mtbr member
    Nov 2008

23" Stumpjumper Evo - Too Big?

This is a question for those who are knowledgeable on bike geometry and fit.

I've been researching stock bikes for taller guys and have landed on the 23" Stumpjumper Evo. My previous bike was an XL Gary Fisher Superfly, and it felt very small to me. I would like to avoid going custom because of the wait times.

My dimensions are:

Height: 6'5"
    Inseam: 34-35"
    Wingspan: 79.5"
    Weight: 210 lbs

In your opinion, will this bike fit me? I'm a little worried that it might be too big. What do y'all think?
    - J. Ryan

Ride & Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by tread29
    This is a question for those who are knowledgeable on bike geometry and fit.

I've been researching stock bikes for taller guys and have landed on the 23" Stumpjumper Evo. My previous bike was an XL Gary Fisher Superfly, and it felt very small to me. I would like to avoid going custom because of the wait times.

My dimensions are:

Height: 6'5"
    Inseam: 34-35"
    Wingspan: 79.5"
    Weight: 210 lbs

In your opinion, will this bike fit me? I'm a little worried that it might be too big. What do y'all think?
    The standover of the 23" Stumpjumper is 35.5" and your inseam is 34-35"? -- Not much clearance.

For comparison, I am 6'5" with a 36" inseam and my 24" Salsa Fargo has a standover of 34.89" and my 22" Kona Unit has a standover of 34".
    KanzaKrūzer
    Salsa Warbird | Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KanzaKrūzer
    The standover of the 23" Stumpjumper is 35.5" and your inseam is 34-35"? Not much clearance.

For comparison, I am 6'5" with a 36" inseam and my 24" Salsa Fargo has a standover of 34.89" and my 22" Kona Unit has a standover of 34".
    That's what I'm affraid of. The Superfly had a standover of 31.7" which made the bike feel REALLY small to me. It's ETT was 25.3", which felt a bit short too.

I broke 3 of the XL Fisher 29er G2 frames, 2 aluminum & 1 Carbon, at the seat tube and top tube. I'm trying to avoid this happening again. This is why I'm considering the 23".
    - J. Ryan

Ride & Smile
    I am probably not the person to ask on bike size. I asked for advice and the response was 4 to 1 telling me both my bikes are too big for me.

I am still swapping out the stem and handlebar on my Kona Unit to find the right fit, but my Salsa Fargo is right where I like it.

I would suggest you ride as many XL and XXL frames as possible to find one that fits well. Top Tube Length and Head Tube Length are two measurements I focused on.
    KanzaKrūzer
    Salsa Warbird | Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KanzaKrūzer
    I am probably not the person to ask on bike size. I asked for advice and the response was 4 to 1 telling me both my bikes are too big for me.

I am still swapping out the stem and handlebar on my Kona Unit to find the right fit, but my Salsa Fargo is right where I like it.

I would suggest you ride as many XL and XXL frames as possible to find one that fits well. Top Tube Length and Head Tube Length are two measurements I focused on.
    Thanks for you input anyways! It's all helpful!

Yeah, the TT and HT are two of the most important for me. Ideally I think I need 25.5" - 26" TT. I have pretty long arms!
    - J. Ryan

mtbr member
    May 2005
    At your height/inseam you will be very close on the standover, with tall tires, my SS is right around 35". Then again, how often are you just standing straight up?
    If you decide to go to a full supension, then the XXL is around 32" standover.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93
    At your height/inseam you will be very close on the standover, with tall tires, my SS is right around 35". Then again, how often are you just standing straight up?
    If you decide to go to a full supension, then the XXL is around 32" standover.
    I'm not a big fan of FS Bikes. I'll be sticking to a HT.

What is your SS?
    - J. Ryan

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm 6ft5 and ride a Large 2010 Enduro. It is on the smaller size but one 420mm Reverb seatpost later and it's spot on...I was told that the bigger sized Spcializeds are enormous

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm 6'7" with a 37" inseam and 38/39 arms and the RH 23" from specialized felt just about right. Those are some tiny legs for such a tall guy. let's see some pics