Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    There are a few big boys on here so I thought I would share a bit more about my experience and maybe offer some advice.

If you are 300+, please think cautiously about doing any C25Ks or jogging. It is a lot of impact on your body and if your form is off you might really hurt yourself. Back surgery stinks and there are great low impact ways to get your cardio in! The main reason I started to loose weights is that I realized that I was too young to be waking up with back pain every day. I'm sure my case is different from yours, but I just wanted to throw this out there.

Also, if you are needing to loose a lot of weight, I would suggest starting slowly. Like, change one thing at a time and easy yourself into it kind of slowly. If you change a lot at one time, it's easy to change a lot back at one time if it gets to be too much.

The first thing I did was just start walking. That's all I changed for the first two weeks and only added more when it felt right. After walking, I started eating a bit healthier, then working out more, then portion control and am continuing to learn and change as I go.

It's a challenge and some days/weeks/months are harder than others. I've had some back issues relapse on me and then work gets in the way occasionally... But I fight the good fight.

According to my doctor, I'm a really healthy fat man now. It kind of surprises him. I'm still trying to loose those extra pounds but got to kick all my meds (and my CPAP!) a couple of years ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am late but want to join in.
    I started at 426 in 2013 lost a lot working out but never really changed my eating.
    Now I have and my goal is to hit 250 this year. Sub zero temps and snow killing the riding right now.

01-15 385
    02-18 366

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
    2013 Specialized Carve Comp
    2013 Trek Ion CX Pro
    2010 Trek Navigator 3.0

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well the goal is to go from 220 to 195-200 just started my program yesterday so off to the races.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Re: 2014 Weight and Fitness goals.

294lbs 3 weeks ago now down to 290, just done my first commute to work and back yesterday at just over 12 miles all in. I'm broken for it but proved a point that I can push myself. Goal for end of year is to be down to 230lbs.

Me now:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Didn't make my goal fully last year, but in 1.5 yrs 90lb loss so far only 30 of it last year. 275ish now.

Goal 240s range (ultimate goal of 230 but that's asking alot lol). Like to see it by late summer but goal is set for end of year.

Fitness goals
    Quit smoking!!!! This one is asap.

Have a paved path that's about 60miles long along Mississippi river, will ride it from end to end this year.

Mtb goal is making entire first (longest) climb at a local trailset (longest sustained climbs we have) without a break till top. Last attempt was 3 decent breathers. Bad day was not well rested at all lol. Should be able to make it with 2. Never walked at least.

Final overall goal is once commuting bike is done to commute to work no less than 4 days a week. I am not leaving my 29er ht out in the rain nor riding it on snowy yet salt/brine covered streets lol.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Those are awesome goals fellas! Much respect! Don't just rely on the biking tho, diet is huge plus working out in a gym (out of the cardio room tho, you already are MTBing) to strengthen your body to prevent injury and build longevity will help best in the long run. Weight training is huge and you can target many body parts or do overall functional movements to help with longevity.

Looking forward to seeing you meet your goals!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Didn't make my goal fully last year, but in 1.5 yrs 90lb loss so far only 30 of it last year. 275ish now.

Goal 240s range (ultimate goal of 230 but that's asking alot lol). Like to see it by late summer but goal is set for end of year.

Fitness goals
    Quit smoking!!!! This one is asap.

Have a paved path that's about 60miles long along Mississippi river, will ride it from end to end this year.

Mtb goal is making entire first (longest) climb at a local trailset (longest sustained climbs we have) without a break till top. Last attempt was 3 decent breathers. Bad day was not well rested at all lol. Should be able to make it with 2. Never walked at least.

Final overall goal is once commuting bike is done to commute to work no less than 4 days a week. I am not leaving my 29er ht out in the rain nor riding it on snowy yet salt/brine covered streets lol.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    Tigris99,

If you really want to quit smoking, I found a good (read not a cigalike) electronic cigarette worked wonders for me. I went from a pack to pack and a half a day smoking to not smoking in a day. I have truly not wanted a cigarette in over 18 months. Find an ecig shop in your area and take a look.

I really hope this helps!

Galen

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    New to the forum and to MTBing. I am almost 40 and overweight. I have to take blood pressure medicine right now and if I don't change my habits, I'll likely have to be prescribed cholesterol pills. Well that is going to change this year!!!!

My 2014 goals

1. Lose 80 lbs of fat to reach 205 (lost 17 lbs since 12/20).

2. Develop flexible nutrition plan to help lose weight and gain muscle. This is a plan where I know how much to eat and when. The plan will include the different meals that will fit into each area (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack). This will make it easy to pick and choose my meals for the week quickly and plan accordingly (shopping & cooking)

3. Ride at least 100 miles in one month

4. Do a Tough Mudder (looking at 11/2014)

5. Gain muscle mass

6. Develop regular workout and cardio routine which incorporates regular hiking and biking

7. Keep posting here

Good Luck to everyone and their goals!!

Jr

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    After 12 years off the bike, I am getting back on. My goal is to get down to 195 pounds. I have been walking 5 miles 3-4 times a week for the last month. I just got a new 29er and I am looking forward to getting back out in the dirt. My plan is to alternate days walking and riding at least 5 days a week. I am also trying to reduce my consumption of processed food and eating more fruits and vegetables. Once I regain a basic level of fitness I hope to find a riding partner or a mountain biking group to help me stay motivated.

I used to ride about 150+ miles a week, for years (mostly road miles). I know what it feels like to be fit. I doubt I will ever get back to where I was, but I am determined to get the f**k off the couch and get my life back.

mtbr member
    Well I can see the light at the end of the tunnel... When I weighed myself back October I was 114.6kg!! This morning (best time to do weigh-ins), I weighed 104.5kg - in 4 months I've lost 10kg :woot: initially it was riding 4-5 times a week (holiday season). Now back to the real world, work, school, etc. I've had less time to ride and have adjusted my eating habits. 2kg more (to lose) and I'll get to take my new Kona out on the trails (rather than around the back yard and up the drive). Really notice the difference around the old belly... Lost a little bit of muscle, I'll try and put what muscle I lost back on (less the grissol). Guess we're all weight weenies (sort of).

Sent from my i9100 Warbird
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I am starting out 394 I would like to get to 299 by 2015.

mtbr member
    Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and riding. I started Jan 1st 2014 at 457lbs and today I'm at 417lbs. I've totally changed my lifestyle and eating habits. My goal is 225lbs but that is a very long term goal.

I'm now in the process of building a hardtail 29er for my size. I picked up a 2014 Airborne Goblin but the stock wheels really didn't like me. Time to do some research on rims/hubs and spokes.
    Front a Champ to a Chump in just one bump.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    my goal is to be under 300 by the end of sept , my 45 birthday. i joined the ymca at the beginning of the month and have been doing the aqua charged low impact work outs 2 days a week then treadmill on the 3rd day of going . i dropped 5 pounds the first week and missed weigh in this week due to getting a cold, my last weigh in was 354 . i started to finish a build i started a few years back and that is building a trek 850 SS , i also have a cannondale f400 . if any of you care to fallow along on my journey please go to

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dewey...15397985161644

mtbr member
    Goal: 350

It's been four straight months of excessive work and no play, and my waist has paid dearly. I made it to 350 last summer, hope to be back there by December.

There are a lot of non-weight goals posted here, wondering if it would be easier to follow if we had a separate thread for other goals like Centuries, Ironmans, etc.

Edited to add I'm into my third week back on the bike. Since work took me off of it last November.
    Last edited by Flamingtaco; 05-12-2014 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Cause... stuff.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Does it count if i post in this thread at the almost done point?

2013 i received a promotion at work and moved to an office job over a field job. My comfortable weight is 220, but by Jan 1st this year i had crept up to 244.

Stage one, i started reducing calories. Not starving my self, but counting what was going in and making sure that 6 days out of 7 i went to bed at under 2000 calories (i give my self one cheat day per week, preferably Friday so i can "play" those calories away during the weekend). Ive always ridden hard on the weekends and surfed on the weekends as well when there are waves. I have always gone to the gym 2-3 times a week, so there was activity going on.

Took me just shy of two months to get back to 220 with this alone, but i plateaued. Back to my comfortable weight or not, i was determined to keep going. The benefits to my riding and surfing were very dramatic and i wanted more.

Stage two, i started doing one 30-35 min lap around the paved lake path by my house every weekday morning. 6.8 miles, i dont really push hard at all but i have done it consistently for going on 5 weeks now. I also do an evening lap once or twice a week when the mood hits me.

My plateau shattered. Weighed in at 211 yesterday. Im maybe one body fat % away from showing abs again for the first time in years. Gona keep pushing till i hit 205, and then shoot for a 205-210 maintenance range. At the rate i have been going, i should hit that mid to late April.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Rebooting!

Getting a late start this year... I let my routine get completely out of hand last year, and consequently, my health deteriorated markedly. My weight sky-rocketed, my fitness has deteriorated significantly along with my general health. I let it get bad... MY FAULT! 100%.

Time to make a change! While I was watching NETFLIX and eating, I stumbled across a movie that I believe has started me on a road to change my life for good! I have to... or I will die. And I want to live.

The movie is called "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead". It is currently available on NETFLIX and Amazon streaming (FREE on Amazon to Prime members).

Or you can view it on your computer at HERE!

The movie is about Joe Cross (another man named Phil) on his journey to REBOOT! his life. He was obese, sick, on powerful meds, and basically a cheeseburger away from death.

I had been contemplating/researching a move to the Paleo way of eating, but after watching this video, and because I am not yet fully prepared to go Paleo, I was inspired to try my own REBOOT!

Joe lost 100 lbs, healed himself of a serious auto-immune disease, and completely eliminated the need to take ANY medications. If Joe can do it, I can.

I encourage any/all of you to watch this movie. If it appeals to you, then I would welcome you to join me in my quest. If you are interested in joining me, here are some additional references that you might/will want.

RebootWithJoe.com - Joe Cross's website with tons of information on using his method to lose weight, get healthy, and reset your body's systems to perform as they are intended.

Reboot with Joe - Book available on Amazon.com (paperback or Kindle) I bought and read the Kindle version today. NOTE: this is a basic link, not an "associates" link. I derive NO financial benefit from its use. I am simply providing it because it is what I did.

Clydesdales - The reboot group I created with my friends here in mind. I created it today, and am currently the only member. You can join my group once you create a free login/account.

As soon as I confirm the first additional person to join the group with me, I will start a separate thread here in this forum for us to keep from clogging up this thread. I will post my progress, links, info, and answer questions there. (Paying it forward... in advance!)

MY reboot starts on April 7, 2014, and I am initially setting it as a 30-day plan, with an option to extend. While it would be great to have some folks join me for the start date, you can join my group anytime.

Today, I am 242.8 lbs, fat, miserable, sick, high blood pressure, can barely ride at all, in pain 24/7, and overall drowning in the suck. Time to change my life. Join me!

My goals:
    175 lbs.
    <10% body fat
    < 120/70 blood pressure
    DRASTIC reduction in total cholesterol and triglycerides with a significant increase in HDL and decrease in LDL.
    Put my body back in shape to race/win in our Fall XC races.

mtbr member
    I rode a bike as my primary means of trans for over 10 years but stopped riding a few years after my daughters birth. I weighed about 235 back then, riding between 100-300 miles a week. It's been about 15 years since I've ridden and my weight is around 390-400 pounds now. Last year I sold off my old Raleigh MTI1000 and used some of that money to purchase a Specialized Carve (29er). I took it down to a river trail we have here in Okc a few times and became VERY disheartened by how badly out of shape I have become, how little I am able to ride without getting out of breath. My bike came with **** for pedals and I used the need to get a new set, a pair of mtb shorts and a jersey long enough to cover my butt crack as an excuse not to ride.
    Nearly a full year later I have found the resolve to move forward and will be getting the pedals/clothes I need next week and will climb back on the saddle,this time to never leave again.
    I've recently found out about the American Diabetes Assoc's Tour De Cure, and their Red Rider program. While I don't believe I will be in shape enough to participate by the time this years event happens I have set riding in the 2015 ride as my goal. How many miles I'll ride depends on what kind of shape I'm in by then, I'm really excited about it.
    Be Water My Friend

mtbr member
    Tip time:

1) Use a calorie counter, religiously. It teaches you a lot about what you are getting from the foods you consume. Take the time to assess the things you eat and add to your counter the common items so you only have to scroll your list and click it. I use myfitnesspal because it lets me break down the foods I eat into full meals, recipes, single items, etc. It lets me key in custom exercise routines. For example, after doing a lot of reading and coming up with a decent cycling caloric burn graph, I added cycling at different average speeds to my menu so I can just select one and add in my time.
    DO NOT OVERTHINK THIS! You want to have an idea of what you are doing, not count each and every last calorie. If you go over on a day, or aren't too far under, don't worry about it. You will lose weight as long as you average under. Set a goal for yourself, but be realistic. I feel excited on days I manage to pull off 1000cal negative, but those are days I am damn exhausted, and I know I can't do it everyday. Don't try to beat the app everyday. I shoot for 4-5 days a week under, and an average of 1000cal under in any given week. I almost always meet that goal when I try.

2) Use an exercise counter. I use sportstracker as it has the only decently dark screen for my night rides. Use it religiouisly, and add the times to your calorie counter. Do not fall into the king of the mountain trap... you don't want to battle any else, or even yourself... ignore your speeds and times and be consistent in getting workouts in. Check your performance against yourself ONLY every three months for a nice surprise, then return to ignoring it.

3) Eat like you're diabetic. Seriously, toss those carbs out the window. Do NOT eat foods designed for diabetics, you will just end up paying a boatload of money for little foods. Most of the things we eat can be easily modifed to remove carbs without significantly affecting the enjoyment. Example... I eat skyline chili every week. Instead of the 3 servings of spaghetti you get at the restaurant, I make it at home with 1/4 serving or no spaghetti and up the onion to add texture. the chili itself is almost carb free. Another example is I changed my lunch sandwich from 5 slices ham and 2 slices bread to 5 slices ham, 5 slices chicken and one slice of bread. Dropped half the carbs right there (although there are a fwe carbs in the cheese slice).

Save those carbs for carb loading...

4) I stopped riding this winter because I lost two employees and have been worked 15 hours days since November. Not having time to prep for a commute, being exhausted to the point of going straight to bed when I get home... that's and thunderstorms are the only things that keep me off the bike. Don't let winter make you sit out, it's not that bad out there.

Deathly allergic to cold you say? Fine. Buy a roller trainer. No excuses!

I, too, started out walking. Fast, timed cardio walking. Did that for three months, then got a new bike and rode for a year before joining a gym and adding body work and incline walking to the mix. A little at a time, and before you know it you are doing 1000 calorie burns 3-5 times a week, and you barely feel it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

2014 Weight and Fitness goals.

Just want to congratulate everyone who's posting here and trying to better themselves. I'd like to join in.

I'm 29 years old, 5'10", and decided I want to change a couple weeks ago when I weighed 220. I haven't exercised regularly since about 22 years old. My goal weight is 170 lbs. When I realized that I was 220, now FIFTY lbs over my ideal weight, that hit me. I know that there are some bigger guys here, but 50 lbs really struck me.

I have been completely unhealthy with my diet. My worst habit: Mountain Dew. I was drinking between 80-100 ounces of dew every single day (for several years). Add to that the lack of exercise, and additional unhealthy eating, and it was pretty easy to see where the changes need to be made.

I've been riding my bike when I can, but Utah has been pretty wet so trails are too muddy to ride. Starting to sacrifice sleeping in a couple days a week now to go to the gym as well.

Happy to report that I'm down 10 lbs. Soda consumption is now a single 12 oz can of diet soda per day, and I plan to cut that out in the next week. Side note: quitting caffeine has been 10x harder than quitting smoking a few years ago was for me. Anyway, I'm starting to see some success, it feels good. And I just wanted to post this so that I can refer back to it in a few months, and also to make public my goals and plans.

Again, proud of everyone here who is working to become more healthy. Best of luck to all of us. Let's have a great season and reach our goals!

Lord Thunderbottom
    I don't have any numbers goals this year, ride hard and keep up with the skinny guys as best I can

I spent the winter doing intervals on the trainer and weight lifting, while gaining 10lbs over a wisconsin winter I dropped a pants size and had to buy new work shirts (smaller everywhere but the chest and arms)

I'm back to riding now so I cut calories back down, I estimate I was eating 4-5k daily for the last 5 months and pretty much maintaining my weight, I've cut down to 2500cal and man it's rough, seriously what are my calorie needs that I have a constant headache at 2500cal? I've dropped 4# this week so I'm guessing to slow down I need to up it a bit more
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    In 2013 I went from 225 to 203 at about this time a year; then it slowly headed north and I topped out at 230 on 4 January this year. I did manage to give up coke zero and drink unsweetened Pureleaf tea now; I will have the occasional real Dr Pepper.

On 5 January I started in earnest again. And this time I've added a treadmill to the house. So I have been running several times a week, sometimes out doors even, for between 2 and 10 miles at a shot. Also still biking several hundred plus miles per month--combination of road rides, mtb rides and trainer (Spinervals program).

Currently I sit at 201.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I initially had a goal of 2 pounds a week weight loss and 1600 cal day diet...I found with as much as I am exercising that doesn't cut it---I have some 1600 cal days but many 2200 cal days (and the occasional 3000+). It is hard to find the balance. Checkout Sparkpeople website; it helps....

Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    I don't have any numbers goals this year, ride hard and keep up with the skinny guys as best I can

I spent the winter doing intervals on the trainer and weight lifting, while gaining 10lbs over a wisconsin winter I dropped a pants size and had to buy new work shirts (smaller everywhere but the chest and arms)

I'm back to riding now so I cut calories back down, I estimate I was eating 4-5k daily for the last 5 months and pretty much maintaining my weight, I've cut down to 2500cal and man it's rough, seriously what are my calorie needs that I have a constant headache at 2500cal? I've dropped 4# this week so I'm guessing to slow down I need to up it a bit more

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nearing two years ago, I got a new job that has me working from home on a schedule that kept me busy from wake to night-time, limiting my options (and energy) for daily rides. The lack of a daily cycling commute, combined with a couple of injuries and a lot of bad excuses left me at 245lbs (up from 190) in March.
    I've moved to a new place with easier access to trails and a time zone that better matches my needs (working 6-3 now instead of 10-7). I am determined to find my old fitness and form. My goal for the year is to get down to 200 even, with a dream of getting back to 190.
    So far (two months in) I've dropped 15lbs through a steady diet of riding and doing more cooking for myself instead of eating out/ordering in. If I can manage to lose 1lb per week throughout the rest of 2014, I should be at my goal of 200 for the year. Even losing just 15lbs has left me feeling better - I am getting some of my stamina and power back. I can't wait to see what another 30 pounds will do.

My primary approach to weight loss will continue to be riding, backed up with cutting down on beer consumption and then paying more attention to what I eat. I've not got a lot of the cardinal sins of diet (no fast food, no soda, no sugary junk), but I do like to cook a heavy meal, and I'm not afraid of flavor (read: fat) in my dishes. I've been trying to be more careful in my meal choices, which should help in the long run.

Great to see a supportive forum here!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Still hanging tough and down to 195. Calories are up to 2500+ a day but I am burning lots with spinervals, mtb and road cycling, road and tail running. I've done a few half marathon runs very recently. Doing good. Still would like to see 175-180 again but it might be slow getting there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I started my weight loss quest at around 263 lbs and 6'2.5" a little over two years ago. Once I stated MTB consistently and counting calories, the weight came off. I was down to 225 last year and pretty fit, or so I thought. This year, I committed to myself to lose more so I could climb better. I bought an XC bike, and am riding a lot. I am now 208 lbs as of today, the lightest I have been in 20 plus years. I am 52, and in some of the best shape of my life. My new goal weight is 190, and at my height, I will be pretty fit.

Thing is, I struggle at times with energy. As mentioned, I count calories. I get a ton of food to eat because I do Cardio 5 days a week, so I can eat 2800 calories a day and lose weight, and that is on non cardio days. Now that I am basically thin, I plan to be a little more inclined to eat all my calories I earn, and not bank too many. When I go too much proteins and complex carbs, I notice energy can tend to suffer at times. Some days I am hiking 5 mile mtn climbs with my wife, then I ride 10 miles of mtn, then I ride 20 miles of road (on the Epic) in the same day, and I am burning ridiculous amounts of calories. I think I need to mellow out a bit and get more in a maintenance mode. Thanks to all who have contributed here. I plan to visit the Clyde forum often even after I'm below 200 which is only 8 lbs from now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast