mtbr member
    Sep 2011

120mm vs 100mm for Clyde

Hi guys,

I am shopping around for a new FS 29'er and am trying to work out if I should get a 100mm travel bike like the Kona Hei Hei or the Salsa Spearfish, or one of the new 120mm bikes like the Satori or Horsethief.

I am 6'3" and 280lbs. I am not a very aggressive rider a mainly want the bike for trails and some endurance riding

I was just worried that a 100mm bike would not have enough travel for a guy my size.

Thanks for your help
    Craig

S-Mart's Top of the Line
    I ride a lot of urban and trails...Freedom Park is popular here and has some pretty sweet features. I do a lot of kickers, jumps, drops, staircases, etc. Although I'm lighter now, I started off @ 281 riding a 100mm MZ Comp. I never had a problem not having enough travel on that setup. I also used to ride that same setup for endurance, again without issue, although I've been riding rigid for endurance as of late. I never really saw a need for more travel either...If anything I'd think it would be sloppy when carrying so much weight. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Best thing to do is test ride a 100 on a trail that is typical of what you normally ride. I rode a Salsa Spearfish on one of my typical trails and definately felt the 100 mm travel. I had also ridden some of the 120 mm travel bikes and they were much smoother. I don't get a lot of air or do drops much over two feet, but our trails are pretty rocky and rough. I decided on the Salsa Horsethief as it rides a lot like the Spearfish, only more travel and a bit beefier. I am 6'2" 225.

Freshly Fujified

Not sure it matters

On either a 100mm or 120mm fork, you have to adjust the sag via the preload. For heavier riders, you'll need more preload, and (I believe at least) the more preload, the stiffer the fork will be through it's entire travel. If I'm right (and I could be wrong) regardless of your weight, you should determine amount of travel by the type of riding you're doing. If you're doing XC, you won't need more than 100mm.

Can anyone else pipe in on this? I don't want to mislead the OP.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Making fat cool since '71
    Exactly what CmC said, your weight DOES NOT dictate how much travel you "need" in a bike. Properly set-up suspension can be difficult to achieve as a clyde, but the amount is irrelevant in regards to your weight. I have a singlespeed with 100mm fork, hardtail AM bike with 160mm fork, squish play bike w/170mm front/back...they all have their intended uses and those intended uses have driven their build/set-up not my size.

Get the bike you feel most comfortable on...'cuz then you'll have the most fun on it.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks Guys - I appreciate the help.