Super Clyde

What are those with trucks using for racks?

I'd like to get a rack for my '16 Ram 2500, I'm tired of just throwing my bike in the back. Eventually I'm going to damage the bike, it's only a matter of time. I don't want a tailgate pad, because I use my backup camera, and I don't want a hitch mount because it will cover up my plate when not in use. Ideally a low profile crossbar system that I can leave on with my tonneau cover in place. Any ideas?
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I set up a system above the tonneau cover on my 1500.

Works great, carries 4 bikes. It is a bit of a pain to roll up the cover with the rack on though.

Super Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by Lic-Niner View Post
    I set up a system above the tonneau cover on my 1500.

Works great, carries 4 bikes. It is a bit of a pain to roll up the cover with the rack on though.
    Is it of your own design, or did you buy it somewhere?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Itís a non-standard combination of Yakima parts. Itís not available as a kit, but I didnít have to fabricate any of it. The tracks on the bed rails are designed for being installed on a topper or fiberglass Jeep roof, and I used skyline tower feet for the quick release feature. The aero bars are a longer size than the kits include. I had to drill a bunch of holes in the bed rails to bolt down the tracks.

It got pretty expensive, but it works so well I donít mind. I have enough space to carry 4 riders, bikes and a weeks worth of gear (the truck is a crew cab)

mtbr member

I just used some good old PVC. Cost me about $15. I prefer to load the bikes in the bed. Waving in the breeze makes me nervous. I didnít want to drill any holes, wanted it easily removable, an wanted to be able to close the tonneau cover when not in use. I didnít want a tailgate pad, and didnít want a hitch mount. This PVC rack thing is held in with some bungies, and the bikes are held upright with some bungies in the back if Iím going to be driving any distance.

mtbr member
    I made a dropped one so I could get in and out of the garage with the bike on the rack. Tonneau cover will close over the racks when not in use.

What are those with trucks using for racks?-2012-07-22_14-44-51_800.jpg
    What are those with trucks using for racks?-img_20160927_192658321_hdr-small-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Iíve used multiple methods.

Hitch mounted rack - simple, easy to take off when not in use, and doesnít interfere with bed space, but adds length and somewhat expensive for a good one

Tailgate pad - inexpensive, easy to use, less secure (requires separate cable lock or similar), possible rub/wear on frame, fork, and tailgate over time

Bed rail mounted fork rack (Yakima Bedhead/Blockhead or similar) - simple, fairly inexpensive, holds bikes securely, works with all forks (with an adapter), requires separate lock system for through axle forks (cable, etc.), takes up some bed space, requires front wheel removal

I use the tailgate pad more than anything else. Ease of use/laziness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deviant
    I just ordered one of these tailgate pads. My problem is that I have a Raptor with a truck box in the back and I need what little bed space I have for other things when not being used for bikes. I'd also prefer not to drill holes in my truck if I can avoid it. I tried hanging my bike over the tailgate today before I ordered and was surprised how stable the bike was just sitting there over a towel.
    https://www.evocusa.com/collections/...lgate-pad-2015

Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post

I just used some good old PVC.
    Super Genius! I like that but my box is far to short and I'd have to leave my tailgate down.

mtbr member
    I've been researching this exact same thing. I'm looking for a way to transport my bikes while still keeping items in the bed dry and secure. The Ridgelander by Undercover looks like a pretty slick setup. Bonus that I get to reuse my existing roof trays...

https://www.undercoverinfo.com/p-371...dgelander.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Iíve got a rolling, hard tonneau cover from Pace Edwards, the Ultragroove. The side rails are slotted to accept Yakima or Thule towers and crossbars. All accessories that would work on rooftop applications will work over the bed, and donít interfere with bed space or cover function. The cover also locks closed with my locking tailgate, securing and waterproofing bed contents. Not cheap, but awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I looked at the Pace Edwards, but those Ultragroove systems were $1200, not to mention the mildly breathtaking cost of the Yakimaís and Thule systems. I certainly donít doubt their quality, but thatís just way more money than Iíd spend on a method to transport my bikes, especially given the fact that getting them on the rack is awkward. Itís been far easier for me to just pull the bike up into the bed, put a bungee over the rear wheel and drive on. Getting them down is even easier. That would be my choice even if it meant leaving the tailgate down.

As to tailgate pads...many of them do have cutouts so that the tailgate latch and the backup camera arenít covered.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Google ride88, looks pretty interesting to me.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mpress View Post
    I've been researching this exact same thing. I'm looking for a way to transport my bikes while still keeping items in the bed dry and secure. The Ridgelander by Undercover looks like a pretty slick setup. Bonus that I get to reuse my existing roof trays...

https://www.undercoverinfo.com/p-371...dgelander.html
    The overlanding manufacturers offer a TON of similar sorts of products. I went to the overland expo (east) recently and saw several. Pretty sure this was one of them. Bonus that they work with Rhino Rack bits. I've got a Rhino Rack Foxwing awning that's pretty killer. They make good stuff.

This was another cool product that can do similar, but uses the truck's stake pockets. Compatible with Yakima bars.

Marquette Mounts Truck Rack - Base Rack for Trucks

I have also used the Yakima bedhead as well as the pvc mount. My pvc mount now lives in my garage, as I don't have a pickup atm. I intend my next vehicle to be a pickup, though. I am personally leaning towards a camper shell with fork mounts inside, possibly on slide-out trays (that can easily be removed from the truck). Depends on how much height I have to work with. I already have a hitch rack that I can use, but I want a solid in-bed option for when I'm taking the camper out, esp for longer trips.

I have used a tailgate pad in the past, and it's a system I'm not a fan of. ONE shuttle with one, and my bike got several notable scratches. No way would I rely on one of those for frequent bike transport.

The Ride88 does look pretty good, though, for refinement over the classic pvc rack.

https://www.ride88usa.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frints View Post
    Google ride88, looks pretty interesting to me.
    That looks like a great rack. I like that you can buy a rack per bike needed. Very clever.

I can't really tell, but it looks like their KickStarter campaign failed as of about 3 months ago. The needed $130,000 to begin production and raised $25,284. Are these things even available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    Is it of your own design, or did you buy it somewhere?
    But a set of Thule T Tracks and bolt them to your rails. Then use feet and load bars. Iíve done it as well. But it is a pain with tonneau cover unless you have the retractable type.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    That looks like a great rack. I like that you can buy a rack per bike needed. Very clever.

I can't really tell, but it looks like their KickStarter campaign failed as of about 3 months ago. The needed $130,000 to begin production and raised $25,284. Are these things even available?
    According to the website I linked, they're hand-building them to order in the USA, instead of doing larger scale production.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I joined their mailing list and about 2 week ago they said they were ready to order but the 1st production run will take about 2-3 months.

I've been using a Pipeline rack for a long time but this looks like a better design, the pipeline holds my bikes but they tend to sway back on forth on turns, this looks like it will hold much better.

There was a post by the guy who created this rack several month ago when he launched the kickstarter campaign.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I designed the MultiTaskR, by Exodux, a couple of years ago and have been extensively testing and has been excellently received everywhere we have shown the rack. The MultiTaskR went into production a couple of weeks ago and we should start shipping in Late February/ March 2018.

I started a company called Hurricane Components back in 1995 and sold the company in 2003, we already were deeply involved in bike transport with the product we called the "ForkUp" which is still produced and is currently being marketing by Thule and Yakima as well as Hurricane. We also made cranks, stems, seat posts and other items, so we have extensive knowledge of bikes and the industry.

With the MultiTaskR, we first designed it as a bike rack, then afterwards thought of all the other uses and users that it could have, such as having other mounting fixtures to carry things like kayaks, lumber, surfboards, SUP, ladders, pipe, etc, without using tie downs, bungie cords or rope.
    The main purpose of this design was to keep what your carrying off of your tailgate so no damage will be caused to either the truck, bikes or whatever you carry. We believe we did just that, as everything can be securely locked to boot.
    I have used tailgate pads in the past, and while cheap and easy, they have potential to cause damage to your bike and your truck.

The MultiTakR uses all high grade materials such as aircraft grade aluminum and stainless steel. No plastic is used except for the Delrin collets used for inside the bikes steerer tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are those with trucks using for racks?-fullsizeoutput_f75.jpg  

What are those with trucks using for racks?-img_2462.jpg  

What are those with trucks using for racks?-img_2483.jpg  

What are those with trucks using for racks?-img_0210.jpg  

What are those with trucks using for racks?-img_0065.jpg  

What are those with trucks using for racks?-img_0224.jpg  

EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have zero complaints about the Thule Tailgater I've been using for 3+ years now. It's so quick and simple.
    Anthem Advanced
    ECR

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lic-Niner View Post
    Itís a non-standard combination of Yakima parts. Itís not available as a kit, but I didnít have to fabricate any of it. The tracks on the bed rails are designed for being installed on a topper or fiberglass Jeep roof, and I used skyline tower feet for the quick release feature. The aero bars are a longer size than the kits include. I had to drill a bunch of holes in the bed rails to bolt down the tracks.
    )
    Would you happen to have the parts numbers? I desperately need something like this for our truck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mLeier View Post
    Would you happen to have the parts numbers? I desperately need something like this for our truck.
    I found my order confirmation email, and I have a parts list but not the actual part numbers.

2 packs of Yakima landing pad 1
    Yakima 54Ē tracks with bolts
    4 piece set of skyline towers
    70Ē Yakima jetstream bars
    4 pack Yakima sks lock cores

My everyday setup is two rocky mounts brass knuckles trays, but I have a couple others that I use for bigger groups.

If you have a longer bed than my 5.5í then you may be able to use longer tracks.

Hope that helps

Co Springs
    Seen this last Weds on a ride with a buddy...... simple clamp set-up and very sturdy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Moderator Moderator
    I'd like to get a rack for my '16 Ram 2500, I'm tired of just throwing my bike in the back. Eventually I'm going to damage the bike, it's only a matter of time. I don't want a tailgate pad, because I use my backup camera, and I don't want a hitch mount because it will cover up my plate when not in use. Ideally a low profile crossbar system that I can leave on with my tonneau cover in place. Any ideas?
    I had (have) a tonneau cover but ended up getting a Leer topper back in the spring. We just had too many bikes and I was tired of taking our Saris Superclamp in and out of the hitch all the time. Accessing the bed of my truck was priority.

Thought I would share my setup, 2013 Ram Megacab. My wife and I own a small bike company so we are shuttling bikes and boxes all over the place.

Topper Roof Rack - Rocky Mounts Tomahawk roof trays (5 of them) on a Leer reinforced topper using Yakima towers and crossbars. This is the fast racking setup, though we need a 5 foot stepladder as itís almost 7í from the ground to the tray. Tray#3 in the middle is hard to access and needs bars turned sideways, but it works.

Bed (covered) storage and transport: In the bed I have a piece of carpet glued to a 1/16 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. plastic panel cut down to 6'5" in length which is bed length in our Ram 2500. This allows for three things:
    1. Our complete bike boxes to slide in way easierĖ bedliner rubber is not box sliding friendly.
    2. Plastic panel + carpet covers the channels in truck bed, my son and I sleep in the bed sometimes for quick riding trips instead of pulling the toy hauler (#RamMegaCabEnve) and the thermarest Tandem LE is super comfy.
    3. We have a carpeted glider board made out of birch ĺ ply cut down which can hold all of the bikes on the roof Ė or 5 more bikes if we are going to a demo for a total of 10 bikes. The fork mounts are staggered, so if we have just 2 or 3 bikes then bars might not need to be rotated depending on width. If we are putting all 5 in the back, then we remove pedals and twist bars.

If we are somewhere super sketchy, we have a 12x15 canvas painters tarp always behind the back seats of the truck we can throw over the bikes and gear in the back. The tinted windows deters most, and we are not plastered with MTB related stickers which is basically like a roach coach pulling up at a construction site saying ďcome and get it..Ē Though if I ever wrap this truck then all I will need to move to plan B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are those with trucks using for racks?-20171029_140512.jpg  

What are those with trucks using for racks?-20171025_102519.jpg  

What are those with trucks using for racks?-20171025_102638.jpg  

Front Range Forum Moderator

Super Clyde
    That's a lot of bikes!

I ended up with a Thule Insta-Gator. It came today, and new bike comes on Wednesday, so I'll post my impressions then.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Got in touch with the multitaskR folks today. Probably gonna pull the trigger on it. Just so cool and my TLD pad was stolen off my truck so want something thats not gonna get ripped off plus have superior holding ability. Ive got a north shore 6 and a kuatnv for my excursion and travel trailer but the multitaskR just looks so perfect for the truck. Cant wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    That's a lot of bikes!

I ended up with a Thule Insta-Gator. It came today, and new bike comes on Wednesday, so I'll post my impressions then.
    I had a couple insta-gators, worked ok on the street but off road the bikes would sway so badly that they would work the clamping bar loose. Just keep an eye on it it you drive dirt roads often. I ended up giving mine away and use my One-up in the hitch.

Super Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    I had a couple insta-gators, worked ok on the street but off road the bikes would sway so badly that they would work the clamping bar loose. Just keep an eye on it it you drive dirt roads often. I ended up giving mine away and use my One-up in the hitch.
    I don't drive off road much with my bike, so hopefully I'll be okay. I don't that I can use a hitch rack, I have a 2.5" receiver. Having to use a 2" adapter limits my choices.

mtbr member
    I would've looked at the SeaSucker products, if you have a hard shell bed cover. Just suction cup it on there.

I just throw my bikes over the tailgate with a towel, piece of foam under the down tube, and a bungee cord.... I'm a cheap ass.

mtbr member
    My Nissan has a five foot bed and my bikes are too long with the tail gate up so I bought a 1upUSA rack. They're expensive but solid. I love it.

I know you don't want to cover your tag, with these rack they can be left in the carry position and the tag is clear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are those with trucks using for racks?-img_5731.jpg  

The more Marines I have around, the better I like it.
    -Wesley Clark

Super Clyde
    I loved my 1Up, but I had the 1.25" version, and they didn't make an adapter from 1.25" to 2.5." I think the Insta-gators I bought will work fine. My bikes fit lengthwise with about an inch to spare.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I loved my 1Up, but I had the 1.25" version, and they didn't make an adapter from 1.25" to 2.5." I think the Insta-gators I bought will work fine. My bikes fit lengthwise with about an inch to spare.
    do you want to sell the one-up?

Super Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    do you want to sell the one-up?
    I already did.

Professional Crastinator
    Despite my initial review, I finally got this one sorted out to where I like it. It is somewhat less flexible in arrangement than I had hoped, but I made it work. And I did get the 2 racks set up close together without the bikes interfering (one forward, one backward). It requires crossbars - mine is Sport-Rak, with a roll-up tonneau cover.

Swagman Race Ready Roof Rack Review (includes fatbikes)

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thule instagater works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro