mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Trailer hitch for 2013 Golf R?

Has anyone put a trailer hitch on a Golf R? There are plenty of options for a GTI or regular a Golf, but the R has center exhaust which complicates things.

I am using a roof rack now but am getting tired of putting filthy, muddy bikes on my car. Not to mention the fear of driving into my garage with the bike on the car.

b a n n e d
    A buddy with a Golf R put a Torklift on his R and it came out nice. Super easy install too.

https://torkliftcentral.com/2015-201...olf-r-ecohitch
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    That's the later generation, it had a different exhaust system than mine does.

since 4/10/2009
    I don't think I could ever buy a car with center exhaust because of hitch fitment issues.

mtbr member
    The center exhaust will prevent a hitch from being installed, but there are some bike carrying options that will get your bikes off the vehicle roof. Here's a link to some suggestions you might find helpful.

https://www.etrailer.com/expert-35.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    You'd have to deal with importing since I don't think you can buy one in N/A, but Paulchen could be an option if you want it off the roof:

https://paulchensystem.net/products/...nd-r-line.html

Trailer hitch for 2013 Golf R?-untitled.jpg
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Finally got around to getting an estimate on a custom hitch (in case anyone else was wondering).

Tork Lift will build one for $1000, which is a lot but given that a normal hitch install on a normal car is going to run $300 or so itís not too far out of bed. Driving into your garage once could easily do more damage than the cost delta ($600).

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
    Tork Lift will build one for $1000
    That's a lot of beans, but maybe worth it if you're keeping the car for a long time...

Not sure what Tork Lift is offering, but if you're going custom, is an off center hitch an option?

Off Center receiver bike rack

Maybe also contact Cal about his apparently forthcoming Quik-rack hatch rack if you can wait. I don't see the note on his website at the moment, but it was there for awhile.

https://www.quikrack.com/products/
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    They put it up on the rack, and showed me some of the challenges. Itís more than just the center exhaust, the whole underside is quite a bit different. So, an offset hitch or a center one would cost about the same amount.

I need to get into the hatch so anything that hangs off the back wouldnít work for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I was in the same boat as you 4-5 years ago...

I tried the hidden hitch route 'cause it was "cool." Too bad my bike + rack flopped around almost constantly. Bumper is definitely not designed for 50 cantilevered lb bouncing around.

For the last 75k miles I've used my modded Curt GTI hitch, only mod was changing the height of the subframe arms/plates of the hitch. So amazing! I've driven all over with both of our bikes with no issue.

I couldn't find any underbody photos... but I uploaded a couple of both setups.

https://imgur.com/a/8Rwab

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzman220 View Post
    I was in the same boat as you 4-5 years ago...

I tried the hidden hitch route 'cause it was "cool." Too bad my bike + rack flopped around almost constantly. Bumper is definitely not designed for 50 cantilevered lb bouncing around.

For the last 75k miles I've used my modded Curt GTI hitch, only mod was changing the height of the subframe arms/plates of the hitch. So amazing! I've driven all over with both of our bikes with no issue.

I couldn't find any underbody photos... but I uploaded a couple of both setups.

https://imgur.com/a/8Rwab
    Can you explain a bit more how you modded the curt hitch? Was there any modding that needed to be done to the car itself? Pictures would be super helpful - Iíve never installed a hitch before, and trying to grasp the modifications necessary to adapt a gti hitch to my 2012 Golf R.

Co Springs
    In one of the photos, you can see the hitch is lower than the exhaust so it appears as he said, changing the height which may have been extending the mount point so it sets just low enough to not obstruct the center exhaust.

I'll bet if you can copy that photo and show a hitch retailer/installer, they'll see how to duplicate it. Curt is a very popular hitch and I'll bet you come in well under that $1000 custom set up. I was around $270 P/L with a Curt for my '17 SportWagen.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'