@Dvdslw,

I have used carbon posts for a while, and even when I weighed a lot more than you. I have not had any issues with quality ones, however I would caution to make sure you don't land jumps, bumps, drops, big roots...etc on your butt. Keep the weight on your feet and you shouldn't have issues.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    @Rogerfromco,

According to Thomson website, the elite masterpiece has a 200lb weight limit. I am sure there is a margin on what the post will handle though.

Thomson | Masterpiece Seatpost Series
    Where'd you get that? In the FAQ, it says....

"Q Is there a weight limit for the Elite seatpost?
    A Practically speaking, no."

mtbr member

RE: 235lbs and Carbon Seat Post?

I should of been more clear, I misspoke. You stated elite masterpiece in your post above. There are 2 types of posts, either elite or masterpiece. I posted a link to masterpiece FAQ. That one has a 200lb weight limit. Elite, has no limit.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    I should of been more clear, I misspoke. You stated elite masterpiece in your post above. There are 2 types of posts, either elite or masterpiece. I posted a link to masterpiece FAQ. That one has a 200lb weight limit. Elite, has no limit.
    Mine is a Masterpiece, so I misspoke as well. I did not realize they have a 200 lb weight limit on it. I've ridden it hard for about 1000 miles with no issues so far. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it as I wash the bike.

change is good
    Sep 2004

235lbs and Carbon Seat Post?

Syntace HiFlex. Tough posts.

mtbr member
    After some research I ended up with a Thomson Elite, the Masterpiece is a bit lighter but I think either post should last a long time, my next few frames I'm sure.