Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Fat boy Mod Moderator

2014 Weight and Fitness goals.

it's a new year and new goals are here... so... what are your goals for 2014

the 2013 weight and finess goals thread can be found here
    2013 weight and fitness goals

also if you posted goals for last years it could be interesting to post here how you managed on those goals... but that is completely optional.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    sadly I no longer have a MTB... I took the parts off my sawyer and put them on a 700c Surly Disc trucker touring bike... I also built up a road bike this last year year (31 year old trek racing frame that just happens to fit 32c (super wide for road bike) tires

goals for this year

1 - a century a month, although being almost a month since my last month I don't know how that one is going to go.

2. week long bike tour across the Katy Trail and back, aprox 450 miles in a week, loaded with my camping gear and such... going in May with some old friends.

3. LoneStar MS150 rides from Houston to Austin, TX. 150-175 miles in two days, never done it before but have wanted to for a while; my aunt has MS and I've seen just how bad it can be, it put the most athletic person I've ever met into a wheelchair and then into a assisted living facility all before she was 50.

4. 3000 miles or more for the year, only 250 miles a month which I've come very close to a few times last year... just have to be consistent.

I have no real weight goals this year although I expect weight to drop if I consistently ride 250+ miles a month... just a battle with family time and school... if I manage a century a month that only leaves 150 the rest of the month... we'll see how that goes. I lost about 20 lbs over the last year with occasional rides (almost 950 miles for the year) and drinking more water, my blood pressure is also much better, based on my personal and family history even getting down to under clyd status doubt I'll ever be 100% free of the blood pressure meds but just having it under control makes me and my Doctor happy lol.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Want do be down to 200 by the end of the year. Was down to 223-225 before the time change. Now I'm sporting 228-232 depending on how much beer I drink during the weekend.

Last year I rode 2030 miles and a little over 125,000 feet of elevation. This year I am going after 4000 miles and 250,000 feet of elevation. That is basically 80 miles and 4800 feet per week in 2014.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My goal is 2000 miles, with a better diet, and to lose 45 lbs. McDonald's, burger king, etc. Etc. . . Goodbye.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Goal one ride a century. Goal two run run a 10k. Goal three get under 200 lbs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Ridin' Furry
    Currently 190, 6'3. Looking to get down to 170 by May. Posting here for self-motivation! :3

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I weighed 235 this morning, want to get to 185 by year's end. I want to finish the Skool of Hard Knox 50 this year and to ride a total of at least 1200 miles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I started biking this time 1 year ago. I have gone from 308lbs down to 235 and am very happy with the success I have had this far. This year I am hoping to get to around 215LBS and incorporate some weight training.

mtbr member

2014 Weight and Fitness goals.

Quote Originally Posted by 1533clydesdale View Post
    I started biking this time 1 year ago. I have gone from 308lbs down to 235 and am very happy with the success I have had this far. This year I am hoping to get to around 215LBS and incorporate some weight training.
    Great job! Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well I posted last year and lost a little then gained it back this year I'm getting to 200 from 250ish right now, come hell or high water. Already had 5 days of good nutrition, drinking lots of water, green tea, and coffee only. Completely cut out my vise diet mt. Dew and other soft drinks. also cut out carbs after 3 pm, and eating much better. I already feel better, now just need to see the pounds drop. Hoping to ride at least 100 miles a month, also will be riding my elliptical and hitting the iron at the gym.
    Last edited by XCScott; 01-05-2014 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Ipad auto correct

mtbr member
    Goals: See my abs!!

Weight isn't an issue in my mind...

I have resting heart rate of 56 bpm, so my tickers ok [I guess]

my body fat percentage is around 15% - like to get that down to 10% or lower a.k.a see my abs...

I weigh 113kg currently... my better half says I can get a new ride when I drop to 100kg's [it aint gonna happen!!] <<== the weight thing, I'll be getting a new ride (sooner rather than later I hope)

If I get down to 106-108kg's I'd be happy

Also, increase hill climbing ability (harder for larger boys I figure)

mtbr member
    I'd like to drop ~50lbs, I used to rip at 215-220, just getting to that weight again would be fricken sweet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Iíve had a bit of a battle with weight. Long story short is that I ended up over 440 lbs and have gotten to a steady 270 lbs over the last few years (diet and exercise!). Iím 31 and have had to have a small low back surgery in 2011 and was told that I needed to go low impact. In 2013, I started biking with a splash (literally careening into a creek, gave the local fishermen quite a show). I realized that the bike I was borrowing was too small (yeah, thatís it) and got the Rockhopper I have now. I bike on trails and road rallyís because I think thatís fun too.

Anyway, my goals for this year:
    1) Lose another 40 lbs
    2) Regular weight training
    3) Figure out how to bike out of the saddle (this just feels really un-natural to me)
    4) Bike 60 miles in a day (working up to a century)
    5) Hit 1000 miles on a real bike and another 1000 in spin class

That should do it.

Iím at 90 miles for the year already (30 on the bike, 60 in spinÖ because itís cold out there!).

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Started caring and paying attention to my weight and nutrition on December 3 2013. In the last 70 days I've walked more miles than I can count, started running (C25k) and just put a deposit on a mountain bike.

I've changed my eating habits, smaller meals more often instead of 1 or 2 large, hi calorie meals, and I've been counting calories (MyFitnessPal)

In those 70 days I've come down from 260 lbs (at 6'1'') t0 229 lbs.

For the rest of this year I've set a target goal of 190 but I'm not sure if that is a realistic number because I'm not really about what weight I want to be, but rather how I want to look (hoping for the 6pack)

After the bikes come in (got one for the soon to be bride too) and I pay the balance on them, the next big purchase will be a free weights set for the spare room.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    My goal is primarily weight loss and general fitness improvement. I'm lucky enough to have some time off work so I'll be doing my own version of Biggest Loser lol I'm 378 now and hope to be under 300 by summer and @ 250 by end of year. For now it just feels great being on a bike again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Picked up my new cannondale sl4 today, plan to ride as much as possible, while also going to the gym 5 days a week. Sitting at 300 pounds now hoping to see 220 by years end with 1000+ miles on my bike

mtbr member
    Started at 320 last January. Hit 238 last year. Started doing CrossFit and added a bunch of muscle. Up to around 255 right now. Haven't ridden all winter but I've been doing CF three times a week so I'm still in as good or better shape than I was when I stopped riding. Got in around 1000 miles from June to about November.

This year...starting much sooner...like March weather permitting. Planning on at least doubling my miles if not tripling. Doing at least several century road rides. Goal is to drop 30-40 more pounds by end of the year. Goal #2...clean my eating back up. It's not terrible but I've definitely let it stray a little too far off the right path.

More time on my mountain bike. Most of my time last year was on the road. 90% of it I'd say. I'd like to try for 70/30 or 60/40.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I was at 428 18 months ago, got down to 335 and then climbed back up to 386 at Christmas 2013.
    Back down to 359 mainly due to Juicing, have changed my eating habits like nothing else.
    This has been a lifestyle change like nothing else I have ever done. I still eat and love meat, but now most of my meals are Mean Green Juice, and a sensible dinner.

Plan to finally break into the 200's by summer and get back into riding ever day.
    Too cold to ride this morning, was -20 here in northwestern Pa.
    2013 Specialized Carve Comp
    2013 Trek Ion CX Pro
    2010 Trek Navigator 3.0

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Going to pick up our first mtb bikes today and also ordered a Garmin Forerunner 310xt to do all my HRM and mileage while running/C25k and biking. Pretty stoked about getting in shape.

For anyone struggling with the weight loss, I've got a quick story that might be a little inspirational.

My fiancee joined weight watchers and lost 70+ pounds within a year and has turned into a gym rat, previously a couch potato. She was my drive to do the same, but I hated the thought of 1) logging everything I eat and 2) paying weight watchers to do it.

I found MyFitnessPal (.com, and/or smart phone app) and it basically does the same thing with calories, instead of turning them into Weight Watchers sometimes seemingly arbitrary Points Plus numbers. I've found that logging my food everyday is actually pretty easy and not annoying like I thought it would be, and it's absolutely free, instead of WW's $30 or whatever a month.

Try it out!

Add me on MFP if you want too... Jpaz357's profile | MyFitnessPal.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Getting married in August and would like to wear my Dress Blues (retired from the Corps in 2003). Currently weigh 235 and my goal is under 205. Just bought a mtn bike Tuesday so in addition to the gym 3-4 times a week I am going to ride 50+ miles per week. Using the "Map my Ride" app on iphone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Re: 2014 Weight and Fitness goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo22 View Post
    Getting married in August and would like to wear my Dress Blues (retired from the Corps in 2003). Currently weigh 235 and my goal is under 205. Just bought a mtn bike Tuesday so in addition to the gym 3-4 times a week I am going to ride 50+ miles per week. Using the "Map my Ride" app on iphone.
    Been using the map my_____ apps for a while. Good stuff!

Keep up with it, you should hit your goal by august no problem.

mtbr member
    got new bike - Kona Process 134... weight is 108kg at the mo... negotiated a 102.5kg goal, so I can saddle that bad boy! 5.5kg to go. Eating a lot of salads... off for a long/hilly ride tomorrow

Sent from my i9100 Warbird
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quit drinking and smoking Dec 15. I'm 435, down from 470. I used to race BMX as a teen so I naturally gravitated to a bike. If I can hit 350-300 by Christmas then hell yes! Already rode 9 hilly miles last week. Shooting for 16 tomorrow. I've been tracking with Sparkpeople and Runtastic. So far so good. I really missed riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Been on a weight roller coaster for the past couple years. Started out around 300lbs, down to 240lb, and now back up to 300lb. Bought and renovated a house, had a baby, and got married in the last 18 months. Been off the bikes for 7 months. Would love to ride my Full Susser without the lockout come spring. Looking forward to reducing my A cups back to a manly chest and get around my normal 9 mile loop in less then 2 hours<--way to many smoke breaks. Goal is to be 250 by July, and south of 225 by year end. Looking forward to sharing progress, offering and sharing support with the group!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Current weight is 310. Goal for this year is to get down to 250. Hopefully getting back into riding will help me attain it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast