Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1" threaded headest loosening

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  grawbass 
#1 ·
Anyone else have problems with this? I just finished building my first super-low-budget singlespeed bike and during my first real ride on it, the headset started to loosen up after about 1.5 hours.
See here for bike pics:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=209799

I may have just not had it tight enough, but I am wondering if I should expect this to continue, due to me being 6'3" 215 lbs (without gear) and riding this full rigid over small jumps and stuff (under 2 ft), but mostly mild to moderate XC. I have since borrowed some proper headset wrenches and mashed that top nut as tight as I could get it turned onto the bottom one.

So, what do you guys think? Will it be fine if I keep it super tight, or does Clyde + Rigid = Broken Bike?

#2 ·
hallin222 said:
Anyone else have problems with this? I just finished building my first super-low-budget singlespeed bike and during my first real ride on it, the headset started to loosen up after about 1.5 hours.
See here for bike pics:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=209799

I may have just not had it tight enough, but I am wondering if I should expect this to continue, due to me being 6'3" 215 lbs (without gear) and riding this full rigid over small jumps and stuff (under 2 ft), but mostly mild to moderate XC. I have since borrowed some proper headset wrenches and mashed that top nut as tight as I could get it turned onto the bottom one.

So, what do you guys think? Will it be fine if I keep it super tight, or does Clyde + Rigid = Broken Bike?
This problem has very little to do with your weight (I barely consider 215 a clyde) and alot to do with the fact that threaded headsets just tend to loosen sometimes, although 1.5 hours is pretty quick. I've had some that like to loosen and some that don't.

They used to sell headset locknuts, which are a split design and are tightened onto the fork with bolts. Similar to the way a threadless stem mounts to a threadless fork. They still pop up on ebay pretty regularly.

You might want to repost your question on the vintage, retro, classic forum also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.