mtbr member
    Dec 2004

'02 Trek Fuel 90 Clydworthy (Breakable Frame?)

A used ’02 Trek Fuel 90 with disc brakes is available locally for $850. This would be an inexpensive way for me to pick up my first FS rig and expand my stable to 2 bikes (providing a back-up when one breaks). I'd appreciate feedback. Should I buy? Should I counter offer at a lower price?

The vast majority of the 29 reviews at mtbr.com are very positive. 2 report cracked frames, which is a small portion of reviews. Do ’02 Fuel frames have a reputation for cracking? I'm a little concerned about the availability of fixes to the problems listed in one review; I’ve listed all of them below, but I most concerned about the "brake torque arm" which may no longer be available. I assume moving the "chainrings 1-2 mm closer to the bottom bracket" and the other issues can be fixed with materials available today.

• Fixable Issues
      -the rear Hayes Hydraulic brakes vibrates to the extent that the entire bike vibrates, shudders, and makes a very loud noise. This can be cured by referring to Trek's Service Bulletin dated Nov 7, 2001 which describes various adjustments including the installation of a "brake torque arm".
      -the chain falls off the middle chain ring in climbs ... the problem is the misalignment of the chain rings with the rear cogs. This can be fixed by moving the chainrings 1-2 mm closer to the bottom bracket.
      -Creaking noise in the frame, Trek has addressed this in recent frames. It comes from inside the tube which runs up from the bottom bracket where two tubes meet and rub against each other under stress. It can be fixed with the proper adhesive.
      -Some of the 2002 Fox rear shocks are subject to slow air loss due to defective air-sleeve seals made from an incorrect rubber compound

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2002_Ful...ct_85776.shtml

Team Chilidog!
    I remember there have been a few threads about crackable Fuel frames on the Clydesdale forums.

Ask BigLarry about Fuels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    One of the reviews remarked that frame problems were going to be addressed from '05 on. In any event, I will not be buying that used Fuel. In fact, I'm gonna back burner my search for a new bike until I have more money.