Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    locked - time out

135Gram saddle with 230Pounds rider = ?

Hi Clydes,
    Newbie to this board, and need some info. Please.

Thinking about a WW saddle @ 135 grams, [SLR] and was wondering if I'd be safe.
    Anyone out there been-there, done-that?

Iam riding an 05' IBEX Alpine 350, completely Up-graded from 28.1 to 25.33 pounds.
    Stopping point @ 24 pounds, [Yeah-Like up-grading and WW ADICTIONS ever stop]!!

Thank you for any help,

Jake Pay 230# Here.
    Last edited by Pay Here; 03-01-2006 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Don't be silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pay Here
    Hi Clydes,
    Newbie to this board, and need some info. Please.

Thinking about a WW saddle @ 135 grams, [SLR] and was wondering if I'd be safe.
    Anyone out there been-there, done-that?

Iam riding an 05' IBEX Alpine 350, completely Up-graded from 28.1 to 25.33 pounds.
    Stopping point @ 24 pounds, [Yeah-Like up-grading and WW ADICTIONS ever stop]!!

Thank you for any help,

Jake Pay 230# Here.

locked - time out
    Looking for real feed back, not wanna be cute one liners.

Honest help would be appreciated.

Jake Pay, not funny Here.

long standing member
    Looking for real feed back, not wanna be cute one liners.

Honest help would be appreciated.

Jake Pay, not funny Here.
    I don't necessarily want to speak for lebikerboy, but I don't think he was trying to be cute. I actually agree with his statement. I was going to post a similar response earlier, but I figured I'd let someone else post first. Here, I'll try to be helpful.

I only have saddle time on two mountain bike seats, so the breadth of my experience is certainly limited. One is a no name that's on my Giant rigid and the other is a WTB that came as OE on my Kona Hoss (I think it might be a Speed V). They both are fairly heavy, I never weighed them but the Speed V specs say 400 grams. I believe both have steel rails. Neither have broken yet. I know, this doesn't really answer your question.

I would bet that over time on a diminunitive saddle (iow, the one you described), a clyde sized rider would be likely to bend, break, warp or otherwise damage it. If one was to crash or land on it with full force (iow, feet not on pedals - ouch), it would probably break.

If the lighter weight is worth it to you, even if you have to replace the seat more often, then I say go for it. Personally, I will only be purchasing saddles with chromoly rails.

Patrick

locked - time out
    Thanks Patrick for the info on the rails, I was all jazz up on droping 185 grams I was'nt
    even thinking of the Ti rails [dah], I can feel the pain, Boom-Bam-Broke=OUCH.

Thanks again.

Jake Pay, no ouch Here.

mtbr member
    I wasn't being cute as you put it, I was being realistic. I'm your weight and would probably bend the rails on the saddle you're suggesting before I left the driveway. Always remember that light is nice but at our size some sense of reality has to come into play.
    Thanks Patrick for the info on the rails, I was all jazz up on droping 185 grams I was'nt
    even thinking of the Ti rails [dah], I can feel the pain, Boom-Bam-Broke=OUCH.

Thanks again.

Jake Pay, no ouch Here.

locked - time out

Bling Junkie Here

Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    I wasn't being cute as you put it, I was being realistic. I'm your weight and would probably bend the rails on the saddle you're suggesting before I left the driveway. Always remember that light is nice but at our size some sense of reality has to come into play.
    At 53yrs old I'am still like a kid in a candy shop when [UP-GRADE, BLING,+WW]
    pops up. Once a junckie always a junckie.

Thanks 4 the reminder.

Jake Pay, Bling Here.

mtbr member
    I'm 57 so therefore more mature about these things! Yeah, right.
    At 53yrs old I'am still like a kid in a candy shop when [UP-GRADE, BLING,+WW]
    pops up. Once a junckie always a junckie.

Thanks 4 the reminder.

Jake Pay, Bling Here.

Your bike is incorrigible
    I have an SDG Bel Air saddle with Ti rails, and I believe it weighs something like 280g. It has held up extremely well over the past season, the rails managing to stay straight while counteracting the forces of a 235lb rider bouncing around. Basically, I would not want to try and go any lighter. For me, the upper 200s is bordering on breakage. There is also the issue of replacement cost. You can get a cromo railed saddle for $30 or a heavier Ti railed saddle for $50. If you go for a super light saddle, you can expect to pay upwards of $80. If something should go wrong, which would you want to replace?

locked - time out

The Balloon has Burst

and for now I'LL stay with my trusty 320 gram trans-am XO.
    But I'am sure the next time I go surfin the web I'LL see some blah-blah BLING and off we
    go again ["I gotta have it gotta-gottagottagotta-gotta have IT!"]. I wish I'd have Regestered
    along time ago too these forums, I've gottin carried away on some useless $hit.

Thanks Guyechka for the info.

Jake Pay, thankfully Here.
    Last edited by Pay Here; 03-02-2006 at 08:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Can Tree Member

Hey, not so fast...

and for now I'LL stay with my trusty 320 gram trans-am XO.
    But I'am sure the next time I go surfin the web I'LL see some blah-blah BLING and off we
    go again ["I gotta have it gotta-gottagottagotta-gotta have IT!"]. I wish I'd have Regestered
    along time ago too these forums, I've gottin carried away on some useless $hit.

Thanks Guyechka for the info.

Jake Pay, thankfully Here.
    There's nothing wrong with Ti per se. I'm 220 (yeah, right) and have a Spec. Alias on the MTB and a Sella Italia Flite on the road bike. The Alias weighs 278g (actual weight) in the 143 (medium) width. The Flite is somewhere between 200g and 220g (I forget the exact figure).

The seatpost clamp is important. The Alias is on a Thomson and the Flite is on a Campy Ti post. I have not had problems with either.

Your intended use of the bike is important too. If you are riding it hard, an uber-light saddle might not make a lot of sense. But if you are not really all that hard on the bike and want to drop a little dough to try a lightweight saddle (and if you can afford to replace it if it does break), then why not give it a try...heck, it's only a hundred bucks or so.

You might want to stay away from the 135 gram models, and look for something a bit stronger but still substantially lighter than your current model. I am pretty sure that there are a lot of choices in the 175-200 gram range that would give you a 4-5 ounce weight savings and some extra bling. You'll probably have to mail order them, because your LBS won't sell them to you (if they are smart). But it still might work.

Give it a try and let us know how long it lasts. And be sure to post the x-ray images of the seatpost up your @ss when the saddle does break
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

locked - time out

As the baloon re-inflates

Thanks Dad Man,
    I've been surfing the net today and saw a few nice butt rests @ about 180-200 grams.
    Just need to make up my mind and consult with the piggy bank.

I really dont huck at all these last few years. Got hit by a crazy lady in 02' that was at falt.
    Messed me up good. So hard core is a not, docs orders.

Thanks again Walking.

Jake Pay, surfing Here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I very between 195 and 220 lbs and I ride a lite bikes (20.5# Hardtail & 23.25 # FS) with lite parts, I race & most of my riding is XC stuff a few 1 to 3 foot drop now and then, so getting to saddles For years I rode Flites the last one being a TT model 167 gram for the last year I have been riding a San Marco Aspide " Night Train" is the lightest model(149 grams) similar to the FX on there current site so I see no problems with you getting a SLR !

http://www.sellesanmarco.com/index.asp?language=2

however if you are one to brake everything you touch a lite saddle may not be for you

mtbr member
    I'm with Spincycle and DeadManwalking, there is nothing wrong with a light saddle if it matches your riding style. I'm 220-230# and have spend 4 seasons on a Ti rail Flite Gel and have not had any issues. When I race, and I have to dismount for any reason, I do running mounts. When I do these and its not perfect, my 220 lbs comes down hard on the saddle. So far so good. I can't imagine putting any more stress on the saddle than during these running mounts.

I recently spent 3 months on one of those all carbon Token saddles (145gms I think). Incredibly, it was very comfortable due to its anatomic shape, but I ended up selling it because I didn't like how slippery it was. I like a saddle with grip.

I'd try an SLR in a heartbeat. But then again, I don't break many parts, even on my 24lb XC dually.

Recently I was speaking with a well known bike industry guy and the topic of weight restrictions came up. His observation is this... he knows some 170lb guys that will break everything they ride, while other 240lb guys break nothing. Its all about the rider and how smooth or careful he is.

You decide what kind of rider you are and choose the saddle accordingly.

Mark

Can Tree Member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by MJ51
    I'm with Spincycle and DeadManwalking
    Hey! That's Dad Man Walking...

How do you think I ended up being a clyde?
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I got a Sette Race Ti Leather saddle, 198 grams from pricepoint.com for only 25 bucks+ shipping. Seat has good flex and is very light, I'm about 200 and feels good, pretty comfy for a race seat and no heavy price tag. It's basics like the SLR but cheaper.

This is on my 22lb magnesium HT

locked - time out

After reading all Replies,

numerous times. I have made a decision, with the pros and cons if a 135gram Butt-rest
    is suitable for 230# ME. And the pros have weighed heavier. The clincher was the fact
    that both sides said, "riding style" I fall in easy zone, Docs orders. And "if you can
    afford it" My piggy bank said Yes".

NASHBAR won on price, $90.

Ive enjoy'd the ride and thank each and everyone of you.

Jake Pay, SLR Here.

Thank You.
    Last edited by Pay Here; 03-02-2006 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spell

Quote Originally Posted by Dad Man Walking
    There's nothing wrong with Ti per se. I'm 220 (yeah, right) and have a Spec. Alias on the MTB and a Sella Italia Flite on the road bike. The Alias weighs 278g (actual weight) in the 143 (medium) width. The Flite is somewhere between 200g and 220g (I forget the exact figure).

The seatpost clamp is important. The Alias is on a Thomson and the Flite is on a Campy Ti post. I have not had problems with either.

Your intended use of the bike is important too. If you are riding it hard, an uber-light saddle might not make a lot of sense. But if you are not really all that hard on the bike and want to drop a little dough to try a lightweight saddle (and if you can afford to replace it if it does break), then why not give it a try...heck, it's only a hundred bucks or so.

You might want to stay away from the 135 gram models, and look for something a bit stronger but still substantially lighter than your current model. I am pretty sure that there are a lot of choices in the 175-200 gram range that would give you a 4-5 ounce weight savings and some extra bling. You'll probably have to mail order them, because your LBS won't sell them to you (if they are smart). But it still might work.

Give it a try and let us know how long it lasts. And be sure to post the x-ray images of the seatpost up your @ss when the saddle does break
    I never said there was anything wrong with Ti at all! I said that I have a Ti saddle that I love, but it is still on the heavy side. What I meant is that I would not go super light, hollow Ti rails, thin padding or thin shell just for the sake of dropping a few grams. When you want to get something that weighs 135 grams, you know, as a clyde, that there is a certain risk involved.

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    I never said there was anything wrong with Ti at all! I said that I have a Ti saddle that I love, but it is still on the heavy side. What I meant is that I would not go super light, hollow Ti rails, thin padding or thin shell just for the sake of dropping a few grams. When you want to get something that weighs 135 grams, you know, as a clyde, that there is a certain risk involved.
    Actually, it was PCinSC who said that he would be sticking with cromo rails.

I've not heard of saddles failing catastrophically (i.e., resulting in a seatpost up your @ss). I have heard of bent and broken rails. In that case, the risks of Jake's choice are (a) he has to ride home on a crooked saddle, and (b) he breaks a $100 part. I guess that depending on where and how you ride, and what your budget is, those could be acceptable or unacceptable risks--we pays our money and we takes our chances.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

long standing member
    Actually, it was PCinSC who said that he would be sticking with cromo rails..
    Damn right, and I'll say it again.

The difference for me is that I'm not gentle on my bike and and do like to jump over things, with the occasional tendancy to fall down. So I feel my best course of action is to stick with the reliable (and cheap and heavy). Plus it seems that I've got at least of few pounds on most of the people who responded.

I have heard of bent and broken rails. In that case, the risks of Jake's choice are (a) he has to ride home on a crooked saddle, and (b) he breaks a $100 part. I guess that depending on where and how you ride, and what your budget is, those could be acceptable or unacceptable risks--we pays our money and we takes our chances.
    I agree, each individual has to decide if it's worth it to them. If I turn my HT into a XC race specific bike then I probably will look into a lighter saddle too. But I don't think anyone makes a higher end, lighter weight saddle with chromoly rails. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Patrick

locked - time out

Still Thinking Here,

And wondering what "Venox" is? [spell]
    Never got around to ordering last night, and started surfing the net again this morning.
    I been around the world looking at butt rests.

jsigone, if your out there could you get back to me on some info on the Sette Race Ti:
    Is the leather thin, soft, durable, quality? And padding thickness?
    I read all the blah-blah on the AD. The best info comes from the rider! Plus at that price
    I cant go wrong if it turns out my a$$ has a distaste for race style saddles.

Thanks once again all good peeps.

Jake Pay, In search of Here.

Can Tree Member

Dude, you're killing us here...

And wondering what "Venox" is? [spell]
    Never got around to ordering last night, and started surfing the net again this morning.
    I been around the world looking at butt rests.

jsigone, if your out there could you get back to me on some info on the Sette Race Ti:
    I read all the blah-blah on the AD. The best info comes from the rider! Plus at that price

Enough already! We've talked out out of, then back into buying a high bling lightweight saddle...and how do you repay us? You make it all the way to the "Buy Now" button and then can't pull the trigger (click the clicker)? Be a man and buy the darn thing! You won't be able to look at yourself in the mirror, or get us off your back, until you get this done.

Go ahead, click here. It's easy!

If you don't like that one, you can always pass it around here and see how long it lasts. Or maybe you'll have the blingiest backside in the bunch with $350 worth of carbon shards pounded up your backside after it breaks when you roll too fast over a cigarette butt on the way to the trailhead.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

damn!

Enough already! We've talked out out of, then back into buying a high bling lightweight saddle...and how do you repay us? You make it all the way to the "Buy Now" button and then can't pull the trigger (click the clicker)? Be a man and buy the darn thing! You won't be able to look at yourself in the mirror, or get us off your back, until you get this done.

Go ahead, click here. It's easy!

If you don't like that one, you can always pass it around here and see how long it lasts. Or maybe you'll have the blingiest backside in the bunch with $350 worth of carbon shards pounded up your backside after it breaks when you roll too fast over a cigarette butt on the way to the trailhead.
    That's about a half pound lighter than my saddle! Don't know how comfy full carbon would be, though.

And there is the main point: just what are you willing to sacrifice for weight? If you want to sacrifice comfort, go with a lighter Ti railed saddle that doesn't have any padding. If you're willing to sacrifice strength and weight, then go with hollow Ti rails and no padding.

Why is it that the weaker and more uncomfortable the saddle the more money it costs?
    $350!!!!!

Can Tree Member

I know someone who rides one of those

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    That's about a half pound lighter than my saddle! Don't know how comfy full carbon would be, though.

And there is the main point: just what are you willing to sacrifice for weight? If you want to sacrifice comfort, go with a lighter Ti railed saddle that doesn't have any padding. If you're willing to sacrifice strength and weight, then go with hollow Ti rails and no padding.

Why is it that the weaker and more uncomfortable the saddle the more money it costs?
    $350!!!!!
    The guy is 165 lbs and it is on a road bike. He says it is comfortable enough b/c the carbon shell is flexible.

I asked him if I could sit on it. He told me to pound sand.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Seat is light, flexy saddle which is FINE for my HT. Leather is nice, not slick like others. Padding thin, just make up for the thinlike padding with some good shorts. I usually wear lycra shorts under my baggys and I never have saddle soreness. The ONLY prob i have with this saddle is when I have to move up on steeper climbs, the point of this saddle hurts my nuts. So i have to move up farther to clear this painfull stuff. But other then that, I'm happy with this saddle. Longest ride has been over 2 hours without any probs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast