mtbr member

'06 AM1 vs '06 Minute 3 (x-post from shock forum)

I know, I know another "help me figure out what fork to buy" thread. Both are ~$250 (I'm on a college student's budget) on Greenfishsports' site. I dig the ETA feature on the AM1, but have heard that the damping isn't so great. On the other hand, the Minute will probably be easier to set up and lighter, but I have heard its reliability isn't so great and the company is a little sketchy. This fork will be for a Surly Instigator that I use for agressive XC/All-mountain with some mild drops mixed in. Any opinions on what this 230 lbs. Clyde should buy?

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    I am 210lbs and I have an 06 Minute :03 with 130mm travel. I have only ridden it for about 2 months, but I love it. I can't say much for the ETA as I have never ridden it. I did have Zocchi MZ1, and it was a good fork, but comparing the minute and that is apples and oranges.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending the manitou. I don't have any experience w/ customer service. I also bought mine from greenfish and it was great. Use the code FISHFX for 10% off until 8/5, and get it for even less. I'm a college student too

dirty trail dog
    My Minute 3:00 rode fine for about 3 months then went to hell. It lost about half its travel, all of it's cush, and the rebound adjustment knob broke off. It also started shooting oil everywhere when you disconnected the air pump. I guess it needed servicing, but instead I just went and paid too much for a Fox.
    yep...

Making fat cool since '71
    Marzocchi...

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matamua
    I am 210lbs and I have an 06 Minute :03 with 130mm travel. I have only ridden it for about 2 months, but I love it. I can't say much for the ETA as I have never ridden it. I did have Zocchi MZ1, and it was a good fork, but comparing the minute and that is apples and oranges.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending the manitou. I don't have any experience w/ customer service. I also bought mine from greenfish and it was great. Use the code FISHFX for 10% off until 8/5, and get it for even less. I'm a college student too
    Wish I would have know about that code before I ordered the marzocchi. . .
    I installed it last week and rode it for the first time on Sunday.

Here are my first impressions:

- Way stiffer than my previous fork (marzocchi EXR). Brake performance was improved across the board; plus, it feels way more planted in turns. My confidence has really improved on rough, tight singletrack.

- Pretty plush on bigger hits even though it isn't quite broken in yet. Noticed the damping issue over repeated small hits that some have mentioned on here, but it didn't bother me.

- ETA is an awesome feature; it made the longer more technical climbs on the trail I rode a lot easier.

- It added ~2 pounds to my already chubby hardtail.

Overall, I'm really happy with my purchase, and can't wait to take it out on the trail again.