Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

2012 weight and fitness goals

Ive read some of the weight loss stories on here and they are very inspiring. I got into cycling a few months ago mainly for fitness and it certainly has helped my cardio.

This year I want to use it as part of my overall fitness strategy to get into the best shape I have been in years.

I'm calling this 3333...my first quarter goal.

3 bike rides a week . Probably a rotation of 2 off road and 1 on road and vise versa.

3 runs per week. Usually that is my early AM workout

3 resistance training workouts a week. Good old fashioned iron

I am 6'4" and 240 pds right now and 22 pct body fat. The goal is 18 pct fat and around 230 pds. I'm not so concerned about the weight number as I am the fat. I was 280 plus pounds 3 years ago and have kept it off. Now it's time to find some abs.

My work out intensity depends on the day. I track every calorie burnt with digifit (great app!) on the iPhone. 500 min burn per day with only one day off per week. 800 to 1000 cals avg per day and 1500 is a high day.

Diet is lean with about 1800 cals per day tracked on live strong.com iPhone app

Should lose 1-1.5 pounds per week or so depending on any additional muscle added.

Anybody else want to post their goals?
    Last edited by The next challenge; 01-02-2012 at 07:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Loose the 10 lbs I will put on this winter due to a little too much in-activity!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It's a little easier here In the south with no snow

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Goal for 2012 is to actually do this...lose the weight. 245 --> 170 by September for my sisters wedding.

Tracking calories and workouts with my fitness pal on my android.

I plan to ride more than I ever have. I logged a measly 240 miles last season, I plan to at least hit 1000 this coming season.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Went from 250 to 199 since August. Weird how diet and exercise will do that...who knew?

Goal for the year is 175 - 180 - I'll know when I get there...been cardio, cardio cardio during the weight loss phase, gonna have to add weights back in and then maintain.

Mini goals are 185 by April 1 - 15 fewer pounds to drag around Moab won't hurt.
    175 by June 1 - gotta be trim for Speedo season!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by The next challenge View Post
    I track every calorie burnt with dignified on the iPhone. 500 min burn per day with only one day off per week. 800 to 1000 cals avg per day and 1500 is a high day.

Diet is lean with about 1800 cals per day tracked on live strong.com iPhone app

Should lose 1-1.5 pounds per week or so depending on any additional muscle added.

Anybody else want to post their goals?
    If your only eating 1800 calories a day and burning 800-1000 calories on avg per day, your weight loss goal should be no problem at all. Maintaining your current lean body mass without losing any muscle mass might be difficult as you wouldn't be eating enough calories to build mass. At 230lbs, your goal weight, your BMR (calories burned per day at rest) is approximately 2200 calories for a 35yr old.....a little less if older, a little more if younger. You would need to eat that amount of calories just to maintain that weight.

To aid in muscle mass retention, I would suggest supplementing your diet with a 100% whey protein powder (minimal or no carbs in it). A good powder will give you 20grams of protein per serving. Do that twice a day would add 40 grams of muscle building protein to your diet to assist you in maintaining some of your lean body mass with only a gain of approximately 200 high quality calories. That would put your intake at approx 2000 calories which would be enough to support your goal of 188lbs of lean body mass to be 230lbs @ 18.5% BF.

As for my goals, I am 325lbs at 17.5% bodyfat with a lean body mass of about 270lbs. Goal will be 300lbs by July 1st @ 13.5% with LBM of 260lbs. I weight train 5 days per week (Mon-Fri), Stationary bike 2X/week (hill training-high intensity 30 minutes). 1-2 rides on the weekends.....weather permitting now that I live in Massachusetts. I was 360 @ 30% BF roughly 3 years ago. I have added about 20lbs of muscle while losing 35lbs in the process. I 've been stuck at this weight for about a year fluctuating from 325-335lbs with inconsistent diet, but rededicating myself this year.

Good luck with your GOALS!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post
    If your only eating 1800 calories a day and burning 800-1000 calories on avg per day, your weight loss goal should be no problem at all. Maintaining your current lean body mass without losing any muscle mass might be difficult as you wouldn't be eating enough calories to build mass. At 230lbs, your goal weight, your BMR (calories burned per day at rest) is approximately 2200 calories for a 35yr old.....a little less if older, a little more if younger. You would need to eat that amount of calories just to maintain that weight.

To aid in muscle mass retention, I would suggest supplementing your diet with a 100% whey protein powder (minimal or no carbs in it). A good powder will give you 20grams of protein per serving. Do that twice a day would add 40 grams of muscle building protein to your diet to assist you in maintaining some of your lean body mass with only a gain of approximately 200 high quality calories. That would put your intake at approx 2000 calories which would be enough to support your goal of 188lbs of lean body mass to be 230lbs @ 18.5% BF.

As for my goals, I am 325lbs at 17.5% bodyfat with a lean body mass of about 270lbs. Goal will be 300lbs by July 1st @ 13.5% with LBM of 260lbs. I weight train 5 days per week (Mon-Fri), Stationary bike 2X/week (hill training-high intensity 30 minutes). 1-2 rides on the weekends.....weather permitting now that I live in Massachusetts. I was 360 @ 30% BF roughly 3 years ago. I have added about 20lbs of muscle while losing 35lbs in the process. I 've been stuck at this weight for about a year fluctuating from 325-335lbs with inconsistent diet, but rededicating myself this year.

Good luck with your GOALS!
    Thanks for the input and the numbers. You are spot on.

I use a protein shake 2 times a day in this plan. Usually between meals.

A 2 a day morning is something like this

5 am wake up with either oatmeal or some other carb based small breakfast and a 2-3 mile run. By 630 I have a protein shake and with this kind of schedule usually some creating mixed in.

Sun comes up and it's a 15-25 mile road bike or a 6-10 mile man bike ride.

Thn usually some scrambled eggs and small complex carbs to replenish.

Thats a 700-1000 cal burn day before 9 am

Other days are the run OR the ride in the AM then the gym at 5. Another 7-1k burn depending on intensity.

1500 cal days are just longer rides/runs and or higher intensity.

I'm starting out at 1800 cals as I did a similar ruitine at 2200 cals and didn't drop very much. My cardio shape improved but the fat didn't come off like I would like. I weigh daily measuring fat/muscle so if I see muscle depleting ill add some proteins to try and keep it.

After this three months I'll lower my cardio, probably limit the running, and step up the weight training. With that the cals will go up to the mid 2000 range to help push the muscle weight up

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm 6-4 and 240lbs. I have no idea about percent fat, Bmi, etc. Been riding pretty steady since July 1(640miles on MTB so far) and I can definitely tell a difference cardio/strength wise although I haven't lost a pound. Haven't gained any either.

I'm looking for a good plan to drop at least 15lbs by June. I will admit I hate going to the gym and I would rather ride 15+ miles on by MTB everyday instead. I have no idea how many calories I consume a day and have never tried to track it. I'm 36 years old and have no idea where to start on this goal. Help!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    First off let's start by finding out what your BMR is. That's your basil metabolic rate which is how many cals you burn a day basically doing nothing. I looked up a very simple BMR calculator online and you burn about 2250 cals per day. You and I are very close to the same size so are BMR is almost the same.

What I would do is start off at a 1800-2000 cal diet and then make sure your burning about 500 cals a day. Around of fat is 3500 cals. You would be about 700 cals a day under your BMR. If you took one day off a week you would lose about 1 pound a week. 1-2 pounds is a very safe way to lose the weight.

If you see the weight is not coming off then adjust your diet down 200 cals at a time for a good week to 10 days. Start at 2000, if the weight number does to change over about 3 weeks then lower it to 1800.

Next find a way to track your food intake. If you have a smart phone there are a lot of apps that are a great help. I use livestrong.com You can also use it online so if you don't have a phone just write down everything and then input it at the end of the day. You are going to be surprised the cal content of food so get used to looking at labels and calculating some correct portion sizes.

Try and eat smaller meals multiple times a day. Preferably 5 times. Eat no more than 400 cals at a time and get a good portion of protein. Watch your carb intake especially at night but you will need some good complex carbs for fuel for your workouts and replace afterwards.

Last thing I always recommend is get a heart monitor and track your burn. You will be amazed at how hard it is to burn 600 calories and how easy it is to eat it. I use digifit on my iPhone to track every workout and it's a great motivator. It will cost you about 100 bucks to set it all up once you buy a strap to wear but it's very worth it.

Then just get after it! It's a lifestyle change but well worth the effort. I started 3 years ago at about 280+ and while it's hard work it is definitely worth every minute of it.

If you have any questions just let me know!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just recently got a Garmin FR60 sports watch with HR Monitor. So far I have been surprised how many calories I burn on a ride. Yesterday I hit my usual 15 mile loop pretty hard and the Garmin calculated 1700+ calories burned, don't remember the exact number...

I will check out the live strong app.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    First off let's start by finding out what your BMR is. That's your basil metabolic rate which is how many cals you burn a day basically doing nothing. I looked up a very simple BMR calculator online and you burn about 2250 cals per day. You and I are very close to the same size so are BMR is almost the same.

What I would do is start off at a 1800-2000 cal diet and then make sure your burning about 500 cals a day. Around of fat is 3500 cals. You would be about 700 cals a day under your BMR. If you took one day off a week you would lose about 1 pound a week. 1-2 pounds is a very safe way to lose the weight.

If you see the weight is not coming off then adjust your diet down 200 cals at a time for a good week to 10 days. Start at 2000, if the weight number does to change over about 3 weeks then lower it to 1800.

Next find a way to track your food intake. If you have a smart phone there are a lot of apps that are a great help. I use livestrong.com You can also use it online so if you don't have a phone just write down everything and then input it at the end of the day. You are going to be surprised the cal content of food so get used to looking at labels and calculating some correct portion sizes.

Try and eat smaller meals multiple times a day. Preferably 5 times. Eat no more than 400 cals at a time and get a good portion of protein. Watch your carb intake especially at night but you will need some good complex carbs for fuel for your workouts and replace afterwards.

Last thing I always recommend is get a heart monitor and track your burn. You will be amazed at how hard it is to burn 600 calories and how easy it is to eat it. I use digifit on my iPhone to track every workout and it's a great motivator. It will cost you about 100 bucks to set it all up once you buy a strap to wear but it's very worth it.

Then just get after it! It's a lifestyle change but well worth the effort. I started 3 years ago at about 280+ and while it's hard work it is definitely worth every minute of it.

If you have any questions just let me know!

Well said!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's great. As long as the device allowed you to enter your age, weight, and some sort of fitness level then it should be pretty accurate. I seem to burn about 80-90 cals a mile on my mountain bike going at a pretty hard pace with my HR in the mid 140's consistently. On the road bike it's about 50-60 cals and running is about 90-110 per mile. All depends on the pace

I do make it a rule that when you have a intense work out like-1500-2000 cals I take the next day off. You have to let your body repair a bit or you will wear out. Just as many people stop working because they overwork then underwork. Just watch the gym Jan......it will be packed. Come back in March and it's almost empty.

When I take a day off I really try and watch the diet and eat really clean.

Here are some simple get started rules for diet. Nothing fried (hamburgers, French fries, etc). No sugar (drink diet drinks in moderation) watch the white stuff. (substitute wheat for,white bread, wheat for white pasta, mustard for mayo, and watch the cheese).

Drink absurd amounts of water. At your body weight you should be drinking 1 gallon of water a day PLUS what you need during your exercise. Have 4 1 liter bottles ready every day. I try and make it a rule to be done with my second bottle with lunch. For the first few days or so you will be in the bathroom a lot but your body will acclimate. Rule of thumb here (this next sentence may be a bit distasteful) is when your pee is just a hint of yellow you are hydrated. If its completely clear you are saturated and you can back off a bit. If your taking a multi vitamin it may be a bit yellow anyway so take that into consideration.

You should take some kind of multi. I like mega man packs from GNC they have all the essentials in one pack. Some of them have a pretty simple diuretic supplement in them which is a good starting point to help drive up your metabolism. Just depends on how you handle caffeine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for all the tips.

Yes the fr60 did ask my age, height, weight,etc when I set it up. I've done 4 days in a row of 15+ mile mtb rides. Taking off today.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Good deal then it should be decently accurate.

Taking the day off is a good plan. That much burn that many days in a row is pretty intensive.

Keep on mind your body will go into a bit of a shock for a week or two as you change your diet and lower your intake and up your workouts. It will want to retain so your loss may be slow at first. Just push through it and it will get steady. Also listen to your body, if you need a rest day take it.

15 miles on a mtb is a great workout. What is your avg HR during that ride and how long does it take you to cover that mileage?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    thanks for starting this thread... was just going to but it's already done for me ...

for those that would like to see last years stuff (2011) you can find it here
    Fat boy challenge 2011... whats your goals for this year?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Good deal then it should be decently accurate.

Taking the day off is a good plan. That much burn that many days in a row is pretty intensive.

Keep on mind your body will go into a bit of a shock for a week or two as you change your diet and lower your intake and up your workouts. It will want to retain so your loss may be slow at first. Just push through it and it will get steady. Also listen to your body, if you need a rest day take it.

15 miles on a mtb is a great workout. What is your avg HR during that ride and how long does it take you to cover that mileage?
    15 miles is about 1 hour 20 minutes. My Avg HR has been around 160 for the ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's a strong ride and avg of 160 is almost 90 pct of your max. Your in pretty darn good cardio shape to be able to sustain that HR level. That makes it that much easier to burn the calories you need to on a consistent basis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    thanks for starting this thread... was just going to but it's already done for me ...

for those that would like to see last years stuff (2011) you can find it here
    Fat boy challenge 2011... whats your goals for this year?

No problem. Hopefully we can push each other to meet or exceed our goals this year.

mtbr member
    Loose around 30lbs. Log a lot of miles and ride harder trails, including downhill.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's a strong ride and avg of 160 is almost 90 pct of your max. Your in pretty darn good cardio shape to be able to sustain that HR level. That makes it that much easier to burn the calories you need to on a consistent basis.
    How did you figure my max? According to my HR monitor the max it has recorded is 186 on a ride. Granted I have only used the HR monitor on 4 rides so far. It was Xmas gift from wife.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Started at 250 lbs on June 9th- 6'5", 46 years old. Am now down to 218, 22% BF. My goal this year is to get to 15-18% BF via diet and exercise. Ride 3-4 days a week, all on trails, about 50-60 miles a week average. Weight train 3x a week. My BMR is about 2000 calories, and I burn between 600 and 700 calories average a day in fitness routines. Figure I need to keep caloric intake at about 1800 calories a day, and I should be at my BF goal in about 3-4 months. Gotta cut out the beer....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank TJ View Post
    How did you figure my max? According to my HR monitor the max it has recorded is 186 on a ride. Granted I have only used the HR monitor on 4 rides so far. It was Xmas gift from wife.
    Simplest way to figure your max is to take 220 and subtract your age. There are some more complex equations that take your resting heart rate into consideration but the 220/age gets you pretty darn close.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr View Post
    Started at 250 lbs on June 9th- 6'5", 46 years old. Am now down to 218, 22% BF. My goal this year is to get to 15-18% BF via diet and exercise. Ride 3-4 days a week, all on trails, about 50-60 miles a week average. Weight train 3x a week. My BMR is about 2000 calories, and I burn between 600 and 700 calories average a day in fitness routines. Figure I need to keep caloric intake at about 1800 calories a day, and I should be at my BF goal in about 3-4 months. Gotta cut out the beer....
    You are on the right track and have a great start on the new year! Congrats on the changes.

Yeah the beer gets me a bit also. On the weekends mainly. I do drink ultras even though I would rather have a Sam Adams! Vodka and diet tonic is about the safest as far as cals. But my goal in the first 3 months is to do without except for 2 special,occasions. My Bday and a hunting trip.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm 24 and 6' 2'' and was doing alright on my weight loss until I got injured at work and wasn't able to do much of anything. I'm finally able to start walking without much pain again so I've been walking on the treadmill at the gym. Still can't lift weights because of my shoulder. My goal is to be 225 by the end of April, which will definitely be tough, but I want to join the National Guard so I need to step it up. Also, I definitely plan on riding more this year, I was so busy last year and the trails are 35 miles away from me that I never had enough time to get there.
    2005 Gary Fisher Advance
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm 40 and 293lbs, need to get down to 196lbs... question whats the best road tires or MTB wheels are 26 x 2.25 for heavy riders.. my bike is a cube ltd 2010... I'm currently using nobby nic tires.. but want to change them.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by toxicity_27 View Post
    I'm 24 and 6' 2'' and was doing alright on my weight loss until I got injured at work and wasn't able to do much of anything. I'm finally able to start walking without much pain again so I've been walking on the treadmill at the gym. Still can't lift weights because of my shoulder. My goal is to be 225 by the end of April, which will definitely be tough, but I want to join the National Guard so I need to step it up. Also, I definitely plan on riding more this year, I was so busy last year and the trails are 35 miles away from me that I never had enough time to get there.
    Makes it tough when the trails are so far away. Maybe get out on the road a bit so you are at least getting some seat time? Then plan a weekend day to get to the trails.

Is not amused
    Goal for this year is to get down to 165-170. Last year this time I was around 185 and right now around 205-210. So doing long hikes with a weighted pack, running on my days not riding, lifting weights, doing HITT which is killing me as well as logging in lots of miles. Also weight reducers help me so I picked up animal cuts from universal nutrition which has controlled my eating and helps with my energy and has been cutting away at the fat. One thing to look into if your really putting in work and trying hard is lipo six black from nutrex which is not for the faint of heart literally. Good luck with everyone in their goals this year.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    I dropped about 20lbs. last year down to around 207. Now I'd like to get under 200 and stay there. I'd also like to do an XC race, it's been a few years. And then just keep working on staying fit and eating better for the year.

@adelorenzo
    Another year! This one went OK for me, feeling pretty good about where I sit January 1.

Looking to break 100 kg (220 lb) this year. It's been a while since I've dropped below that line.

The story so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 weight and fitness goals-fat-bastard.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    A couple years back, I ran a few half marathons and dropped from 230 to 205 during training. Since then, I've hovered in the 205-215 range pretty consistently. I imagine I'm close to about 210 right now. I'd like to get under 185 this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ultimate goal for 2012 is to get down to 220 lbs and maintain it.

Plan, continue morning workouts 5 days a week, 3 days cardio, 2 days cardio combined with resistance training. Continue riding 4 days a week, m/w/f min 10-15 miles, s min 20 miles, maintain a weekly total of 50 miles min.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    currently at 270#, goal is 225 by june 1. ive been an active athlete my whole life and always carried a few extra pounds, im alos 6'0. ive always been a gym rat, especially after hs and college as just some activity each day, unfortunatley my diet was horrible. this summer between work and trying to enjoy life, the gym was nonexistant, and beer was a constant, about my only ativity was wakeboarding and surfing. ive been back in the gym regularly since thanksgiving, and began to ride a few weeks ago. this week everything really ramps up, cardio goes from uphill treadmill walks to jogs, my buddies and i have made commitments that our off days from the gym we get on the bikes for a few miles, painful in the cold air but great way to learn to regulate your breathing and really work the cardiovascular system, and a good solid effort to eat healthy and lay off the bender weekends. also we want to get in on some RPM classes the gym offers.

all that being said the goal is 225 and to have my lifts back to respectable weights. not looking to crank out 450 on the bench, but i want to be more along the lines of being able to rep 225 for days, enjoy running 2-3 miles and looking forward to losing some waist size in the boardies come summer!

mtbr member
    Lose 20lbs by June.
    Have 2700 miles in by June.
    I signed up for the TDR and it start's June 8th.
    Finish the TDR in 25 days or less

Woody
    Last edited by woody.1; 01-05-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Slay the Dragon
    Today: 235 lbs. 6'2" 43 years old.
    7/14/2012 (STP): 200 lbs...and stay there the rest of the year.

Log 2500 miles this year. (Road and Mtn)
    Flying Wheels 100 mile course.
    Do STP in one day.
    RSVP

What I need to do is be more consistent with the food tracking. You know, actually enter in what I eat every time 'stead of some of the time. When I am consistent, it's always very revealing and motivational. I have MyFitnessPal.

Riding, some running, NordicTrac, and lifting 2x / week. I'll go dry, this Spring to help get ready for the Summer rides listed above. <Sigh> I like beer, but if I want to lose weight...?

mtbr member
    Can I do it....? Of course if I set my mind to it. Right folks?

I am just a shade under 6'1" and around 315 pounds. I carry it extremely well. I am very heavily built and at 260 lbs I look fairly thin and athletic.

I took up martial arts a few years ago and lost a lot of weight I was about 320 lbs at the time and sick of feeling sick and tired. I melted down to 258 pounds in short order (5 months if I recall correctly).

I got a knee injury and picked up biking as a part of my recovery. I fell in love with off road biking, quit my martial arts membership and invested my coin into some quality gear as my size makes inexpensive gear a never ending money pit.

I broke my hand at the end of that year and started gaining back the weight. In the spring I started fly fishing, an obsession that consumed me this past year when paired with my own disgust for letting my weight continue to climb I hardly looked at my bike.

Predisone for poison ivy killed my every attempt to loose weight. And now that my wife is pregnant, well you know how that goes.... So I want to get my act back together and bring back the excitement I once had screaming through the trails nailing berms and jumping obstacles.

Kids learn from their parents I don't want mine becoming fat and lazy.

So I'm going to start hitting the gym in February after the New Years rush slips back to old habits. But until then I have some basic equipment here at my apartment and believe it or not the Wii Fit plus has helped me begin shedding pounds on several occasions.

So what's my goal??? Well I'm pretty laid back, but I'm hoping for a weight that is manageable on a mountain bike.

Here's to hoping for some kind of a year!
    Last edited by T_Bone22581; 01-03-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    T Bone

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattSlayer View Post
    Today: 235 lbs. 6'2" 43 years old.
    7/14/2012 (STP): 200 lbs...and stay there the rest of the year.

Log 2500 miles this year. (Road and Mtn)
    Flying Wheels 100 mile course.
    Do STP in one day.
    RSVP

What I need to do is be more consistent with the food tracking. You know, actually enter in what I eat every time 'stead of some of the time. When I am consistent, it's always very revealing and motivational. I have MyFitnessPal.

Riding, some running, NordicTrac, and lifting 2x / week. I'll go dry, this Spring to help get ready for the Summer rides listed above. <Sigh> I like beer, but if I want to lose weight...?
    I am the same way. If I am in the habit of doing it daily it really keeps me straight. To the point where I can look at how many cals I have left at the end of the day and eat accordingly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    First week and I hurt my back on Monday. Got one run in Moday am and then was moving some furniture and there she went. Have a ruptured disk and its just acting up.....about another 48 hours and I should be able to get on the bike but I am already behind for the darn month!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    So far I've managed to make 6 days of recording every bit of food I've eaten. Keeping up with what I eat has been very revealing thus far. Have not weighed since the first day...I have decided to only weigh in once a week on Sunday night.

Xpy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm 6'2" and 40 at the end of March. Currently 114kg (250lb), down from 122 (270ish) at my highest mid last year.

Looking to break 100kg (220lb) and hold it for the rest of the year. I'm pretty comfortable at that level as I'm a fairly big guy anyway, but that should put me around the 15% body fat mark. If I can do it by my birthday, so much the better, but I'd like to make it a sustainable loss.

Goals: Sprint triathlon in summer.
    Sub 6 minute 400m in the pool.
    Sub 6:30 2000m on Rower.
    Get my BP back to normal.
    2 x bike commutes or more (12 miles each way) per week from March
    Last edited by Xpy; 01-18-2012 at 07:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've been lurking around this forum for a couple weeks now, and the threads here have been a great inspiration!

I'm 5'9"-5'10" and 29 years old. Current weight is 265lbs.

My highest weight was 287lbs during 2009, and my lowest weight during 2011 was 257lbs. I made a big push to start living healthier and being more active over the past couple years and it has helped. But now it is time to take things to the next level.

My goals for 2012:
    -Get into the mid 250lb range before March.
    -Get into the 240lb range before my 30th birthday at the end of April.
    -Get into the 220lb range before the end of the year!
    -Complete a 5k in under 40 mins.

To get things started, I plan to increase the frequency of my rides from once a week to 3 times a week. I also need to drink more water because I consume way too many of my calories in liquids!

I am also going to add-on traing for a 5k in April. Last year I completed it in the high 40 minute range jogging maybe half of it, walking the rest. This year I would like to be in the 30 minute range, even if it is on the higher end!

mtbr member
    My only real goal for 2012 and the future is to live a healthful and tremendously active lifestyle. Ive always ridden a huge amount, but ate way too much and drank too much beer. I was setting goals for myself and reaching them, but the I would celebrate after reaching said goal and would just put the weight back on. In Sept. I weighed 225lbs and I am now 188. Exercising before breakfast and cutting my intake harshly took some getting used to but its the best change I've ever made. After about a week of reduced intake etc.., I adjusted to it and felt an amazing change, regardless of how much weight was lost. Just an overall clean and healthy feeling. Despite the long term nature of this endeavor, I do have some short-term goals in mind - cracking top 10 in a few races would really put a huge smile on my face.

I hope everybody reaches and goes beyond their 2012 goals; its the year of the Clyde!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mpboost View Post
    I've been lurking around this forum for a couple weeks now, and the threads here have been a great inspiration!

I'm 5'9"-5'10" and 29 years old. Current weight is 265lbs.

My highest weight was 287lbs during 2009, and my lowest weight during 2011 was 257lbs. I made a big push to start living healthier and being more active over the past couple years and it has helped. But now it is time to take things to the next level.

My goals for 2012:
    -Get into the mid 250lb range before March.
    -Get into the 240lb range before my 30th birthday at the end of April.
    -Get into the 220lb range before the end of the year!
    -Complete a 5k in under 40 mins.

To get things started, I plan to increase the frequency of my rides from once a week to 3 times a week. I also need to drink more water because I consume way too many of my calories in liquids!

I am also going to add-on traing for a 5k in April. Last year I completed it in the high 40 minute range jogging maybe half of it, walking the rest. This year I would like to be in the 30 minute range, even if it is on the higher end!
    Great goals! Very reachable which is really important.

Have you tried couch to 5k? You can get the app on your smart phone and also view it online. It will help a ton in your run training.

I'm doing the same thing. I want to run the entire 5k in under 30 mins. Running 5k once a week right now in about 32 mins and then the 2 other runs are 2 mikes at 11 min miles. But I could not have gotten there without the c2 5k program

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank TJ View Post
    So far I've managed to make 6 days of recording every bit of food I've eaten. Keeping up with what I eat has been very revealing thus far. Have not weighed since the first day...I have decided to only weigh in once a week on Sunday night.
    It's amazing isn't it? How fast you can consume 2000 calories and how tough it is to burn it off!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yeah. I mountain biked for an hour an a half this afternoon and burned 1800 calories. I could consume 1800 in 20 minutes if I wanted to.....
    Last edited by Frank TJ; 01-06-2012 at 08:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Starting at 360 at the beginning of this year and looking to be under 290lbs by the end of the year. Major goals for the year are to climb Mt. Brome at Ski Bromont, 1200' of climbing at a former World championship course and a major mountain bike center here in Quebec. I also want be able to ride 2 to 3 laps of the UCI world cup course in Montreal over Mont Royal.

My end goal will be to get reach around 240lbs.

I have know put this in public so there is no going back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by big Kat View Post
    Starting at 360 at the beginning of this year and looking to be under 290lbs by the end of the year. Major goals for the year are to climb Mt. Brome at Ski Bromont, 1200' of climbing at a former World championship course and a major mountain bike center here in Quebec. I also want be able to ride 2 to 3 laps of the UCI world cup course in Montreal over Mont Royal.

My end goal will be to get reach around 240lbs.

I have know put this in public so there is no going back.
    That's why I started this thread. Accountability! Give each other a bit of a push to get it done this year!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I think I am going to make an adjustment in my caloric intake plan.

I bonked yesterday during a relatively easy road training ride. I'm not getting enough intake with the intensity of the workouts. I can't eat 1600 cals and go out on a two a day workout and burn 1400 a day.

So the new plan going forward is instead of limiting myself to a certain number of cals per day I will adjustment according to my workouts.

My BMR is 2250. On training days I want to be 1000 cal net under my BMR. If I eat 500 under my BMR I gotta burn 500. If I burn 1200 (like today) I get to eat a bit more. All the eating is lein and I'm not eating any more than 400 cals per sitting with a good mix of carbs/proteins.

On days off I'll eat 500 under. So on a weekly basis I should be about 6-7k under the BMR which should be very close to 2 pds a week. I'll take 1.5

Mathematically it works......now let's see if it works in real life!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've just been doing 2000/day. So far it's working. Yesterday I consumed about 700 calories between breakfast and lunch, then had a cliff bar just before I rode. The ride was just under 17 miles and I had an avg hr of 158 for the duration. My hr monitor showed I burned 1880 calories for the ride. After I was done I was obviously hungry but never felt like I ran out of energy. I'm going to try and maintain 2000/day for a month...short term goal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Starting GNC mega men vitapak tomorrow. Will see how that works.

Also totally blew my calorie goal today by 554... It was dinner out for Shannon's birthday that did me in.. 18 miles tomorrow should erase that..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm 63 285 lbs 55 yr old. My goal is to drop 60 lbs this year.
    I lost 20 lbs doing Keto and weight until I blew out my knee trying to jogg I've gained back 5 lbs over the Holidays not being to able to do any leg & cardio exercises.
    I think a bike is the perfect exercise for me. Rode a rental bike @ the Santos trails yesterday and my knee actually feels better than it has in weeks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast