mtbr member
    May 2011

200mm cranks,drive problems,endow problems

I have not posted in a while and have been enjoying my bike so.any help on these problems would be great and thanks for any advice.I built this bike a TREK 4300 with 29's on comfort and until I find a real frame I like maybe a Zinn ? this will have to do.

Problem #1 I want to start standing and apply full force with my legs and I want to get 200 mm cranks for more push .I have a 38 to 39 inch inseam and weigh 310 and have real strong legs and go through drive parts alot.I am afraid to stand up and mash drive because I break chains alot and eat my rear final drive gear up regularly every month. I am getting to the point to where I can run 53 /11 gearing even on grades and on slight hills I want to stand and mash but am afraid of breaking chains then busting my butt in the process. I need a heavy duty drive if they make one because 200 mm cranks are even going to make it worse.

#2 the bike wants to endow at times,I run the seat post high for leg mash reasons and run a wide seat for my heffer a$$ so I am having problems getting back to jump and go down stairs. Last night I almost went over forward when the rear lifted going down some staires. When I run the 200 mm cranks it will allow me to lower the seat an inch so how much will it help?

Any input would be great,would a longer fork help the endow issue much? Thanks!
    Last edited by Realslowww; 10-17-2011 at 03:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Are you riding urban freeride with this bike?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    No,I do not even know what that is?, This bicycling is all new to me,I have not been serious about a bicycle since I was 12. I am coming off a CR 500 and run high speed on the road 75% of the time and dirt 25 with the bicycle but I try and run over and jump anything in my way and path but am afraid to because I do not want to get hurt because I am afraid of the bike breaking or endowing.

I am coming off a 70 HP moto X motorcycle so this is like real slow but I love it just as much. These bikes are really flimsy compared to a moto X bike and I do not want to go to the hospital because of something stupid. Thanks for replying.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am starting to figure it out,I did not realize this bike was 2 and a 1/2 inches shorter being a 26er to start than a Marlin 29er so when I raised my Trek 4300 up with 29's it made it like to endow more easily.I modified the bike today so the seat would sit back another inch or so and was able to lower the seat post a little when I did the mod. With 200 mm cranks I should be able to lower the seat one more inch and have the problem of endowing licked. What are the draw backs to placing your weight more towards the rear?

Any help on a stronger drive train would be great as well thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The drawbacks would mostly be fit an weight distribution, but for you, it sounds like a good shot.

I'm curious, how'd you fit 29" wheels on a trek 4300? You got some pics?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I will get some pictures going, the Trek 22.5 and 24 inchers are huge bikes and will fit a 29 with a 1.9 XR1 with light modification ,I bought this over a Marlin 23 inch 29er because the Marlin frame was longer and I am short torsoed so it was uncomfortable.

The Trek 22.5 fits my build perfect but is a 26er so that is why I am where I am.The series 4s are real comfortable in my book.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Does the 29'er front fork make the steering wonky? Real interested to see pics... tire clearance and such especially.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EclipseRoadie View Post
    Does the 29'er front fork make the steering wonky? Real interested to see pics... tire clearance and such especially.
    This is all new to me, what do I know about handling? I have not been serious about a bicycle for about 35 years! I bought the bike on the merit of comfort first. It has issues as far as being in like a road bike style frame but from what I can tell it handles great for quick turning and hi speed blasting. I am using my stock fork with a little filing. Some of the Trek series 4s come with a real high brace so modding is not necessary on the fork.The bike I am building is a great do it all high speed blaster and where I have noticed a slight problem may be in front end washout a touch because the bike is short wheel base for a 29.

The bike handles almost as good as when it had 26s the problem being the gyro effect of the 29 and the fact I am using heavy rims and tubes.

I could not buy off the floor what I built and once I get a few issues sorted out I would definitely do it again.Way more comfortable than any 29 I have ridden but less trail oriented and more road oriented but you can beat the crap out of it. I had major issues with my Cannondale road bike in comfort and toughness.