mtbr member
    Oct 2013

2007 Giant Anthem X Advanced for Clyde?

I'm in the market for a used FS, and have got a good offer on an Anthem X Advanced. It looks great, and seems to be in bery good condition. I'm however a little worried that an all-carbon bike with 6 year old dampers and Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels will not be the best alternative for a 270 lbs guy...

Do any of you know this bike, or have an opinion on this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    To answer my own question: I posted this in the Giant forum, and got a very clear advice not to buy the Anthem X Advanced. Mainly because of the wheels, but also the carbon frame could have problems with the weight in the long run.

So i bought a demo-used 2013 Trek Fuel EX 8 from my LBS instead :-).

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I wish I saw this sooner! I think you'll be totally happy with the bike you got but in case anyone else reads this I'll give my opionion. Carbon fiber doesn't have the same fatigue life like steel or aluminum so ultimate lifespan should not be a concern. There are all different levels of quality in carbon fiber manufacting so the brand and methods of construction can effect the durability quite a bit. Giant is the largest manufacturer of Carbon fiber bikes in the world and they're the only brand that controls the entire process from raw fiber to finished product in house. As far as wheels, I race and train on Crossmax SLR's and I've found them to be quite durable. I'm lighter now, but I've ridden these wheels hard at 230 pounds. I'm just pointing out that the things you mentioned are pretty durable, but in reality you are talking about 6 year old elite level XC race equipment. How the previous owner rode and maintained the gear is the biggest consideration. At the end of the day I think you made the best choice going through your local IBD, if you need any service they will be there to help you out and that relationship goes a long way! Good luck with your new ride.