mtbr member

2009 Hardrock Sport Disc / 240lbs rider

I am 5'11" 240lbs. looking at the Hardrock and want to know if it can handle my weight...

The shocks on the Hard Rock (SR Suntour SF8-XCT-V2) felt really soft with my weight on them? will they be able to put up with 235-240 lbs on them? if not would the Rockhopper
    (RockShox Dart 3 SL) upgrade be better if i could somehow squeeze it in (money wise)

i don't know if they just had them adjusted really soft, but i could always go the full travel with ease.

i don't want to spend all this money on a bike just so i have to upgrade the shocks cause i would be bottoming them out..

mtbr member
    So...I was heavier than you are when I started riding, and I had a 2009 Specialized Myka HT (The bottom of the line one). As crappy as that fork is, I never once bottomed it out. Still haven't, actually. I think it'll handle your weight, but it depends on how aggressive you are. It's not going to handle jumps, even small ones, or drops that are more than the height of a curb. If you're going to do more than that, I'd either get a different bike with a different fork, or look into replacing that one.
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

mtbr member
    Thanks, yeah, i am definitely not doing any jumps...

i think the hard rock is the best bike for me for the money, i am just getting back into riding, maybe ride a couple days a week after work in the woods near my house.. lots of trails, i live on an escarpment.

mtbr member
    As expected I tested out the Hardrock Sport Disc, with the shocks are hard they could go before lockout and they almost bottomed out... so i wanted to try the Rockhopper but hhey didn't have any of the Rockhopper Comp Disc in stock.

I did try out the Cannondale F5, and was please with the experience..

How do these bikes compete with each other the cannondale was about $70 cheaper then the rockhopper..

Gig 'Em Aggies !
    bout same height and weight as ya and my HR is holding up fine. but the frame was alot beefier in 06 than it is now, or atleast from the look of it ...
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]06[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]Specialized[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]Hardrock Sport Disc[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]GIG 'EM AGGIES!![/SIZE] [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Underskilled
    The Kona Hoss is probably a better bet, similar price but it is specced for the heavier rider.

if you get something off the rack, it will break.
    If you are insistant on getting something from your local shop get a bike designed for harder stuff than you do. i.e. if you ride dirt track get an AM bike, if you ride AM get a downhill bike. Compared to your 240lb the extra weight won't be an issue, and the bike will take the abuse better.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    the real problem with the fork isn't going to be bottoming out (although that may be an issue)... it's going to be the noodle feel it gives... twisting and such...

seems the tora is one of the better clyd forks out there (i ride a 29er with the tora 318 and am 300# and love the thing... other then how heavy it is vs my rigid... but @ my weight who cares realy haha)

a kona HOSS would be ideal prob... but WAY out of his budget :-/

sorry my post isn't more helpful... brain is a bit scattered... fixing for a 40 mile loop YAY
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm 320 and I ride a 08 Hardrock Sport. 0 Problems.