mtbr member

20mm more travel, 20mm lower handlebars?

Current situation: Running a Pike at 140mm with 25mm of spacers on top of my stem on an uncut steerer. I figure I'm using around 9" of steerer tube.

Will I be able to get by with 8" of steer tube on a 160mm fork? I'm just wondering how the increased travel will affect the relative height of my handlebars.

I know that 20mm more travel will also mean a little more sag but will I be able to manage running the handlebars about an inch lower from their static position?

I'm looking at picking up a used fork for my new build and want to be sure that I'll be comfy on the new custom frame. For the record, I'm using 50mm Easton riser bars and will be using the same bars on the new fork, albeit connected to a 1.5" stem

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    the 20mm more travel will not really do anything for your handle bars. The relation between seat, pedals, and handle bar doesn't change if you add 20mm to the forks. It will change your stand over height, BB height, head tube angle (slacker). I would keep the bars where they are at if you like they way they feel. If you must go to an 8" steerer you might want to get a higher rise stem or higher rise bars to make up the 1" difference.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your reply. It's kind of apples to oranges as this will be on a new frame, compared to my Pike on an undersized XL Chameleon.

I just ran a couple of calculations and it looks like my bars will be a little lower.

Pike: 522mm A-C at 140mm plus 9" steer tube = 750mm Axle-top of stem
    Pike Sagged (20%): 494mm A-C at 112mm plus 9" steer tube = 723mm A-Ts

Lyrik: 545mm A-C at 160mm plus 8" ST = 748.2 A-Ts
    Lyrik Sagged (20%): 513mm A-C at 128mm travel plus 8" ST = 716mm A-Ts

I had to figure the overall static height of the lowers to figure the difference that the sag would create so that number is not included.
    Pike Static height: 382mm
    Lyrik Static height: 385mm

Looks like I'll need to go see if I am comfy with my bars 7mm lower
    Last edited by GTscoob; 05-26-2011 at 09:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    is the GEO on the new frame the same as the last frame? TT length, BB hight, seat tube lenth etc, etc. If its different you will probably be moving the stem/bars around until you find what you like. I woudln't worry too much about handle bar to ground measurements. I just went through the same thing, built a new bike with a whole different frame geo than my last bike. Took me 2 months of swaping out seat posts, stems, and bars to get the fit I liked.

mtbr member
    Angles will be similar but length and height will be much larger on the new frame.

I've been riding a 20" Santa Cruz chameleon for almost 2 years and it's really fun on the downhills but much too short for extended climbing.

I'm going to be adding ~1.5-2" to the top tube and 3-4" to the seat tube but keeping the slack geometry. I generally like my bars a little below the saddle, much more so than most other tall people I see riding. It'll be a longer top tube but i'm looking to run 15-20mm shorter of a stem as well to make everything fit and feel right.

I dont have the budget to spring for a new fork so I'm looking used have a good lead on a fork with an 8" steer tube so I just want to see whether it'll work with my new frame.