willtsmith_nwi

12mm hub options ...

OK, so another question for my hefty brothers.

My new frame has the option of upgrading to 142x12 mm. Based on what happened to the old frame, I think this is wise.

In the past I've build with venerable XT hubs exclusively and just dealt with the occasional freehub blowout. They're cheap to replace and give you lots of warning before they finally go out.

However, it seems that the 142x12 hubs Shimano hubs have a fundamentally different freehub body that has a reputation for spontaneously splitting into multiple pieces without warning. Shimano CLAIMS to have fixed the problem.

So, here are the choices that makes sense to me.
    Shimano SLX 12x142 - Same pricepoint as the old XT hubs. Potential hub failures. Unknown reliability.

Hope Pro Evo 2 - more than I want to spend, but with apparently have reliability approaching Chris King without the CK price tag.

Any opinions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    White Industries or Stans will give you good quality without breaking the bank. Hopes are super nice but I hear the seals don't like wet/muddy environments. In the PNW that is certainly a consideration. I've had great success with White Industries products in the past. Super smooth, great quality, built in the USA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am no fan of Hope hubs, but they are the No 1 UK brand for a reason. Their kit is designed for year-round thrashing and serious mudplugging.

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    I am no fan of Hope hubs, but they are the No 1 UK brand for a reason. Their kit is designed for year-round thrashing and serious mudplugging.
    Despite the cost, I decided to go with a star ratchet freehub design. The chances of that slipping is far lower than a pawl design. Though, I am intrigued with the SupaDrive mechanism.

This place needs an enema
    I don't think Hope =/= to King when it comes to long term durability. Hope's are more prone to grenade under torque, while King's are more finicky but rarely if ever fail outright.

DT star ratchet hubs (350, 240s, 440) are kind of the best of both worlds--never finicky, very, very very rarely slip under load, and when they do you can pop two new ratchets in (trailside, in the time it takes someone to take a leak) and you're good for another couple years.

I'd say ya done good.

MC