Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    S-Mart's Top of the Line

Hope 2015 Fitness/Weight Goals

I guess nobody has any goals this year? I'll start.

After ALMOST getting to 200 (207) pounds over the course of last year, I have spiraled into a state of depressed shut-in. I don't have a scale handy, but I'm guessing I'm probably back near 240. I'm sick and tired of it, and I'm taking a stand.

2015 is the year that I crack 200 pounds for the first time since high school. I managed to clock a sad 296.41 miles last year. I am a professional mariner that spent 3.5 months out of the country and 11 months away from home in 2015, but the more I think about the time I've wasted, the more that that is just an excuse. I'm looking at another 6 month contract on boats but, honestly, the good food and set schedule helps!

Wayyy back when, I started the collective miles threads. I think the first time I did it, I picked like 5000 miles. Something small. We didn't know what we were collectively capable of. I've hardly chipped in as it's risen to become the amazingly wonderful 100k goal that it is today, but I've never really set a personal goal for myself; That's what I am going to do now. I'm going to pick something arbitrary...call it 1000 miles, and I'm going to count DOWN my ytd miles instead of up. I'll see you soon, 199#!

Anybody else have 2015 goals? We aren't getting any younger...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My goals..... Pretty simple, get back into shape by being more active. Have more energy to play with my children after a long day at work. Do some of the longer epic rides i used to do when I was 50 pounds lighter. I've been splitting time between my roadie and fat tire for the last month 3-4 days a week and already feel better

mtbr member
    Mei've been hovering between 245-260 for the past five years or so (I'm 47). I've always been big (6'3"). I picked up biking again last year after a 20 year layoff, and I love it. But all this extra weight needs to go. My goals:
    -- get down to 225
    -- ride at least 1000 miles
    -- enter some races. I did a gravel grinder last year, and it took me 6h30min to do 50 miles. I want to beat that time...

mtbr member
    Four years ago, my health was dragging me down (I was letting it, I take that credit), and between blood pressure, sleep apnea, and depression, I swelled to over 400. I worked hard and was down to 300, and feeling much, much better (treating the apnea helped a ton), and then had a hiccup with my blood pressure. I spent a week in a hospital, where they put me on a lot of new meds, and worried about a respiratory infection I didn't have, pumped me full of steroids for the week. Over the next few months, I put back on ALL the weight I had dropped. Back pain, knee and hip pain, and depression took root and grew like weeds. I had also, sadly, not had a bike to be on.

Now, I have a ride again, a nice solid, rigid singlespeed, and my goal is to push myself as far as I can (without over doing it) down that weight ladder. I don't get too hung up on numbers, as if I don't reach them, I tend to get discouraged, but my overall eventual goal is to get below 280. I know I can do it, and I plan to do it. I'm starting off with half hour (at least) of riding every day that I am not in too much pain (and weather doesn't force me off), and building from there.

I know riding alone won't do it, so I am also adjusting my diet to a much leaner, low low low carb diet that helped me a ton before, after having discussed it with my doctor, so I am excited and optimistic.

Let's all reach our goals and exceed them for 2015!
    Living in the moment is always better on two wheels.

mtbr member
    Get below 200 and stay there (I usually fluctuate between 200-210)
    Ride 1000 mountain bike miles this year

Super Clyde
    I have a similar goal as Brian. This winter with no activity and fighting depression I ballooned up to 399#. I've come to my senses and gotten myself a nutritionist and a trainer. One of the things I told the trainer is that I wanted to really cycle a lot this year because I spent so much on the dang things. I've completely overhauled my eating and have been going to the gym 1-2 days a week and riding 2-3 days a week, mostly road miles because we've been getting a ton of rain for the past month. Since the end of February I've lost 26# and I'm continuing to lose 3-5# a week. I haven't felt better in a long time and want to continue to feel this way. I have a goal to be able to do a 50 mile road ride on Labor Day, ride 1500 miles total this year, and get as close to 300# as I can.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

S-Mart's Top of the Line
    Well good luck to you guys! I'm wondering if I'm selling myself short @ 1000, but we'll see. I did my first epic this last year...I bought a Specialized AWOL and took off on the East Coast Greenway and covered 150 miles over three days while bike camping. Hoping to get some more of that done...it rocked! I'm running the AWOL on rollers right now due to the temperature, but hoping to get 10 a day knocked off for every day I can, and then be ready for 20 and on up once it warms up.

nom.nom.nom
    Way to go guys, seems like a lot of you are off to a great start!

I set my goals at the start of the year and milage wise I'm doing pretty good, eating fairly decent, but the damn scale will not move and that's so frustrating for me. I have definitely been more active this winter compared to any of the previous and cannot wait for the warmer weather to arrive as I'm not sure how many more indoor trainer rides I can put up with (so damn boring). I am currently at 17% completed of my goal of 1500 miles this year (set at 500 more than my previous best), and I'm still 24 lbs away from my weight goal of 280 this year since I haven't lost anything yet.

If anyone wants to join up on Garmin Connect, Strava, or MyFitnessPal PM me and I'll add you. It's motivational to compare stats, meal plans, etc. with others that may have the same goals in mind.
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ Santa Cruz Nomad C
    ♦ Santa Cruz 5010 C
    ♦ Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I was 260-265 at my worst weight (6'0) and in awful shape. Right now I am plateauing around 222-225. I want to get to 200 this year. I also am in the crap blood pressure boat. That needs to go away and I'm hoping with all the weight loss I can abandon the CPAP.

As for MTB riding my goal is far more simple. 1 ride a week. Between work and spending time with the kid I don't have much opportunity to ride. Thankfully DST has changed all that. I am 2/2 weeks riding after work Friday.

I also in general just want to get to a point where I have to hike-a-bike much less. I see these <=150lb dudes powering up hills and I just get super envious.

There are also some really cardio intense rides I want to try this year like Skeggs. Long term I want to be able to do Kennedy but I know I am nowhere close to that now. (see http://bayarearides.com for reference)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bk_mtb View Post
    I was 260-265 at my worst weight (6'0) and in awful shape. Right now I am plateauing around 222-225. I want to get to 200 this year. I also am in the crap blood pressure boat. That needs to go away and I'm hoping with all the weight loss I can abandon the CPAP.

As for MTB riding my goal is far more simple. 1 ride a week. Between work and spending time with the kid I don't have much opportunity to ride. Thankfully DST has changed all that. I am 2/2 weeks riding after work Friday.

I also in general just want to get to a point where I have to hike-a-bike much less. I see these <=150lb dudes powering up hills and I just get super envious.

There are also some really cardio intense rides I want to try this year like Skeggs. Long term I want to be able to do Kennedy but I know I am nowhere close to that now. (see Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides for reference)
    Just curious, can you get a leg over just 20-30 mins 3 days or more during the week? Even if it's in the neighborhood and on road, getting your heart rate up for that long each day can help drop the weight and improve the cardio.

Otherwise, congrats on the loss so far, and keep it up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My starting weight last year(1/2014) I was at 265. I've always had weight swings that go along with whether or not im biking or not. Myself and some family members did a "Biggest Loser Challenge" last year and I got down to 235. I ended up doing a couple XC races in Clyde class and had a blast.

Fast forward to this year, I survived the holidays only getting back up to 242 lbs. Compared to the usual climb back up to 260 land. We started a new contest but this time I'm doing something different, im tracking and logging my food. There are several apps that help you do this and it's MUCH easier than it sounds. Take it from someone with poor discipline when it comes to food, this app has changed everything for me!

Start at 242 (1/25/15)
    Currently at 218lbs (3/21/15)
    Wishful thinking 200?

Riding is much more enjoyable as the pounds come off too...I encourage you all that may have the riding part figured out but not the eating part to give it a go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Grimes View Post
    Just curious, can you get a leg over just 20-30 mins 3 days or more during the week? Even if it's in the neighborhood and on road, getting your heart rate up for that long each day can help drop the weight and improve the cardio.

Otherwise, congrats on the loss so far, and keep it up!
    Oh I have been doing my work boot camp 2 days a week in addition to my riding. We do lots of arms/legs/core and running for an hour. I forgot to mention that. So my goal is a total of 3 days of working out the two boot camp days and the third mtb day.

mtbr member
    Ahh, makes sense then. Best of luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm in the same boat as a couple of you guys. My family has moved from Quebec to Ontario and we have been living with family while waiting for our new home. Our diet has gone up in smoke and I have put on about 20lbs. It is mostly my fault but I am hoping to get back out on the road and trail again in a coue of weeks. Buy the end of the year I want to be around 310lbs which is going to rake a lot of hard work. Will need to lose around 45lbs this year to reach my goal.

As for mileage, i'm hoping to crack 500km off road and 2000 on road. I have tried the indoor trainer programs lime Trainerroad and Zwith but it can't compare to being outdoors.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I want to be 275# by the end of summer 330# now.Got a fatty and a Bowflex to help.

mbtr member
    I just wanna keep averaging 8 hours/week. Every part of the ride is fun when i can effortlessly ride mid-pack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I started at 255# on 1/2015. My goal is to get down to 220. Still overweight but I'd be able to maintain it. Haven't gone on any diets; trying to change my lifestyle. Cut out most carbs, replaced with fruits and veggies. Write down everything that goes in my mouth and count the calories.

Riding goals...first one is to make it to the top of the first climb of my current home trail without having to get off and walk. It's pathetic. I'm not talking epic here, I'm talking maybe a 1/4 mile of switchbacks.

After that it's to complete a 20 mile loop ride, and get out to ride at least 3 days a week. I've never been a fan of cardio but that's what I need to build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthdog View Post

Riding goals...first one is to make it to the top of the first climb of my current home trail without having to get off and walk. It's pathetic. I'm not talking epic here, I'm talking maybe a 1/4 mile of switchbacks.
    Dude! you can do it! I had the same problem at my local ride. Kept at the gym and now I can climb from the bottom of the switchbacks to the top without stopping. The first time I did it, it was seriously awesome. Made my week.

If you keep at it, it definitely will happen.

mtbr member
    I remember reading, a long time ago, that riding, even in the lowest granny gear at a crawl, is more efficient than walking. If you have to stop and catch your breath, don't walk, catch your wind and get back on. You can do it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I remember as a kid when I was strong enough to make up that hill without stopping.I'm back at the bottom of the hill once more looking forward to seeing the crest.That will be a good day.

mtbr member
    I recently read the Fit2Fat2Fit book. This is the guy that intentionally gained 75 lbs. over the period of six months and then got back in shape six months after that.

Anyway I found it helpful because he is "clyde" size at 6'2" with a healthy weight in the 190's and close to my age, so it's easy to follow the same meal plans and routines that he did. An interesting note is that he lost 20lbs. his first month with no exercise and only good diet to show how important that is and includes exactly what and how much he ate each day. He also has some good advice about plateauing. I'm not trying to be Mr. Muscle man like him but I know that shedding some weight makes a big difference on the bike.

mtbr member
    Currently sitting around 335, highest at 464 a few years back. This year my plan is to get down to about 280-290 and stay there through winter. Each winter I usually put on some weight. I'm hoping to get a road bike this year to add to my mountain rides. If I could get 1000 trail miles, that'd be awesome. I got some making up to do, but I'm averaging about 25 miles a week right now, plus on the spin bike I may be able to catch up.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't pay attention to the scale or the miles. I just ride because it makes me happy. Part of that happiness is getting in better shape and having more energy for my kiddos.

When I was a part of a Step Competition I had to keep track of every mile I went and it really did make riding less enjoyable. So now I don't pay attention to the miles, I just stop when my legs are burned out or it's getting dark outside.

So no goals set other than ride more (new bike!) and try new trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Started the year at 240 cracked 220 last week. 216 is the lowest I've been this year, or the 15 years before that. Due to a freakishly warm winter, and some good lights, I've been able to ride about 6 hours a week. Doing 2-3 days of weights/Crossfit with the riding has been helpful in cranking up the metabolism. Need to make an exit from the Clydesdale division by June.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde250 View Post
    Started the year at 240 cracked 220 last week. 216 is the lowest I've been this year, or the 15 years before that. Due to a freakishly warm winter, and some good lights, I've been able to ride about 6 hours a week. Doing 2-3 days of weights/Crossfit with the riding has been helpful in cranking up the metabolism. Need to make an exit from the Clydesdale division by June.
    Congrats man! You changing eating too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast