mtbr member
    May 2013

2013 trek wahoo suitable for 385lb?

Hey everyone. Long story short I'm overweight and hoping to change that by getting into MTB riding. I was super motivated and put down a deposit for the half the cost on a trek wahoo 2013 29er this morning. I didnt even think until later about whether this bike could even support my weight and Im a newb to all of this so any feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    the bike will be okay as a fitness tool...Meaning riding it on asphalt and groomed dirt trails until you drop some weight. It wont put up with any true rough mountain biking at your weight. A little riding everyday goes along way toward weight loss, I've lost 68lbs so far this year by eating better and biking an hour a day (was 308). good job making a move in the right direction!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the response. Congrats on the weight loss! Hopefully I can have the same success you've experienced.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Agree that it will be sufficient for paved trail/road riding. If the shop offers free maintenance or free tune ups you may want to take it in every month or so to have them true/tension the wheels and give it a once over to make sure everything is in working order.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yup they actually do offer free maintenance and tune ups. Thanks for the advice as well, I can't wait to get out there and start riding!

mtbr member
    I personally have the Wahoo and it is a phenomenal bike. When I first got on the bike I weighed 257. granted that is a little more then 100lbs less then you I will alert you to stick to groomed trails or pavement like said above. I am a very aggressive rider and I tend to wreck equipment faster then the average person, and I still have had minimal issues with the bike. With that in mind I have to true up my rims almost weekly and I have bent a set of pedals within 100 miles of riding. I do commute with my bike and I am exceptionally hard on my drivetrain. If you are looking to get out and ride and not get crazy I think the Wahoo will be perfect for you.

P.S. I hear that bending the stock pedals on the Wahoo is not uncommon so maybe talk with your LBS about upgrading to a metal pedal right away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. I am 291# down from 302# about 5 weeks ago. I started looking at the wahoo and the mamba but after a lot of research, reading posts on MTBR, and knowing that i will get bored very fast just riding around on the roads/rail trail I decided that if im going to get back into this sport at my size I needed a bike that can handle it. I ended up way over my budget and got a 2013 Trek Stache 7 for $1549.00 at my LBS. It is the smartest thing I could have done. I ride the hell out of this bike and it just keeps on taking it. I had to finance it through my cc company but it is worth it. I just cant see spending that $600+ on something that I know I will end up having to keep replacing/repairing and in turn loose focus on the goal at hand. Get into shape and have fun doing it. I understand that this may not be possible for everyone but just wanted to give you my 2 cents as I know how hard it was for me. Best of luck.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by M320 View Post
    I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. I am 291# down from 302# about 5 weeks ago. I started looking at the wahoo and the mamba but after a lot of research, reading posts on MTBR, and knowing that i will get bored very fast just riding around on the roads/rail trail I decided that if im going to get back into this sport at my size I needed a bike that can handle it. I ended up way over my budget and got a 2013 Trek Stache 7 for $1549.00 at my LBS. It is the smartest thing I could have done. I ride the hell out of this bike and it just keeps on taking it. I had to finance it through my cc company but it is worth it. I just cant see spending that $600+ on something that I know I will end up having to keep replacing/repairing and in turn loose focus on the goal at hand. Get into shape and have fun doing it. I understand that this may not be possible for everyone but just wanted to give you my 2 cents as I know how hard it was for me. Best of luck.

i wish I could afford to get something high end like that right now. The wahoo will at least allow me to start exercising now but I do see your point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I agree to a point with M320, because when I started I just wanted something that could handle my weight. I honestly did not know about any single track trails/mountain trails in my area. Now that some of the weight is off, and I have found some great trails in my area, I wish I had bought a higher-end bike.

I bought the Marlin, which is in between the wahoo and mamba, and I love it. Honestly it can handle the trails, and I only wish for a far more expensive bike is because I am in these threads too much and they make me want to spend more money. I do need/want to upgrade my front fork, and when I mention that at my LBS, they reply with I should have gotten an higher-end bike.

My thing to you is, if you can only afford the Wahoo, then get it, heck your gonna end up spending more money for other things, so the buck doesn’t stop there with just the bike.

I did have to change the peddles, and I did upgrade my seat and handgrips. Bought the cycle computer to help me keep up with distance and speed, which will help you with your workout.

You are gonna spend plenty on riding gear.

I could be wrong, but at 385Lbs, I really don’t see you hitting the hard trails anytime too soon, but maybe at the end of the year you will?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Get what you can afford and upgrade when you can. The number one goal is to get back out there and have fun. Wahoo or Stache 7..... they both work the same when we are walking them up the hill.... lol. Best wishes on on you weight loss journey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by M320 View Post
    Get what you can afford and upgrade when you can. The number one goal is to get back out there and have fun. Wahoo or Stache 7..... they both work the same when we are walking them up the hill.... lol. Best wishes on on you weight loss journey.
    What would be the difference between the Wahoo or Stache 7 if you were to ride them up the hill?