mtbr member
    Nov 2006

20 tooth grannies?

Today I climbed up Mt. Tamalpais on my 3x9 Karate Monkey. I'm running a regular Shimano LX triple in front and a SRAM 11-32 in back*. The 22-32 worked on almost everything...

So, who's running a 20 tooth granny?
    What kind is it? Where'd you get it?
    What kind would you rather have?
    What kind of crank do you run it on?

edit 1:
    * I forgot to mention that I tried to run an 11-34 cassette on this frame, but found that there wasn't enough space between the 34 and the upper derailer pulley (on my shimano XT M750). The derailer hanger on a KM is not very far from the rear axle, and doesn't seem to offer as much space for large cogs...
    Last edited by beanfink; 10-17-2007 at 08:14 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    20 tooth is available in the old 5 bolt compact 58/94 pattern. The newer 4 bolt 64/104 cannot go smaller than 22 tooth as the bolt pattern is too large for a 20 tooth.

Have you considered going to a 11-34 in the back?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    There are 4 bolt 20t chainrings available.

The company is called action-tec.

Check this out::

Action Tec 20t Granny?

and this:

http://www.actiontec.us/index.htm

http://www.actiontec.us/prices.htm
    Last edited by jeffj; 10-17-2007 at 08:36 PM.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by beanfink
    Today I climbed up Mt. Tamalpais on my 3x9 Karate Monkey. I'm running a regular Shimano LX triple in front and a SRAM 11-32 in back*. The 22-32 worked on almost everything...

I am.

What kind is it?

Race Face 5 bolt steel

Where'd you get it?

Found it on a bargain table when Cambria briefly had a shop on PCH in Redondo Beach. Cost me $5.

I don't know that I'd rather have another kind. This one is a lifesaver... er, lungsaver.... um, I mean legsaver

Race Face Turbine - 5 bolt square taper

There you have it.

Former Bike Wrench
    So you either have to get a squarish 20 tooth (which seems like would defeat the purpose as the gear ratio would constantly be changing) or you have to break out the dremel to fit a round 20 tooth on a 4 bolt crankset.

Not exactly a strait forward product...though doable

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    20 tooth is available in the old 5 bolt compact 58/94 pattern. The newer 4 bolt 64/104 cannot go smaller than 22 tooth as the bolt pattern is too large for a 20 tooth.

Have you considered going to a 11-34 in the back?
    Ha.

I am running a 20t Ti ActionTec on an XT (104 bcd I think?) crankset. Works fine. Perfect for Tam. got it from Universal.

You can order one from Boone as well, as long as you don't mind the 4 month wait.

I take mine up Burdell all the time.

All you naysayers and internet armchair theorists are SMOKING CRACK.

RHRF!

Not True...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    So you either have to get a squarish 20 tooth (which seems like would defeat the purpose as the gear ratio would constantly be changing) or you have to break out the dremel to fit a round 20 tooth on a 4 bolt crankset.

Not exactly a strait forward product...though doable
    ...I've been running a Boone 20t Ti granny (no 'dremel' mods) on my RaceFace Deus 4-bolt crank for 2 years now. It's just as round as a 22t, only smaller...

BTW...I'm a 230lb clyde and I use the 20t in conjunction with an 11-34 cassette without any rear derailleur (Sram X.9) pulley rubbing.
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member

Running 20t-30t on my RIP9 with an 11-34 cassette

What kind is it? Where'd you get it?

Salsa 5bolt 20t that I picked up from Cambria

I like the 20t chainring. I'm going to add a 36t cog to the cassette in the spring. I'll drop the 11t cog and run 12-36.

190mm Profile Racing

NMBP
    I read somewhere here on MTBR of someone using spacers on their XT crank instead of Dremeling the stand offs.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

pedal pusher
    I run a 5-bolt 20T grannie on my Race Face LP. There's nothing too steep to climb with it. You can still buy them at JensonUSA, I believe.

mtbr member

Another option

Replace the beta-adjustment screw on your derailleur with a longer one. It'll allow you to move the top pulley farther away from the bog cog allowing the use of your 11-34 tooth cassette. 2 teeth in the back is a bigger gear ratio change than 2 teeth in the front...it'll be much cheaper for you too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Replace the beta-adjustment screw on your derailleur with a longer one. It'll allow you to move the top pulley farther away from the bog cog allowing the use of your 11-34 tooth cassette. 2 teeth in the back is a bigger gear ratio change than 2 teeth in the front...it'll be much cheaper for you too.
    By my math, 2 teeth in the front makes a bigger difference, and gives a lower ratio...

22/34=.647
    20/34=.588
    Diff=.059

22/34=.647
    22/36=.611
    Diff=.036

A 22/38=.578 would be slightly lower than the 20/34=.588, but 4 teeth larger.