mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Thule Canyon XT with bike mount?

I use a Thule Canyon cargo basket and would like to see if I could attach a bike mount to it - according to Thule CS they do not have something like that. I find that hard to believe.
    So anyone out there using a cargo basket and bike mount together?

edit: looks like this badass is utilizing his Yakima basket like that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Ahh my google skillz surprises me..

looks like I need crossbars for the basket.https://www.roofrackshack.com.au/pro...rossbars-8592/

mtbr member
    Looks like he mounted the front of the trays to the rearmost bar of the basket, and ran a single bar across the basket for the opposite end of the trays. I'm betting he used Yakima Boa mounts.

That route is not for everyone. You're not going to be able to carry much in the basket if you mount more than one bike. Would have to attach a cargo net to the floor, and it would probably need to be smaller than what you'd use with no bike up there. Probably a good place for the wheels, but if you need to carry things along with bikes up there, might be better to go with a roof box alongside bikes.

I modified a four bike rack I built to carry two bikes and a Thule Skybox. This summer I put two wheels, four tires, tool box, helmets, tire pump, water bottles, spare bike parts, four camp chairs, portable propane grill, double-burner camp stove, four sleeping pads, two air mattresses, sleeping bag, two tarps, eight person tent and rug for said tent in the skybox. With this and a cargo tray I was able to do two weeks camping with my wife and boys. Won't do it again (exceeded 5000lb in a 2003 Escape transiting Colorado mountain passes), but the roof box made it possible to leave my trailer home (wife refuses to pull it), and I way underestimated the space it has (being at the big end of the roof box scale, it doesn't appear roomy when closed). It was a lot easier to access and stow items than the cargo tray as you just pop the lid open or shut it.

Cargo baskets definitely have their place (large items), but putting more than one bike up there will defeat the purpose of having the basket, and mounting trays to crossbars rather than the basket will save you the cost of crossbars for the basket.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    Looks like he mounted the front of the trays to the rearmost bar of the basket, and ran a single bar across the basket for the opposite end of the trays. I'm betting he used Yakima Boa mounts.

That route is not for everyone. You're not going to be able to carry much in the basket if you mount more than one bike. Would have to attach a cargo net to the floor, and it would probably need to be smaller than what you'd use with no bike up there. Probably a good place for the wheels, but if you need to carry things along with bikes up there, might be better to go with a roof box alongside bikes.

I modified a four bike rack I built to carry two bikes and a Thule Skybox. This summer I put two wheels, four tires, tool box, helmets, tire pump, water bottles, spare bike parts, four camp chairs, portable propane grill, double-burner camp stove, four sleeping pads, two air mattresses, sleeping bag, two tarps, eight person tent and rug for said tent in the skybox. With this and a cargo tray I was able to do two weeks camping with my wife and boys. Won't do it again (exceeded 5000lb in a 2003 Escape transiting Colorado mountain passes), but the roof box made it possible to leave my trailer home (wife refuses to pull it), and I way underestimated the space it has (being at the big end of the roof box scale, it doesn't appear roomy when closed). It was a lot easier to access and stow items than the cargo tray as you just pop the lid open or shut it.

Cargo baskets definitely have their place (large items), but putting more than one bike up there will defeat the purpose of having the basket, and mounting trays to crossbars rather than the basket will save you the cost of crossbars for the basket.
    Thanks for chiming in.

We use the basket for my sons stroller and I could easily fit my bike up there next to it. I do have a Thule hitch setup but rather have something on the roof for now.

I will look into the Yakima Boa Mounts and see if I can use those.