mtbr member
    Jul 2010

1/2 the Clyde I used to be.......thanks to Congestive Heart Failure

Just went through a near death experience of congestive heart failure, Was in ICU for 18days hospital for 26. Went from a Big Strong 312lbs to losing 53lbs of muscle during that period down to 259lbs. Body just wasted itself. At the moment I can barely walk, getting a little better each day. Docs say won't feel "normal" for at least 3 months. It'll be a new normal, muscle is just gone......look like I did muscle wise like I was when I was 14 before I ever touched a weight. Heart is enlarged on the bottom and cannot pump all of the blood out of the bottom efficiently. I hope that I can get back on my bike by the end of next season. At least I did get my 1K miles in this year.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear of your troubles, and hopefully you'll be back on the bike before long. Just make sure you listen to the doctors on this one. Just out of curiosity, looking back, did you have any warning signs that you were headed for heart failure?
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMTBer View Post
    Sorry to hear of your troubles, and hopefully you'll be back on the bike before long. Just make sure you listen to the doctors on this one. Just out of curiosity, looking back, did you have any warning signs that you were headed for heart failure?
    I guess during workouts my stamina was getting worse by the day, worked out first week of Pneumonia, didn't know i had it yet, just though it was a chest cold. Next two weeks I was way too fatigued the the ER. Prior to getting sick I was in the gym 6 days a week training, High protein low carb diet, ate clean, was shedding body fat putting on more muscle, felt healthy. Got a weird cold about two months prior, lasted 3-4 weeks, went away 2 weeks later started what ended up to be pneumonia for 3 weeks that led to the CHF and an HA. Your right, definitely got to take this one slow. Tried to go the grocery store and was there a little too long and got home(only 25-30 minutes pushing an almost empty cart looking for types of food that would suit my new condition) and got home in a complete sweat heart racing and tightness in my chest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post
    I guess during workouts my stamina was getting worse by the day, worked out first week of Pneumonia, didn't know i had it yet, just though it was a chest cold. Next two weeks I was way too fatigued the the ER. Prior to getting sick I was in the gym 6 days a week training, High protein low carb diet, ate clean, was shedding body fat putting on more muscle, felt healthy. Got a weird cold about two months prior, lasted 3-4 weeks, went away 2 weeks later started what ended up to be pneumonia for 3 weeks that led to the CHF and an HA. Your right, definitely got to take this one slow. Tried to go the grocery store and was there a little too long and got home(only 25-30 minutes pushing an almost empty cart looking for types of food that would suit my new condition) and got home in a complete sweat heart racing and tightness in my chest.
    Damn dude, take it real slow an easy!

I actually lost a guy I knew to pneumonia (dude was very healthy, low weight and early 20's). He spent 3weeks in the hospital fighting it before his heart gave out. I got pneumonia shortly after wards and it freaked me out! I didn't know what was up until the third week. I finally started feeling good or what I thought. I called my boss an told him I was good and headed to work. I didn't get three blocks from the house until my chest started killing me! It felt like someone dropped kicked me in the chest and stuck me in a vise! I was out another 4 weeks! I'm rarely ever sick and was scared shitless!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 50calray View Post

I actually lost a guy I knew to pneumonia (dude was very healthy, low weight and early 20's). He spent 3weeks in the hospital fighting it before his heart gave out. I got pneumonia shortly after wards and it freaked me out! I didn't know what was up until the third week. I finally started feeling good or what I thought. I called my boss an told him I was good and headed to work. I didn't get three blocks from the house until my chest started killing me! It felt like someone dropped kicked me in the chest and stuck me in a vise! I was out another 4 weeks! I'm rarely ever sick and was scared shitless!!
    Yeah, when I got home, chest pain definitely scared me , I lay down in bed with a huge fan on me to cool me off and tried to control my breathing. It took like 30 minutes. I just spent nearly a month in the hospital, don't wanna be there again any time soon. Then I was pretty worn out for a while afterwards.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post
    Yeah, when I got home, chest pain definitely scared me , I lay down in bed with a huge fan on me to cool me off and tried to control my breathing. It took like 30 minutes. I just spent nearly a month in the hospital, don't wanna be there again any time soon. Then I was pretty worn out for a while afterwards.
    WOW, I'm glad you're doing well and would take it easy for a while...even after you feel like you're doing better.

Also, I ended up with eczema on my hands, aka sevier dry skin. I guess it was due to the continuation of high temperatures over the weeks. Both hands started blistering and was a huge mess which lasted 2wk from start to finish. They didn't hurt but I couldn't do crap except lay in bed or on the couch for nearly 2 months total and it drove me bat **** crazy!

Take it easy and get well!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 50calray View Post

I was trying to figure out what a Clyde is, stumbled on this!

Dam!

I caught pneumonia in June was initially out all that month and fired by work due to sickness! It went around my heart too! Agonizing pain. Luckily I have a top lawyer handling the irregular aspects even in Switzerland the sick are protected.

It's a scary disease boys, both emotionally and physically. I missed out on what made me feel happy & that's biking. My parents were both doctors & I had the utmost & best care, so you need to listen to your doctors. Typically this with enlarged heart need to take it very slowly. I had dry pneumonia around the heart, slightly looking enlarged & pericarditis. There is only one life buddy, seize it & know you are not alone. Hopefully you have a good family around you.

Now tell me please what's a Clydesdale?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
    I was trying to figure out what a Clyde is, stumbled on this!

Now tell me please what's a Clydesdale?
    Basically a Clyde is a tall or large rider over 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Wow okay, Clydesdale was the bank I was with in Scotland as a kid One of few that didn't get bailed out

Also:- Noun:
    A horse of a heavy, powerful breed, used for pulling heavy loads.
    A dog of a small breed of terrier.