mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Are 170mm cranks (as opposed to 175mm) a bad idea for me at 6'7"

I can get a great deal on some Truvativ Holzfeller cranks for my XL Vp-Free but only in 170mm. I've only ridden 175mm on my trail bike and I'm 6'7'' tall. Would i really notice the difference? Will the 170mm be OK? Thoughts?

Josh

Tah
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yep, and at 6'7" I would go even longer than a 175, I am 6'4" and I am swapped over to 180cm cranks and enjoy the increased leverage that they provide. The first weekend they were a little tougher to spin but quickly got used to them. Didn't find any increase in pedal hit's, if anything a little less as I became aware of pedal position while in technical areas

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I believe you would be sorry with 170 cranks.

Former Bike Wrench
    You should be running at least 180mm cranks at your height...170mm for your height would be a big mistake!

Making fat cool since '71
    170s are way too short for you...! Even on a freeride bike. I'm only 6'3" and run 180s on both bikes. At your height I'd prolly be getting 190 or more. That's a lot of crank on a FR bike I guess, but you would prolly love it.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    175mm have seemed fine on my Ventana El Capitan but I guess I haven't had anything to compare it to.

I'm looking at Shimano Saint's or Truvativ Holzfeller's but I'm not going to find something like that in 180mm am I?

Former Bike Wrench
    The Saint is available in 180mm...but it'll probably have to be a special order as I doubt anyone would carry them in stock

Race Face makes their Atlas crankset in 180mm. It's not quite Holzfeller or Saint heavy duty, but it is an all-mountain crank.

NMBP
    I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam and I think my 180 cranks are more noticeable (in a good way) than my 29" tires (please don't mention this to the 29er board, I might get banned).

Making fat cool since '71

No kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    I think my 180 cranks are more noticeable (in a good way) than my 29" tires (please don't mention this to the 29er board, I might get banned).
    ...kind of like when I said (on the Turner board) I didn't completely hate it when I test rode an Ellsworth Rogue when a buddy's LBS had a demo day and the Ells crew was there. They wanted me to turn in my Turner and burn my "homer" card! Your secret is safe with me...

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.