mtbr member

2002 Hardrock Comp A1...good??

I'm looking to get back into mtb and am looking for a used bike. Anyone have any experience with this bike, its a 2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp A1. The pics look like its in good condition, he says hes only ridden it about 10 times but who really knows. Alivo rear, Judy TT fork, Acera front I think. Hes asking 325 which is too much but he is negotiable. Its a 21", Im 6'3", 320lbs. I realize I'll have to get new wheels and fork eventually but is this good enough to get me started. Mostly trail riding here and I think I can get it for 250$. Any opinions would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    George
    Last edited by ggerds; 07-26-2007 at 04:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah looks good. The key thing is getting a good frame fit. Everything else can be changed in time. My wife had a HardRock A1 years ago and it was a nice machine. Components are entry-level, but they're enough to get you started. You don't need to spend loads of money.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. 250$ seems reasonable?? I was looking to spend more but just found out we have a baby one the way so 300$ is now my cap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah could be. I'm assuming you're talking US$ ?

mtbr member
    Yeah, US. The 800$ price range disappeared right before my eyes:-)

Probably drunk right now

A Quick Search on the Internets...

I don't know much about this bike but The Google tells me:

1. It retailed for $360.00
    2. It is an entry level mountain bike

So given that it's 6 years old (2008 models will be out in a couple of months) and that the guy your buying it from is only knocking off $100, my opinion is that it's not a great deal but it is an okay deal for $250 so long as you understand that you're likely going to break a few parts and the fork will never work properly for you based on your size.

Ken

mtbr member
    I just looked it up and found the msrp to be 470$ actually. I don't really know the deppreciation of bikes, or how outdated the equipement is. 250$---good deal? I'm not sure.
    I need to do it by Sunday, still not sure.