mtbr member
    Jan 2009

220 lbs.,single pivot and lookin for shock

I am 220 lbs. I ride a 17.5 gary fisher fat possum xt. Lookin for a good rear shock. Coil or air. Ride mostly singletrack. Been getting into bigger drops and jumps. Thank you in advance.

Slave to the grind
    im about 230 with my gear and i was running the coil manitou swinger. nice and plush. i think it was the 4 way (?)
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

29 some of the time...
    Lots of options. I don't know what size shock that frame uses. If you are lucky it will be a stock size like 7.875x2.0-2.25 or 8.5x2.5. First off let us know what size you need. We can go from there.

At 220lb you can ride either coil or air. I think the coil is easier to dial in. The air shock may require additional tuning by a professional to be a good fit. I am currently riding a heckler with a Fox RP3. After trying out several shocks on it (and also having ridden several others on SP hecklers in the past) I prefer the coil shock. But since I am riding mostly xc type trails these days I decided to stick with air for the weight savings. To get the air shock to cooperate with the single pivot suspension of my bike I sent it off to Push to have it revalved. It came back a different shock. Way better fit for the frame.

So what are you looking for with this upgrade?
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    First off 7.875x2.25. Looking for ease of set up. Also to do some more aggressive stuff. Something to survive. With a platform for pedaling.

29 some of the time...
    From the first post it sounds like you are wanting to step it up a notch. Probably a DHX coil would be the way to go. Not cheap, but nothing is once you start looking into performance shocks. The dhx will get you a platform, bottom out adjustability, and a way to tune the progression. Overall a very good solution to some of the single pivot issues. Coil also takes bigger hits better than air IME.

Fortunately that is a fairly common size, so you should be able to ebay a shock or find one at an online vendor for a decent price.

Motobey
    im 225 I just got an air an for FS it rides more plushy which my back is happy about, Rock Shox. the Spring rebound was hurting my back.
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Everyone has been a big help. Call me an aggressive trail rider. Don't pass up much on the trail. My choices: Fox( rp23,dhx coil) marzocchi(rocco tst air,rocco air 3pl) manitou(swinger x3 air,evolver) rockshox monarch. Which one stands out for the fat possum xt.

29 some of the time...
    You might jump over to the Gary Fisher forum for that answer. Personally I would stick to something that can be tuned professionally (Fox air/coil, Marzocchi coil can be tuned by Push Ind.). A good coil shock is most likely to be a good match right off the get-go, provided it is sprung correctly. Air is more convenient in that you don't have to guess the spring rate, but most don't have a whole lot of range to the external adjustments.

If I was looking at this choice right now, and weight wasn't the deciding factor, I would choose a DHX coil.