mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2013 Trance-X 29er 2 officially broken my Maestro Link twice

Hello all,

I'd be interested to know if anyone out there has had a similar problem with the Maestro link on the 2013 Trance-X 29er? I brought mine back in March. It is an X-Large and I weigh in around 215 lbs. I snapped the lower link on the left hand side near the crank which riding in VT back in June. I got a warrantee replacement and then snapped that one in early August. I am on my third link and want to know if this is going to be a pattern and if others have had this issue? I know the 2010 Reign had this problem, but any others Maestro systems that you know about?

Thanks. Matt.

mtbr member
    Try the Giant forum for more feedback...
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Wow that's a pretty major linkage failure. I'm sure Giant would have something to say about that...particularly since the bike is so new.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    They warrantied it and are sending me a new one. Unfortunately, it's not available until week 4. But, my local bike shop gave me one off of there 2013 demo's. LBS's rock!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Exactly. Giant warranted twice. Just waiting for the next failure. I also hear giant is getting away from 29ers next year and going to 27.5 on all bikes. Not sure validity of that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My LBS (a Giant shop) alluded to them switching over to all 27.5, too, but he stopped short of quoting anybody.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I had the same linkage failure in August 2013. Bike bought in October 2012. Alot of miles on it and 4 enduro's. Took giant 6 weeks to get it replaced under warranty. Lbs mechanic suspects this is caused when the linkage bearings get rough and cannot move. These bearing (in the frame) needed replacement when the replacement linkage was returned. Last week I services the rear shock and discovered one bearing has little movement.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    This reminds me of the Reign X issue from a few years backs, but not as widespread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I don't have the Trance but I have the Anthem X and mine cracked right at the top tube/seat tube section. They replaced it but I'm worried about the new frame breaking too. I don't know what's going on with Giant lately.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Trance-X 29er 2 officially broken my Maestro Link twice-2013-10-03-10.10.35.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My Trance X29-1 (XL) cracked very same place as the Anthem in the pic above. New frame on the way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shwndh View Post
    I don't have the Trance but I have the Anthem X and mine cracked right at the top tube/seat tube section. They replaced it but I'm worried about the new frame breaking too. I don't know what's going on with Giant lately.
    There's nothing wrong with them, percentage wise they break just as often as any other brand... but you hear a lot more about them because they sell a lot of bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with them, percentage wise they break just as often as any other brand... but you hear a lot more about them because they sell a lot of bikes.
    I should also add I'm 6'4" and 250lbs and did a full season of Enduro on it so I'm not in the norm. New frame coming from Giant under warranty so time for 27.5 upgrade.