Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

2012 weight and fitness goals

Ive read some of the weight loss stories on here and they are very inspiring. I got into cycling a few months ago mainly for fitness and it certainly has helped my cardio.

This year I want to use it as part of my overall fitness strategy to get into the best shape I have been in years.

I'm calling this 3333...my first quarter goal.

3 bike rides a week . Probably a rotation of 2 off road and 1 on road and vise versa.

3 runs per week. Usually that is my early AM workout

3 resistance training workouts a week. Good old fashioned iron

I am 6'4" and 240 pds right now and 22 pct body fat. The goal is 18 pct fat and around 230 pds. I'm not so concerned about the weight number as I am the fat. I was 280 plus pounds 3 years ago and have kept it off. Now it's time to find some abs.

My work out intensity depends on the day. I track every calorie burnt with digifit (great app!) on the iPhone. 500 min burn per day with only one day off per week. 800 to 1000 cals avg per day and 1500 is a high day.

Diet is lean with about 1800 cals per day tracked on live strong.com iPhone app

Should lose 1-1.5 pounds per week or so depending on any additional muscle added.

Anybody else want to post their goals?
    Last edited by The next challenge; 01-02-2012 at 06:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Loose the 10 lbs I will put on this winter due to a little too much in-activity!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It's a little easier here In the south with no snow

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Goal for 2012 is to actually do this...lose the weight. 245 --> 170 by September for my sisters wedding.

Tracking calories and workouts with my fitness pal on my android.

I plan to ride more than I ever have. I logged a measly 240 miles last season, I plan to at least hit 1000 this coming season.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Went from 250 to 199 since August. Weird how diet and exercise will do that...who knew?

Goal for the year is 175 - 180 - I'll know when I get there...been cardio, cardio cardio during the weight loss phase, gonna have to add weights back in and then maintain.

Mini goals are 185 by April 1 - 15 fewer pounds to drag around Moab won't hurt.
    175 by June 1 - gotta be trim for Speedo season!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by The next challenge View Post
    I track every calorie burnt with dignified on the iPhone. 500 min burn per day with only one day off per week. 800 to 1000 cals avg per day and 1500 is a high day.

Diet is lean with about 1800 cals per day tracked on live strong.com iPhone app

Should lose 1-1.5 pounds per week or so depending on any additional muscle added.

Anybody else want to post their goals?
    If your only eating 1800 calories a day and burning 800-1000 calories on avg per day, your weight loss goal should be no problem at all. Maintaining your current lean body mass without losing any muscle mass might be difficult as you wouldn't be eating enough calories to build mass. At 230lbs, your goal weight, your BMR (calories burned per day at rest) is approximately 2200 calories for a 35yr old.....a little less if older, a little more if younger. You would need to eat that amount of calories just to maintain that weight.

To aid in muscle mass retention, I would suggest supplementing your diet with a 100% whey protein powder (minimal or no carbs in it). A good powder will give you 20grams of protein per serving. Do that twice a day would add 40 grams of muscle building protein to your diet to assist you in maintaining some of your lean body mass with only a gain of approximately 200 high quality calories. That would put your intake at approx 2000 calories which would be enough to support your goal of 188lbs of lean body mass to be 230lbs @ 18.5% BF.

As for my goals, I am 325lbs at 17.5% bodyfat with a lean body mass of about 270lbs. Goal will be 300lbs by July 1st @ 13.5% with LBM of 260lbs. I weight train 5 days per week (Mon-Fri), Stationary bike 2X/week (hill training-high intensity 30 minutes). 1-2 rides on the weekends.....weather permitting now that I live in Massachusetts. I was 360 @ 30% BF roughly 3 years ago. I have added about 20lbs of muscle while losing 35lbs in the process. I 've been stuck at this weight for about a year fluctuating from 325-335lbs with inconsistent diet, but rededicating myself this year.

Good luck with your GOALS!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post
    If your only eating 1800 calories a day and burning 800-1000 calories on avg per day, your weight loss goal should be no problem at all. Maintaining your current lean body mass without losing any muscle mass might be difficult as you wouldn't be eating enough calories to build mass. At 230lbs, your goal weight, your BMR (calories burned per day at rest) is approximately 2200 calories for a 35yr old.....a little less if older, a little more if younger. You would need to eat that amount of calories just to maintain that weight.

To aid in muscle mass retention, I would suggest supplementing your diet with a 100% whey protein powder (minimal or no carbs in it). A good powder will give you 20grams of protein per serving. Do that twice a day would add 40 grams of muscle building protein to your diet to assist you in maintaining some of your lean body mass with only a gain of approximately 200 high quality calories. That would put your intake at approx 2000 calories which would be enough to support your goal of 188lbs of lean body mass to be 230lbs @ 18.5% BF.

As for my goals, I am 325lbs at 17.5% bodyfat with a lean body mass of about 270lbs. Goal will be 300lbs by July 1st @ 13.5% with LBM of 260lbs. I weight train 5 days per week (Mon-Fri), Stationary bike 2X/week (hill training-high intensity 30 minutes). 1-2 rides on the weekends.....weather permitting now that I live in Massachusetts. I was 360 @ 30% BF roughly 3 years ago. I have added about 20lbs of muscle while losing 35lbs in the process. I 've been stuck at this weight for about a year fluctuating from 325-335lbs with inconsistent diet, but rededicating myself this year.

Good luck with your GOALS!
    Thanks for the input and the numbers. You are spot on.

I use a protein shake 2 times a day in this plan. Usually between meals.

A 2 a day morning is something like this

5 am wake up with either oatmeal or some other carb based small breakfast and a 2-3 mile run. By 630 I have a protein shake and with this kind of schedule usually some creating mixed in.

Sun comes up and it's a 15-25 mile road bike or a 6-10 mile man bike ride.

Thn usually some scrambled eggs and small complex carbs to replenish.

Thats a 700-1000 cal burn day before 9 am

Other days are the run OR the ride in the AM then the gym at 5. Another 7-1k burn depending on intensity.

1500 cal days are just longer rides/runs and or higher intensity.

I'm starting out at 1800 cals as I did a similar ruitine at 2200 cals and didn't drop very much. My cardio shape improved but the fat didn't come off like I would like. I weigh daily measuring fat/muscle so if I see muscle depleting ill add some proteins to try and keep it.

After this three months I'll lower my cardio, probably limit the running, and step up the weight training. With that the cals will go up to the mid 2000 range to help push the muscle weight up

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm 6-4 and 240lbs. I have no idea about percent fat, Bmi, etc. Been riding pretty steady since July 1(640miles on MTB so far) and I can definitely tell a difference cardio/strength wise although I haven't lost a pound. Haven't gained any either.

I'm looking for a good plan to drop at least 15lbs by June. I will admit I hate going to the gym and I would rather ride 15+ miles on by MTB everyday instead. I have no idea how many calories I consume a day and have never tried to track it. I'm 36 years old and have no idea where to start on this goal. Help!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    First off let's start by finding out what your BMR is. That's your basil metabolic rate which is how many cals you burn a day basically doing nothing. I looked up a very simple BMR calculator online and you burn about 2250 cals per day. You and I are very close to the same size so are BMR is almost the same.

What I would do is start off at a 1800-2000 cal diet and then make sure your burning about 500 cals a day. Around of fat is 3500 cals. You would be about 700 cals a day under your BMR. If you took one day off a week you would lose about 1 pound a week. 1-2 pounds is a very safe way to lose the weight.

If you see the weight is not coming off then adjust your diet down 200 cals at a time for a good week to 10 days. Start at 2000, if the weight number does to change over about 3 weeks then lower it to 1800.

Next find a way to track your food intake. If you have a smart phone there are a lot of apps that are a great help. I use livestrong.com You can also use it online so if you don't have a phone just write down everything and then input it at the end of the day. You are going to be surprised the cal content of food so get used to looking at labels and calculating some correct portion sizes.

Try and eat smaller meals multiple times a day. Preferably 5 times. Eat no more than 400 cals at a time and get a good portion of protein. Watch your carb intake especially at night but you will need some good complex carbs for fuel for your workouts and replace afterwards.

Last thing I always recommend is get a heart monitor and track your burn. You will be amazed at how hard it is to burn 600 calories and how easy it is to eat it. I use digifit on my iPhone to track every workout and it's a great motivator. It will cost you about 100 bucks to set it all up once you buy a strap to wear but it's very worth it.

Then just get after it! It's a lifestyle change but well worth the effort. I started 3 years ago at about 280+ and while it's hard work it is definitely worth every minute of it.

If you have any questions just let me know!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just recently got a Garmin FR60 sports watch with HR Monitor. So far I have been surprised how many calories I burn on a ride. Yesterday I hit my usual 15 mile loop pretty hard and the Garmin calculated 1700+ calories burned, don't remember the exact number...

I will check out the live strong app.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    First off let's start by finding out what your BMR is. That's your basil metabolic rate which is how many cals you burn a day basically doing nothing. I looked up a very simple BMR calculator online and you burn about 2250 cals per day. You and I are very close to the same size so are BMR is almost the same.

What I would do is start off at a 1800-2000 cal diet and then make sure your burning about 500 cals a day. Around of fat is 3500 cals. You would be about 700 cals a day under your BMR. If you took one day off a week you would lose about 1 pound a week. 1-2 pounds is a very safe way to lose the weight.

If you see the weight is not coming off then adjust your diet down 200 cals at a time for a good week to 10 days. Start at 2000, if the weight number does to change over about 3 weeks then lower it to 1800.

Next find a way to track your food intake. If you have a smart phone there are a lot of apps that are a great help. I use livestrong.com You can also use it online so if you don't have a phone just write down everything and then input it at the end of the day. You are going to be surprised the cal content of food so get used to looking at labels and calculating some correct portion sizes.

Try and eat smaller meals multiple times a day. Preferably 5 times. Eat no more than 400 cals at a time and get a good portion of protein. Watch your carb intake especially at night but you will need some good complex carbs for fuel for your workouts and replace afterwards.

Last thing I always recommend is get a heart monitor and track your burn. You will be amazed at how hard it is to burn 600 calories and how easy it is to eat it. I use digifit on my iPhone to track every workout and it's a great motivator. It will cost you about 100 bucks to set it all up once you buy a strap to wear but it's very worth it.

Then just get after it! It's a lifestyle change but well worth the effort. I started 3 years ago at about 280+ and while it's hard work it is definitely worth every minute of it.

If you have any questions just let me know!

Well said!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's great. As long as the device allowed you to enter your age, weight, and some sort of fitness level then it should be pretty accurate. I seem to burn about 80-90 cals a mile on my mountain bike going at a pretty hard pace with my HR in the mid 140's consistently. On the road bike it's about 50-60 cals and running is about 90-110 per mile. All depends on the pace

I do make it a rule that when you have a intense work out like-1500-2000 cals I take the next day off. You have to let your body repair a bit or you will wear out. Just as many people stop working because they overwork then underwork. Just watch the gym Jan......it will be packed. Come back in March and it's almost empty.

When I take a day off I really try and watch the diet and eat really clean.

Here are some simple get started rules for diet. Nothing fried (hamburgers, French fries, etc). No sugar (drink diet drinks in moderation) watch the white stuff. (substitute wheat for,white bread, wheat for white pasta, mustard for mayo, and watch the cheese).

Drink absurd amounts of water. At your body weight you should be drinking 1 gallon of water a day PLUS what you need during your exercise. Have 4 1 liter bottles ready every day. I try and make it a rule to be done with my second bottle with lunch. For the first few days or so you will be in the bathroom a lot but your body will acclimate. Rule of thumb here (this next sentence may be a bit distasteful) is when your pee is just a hint of yellow you are hydrated. If its completely clear you are saturated and you can back off a bit. If your taking a multi vitamin it may be a bit yellow anyway so take that into consideration.

You should take some kind of multi. I like mega man packs from GNC they have all the essentials in one pack. Some of them have a pretty simple diuretic supplement in them which is a good starting point to help drive up your metabolism. Just depends on how you handle caffeine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for all the tips.

Yes the fr60 did ask my age, height, weight,etc when I set it up. I've done 4 days in a row of 15+ mile mtb rides. Taking off today.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Good deal then it should be decently accurate.

Taking the day off is a good plan. That much burn that many days in a row is pretty intensive.

Keep on mind your body will go into a bit of a shock for a week or two as you change your diet and lower your intake and up your workouts. It will want to retain so your loss may be slow at first. Just push through it and it will get steady. Also listen to your body, if you need a rest day take it.

15 miles on a mtb is a great workout. What is your avg HR during that ride and how long does it take you to cover that mileage?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    thanks for starting this thread... was just going to but it's already done for me ...

for those that would like to see last years stuff (2011) you can find it here
    Fat boy challenge 2011... whats your goals for this year?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Good deal then it should be decently accurate.

Taking the day off is a good plan. That much burn that many days in a row is pretty intensive.

Keep on mind your body will go into a bit of a shock for a week or two as you change your diet and lower your intake and up your workouts. It will want to retain so your loss may be slow at first. Just push through it and it will get steady. Also listen to your body, if you need a rest day take it.

15 miles on a mtb is a great workout. What is your avg HR during that ride and how long does it take you to cover that mileage?
    15 miles is about 1 hour 20 minutes. My Avg HR has been around 160 for the ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's a strong ride and avg of 160 is almost 90 pct of your max. Your in pretty darn good cardio shape to be able to sustain that HR level. That makes it that much easier to burn the calories you need to on a consistent basis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    thanks for starting this thread... was just going to but it's already done for me ...

for those that would like to see last years stuff (2011) you can find it here
    Fat boy challenge 2011... whats your goals for this year?

No problem. Hopefully we can push each other to meet or exceed our goals this year.

mtbr member
    Loose around 30lbs. Log a lot of miles and ride harder trails, including downhill.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's a strong ride and avg of 160 is almost 90 pct of your max. Your in pretty darn good cardio shape to be able to sustain that HR level. That makes it that much easier to burn the calories you need to on a consistent basis.
    How did you figure my max? According to my HR monitor the max it has recorded is 186 on a ride. Granted I have only used the HR monitor on 4 rides so far. It was Xmas gift from wife.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Started at 250 lbs on June 9th- 6'5", 46 years old. Am now down to 218, 22% BF. My goal this year is to get to 15-18% BF via diet and exercise. Ride 3-4 days a week, all on trails, about 50-60 miles a week average. Weight train 3x a week. My BMR is about 2000 calories, and I burn between 600 and 700 calories average a day in fitness routines. Figure I need to keep caloric intake at about 1800 calories a day, and I should be at my BF goal in about 3-4 months. Gotta cut out the beer....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank TJ View Post
    How did you figure my max? According to my HR monitor the max it has recorded is 186 on a ride. Granted I have only used the HR monitor on 4 rides so far. It was Xmas gift from wife.
    Simplest way to figure your max is to take 220 and subtract your age. There are some more complex equations that take your resting heart rate into consideration but the 220/age gets you pretty darn close.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr View Post
    Started at 250 lbs on June 9th- 6'5", 46 years old. Am now down to 218, 22% BF. My goal this year is to get to 15-18% BF via diet and exercise. Ride 3-4 days a week, all on trails, about 50-60 miles a week average. Weight train 3x a week. My BMR is about 2000 calories, and I burn between 600 and 700 calories average a day in fitness routines. Figure I need to keep caloric intake at about 1800 calories a day, and I should be at my BF goal in about 3-4 months. Gotta cut out the beer....
    You are on the right track and have a great start on the new year! Congrats on the changes.

Yeah the beer gets me a bit also. On the weekends mainly. I do drink ultras even though I would rather have a Sam Adams! Vodka and diet tonic is about the safest as far as cals. But my goal in the first 3 months is to do without except for 2 special,occasions. My Bday and a hunting trip.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm 24 and 6' 2'' and was doing alright on my weight loss until I got injured at work and wasn't able to do much of anything. I'm finally able to start walking without much pain again so I've been walking on the treadmill at the gym. Still can't lift weights because of my shoulder. My goal is to be 225 by the end of April, which will definitely be tough, but I want to join the National Guard so I need to step it up. Also, I definitely plan on riding more this year, I was so busy last year and the trails are 35 miles away from me that I never had enough time to get there.
    2005 Gary Fisher Advance
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm 40 and 293lbs, need to get down to 196lbs... question whats the best road tires or MTB wheels are 26 x 2.25 for heavy riders.. my bike is a cube ltd 2010... I'm currently using nobby nic tires.. but want to change them.....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast