mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Buying on Pinkbike

Any tips on doing so securely?

mtbr member
    I'd have good luck twice but both bikes needed more than I expected but that's why you make sure you're getting a solid enough deal to budget for atleast the basic maintenance issues. If you are an at home mechanic and competent you can get a great deal on some bikes that need work. If you're not good at wrenching on stuff than I'd find a bike that looks very clean and has lots of info/pics from the owner. If anything majorly is wrong than paypal will step in if needed but do not rely too much on this unless it's way out of what the description of the bike is or heavily damaged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks, I was more seeking input on the financial transaction - nervous about sending a paypal payment without the protection of an eBay transaction, for example

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker View Post
    Thanks, I was more seeking input on the financial transaction - nervous about sending a paypal payment without the protection of an eBay transaction, for example
    Paypal will protect you. Just make sure that your or the seller have typed up a detailed description on the paypal payment of what items are being purchased, the condition, size etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Itís like any other transaction really. Nothing is absolutely secure, but Iíve bought and sold a ton of stuff on PB. If buying, I generally look at how long the seller has been a member and how many items heís sold.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Contact a local bike shop in the seller's area, and have the seller bring the bike to the shop. Pay the shop to professionally pack and ship the bike to you. You will need to pay the seller and wait for it to clear paypal before the shop actually ships the bike to protect the seller from shipping a bike for free. That will take a few days. When the transaction clears, the shop should ship the bike, but they need to hold onto it in the meantime. This reassures you that the bike exists and that the seller won't take it back after you pay. You might also have the shop inspect the bike for damage before you pay. I've sold three like this.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Avoid dirty bikes, as that could mean the seller is hiding the true condition! I had one douche from pinkbike do this. When I got the bike and cleaned it off there was a ton of damage and corrosion. Luckily for me, it was an easy dispute and with PP's return shipping compensation I was only out 30 bucks but a ton of time wasted.

Make sure you use a credit card!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    PayPal has protection. Never send funds as "friends or family", otherwise you're not going to be protected. Ask questions about the product and assess how they react. If they only say things like "it's in good condition" even though you asked specifically "how long are the cranks" then you should be worried. But if you know it's a human being responding to you and you send via PayPal Goods and Services, then there's not much to worry about. Also, make sure they ship it to the address you have on Paypal. I've heard PayPal won't protect for "missing" shipments if you told the seller to ship to an alternate address.

mtbr member
    I've bought two bikes and (3) sets of carbon wheels on PB among many other smaller parts and have never had a problem.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have sold a lot on PB including 8 bikes over the years.
    Ask questions like where the seller rides and if he races. How long have they owned the bike, what parts have been replaced, when was the drivetrain done? Questions like this will give you a indication on what kind of person the seller is.
    Get them to send you a lot of pictures, detailed close up shots.
    If you want to bargain them down or trade make them aware of that early on. Don't waste someones time.
    If something doesn't feel right then DON'T do the deal. If you still feel hesitant only deal with people you can meet face to face. Shipping a bike costs money so you could drive halfway to meet a lot of sellers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ask lots of questions, ask for lots of pictures, never pay with "friends/family" and ask lots of questions (yes, I know I already said that). I always ask for more pictures or at least better resolution pictures than the ones posted on the site, but it depends on what I'm buying. If someone is being flaky answering you, watch out. Get things in writing via email or messages on PB so that you'll have solid ground to stand on if anything goes wrong.

Barely in control
    Pinkbike sellers guide to description:

New in Box = Taken out of the box, used, and put back in the box
    Basically New = New when he bought it, used for 6 months, still basically new, except for being used for 6 months.
    New Take Off = It was on my new bike for a year while I was saving for a better one.
    Only like 10 rides = Hucked off jumps for 6 months.
    Only rode half a season = at least two years of steady use; barely any life left.
    Bearings feel good = replace bearings asap.
    Small use marks = large impact cracks
    Minor Dents, still holds air = rim, spokes, and hubs are wasted.
    Lots of life left = cassette is trashed.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Pinkbike sellers guide to description:

New in Box = Taken out of the box, used, and put back in the box
    Basically New = New when he bought it, used for 6 months, still basically new, except for being used for 6 months.
    New Take Off = It was on my new bike for a year while I was saving for a better one.
    Only like 10 rides = Hucked off jumps for 6 months.
    Only rode half a season = at least two years of steady use; barely any life left.
    Bearings feel good = replace bearings asap.
    Small use marks = large impact cracks
    Minor Dents, still holds air = rim, spokes, and hubs are wasted.
    Lots of life left = cassette is trashed.

Hope this helps.
    lol, this is pretty accurate for most that I have bought as well. I've gotten a handful of messages from people who couldn't believe the items I sold them were exactly as the pictures showed and most times in better condition than described. But after buying a few things myself, I then understood why they were so elated.