Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    'Been riding my Superfly Elite 100 (full suspension) regularly now on a narrow trail that has a lot of 3-4" diameter roots and a lot of tight turns .....even though my rhythm and timing have become very good, I still get some hard pedal strikes/skims and this is with the stock 175mm cranks and smallish spd clipless pedals.
    I'm glad the 175's work for me, anything much longer and I would be in trouble......at least on this trail

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My inseam measures 37.4 inches/ 95 cms (and i am 6'6" tall). I got JK 205mm cranks via Zinn's shop, and oh boy, they do make a difference. Feels very natural, and going back to 175mm is like being on a kids bike, seriously.

Note that i am riding mostly on pavement/gravel. My acceleration and mashing while standing have improved greatly. Seriously, my lowest gear is about two steps higher now and 8sp Alfine hub is quite enough right now. I started to think i'd like the cranks to be even a bit longer but that will create me more problems with the bike fit.

I didn't have the money for a custom build so my solution was different. My main concern was the clearance between pedals and ground. I like pedaling in turns and normal bike geo wouldn't allow that with such long cranks. I picked a frame with HT/ST angles 71/72 degrees. Instead of a stock fork (ca 410mm i think) I've installed Salsa Fargo v.1 fork which is 442mm high with 55mm rake. That made the frame a bit more road oriented, as the angles have increased by 1 degree roughly. Most importantly that gave me some extra clearance, i got about 9 cms under my pedals now. And I am super happy with the overall bike fit. There were some issues with the heel clearance, but I managed to solve them.

Overall those long cranks were one of the best bike investments I've made regarding the bike fit.

I am not sure how far are the pedals from each other, but i have no issues with that. I could measure it though if anyone is interested. BB is 73mm ISIS.

Just wondering, could it be that longer cranks are a bit wider too?

PS. there is one more obvious advantage of long cranks for tall people. They allow me to sit 3cm lower than with standard cranks, giving more frame and handlebar choices. I can finally ride drop bars (Salsa Woodchipper) in the drops for sufficiently long time!
    Last edited by mikhalit; 01-26-2012 at 03:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikhalit View Post
    Instead of a stock fork (ca 410mm i think) I've installed Salsa Fargo v.1 fork which is 442mm high with 55mm rake. That made the frame a bit more road oriented, as the angles have increased by 1 degree roughly. Most importantly that gave me some extra clearance, i got about 9 cms under my pedals now. And I am super happy with the overall bike fit. There were some issues with the heel clearance, but I managed to solve them.
    Pictures please!
    DirtySixer36er, Ventana ElCapitan, Soma Smoothie 66cm, Trek T100, ChoiceCollective36er.
    DirtySixer
    36er

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by davidfrench
    Pictures please!
    will post in few days when get back home from vacations

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thankyou very much for the help,you gave me much needed information.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Wondering about heel Strike on Chain stays with 200mm cranks? Just a thought? I know I've had an issue with 180mm on one frame, my feet are 12s so not huge, just got really annoying after a while... I guess if you go a custom frame it should be fine

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    On my 29er with 200mm cranks I can hit the dropouts with my heels if I twist em that way (even with the inside float limited out as much as possible on Frogs), but actually riding along they've never collided.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by davidfrench View Post
    Pictures please!
    Here are the pics, bike is set as a kids hauler and for long touring rides:

1. This is 600mm tall Poison Chinin IGH cromo frame, ETT is 615mm. The fork is Salsa Fargo with 442mm axle-to-crown.

2. The cranks are Joseph Kuosac Mtb 205mm. Couldn't measure the exact pedal height, but for the road/gravel it's absolutely enough. Not much chance for a singletrack ride here in Northern Germany, can't comment if the clearance is adequate for some techy trails.

The front will take up to 2.3" wide rubber and the rear at least 1.9" if not wider. It should be a fine monstercross machine, i am planning to do some bikepacking with it later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 200mm crank ?s 38inch inseam am I really a candidate-6846684435_5e492c850e_z.jpg  

200mm crank ?s 38inch inseam am I really a candidate-6846694315_18e0eb1390_z.jpg  

Last edited by mikhalit; 02-09-2012 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    And this is manufacturers photo, to show how this frame would look like with the original fork (same frame but in smaller size and derailleur version)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mikhalit; 02-09-2012 at 08:35 AM.

mtbr member
    nice set-up!
    DirtySixer36er, Ventana ElCapitan, Soma Smoothie 66cm, Trek T100, ChoiceCollective36er.
    DirtySixer
    36er

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The old I.R.D. company (Interlock Racing Designs, in the 80') just to make some "Hill climping" bikes with really long cranks (220mm) and super tall bottom brackets, maybe make ask around on the Vintage forum so you can see some pictures and how "funny" do they look
    Last edited by patineto; 03-15-2012 at 03:44 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all the help,I build 26 frames with 29s on them for road use. The bikes I build are a road bike comfort bike you can beat on like a mountain bike.

Are you ever like going down the road and just see a shortcut or something you want to hit off to the side of the road ? but cannot because you are on a flimsy bike ?,well I am building a 23 inch Rock Hopper 26er frame with 29s and 200mm cranks.

For mainly road going I prefer 26 frames to 29er for some reason and with 200 mm cranks it will solve the clearance problem if you use a 26er frame.. Thanks for all replies.

mtbr member
    You probably need something like this:
    I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS

What you're talking about building is a flat-bar monstercross bike. You cant fit 29er tires into a 26er frame, there just isnt clearance for the tall tires. You might be able to fit a 700x40 or 700x45 but those are closer to 28", not a true 29er and closer to a cyclocross tire than anything 29er.

Have you looked at 650B bikes? Probably a lot easier and closer to what you want to do. Bigger tires than 26" but you can still fit fat tires onto a 26" frame with 650B. If you bump up all the way to a 700C rim you're really limited to skinny cross tires.

Honestly, what it really sounds like you need is a fixed gear freestyle bike with an internal gear hub, then you'll have the high bottom bracket for longer cranks, a stout frame, clearance for fat 700s. Just most of them only come fixed and without braze-ons so you'd have to run full length housing and an internal geared hub in the back and maybe a Hammerschmidt or FSA metropolis crank up front (probably the HS due to your penchant for hucking).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I ad a trek 4300 set up with 1.9 XR1s and it worked fine,thhe bigger framed 26ers will handle 29s to a point. I did not look at a monster cross bike because people told me a good mountain bike frame was tougher? For me what I do works fine. I hhhave to buils custom wheels anyway because of my weight so the most iportant thing for me is a good solid frame I like for comfort. The Trek 4300 was better than the RH in that area for me and looked tougher in build.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I brought this tread from the dead back, anybody else running 200 mm? I changed from 175 to 180 and put a better quality crank in my bike and what a difference, on hills where I used to have to stand or downshift to keep power up evenly I can now just sit and turn the power up and motor out.

200 mm is such a big jump over 180 maybe 190 would be better. Any input from people who have played around with crank length would be great. In theory if you can spin the bigger circle more efficiently you will gain power through torque?

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    I have a 39" inseam and I run 220mm (I should be on 210mm) and run a 1x10 with a 11-36 cassette.
    The result is that I climb way better than any other 700c bike I had (with 180mm cranks) or a loaned bike with 200mm (29er full suspension).
    But my bike is fully rigid, Ti and 36er. I'm also 6'6".....
    DirtySixer
    36er

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    I'm 6'9", 42" inseam. I have 1 rigid HT and 1 FS trailbike, both 29ers with 190mm cranks.
    I've thought about getting longer cranks for the HT, but availability and price hold me back.
    On the FS I think longer cranks would just result in pedal strike-o-rama.

In my opinion, longer inseam => longer cranks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by langen View Post
    I'm 6'9", 42" inseam. I have 1 rigid HT and 1 FS trailbike, both 29ers with 190mm cranks.
    I've thought about getting longer cranks for the HT, but availability and price hold me back.

Thats what I thought, mainly the length of your femur is more important. I should be about 6 foot 8 but am only 6 foot 5 because I am short torso.

There is a crank in 200mm and 220 for only 130 $.

I was just shocked at how much faster I was changing my crank out.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post

There is a crank in 200mm and 220 for only 130 $.
    Details, please! Do you have a link?

mtbr member
    I cant even get if Realslowww is a troll account. He wont post pictures of his bike and spews a lot of nonsense everywhere he goes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    I cant even get if Realslowww is a troll account. He wont post pictures of his bike and spews a lot of nonsense everywhere he goes.
    Got to have pictures just like the little girls on show and tell day.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    IRD is the company who has them, they are 110 BDC, one place claims to sell them for 128$ Universal Cycles but they seem to only be in stock about 1/2 the time.

You can Google it.

mtbr member
    At 42" inseam you definitely needs 220mm cranks. Well at 6'9" you also need a 36er bike (have you looked at my DirtySixer?) !
    I have 220mm on my 36er that are from Joe Kuosac with ISIS type spindle. I think they are better than the square taper of the IRD for the abuse I throw at them. But square taper will work fine if used on road/gravel and no big jumps.
    IRD said somewhere that they even did (back in the days, but when?) some 225mm cranks. I bet custom and pricey.
    I have some 200mm square taper from daVinci that are still waiting for the right bike...

DirtySixer
    36er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
    Got to have pictures just like the little girls on show and tell day.
    You've done so much talking about your crazy hybrids but you've never once posted pics.

mtbr member

Re: 200mm crank ?s 38inch inseam am I really a candidate

He climbs with 50-11 gearing, he doesn't need pictures

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast