mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Theft of bikes on racks, or theft of bike racks thread

Creating this thread as a public service to rack buyers. please share experience of your bike being stolen from your rack, or your rack being stolen.

I used a Yakima King Cobra with round bar roof rack from 2004-2015. Nothing stolen off it nor was rack or mounts stolen.

I now use a 1UpUSA hitch rack and so far neither bikes nor rack stolen.

For the Yakima I used that measly cable lock for bikes and the lock on the mounts. For 1UPUSA I use the bolt tag blocks access to the expansion bolt. I rarely use any lock on the bikes with the 1Up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Not my bike but just shows you how easy it is to take a bike from a locked rack.

mtbr member
    There's more videos about that particular model of rack... The lock really sucks.

I would never leave my bike locked to my rack unattended. If I'm on a day trip to ride, I park for lunch or whatever where I can see the bikes. At a hotel, bring them inside, always.

We have security in our work parking garage but I still don't bring my bike to work.. Honestly not only the threat of theft, but also just that someone would run into the hitch rack. It would stick out pretty far in a garage.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    as far as i know those locks aren't really there to protect it from thieves, more so to just lock the bike from falling off the rack during transit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSY_ View Post
    as far as i know those locks aren't really there to protect it from thieves, more so to just lock the bike from falling off the rack during transit
    Not really. The bike clamps on just fine without locking, the locks are anti-theft devices.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    if they are - I certainly wouldn't trust leaving my bike unattended on them.

I'd feel much more at peace with a kryptonite chain/ulock combo

mtbr member
    I wouldn't leave my bike unattended on a rack no matter what kind of lock it had on it, not happening.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PSY_ View Post
    if they are - I certainly wouldn't trust leaving my bike unattended on them.

I'd feel much more at peace with a kryptonite chain/ulock combo
    Those locks will not stop thieves, krypotonite chain/u-lock either. The rack locks are preventative, ie. stop casual thieves not pros or those seriously hankering to take your bike. That said I'm others on this, don't leave your stuff on the rack for too long, or else.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Those locks will not stop thieves, krypotonite chai wen/u-lock either. The rack locks are preventative, ie. stop casual thieves not pros or those seriously hankering to take your bike. That said I'm others on this, don't leave your stuff on the rack for too long, or else.
    I completely agree. Just saying if I absolutely had to leave it even just for a short period emergency I'd want those locks on it.

Hell I keep my bike in my big tent locked up beside me when I go camping hahaha

EAT MORE GRIME
    locks only keep honest people honest

---locks do zero to someone who wants that bike---
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I wouldn't leave my bike unattended on a rack no matter what kind of lock it had on it, not happening.
    Yep, my rule as well..no way! My rack stays on. I wouldn't enjoy a meal if my bike was just sitting there out of sight.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    I use a Thule platform bike rack with a screw bolt and a standard Thule lock.

I also bought an aftermarket rubber coated galvanized cable 15 feet long with two of the strongest key padlocks (10 rating) and attach one end with the lock to the receiver (things on the side for chains and stuff) wrapped around the wheel frame, and the back wheel too and then the other end to the other side of the tow hitch.

Good luck on stealing that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uncaged View Post
    I use a Thule platform bike rack with a screw bolt and a standard Thule lock.

I also bought an aftermarket rubber coated galvanized cable 15 feet long with two of the strongest key padlocks (10 rating) and attach one end with the lock to the receiver (things on the side for chains and stuff) wrapped around the wheel frame, and the back wheel too and then the other end to the other side of the tow hitch.

Good luck on stealing that.
    The cable would be the weak point, not the padlocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drag_slick View Post
    The cable would be the weak point, not the padlocks.

At first I was going to disagree with you but I looked it up and I see your point. It's not going to be that quick of a theft but I see the flaws in it.

The problems is the chains worth buying will scratch the bike, and if you leave it in the car they can break in.

In short nothing is perfect.

It's more of a deterrent than anything else. But good enough if you are driving around and you don't want someone to snag the bike off the rack while you are at a stop light; would require more effort than that.

Also, before I put my bike rack on I had to remove the step insert out of my tow-hitch but to do that I had to remove the Master Lock and it turned out the key area was so corroded that I couldn't get the key in. So I first tried drilling out the lock but still couldn't get it off. So I use my saw-zaw and chopped it into two pieces and that worked.

This is being done by someone that works on computers and not a car thief. So yeah no lock is ever 100% secure. Just use some common sense and the best "deterrents". That's all we really can do. Well there is one thing that I could do is get a big huge armed guard to protect the bike when I am not around. So unless they are willing to risk their lives that will work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Creating this thread as a public service to rack buyers. please share experience of your bike being stolen from your rack, or your rack being stolen.

I used a Yakima King Cobra with round bar roof rack from 2004-2015. Nothing stolen off it nor was rack or mounts stolen.

I now use a 1UpUSA hitch rack and so far neither bikes nor rack stolen.

For the Yakima I used that measly cable lock for bikes and the lock on the mounts. For 1UPUSA I use the bolt tag blocks access to the expansion bolt. I rarely use any lock on the bikes with the 1Up.

So, so far, no one has their bike or rack stolen, just all the things you do to prevent it.

I have never had my bike or rack stolen. I know no one who has and I've been actively riding for 20 years with people who have bike racks also. I have left my bike on my rack, locked at work for 8+ hours. I live in the suburbs. I have insurance if needed.
    Last edited by Rock; 08-10-2018 at 04:08 AM.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    So, so far, no one has their bike or rack stolen, just all the things you do to prevent it.

I have never had my bike or rack stolen. I know no one how has and I've been actively riding for 20 years with people how have bike racks also. I have left my bike on my rack, locked at work for 8+ hours. I live in the suburbs. I have insurance if needed.
    I was hoping someone would make this observation--thank you.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

I have never had my bike or rack stolen. I know no one who has and I've been actively riding for 20 years with people who have bike racks also. I have left my bike on my rack, locked at work for 8+ hours. I live in the suburbs. I have insurance if needed.
    Good for you. You on any cycling groups on Facebook? Seems like someone is posting about a bike getting stolen off a car rack every other day. Guy got his Bronson stolen off his rack right behind his business in cherry hill nj last week. Dude just walked up and calmly cut the cable locks and rode away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Good for you. You on any cycling groups on Facebook? Seems like someone is posting about a bike getting stolen off a car rack every other day. Guy got his Bronson stolen off his rack right behind his business in cherry hill nj last week. Dude just walked up and calmly cut the cable locks and rode away.
    OK, there's one. Some guy in New Jersey that you don't know. Should I retract my statement? I still have never known anybody personally who has had a bike or rack stolen off their car in 20+years of bike and racks on cars. Ever.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    OK, there's one. Some guy in New Jersey that you don't know. Should I retract my statement? I still have never known anybody personally who has had a bike or rack stolen off their car in 20+years of bike and racks on cars. Ever.
    Why are you in this thread if it doesn't concern you?

beater
    Friend of mine had his Recon 5 stolen off the back of his 4Runner a few weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I had my new bike stolen off a locked roof rack in January of 2017 in Salt Lake City of all places. It was a Rocky Mounts setup. Left it for a few minutes and boom. Gone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoogleNinja View Post
    I had my new bike stolen off a locked roof rack in January of 2017 in Salt Lake City of all places.
    That's Mormons for you, just can't resist a bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    lol, that's what I thought!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Friend of mine had his Recon 5 stolen off the back of his 4Runner a few weeks ago.
    Update- itís been reunited. Another friend of mine bought it for $150 from a FB classified ad. Guess methheads donít have Google. They didnít even take the tell-tale stickers off it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I looked for mine on all the possible places to sell it for more than a year. No luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoogleNinja View Post
    I had my new bike stolen off a locked roof rack in January of 2017 in Salt Lake City of all places.
    Closest I've ever come to being mugged was in Salt Lake City. Land of Donny and Marie Osmond, my ass.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Update- itís been reunited. Another friend of mine bought it for $150 from a FB classified ad. Guess methheads donít have Google. They didnít even take the tell-tale stickers off it.
    no way! thatís awesomeóI think? sad statement about thief.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    no way! thatís awesomeóI think? sad statement about thief.

If theyíd priced it at $800 he wouldnít have thought it was stolen (aside from the shady guys who didnít seem to be mountain bikers). Glad it worked out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have a swagman racks with a locking hitch pin, and I use 2 coated braided cables which lock to the locking hitch pin. the frame and both wheels are locked. If I stop for a bite to eat after a ride I make sure to park where I can see my vehicle at all times.
    In short, if someone wants it bad enough they will do whatever they need to get it.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    This video is years old and Thule has since updated that rack to help prevent/slow down theft. That said locks in general keep honest people honest and are only a deterrent. I agree with ColinL, I never leave my bike unattended even while locked and bring them inside with me whenever I can.

> 55
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post

I use something similar to the above with a heavy duty lock for the past two years. The chain and locks are not cheap and they are heavy. These types of chains can be cut with a wheel grinder, but that is very noisy and takes a bit of time.

https://www.1st-chainsupply.com/chai...-1-2/index.htm

Also, here is cool video about locks and chains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIgwgzVusxY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S4gwYHZ6E8

Oh, and I use a 6 bike north shore rack....bikes and rack are locked around the under carriage of the vehicle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've just fitted roof racks and a Thule Proride 598. No way am I trusting that lock, the rack is purely for home->trails->home trips. If it's a long trip and/or a need for stops with the car out of sight then I'll be putting the rear seats down, taking the wheels off the bike and putting it inside the car. The rack is for convenience of my regular rides.

What do people with the Proride (or similar) racks do about the wheel track/pad things that can slide off the end? Leave them on all of the time? When I bought the carrier I didn't realise how easily they slid off, and I really don't want them being knocked off. Is it a common problem?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post
    What do people with the Proride racks do about the wheel track/pad things that can slide off the end?
    Is there no end-stop or something? If not I guess a few wraps of tape or something would stop them sliding off. I certainly wouldn't be removing them all the time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    There are end-stops, however they just unclip by hand - they'll prevent the trays/cradles sliding off while driving, but not somebody who feels that they want them more than I do. I think I'll just remove them for now (it probably takes about 30s to put them back on).

mtbr member
    There are end-stops, however they just unclip by hand - they'll prevent the trays/cradles sliding off while driving, but not somebody who feels that they want them more than I do.
    I think it's unlikely that someone will steal the bits off your rack. It's possible but I reckon any thief would steal the whole rack if anything.

since 4/10/2009
    I met a guy once whose hitch rack was cut off of his vehicle with a battery-powered reciprocating saw while he watched from inside McD's. Two bikes were on it, and not even locked. Was quicker to cut the rack mast. The rack was one of those hanging-style with a single central vertical mast. Gone in seconds.

Also, my wife's boss broke his arm after confronting thieves attempting to steal a couple of mtb's from the back of his pickup truck.

I personally take some steps against theft with locks and cables and such. Haven't had any issues yet, but as soon as a pro with the right tools takes an interest, I know that nothing I do will stop them. That's what insurance is for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    ..as soon as a pro with the right tools takes an interest, I know that nothing I do will stop them.
    You could shoot them?

mtbr member
    I've just fitted roof racks and a Thule Proride 598. No way am I trusting that lock, the rack is purely for home->trails->home trips. If it's a long trip and/or a need for stops with the car out of sight then I'll be putting the rear seats down, taking the wheels off the bike and putting it inside the car. The rack is for convenience of my regular rides.

What do people with the Proride (or similar) racks do about the wheel track/pad things that can slide off the end? Leave them on all of the time? When I bought the carrier I didn't realise how easily they slid off, and I really don't want them being knocked off. Is it a common problem?
    Not sure what you're on about? Usually there is no way the rear wheel tray can slide past the endcap, and regardless, a thief can simply unclick or cut the plastic strap anyways. My Yakima rack locks to the cross bar, and has a built in cable lock that extends from the rear around the rear frame. Then up front, there is a welded loop where a U-Bolt lock can both through the front tire and frame to the rack. Also having an alarm on your car is helpful, as thieves would have to be leaning and thus shaking the car to gain access to a roof rack. The loud alarm alone would deter most.

Theft of bikes on racks, or theft of bike racks thread-highroad_8_mtb_tire.1531842116.jpg
    Theft of bikes on racks, or theft of bike racks thread-highroad_10_tailwhip.1531842116.jpg
    Theft of bikes on racks, or theft of bike racks thread-highroad_3_3-4.1531842115.jpg
    Theft of bikes on racks, or theft of bike racks thread-screen-shot-2018-10-14-1.08.30-pm.jpg

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    https://blog.letsgoaero.com/the-rv-blues

Anyone try one of these.