mtbr member

210lb XC racer needs wheelset

So the title says it all. I've gotten my former 6'3" 255+lb self down to a respectable sub 210 weight over the past few years and am now a solid mid-pack Sport class racer, yet despite this, I go through rear wheels about once per season apparently. I began busting spokes (one or two per ride sometimes) in my sock rear wheel after about 4-5 months of trail riding, before I ever started racing, and upgraded to some Cane Creek Terros Disc wheels. These lasted about a year, and I've now broken two spoke in the last two races, and expect that it will continue. These come in at right around 2000g and I'd like to go both lighter and stronger as they are for my race bike.

Suggestions? I can't spend a fortune, but understand the 'Stong, Light, Cheap.....pick two' fact well.

Note, I ride a 4" fully and am a decent rider, not super smooth but ok, and am far from a huckster. Mostly just trail riding and XC racing.

Suggestions? Examples of your personal experience would be great. Any bigger guys riding American Classic wheels?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    At 210 lbs I run cross-max SL tubeless on an epic. I am on year 3 with lots of hard miles and racing. This summer these wheels withstood four 12-hr races with no problems. Broken spokes are common from sticks and rocks, but never any problems during a race when they really get a pounding.

I would be curious to see if any Clydes have tried Stan's wheelset

How about having your LBS build you up a set....nice thing about that is that they are more willing to fix/true/replace when its their work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have trimmed myself down to border-line clyde status, but for most of my racing career over the past two years I was hovering around 230lb. I have run the stock wheels that came on my bike (Rush) the entire time with absolutley no issues. They are Mavic Crosslands. I have completed 12 sport class races to date and a 50 mile endurance race without a hickup. I have run tubeless and tubed. I am quite amazed on how they have held up considering the poundinng I put them through in rock gardens. I do run higher presure due to my weight( around 40psi) . I haven't even found a loose spoke yet, nor have I broken one!

These wheels are not light, especially compared to crossmax's but they are a good value.

Bryan

I railed it like Kong
    Check out Easton Havocs. I've had nothing but problems with the Mavics. Rims are great but the hubs not so.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

I Ride for Donuts
    36 spoke sun rhyno lite rimes laced to Shimano XT hubs here. I'm 6'2", 210, been riding these wheels pretty hard XC for probably 6 years. Not a broken spoke or a bend yet.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    06 Crossmax SL. I am down to 230 and ride in southeastern AZ where it's all mountains and rocks. No problems in the 5 months of service. I got them on clearance for $600.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

11 is one louder than 10

handbuilt...

I'd go with

solid hubs of your choice (I prefer king)

mavic xm 819 tubeless

dt supercomp spokes

handbuilt by someone who knows what they are doing.

I like tubeless, or tubeless ready tires, and those mavic rims were outstanding.

I"m running bontrager TR rims now, but if I did it again I'd go back to the XM 819's.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    I am riding Mavic 317s with XT hubs and I haven't had a problem. I am 210 and 6'1". I spent $200 brand new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    205lb 6'2"
    I've been running 819s for 4yrs haven't trashed one yet doing lots of technical trail riding/ all mountain. I recommend a decent pair o hubs, clydes can trash drive systems. On the cheap end of the scale, I'd suggest shimano XT. I have Dt's and love them, but I did crack my 240 rear, but now i'm running 440s with no problem (get at least the 340 or the 440 for clyde worthy) BTW, DT warrantied the 240s super fast. Hadleys and Hopes are supposed to be good hubs for a good price. Kings are great but pricey.
    I've had friends that have had problems with Mavic hubs.