mtbr member

Thule xtr(T2 Classic) modifications

I found a xtr 4 bike rack off c list for $150. everything was in working order so I snagged it. Things i notice off the bat were
    -the nut on the inside of the receiver was gone so I drilled it out to accept a standard hitch pin.

-The length of the pice that attaches to the hitch places it way to close to the van and truck for it to fold up with out touching the car SO I am going to weld a 12" extension to it.

-I hate not having a handle on the back of the rack to help with raising and lowering it. So am thinking about trying to find a threaded handle to install top down through the rear of the rack. This would also prevent any of the crossmember from wiggling off and dumping a bike in the street.

-There has to be way to rig a cable up so you can pull the release lever from the back. Other though was to investigate the inner mechanism to see if a cable could be run from the inner mechanism through the center brace to be pulled from the back.

mtbr member
    -You can find aftermarket pins/springloaded nuts if interested. Snugging the rack down to the hitch does wonders for vibrations and rattles on bumpy roads.

-You can weld on an extension but a bolt on one may be an option. Lots of lengths available and you can even add rise or drop to the rack height.

-If you can't find a threaded handle there are also hitch-pins with handles that may work.

-mine is way old and does not have a quick release folding feature

mtbr member
    I drilled a tiny hole into the tilt lever, threaded a shifter cable into it and ran a housing along the spine to the back. On the back, I clamped on a steel ring to the cable. This allows activating the tilt lever from the rear.