mtbr member
    Jun 2006

2006 \ 7 RM slayer for a clyde??

Just wondering what the wise folks here on the Clyde forum would say about a 6' 2-3" 245lbs. guy putting a Rocky Mountain Slayer through the paces on the front range around Denver and down around the Springs.

All opinions, equivilant bikes, less $$ bikes, and such welcome. Thank you.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm 6' and down to 235lb and the Slayer was on my short list. In my case, the Slayer didn't make it due to price. Dang Slayers are nice bikes, but for the price of a Slayer 30 I got may Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX which matches my riding style better and had a better parts spec.

I've got absolutely nothing against the Slayers, but you may be able to get better bang for your buck with something like a Giant Reign.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Whelp, I'm 5'10" riding just over 255lbs. I've had my Slayer30 for a few months and love mine. Mind you I really have nothing to compare it to as it is my first full suspension bike, (coming from a Litespeed Hardtail) and I wasn't really looking at any other bikes at the time. Only other bike that I test rode was the Iron Horse 7.x. Sweet bike but I liked the Slayer alot more.

I mainly ride dry desert landscape; lots of rocky singletrack, small drops, nothing too crazy. I'm kinda slow around the trails but when I catch a downhill line I'll haul ass.

The Slayer30 is awesome! It pedals great on flatland, is actually a good climber, and is incredibly fun downhill. I'm sure I'm not pushing the bike to it's limits but I have no hesitation about riding this bike hard.

Can't say enough good things about this bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Heat, thanks for the info. I'm about the same riding style as you with the exception that I like to haul my Clyde behind as fast as I can. Going down hill I'm still a little conservative due to my "Handle Bar Superman" experience I had about three years ago. It still makes me a little nervous since it happened in FL and now I'm in CO. The little 6-8 ft up&downs in FL don't even compare to the 1000ft decents in CO. Again, I appreciate all the input.

Have a GREAT ride!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    ....I got may Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX....
    Mike,

I've read a few different times that the Fisher Cake series had quite a bit of Pedal bob. Have you come across this also? Part of my consideration is the lower center of gravity. Does the Cake have a good lower riding position? I've always thought that the Cake was more XC and Slayer was a little more aimed toward the going down the mountain a bit more so.

Have a GREAT ride!

Cheers.

I wear two thongs
    I demoed an 07 slayer 50 at Plattekill early in the season Im 5'9 230lbs and it was great. 6" of travel that could be easily pedaled around (no that I did much pedaling at plattekill) The bike felt very strong and there wasnt a component on the bike that seemed over looked. I abused the bike on some fairly technical FR terrain and was doing drops of around 3ft or less all day (drop height limited by rider not bike) and it was eating them up. Overall it seemed like an extremely well designed bike. Then I got home and looked at the $3000 price tag and woke up from my dream.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

Double-metric mtb man
    hehehe...whelp!....I appreciate the compliment!! I'm coming down from 260lbs stark nude :P

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by cocamoxb
    Mike,

I've read a few different times that the Fisher Cake series had quite a bit of Pedal bob. Have you come across this also?
    Hey Cocamoxb,

Well, in short: yes. Any single pivot design will have more bob than a multi-link design...it is just the way the suspension works. That being said, the newer platform shocks have done wonders for leveling the playing field out again. In my case, I do get some bob in my normal riding, but I wouldn't call it a lot...unless I am watching the shock, I wouldn't be able to tell it was there. The only time I actually notice it is when I'm standing on the pedals for a high power climb...and any FS machine will bob in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by cocamoxb
    Part of my consideration is the lower center of gravity. Does the Cake have a good lower riding position? I've always thought that the Cake was more XC and Slayer was a little more aimed toward the going down the mountain a bit more so.
    You're right about the Cake....it is more on the XC end of the spectrum as compared to the Slayer. It's got a slightly lower bb height (14.25" vs 16"), less travel (5" vs 6") and more stand-up frame angles. The Cake isn't anywhere near a true XC machine (a la Giant Trance or similar) but won't keep up with something like the Slayer going down the hill. If you could compare them back to back, you'd find that the Cake is faster accelerating, slightly quicker turning and will out-climb the Slayer, but the Slayer will out perform the Cake going down the hill, over drops/jumps and in the nastier terrain.

Myself, I would have loved to have bought a Slayer....but in looking at my riding style (I only get one bike to do it all, including commuting, and I like the ability to go on an epic now and then), where I live (lots of hills and flats, no really big stuff for at least 3 hrs by car), my wallet (Cake 2 DLX was $2500 cdn vs almost $3300 cdn for the Slayer 30) and bang for the buck (the component spec for the Cake was a bit better than the 30)...the Cake for me was the hands down winner.

As I said, I have nothing at all against the Slayers...they are excellent machines, are easily Clyde-worthy and will serve you well...but for me, I went with the Cake and I haven't regretted the choice.

Hope it helps, Cocamoxb!
    Last edited by Psycho Mike; 08-14-2006 at 12:19 AM.