Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 1,001 to 1,070 of 1070
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Kind of wondering how many of you have the manual? I am looking at the Forester with the 6sp. I don't like the interior as much as the XV. But I have to commute an hour each way every day and the speed limit is 75. The lack of a 6th gear makes me think its going to get crappy MPGs.
    I have a manual and enjoy using it. A 6sp would indeed be nice for highway cruising but I get by without it. My mpg is in the high 20's, mostly highway driving.
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I can provide some insight on the crosstrek versus the 2015+ outbacks as well as a comparison to the 2002-2007 wrx's and the 2008-2009 outback xt's. I started my subaru ownership with a 2003 wrx wagon, modded it to a 'stage 2' tune and basically turned it into a street legal race car that handled the corners great but was lucky to get 18-20 mpg at 21 psi of boost. The turbo started leaking at the seals around 125k, but no major failures beyond that. I did 100% of the work myself.
    I owned that car for 5 years until I foolishly sold it, it still runs great.

I flew down to Texas to pick up the unicorn car I searched for for 1.5 years, a 5 speed 2009 outback xt. It was a texas car its entire life...at least I thought so...9 months after I bough it and drove it 20k the car stopped accelerating on a 500mile road trip. First time a subaru left me on the side of the road. The vf40 turbo shaft broke at highway speeds and I bought a vf-52 to replace it and within the first 30 miles a rod bearing spun. I replaced the oil cooler and all associated parts, but I'm assuming there was a fragment or particle from the broken turbo shaft that made it's way into the rod bearings before I could get the engine off, thus destroying the entire bottom end. $5,000 later and a $2500 re-enbursement from the dealer I bought it from (I didn't purchase a warranty from them and they were kind enough to help me out on the repair) I had the car inspected and it turns out the transmission was previously worked on and the rear driveshaft had been worked on as well. I assume the car was possibly modded at one point or driven very hard. I traded this in on a 2014 crosstrek premium. A few months later the buyer somehow contacted me and explained that the heads on the xt had burnt up a few valves, he purchased an extended warranty and had it relaced to the tune of $3500. I was glad I got rid of the car.

Fast forward two and a half years ago, I buy the crosstrek for 21k with 7k on the odometer. A previous rental car from Colorado I was in love with the looks of it, but the interior left much to be desired. Hard plastics and minimal at best.

I drove the car with zero issues up to 51k and tons of road trips for racing and camping. I found a buyer for my car and a private owner who had a 2015 outback premium for sale for 20k with only 39k on the odometer. I was sold instantly, the car had only 30hp more than the crosstrek but felt much more powerful. The interior and auto climate control were leaps and bounds ahead of the XV and the cargo space was fantastic. Front seat room was also great and being 6'2" I always felt a bit cramped int he XV. The outback also has power seats and nicer options like the projector headlights and infotainment system, led tail lights, better suspension, higher towing capacity and overall a more refined feel to it. I would say for 9 out of 10 to go with the outback

western NC
    Picked up a '17 limited on Friday, had the windows done yesterday, logged right at 300 miles so far and couldn't be happier!!

Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Kind of wondering how many of you have the manual? I am looking at the Forester with the 6sp. I don't like the interior as much as the XV. But I have to commute an hour each way every day and the speed limit is 75. The lack of a 6th gear makes me think its going to get crappy MPGs.
    ex-gf had the cvt, i got a manual. i honestly like the cvt better.

the manual's a little more fun for tight mtn road driving, but the cvt seems to make it run at lower rpms overall (don't need as much gas pedal to get the same oomf), definitely runs lower rpms at highway speeds and is obviously smoother around town.

Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    How does the addition of the sunroof decrease clearance? I would think the opposite. I had a sunroof in my old Subaru Outback and it didn't decrease headroom at all.
    the sunroof mechanism/motor drops down into the car, so they lower the headliner across the whole thing a few inches to accommodate it.

i'm 6'5 and think the non-sunroof XV has plenty of room, both headspace and leg room.

had a '14 ram 2500 (with sunroof) and my head would touch the ceiling if i sat perfectly straight up.

western NC
    Just a little update; I'm just over 500 miles on the clock now, display shows 33mpg average pulling the mountain to the office and back. And while it's no powerhouse, some of the reports in here had me really worried. But I'm happy to say the power is perfectly adequate for my needs. Still very happy with my purchase.

mtbr member
    display is bs,set your odometer at fillup and do the math for an accurate figure.

western NC
    I'm going to do that as well, then adjust the display accordingly.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    the sunroof mechanism/motor drops down into the car, so they lower the headliner across the whole thing a few inches to accommodate it.

i'm 6'5 and think the non-sunroof XV has plenty of room, both headspace and leg room.

had a '14 ram 2500 (with sunroof) and my head would touch the ceiling if i sat perfectly straight up.
    No. I read your post and looked at my car with the sunroof. Where the sunroof is itself, it's the same height as a regular roof. Yes, it does have lower parts but not over where your head is.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyoffroad View Post
    display is bs,set your odometer at fillup and do the math for an accurate figure.
    I've found it pretty accurate on all my vehicles.

western NC
    Today's "office", coms gear on top of Joanna Bald

Sweetwater Gap

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Today's "office", coms gear on top of Joanna Bald

Sweetwater Gap

Name:  chglq.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  57.3 KB

western NC
    LOL, dammit, I always forget that MTBR doesn't support Imgur.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Subaru XV Crosstrek-img_0113-large-.jpg  

Subaru XV Crosstrek-img_0122-large-.jpg  

Subaru XV Crosstrek-img_0132-large-.jpg  

western NC
    Got to drive it in the snow for the first time today. I've owned a number of 4WD rigs over the years, and I'm highly impressed with the Subie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Subaru XV Crosstrek-fullsizerender-2-medium-.jpg  

mtbr member
    What do you guys think about the Imprezza hatch? I'm shopping cars right now and I keep going back to one of those. From the internet the back seats look big enough for two car seats but I haven't actually tried to put them in one yet. From the various SUV's I've owned I'll have something lying around that will get a bike on the roof.
    Last edited by carthief; 01-08-2017 at 03:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Have a 2013 Impreza hatch sport premium as my daily driver. I shopped both the Mazda3 and Ford Focus. The deciding factor for me was the Impreza back seat room and access was better. Don't know about car seats b/c my kids were out of car seats when I bought it. The only negative for me (and it's a minor one) is how low it is to the ground. Getting in and out when I'm sore is when I notice it. Although, that is a plus for putting bikes on roof rack. The 2017 is a bit lower and roomier. If I were to get another it'd be a Crosstrek. However, this car is fun to drive, reliable, solid in the snow and gets decent mpg for an awd.

mtbr member
    That's good info, thanks! At my price point I'm looking at used crosstrek, new Impreza or used legacy. The foresters and outbacks go for crazy money around here.

Your Best Friend
    All Subarus have high resale value. One of the perks.

Quote Originally Posted by carthief View Post
    That's good info, thanks! At my price point I'm looking at used crosstrek, new Impreza or used legacy. The foresters and outbacks go for crazy money around here.
    Isn't a base Forester maybe a couple grand more than the Impreza? Looks like people are paying around $22-23k for a Forester around here. You may even be able to get a better deal than that for a 2016 left over right now. I've got 2 kids in an Outback. Room is adequate. A neighbor had a 2010 Impreza with 2 kids in car seats, and they fit fine in the back. But cargo room was a bit lacking with the two kids on trips.

western NC
    More like 4k difference in base price. The Forester starts out higher priced than the Crosstrek by about $1k.

More like 4k difference in base price. The Forester starts out higher priced than the Crosstrek by about $1k.
    Base price is one thing, but actual sales price may be closer. According to truecar anyway. Remember different models have unique incentives/rebates from the company/dealer.

western NC
    Excellent point. I know at least in this area, Subies are extremely popular, and the more popular the model the closer to MSRP you're going to pay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Considering getting a 2017 impreza hatchback or crosstrek. Anybody know what the current IMBA discount is - invoice, invoice less 2%?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Check out Costco..... They have a large program for buying cars through them.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by carthief View Post
    What do you guys think about the Imprezza hatch? I'm shopping cars right now and I keep going back to one of those. From the internet the back seats look big enough for two car seats but I haven't actually tried to put them in one yet. From the various SUV's I've owned I'll have something lying around that will get a bike on the roof.
    We have twin 1yr old boys. The back seat fit their infant seats (Chico) and now their toddler (Diono) seats just fine. They also fit the Forester as we have one of those too.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    So are these XV's roomy enough to put a bike in the back with the rear seats folded down? I searched through several pages of this thread but all I saw were bike racks.

I have a couple of buddies with Outbacks and I've been eyeing them but like the compactness of the Crosstrek.

Cycologist
    I don't own one but I don't think so. I have a '06 Forester and I'm short enough that I can get any of my bikes in back, but not with much room left. I've compared my dims with the XV and it looks like it is too short. Probably a deal breaker for me.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

western NC
    My XL Fuel EX 9 fits just fine with the front wheel removed.

mtbr member
    large El mar with front wheel off fits fine.

Cycologist
    Yeah, I should have specified that I was talking about with front wheel on. I hate taking my front wheel off, but when it comes time for a new car, I should reconsider. I'm hoping my Forester will make it over 200,000, I'm at 165,000 now so that will be a few more years.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

western NC
    Well, at least for me at my frame size, a vehicle that could haul the bike fully assembled would be a much larger vehicle and thus get worse mileage. It only takes me 30 seconds to remove or replace my front wheel, and I have a hitch rack as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well, at least for me at my frame size, a vehicle that could haul the bike fully assembled would be a much larger vehicle and thus get worse mileage. It only takes me 30 seconds to remove or replace my front wheel, and I have a hitch rack as well.
    +1 to the hitch rack solution. Easy to mount, can carry multiple bikes, and leaves space inside for other stuff.

western NC
    Yep, gears bags, camelback, etc go in the car. And I don't have to worry about all the crud from my ride falling off the bike on the road trip home, and the subsequent cleanup.

I don't know of any car that size that could swallow a MTB with the front wheel on. You're looking at a minivan/Transit, or full-size van.

I think HRV probably comes close, but I doubt it would fit in there, either.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I don't know of any car that size that could swallow a MTB with the front wheel on. You're looking at a minivan/Transit, or full-size van.

I think HRV probably comes close, but I doubt it would fit in there, either.
    See my original post above, I get my MTB with front wheel on in the back of my 2006 Forester. I'm only about 5'-9" with shortish legs so it won't work for all. I also have two roof racks. I have a 5x7 tarp to put down if the bike gets really dirty.

Good to know. I could've sworn I tried it in my Outback and didn't fit ('13). But that was years ago, and have been using a hitch rack ever since.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Good to know. I could've sworn I tried it in my Outback and didn't fit ('13). But that was years ago, and have been using a hitch rack ever since.
    My Kona Wo (fat bike, large frame, Bud and Lou) fits with no problems with the front wheels on in an '05 Outback, which is probably closer in size to the current Crosstrek than a newer Outback.

Quote Originally Posted by Tillers_Rule View Post
    So are these XV's roomy enough to put a bike in the back with the rear seats folded down? I searched through several pages of this thread but all I saw were bike racks.

I have a couple of buddies with Outbacks and I've been eyeing them but like the compactness of the Crosstrek.
    I've put my XL road & mtb in the back without issue, taking off the front wheel, of course. Have a rack now though, much more convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Utard View Post
    Considering getting a 2017 impreza hatchback or crosstrek. Anybody know what the current IMBA discount is - invoice, invoice less 2%?
    Aren't they basically the same car (engine, interior, body style), aside from suspension?

Unless you're using it exclusively in the city, not sure why you'd go Impreza.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Utard View Post
    Imba gave me the "retailers invoice price". Car dealer said it was better than Costco deal and that True Car price had the least discount.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I have a 2014 XV that I have been ripping for a couple years. Up to 55k miles in 2.5 years. I have been using a Thule square bars system on the crossroads. I just bought a frontloader and used it on a 30ish pound stumpy and it was great. I found a good deal on CL and was thinking about picking up another. My question is can I put a 43 pound bike on a frontloader for a long trip? What is the weak point of my setup? My crossroads were used and are likely pretty old but show not sign of damage. I have put large canoes, jon boats and kayaks up there for long highway trips with no problems. I was thinking I would use a few extra clamps and a ratchet straps to the runner bar from the frame. I am just worried about causing an accident and losing my DH bike. Its a 2008 Giant Glory 0. The weight capacity of the front loader is 40lbs and I am setup much wider than the 18" required spread.

mtbr member
    Ive got a 17 forester base 6pd. The lie o meter says 27 for lifetime mpg with 7000 miles on it(this includes winter with snow tires, idling in drive throughs etc). It'll show 33-34 on my 20 mile commute if I set the cruise at 60. Faster more aggressive driving will be more like 30. Ive found that to be optimistic by 1 or 2 mpg. I find it to be very quiet, handles great and the 177hp is enough if you get it in the right gear. The 6 gears still seems like too many, I often skip gears. It's only rated to tow 1500 braked but I've towed almost twice that for short distances and it was fine. I wouldnt go on a roadtrip at that weight though.

I never considered the crosstek because it was too small. I never considered the outback because I wanted a manual, they'll probably all be extinct in ten years.

It's a great grocery getter.

Subaru XV Crosstrek-wp_20170410_10_51_24_pro.jpg
    Minneapolis, MN
    Save the river bottoms

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits View Post

I never considered the crosstek because it was too small. I never considered the outback because I wanted a manual, they'll probably all be extinct in ten years.

Less than that, only 3% of cars made now are manual. Trend is for cars with a lot more gears to give small engines better performance.

The disappearing stick shift: Less than 3% of cars sold in the U.S. have manual transmissions - LA Times

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillers_Rule View Post

I doubt a bike would fit in the back of the crosstrek. I managed to fit my 700c hybrid thing in my Forester but it was tight jamming it in. I have since bought a bike carrier.

The forester has slightly less cargo room than my '02 S10 Blazer this replaced.
    Minneapolis, MN
    Save the river bottoms

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Less than that, only 3% of cars made now are manual. Trend is for cars with a lot more gears to give small engines better performance.

The disappearing stick shift: Less than 3% of cars sold in the U.S. have manual transmissions - LA Times

J.
    Sounds about right. There were only two new manual Foresters in the entire Minneapolis metro area when I was ready to buy. Kinda made it hard to haggle with the selection so slim.
    Minneapolis, MN
    Save the river bottoms

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone considering the 18 Cross trek? More leg and cargo room and bit more horsepower. New body style too.

mtbr member
    I have a 2015 Crosstrek and 2017 Forester. I like driving the Forester much more, better ride and more power. I think the Forester has better highway manners, it doesn't get pushed around and wonder as much. I also like how big the feel on the inside. I was able to fit my bike in the back of the Crosstrek with both seats folded down and the front tire off, but still a tight fit. Haven't tried in the Forester yet, but with the extra length and height I bet I could do it without taking the wheel off. Might even be able to do it with only one seat folded down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    MDRex, how does real world gas mileage compare between the 2? I got a 2014 crosstrek. Considering a 2018 crosstrek/forester or might just end up keeping my crosstrek to avoid having constant car payments.

mtbr member
    The Forester seems to be about 2-3 MPG less.

mtbr member
    Actually, my mileage difference is probably more like 3-5 depending on how I drive. I like the extra power of the Forester, so I've been using the go pedal more than I would in the Crosstrek.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRex View Post
    Actually, my mileage difference is probably more like 3-5 depending on how I drive. I like the extra power of the Forester, so I've been using the go pedal more than I would in the Crosstrek.
    Gotcha. Yeah not sure what I am gonna do for getting new car. I do like the idea of no car payments and just keeping the crosstrek another 100k. My only complaints with the crosstrek is somewhat harsh ride, noisy cab, warranty issues (wheel bearings), and power. Im at about 7200ft. I was thinking about putting an air intake system on it to boost power a tad and mpg.

Your Best Friend
    You don't buy an XV for the power. You go into buying one knowing that power is not one of the things you'll have in spades.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    You won't get any power or MPG gains from an intake on the Crosstrek. At that altitude you should get a turbo car, they make much better power at high altitudes than naturally aspirated cars.

Power is one of the things you won't have at all. I'd find a 2011-2014 WRX hatch. About the same room inside and MUCH more power.

mtbr member
    The Forester also looks like a vehicle my 80+ year old mother should be driving. The Crosstrek actually looks pretty decent. I'm looking to get a 2018 Limited when they come out. If Silent Foe has one, I know I can get up to Gooseberry and Guacamole.
    2017 Pivot 5.5
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    May 2013
    We picked up our first Subaru in October, bought a 17 Outback Limited 3.6. Was a great car, averaged around 25 Mpg (Knew that going into it) and had gobs of power. A simple sway bar upgrade really changed how the car cornered as well.

I was able to put my Step-sons bike inside the car with three of us, plus tools and gear for decent road trip to a IMBA Epic a few hours away. We did later move that bike to a roof rack however for longer trips.

Used a Saris Superclamp with a 2" curt reciever I picked up for $120-130. My wife rides a XS to my XL.

So the next part is the rest of what makes Subaru something else. A month ago, we took a trip to southern Arkansas, heading to Womble and LOVIT trails. While doing 55 or so on a windy highway, I had a 79 F-150 roll out in front of me, no time to do anything but hit the brake then him.

I hit him so hard, it spun both of us 360, sending him 70 feet into a ditch. We came out with a single bruise. The car called 911 as soon as we impacted, before my wife was able to get out of the car, an Ambulance and the fire department had arrived. We didn't have any idea where this had happened, so the car took that burden away as well.

Take a good look at his toolbox.

Sadly our bikes also became a casualty during the spinning..

In either of our other two vehicles, that would have been a really bad wreck. Also this should bring home the message, have good insurance! The guy that hit us didn't have any. Thankfully my insurance covered everything, however part of it had to go onto our homeowners policy. If you have expensive bikes, make sure they're covered. We pay an extra $100 a year for a zero dollar deductible that covers any sporting goods.

Sadly the car was nine months old, 22,000 miles on it. It's now totaled. A new Outback is high on our list, we're also waiting to see what comes from the new three row.

mtbr member
    We are on our 8th and 9th Subarus. Their safety is a major reason I keep buying them. I've seen rollovers that result in zero injuries in these cars. I've also seen how hard it is to crush the passenger compartment due to their high strength ring design and reinforced hardened pillars.

mtbr member
    I can't believe the bike in the roof rack stayed put. Impressive.
    One gear for all, 'cus one is all you need.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRex View Post
    We are on our 8th and 9th Subarus. Their safety is a major reason I keep buying them. I've seen rollovers that result in zero injuries in these cars. I've also seen how hard it is to crush the passenger compartment due to their high strength ring design and reinforced hardened pillars.
    The impact wasn't bad at all for us. I didn't even get hit by the airbag. In the steering wheel. The car absorbed it incredibly well.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I can't believe the bike in the roof rack stayed put. Impressive.
    I had that same thought lol. It's a Yakima Raptor Aero, clamps onto the frame, then the wheels get strapped in. I tossed a strap on it to keep it from going back and forth for the long trip as well. I'm really surprised that bike didn't become a projectile.. It's my Stepson's Cannondale Cujo 27+, weighs right around 40lbs.

mtbr member
    I like those 3.6 outbacks, I was thinking about doing the rear swaybar on my forester. Either that or the stiffer springs, I have aspirations of towing a scamp camper but it would be the limit of my rated capacity.
    Minneapolis, MN
    Save the river bottoms

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    The Forester also looks like a vehicle my 80+ year old mother should be driving. The Crosstrek actually looks pretty decent. I'm looking to get a 2018 Limited when they come out. If Silent Foe has one, I know I can get up to Gooseberry and Guacamole.
    The 2018 looks nice with the LED lights and a little more HP. Just don't plan on buying an Eco-Hitch for it. The new bumper covers don't have a cutout for them so it's back to the stock low clearance hitches.
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

Your Best Friend
    Kind of a misnomer to call it a "low clearance hitch". It doesn't change ground clearance at all. It does change your departure angle but only slightly. If anything, it protects your rear bumper from damage as you roll out of a major ditch. People need to face the fact that the XV is not a car you go wheeling in, and if you are, you bought the wrong car. It's for slightly rough dirt roads. A hitch isn't going to change that ability.

mtbr member
    What do you mean it doesn't change the ground clearance? The stock Subaru hitches are at least 4" lower. If you roll out of a ditch sure it might protect the bumper cover but your bike rack will surely be scraping the ground. I've pulled out of so many low spots that would have definitely scraped the hitch or bike rack if I didn't have an Eco-Hitch.
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Cop View Post
    What do you mean it doesn't change the ground clearance? The stock Subaru hitches are at least 4" lower. If you roll out of a ditch sure it might protect the bumper cover but your bike rack will surely be scraping the ground. I've pulled out of so many low spots that would have definitely scraped the hitch or bike rack if I didn't have an Eco-Hitch.
    Admittedly, that Eco-hitch (which I had never heard of) looks very clean. I read that Thule recommends that you do NOT use the Subaru sold hitch with their racks because they drilled the hole to secure the rack to close to the opening. I would prefer the cleaner look but I had a hitch mounted below my bumper on a Hyundai Elantra and need had an issue scraping it. It was a few inches lower than the Crosstrek so I should be okay for the most part.
    2017 Pivot 5.5
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    People need to face the fact that the XV is not a car you go wheeling in, and if you are, you bought the wrong car.
    https://youtu.be/1aUyl2ye0Hg?t=69

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Cop View Post
    Ah, you said stock. I missed that. I use a curt hitch. It's 2" lower.

mtbr member
    If you have you spend five grand to your four door station wagon just so you can drag it up a hill with a winch without it falling apart I think you bought the wrong car.
    Minneapolis, MN
    Save the river bottoms

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If you have you spend five grand to your four door station wagon just so you can drag it up a hill with a winch without it falling apart I think you bought the wrong car.
    it got him quite a bit of fame, though now he's gone to a Tacoma lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq6FPFpDkWE

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, I think he's on expedition forum.
    Minneapolis, MN
    Save the river bottoms

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Oh yeah, I think he's on expedition forum.
    Yep, and around 10-20 more..

Your Best Friend
    That guy's an idiot.

- oh look, a rock stopped my car. Let's dig out the rock.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Members who have read this thread: 159