mtbr member
    Jan 2008

$1200 budget...need some direction.

I have been looking at several setups over the net for the past month and I cant decide what type of bike to go with...26" hardtail, 26" FS, or 29" hardtail. I'm 6" tall and weigh about 268 down from 291. I would like to go with a full suspension at this point because it makes going over the bumps a lot easier on my body. I dont think a Thudbuster on a hardtail is quite the same as a FS bike, but what do I know. lol I know that $1200 isnt much of a budget when considering a full suspension bike, so should I stay with a hardtail that has a better parts kit or try to find a deal on a FS (like a leftover)? I dont do any aggressive riding, jumping, or do big drops, but I do like to go through the woods at a good clip when I can. Im open to suggestions. Some of the bikes I have considered are the Kona Five O Deluxe (2009 leftover), Diamondback Sortie 1 (2009 leftover), Current Norco Faze 3/Fluid 3, Current Kona Steely, Kona Coilair (2009 leftover) and Current Giant Yukon FX.
    Last edited by bahamabluez; 02-28-2011 at 03:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The hardtail versus full suspension question is really a matter of choice. You should ride both kinds of bike first and decide which you like best. Ideally, you’d do this on the trail, maybe at a demo day when when a manufacturer (e.g., trek) brings a bunch of their bikes to a trail and you can try them out. Or, ride them around the LBS.

I don’t know all the bikes you list at the end of your post, but they all seem to come from reputable brands. You could test ride them all and just choose the one you like the best. Maybe take a look at reviews online and see if any of them have a reputation for breaking.

Perhaps the most important thing is to get the right size bike. Don’t get talked into a bike of the wrong size because it is on sale. At 6 foot, you should probably be looking mostly at Large (19” or 20”) frames.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Be careful with the sizing. Some bikes bikes like the Steely just come in 4 sizes and you don't want to be stuck on a bike thats too big. I ordered the steely in 18'' and I am 6'1 & 215lbs. I think the Steely is more than enough bike to handle what you have in mind. I think its always better to get a nicely spec'ed HT then a bottom of the barrel FS. The only thing I would worry about, and this goes with any bike you will look at, would be to replace the fork insides to a heavier type coil to match your weight.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    x2 the steely. i would recommend a good rigid SS 29er, so dont listen to me. but if i wanted gears and sus on a 1200 budget, that kona would be just the ticket.