Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 1070
    Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Seems like most people only put 2 bikes on the back of these. How do they do with 4 bikes on the hitch, 4 riders and a full cargo area. My wife had a CRV that was pretty unmanageable in that configuration. It was like herding cats going down the freeway at 70.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears32 View Post
    Crosstrek owners! Are any of you golfers as well? I was wondering if you can fit 1 or 2 sets of golf clubs in the back without lowering the back seats.
    Just got back from the range. I'm sure another set or 2 can fit.

2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I only do 2 bikes on the back, since that is what my rack holds. However, I have run with another two on the roof, three adults, a toddler, and a severe propensity to overpack for vacation (ie,we were filled to the brim in the back). It handled fine. I would be hesitant to stick tons of weight on the hitch (3 bikes max? 4?), although it sits closer to the rear axle than a CRV hitch, so you are probably coming out ahead there. Also, you would need to watch your rear tire pressure; Subarus can handle a bit weird if the tire pressures get out of wack, as the AWD can make the rear end walk around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunalic View Post
    Just got back from the range. I'm sure another set or 2 can fit.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I think I am going to head a few dealers next weekend and hopefully buy a Crosstrek. But I know very little about hitches which I just want it just for a bike rack. What's my best option? Get a hitch from the dealer? Where else do I get hitches? What should I get?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Torklift makes a 2" hitch that goes through the knockout in the rear bumper.(pretty cool)
    The factory hitch is 1 1/4"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kliemann53 View Post
    Torklift makes a 2" hitch that goes through the knockout in the rear bumper.(pretty cool)
    The factory hitch is 1 1/4"
    Thanks. Is there a preferred size?

I'd prefer something that isnt too expensive.

Also what racks do people have? I'm leaning towards the 1up rack. I like how it doesnt seem to stick out too far but am open to suggestions.

mtbr member
    1 1/4" can only hold 2 bikes, 2" can hold 4

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears32 View Post
    Thanks. Is there a preferred size?

I'd prefer something that isnt too expensive.

Also what racks do people have? I'm leaning towards the 1up rack. I like how it doesnt seem to stick out too far but am open to suggestions.
    Dealer is the most expensive. 500-700 for a 1-1/4 that hangs below bumper.

EcoHitch is the next at around $250 for a 2" that utilizes the knockout panel to have an integrated hidden hitch.

Curt/uhaul is the least expensive for $105-150 for a 1-1/4 that hangs below bumper like dealer option.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I bought a Curt 2-inch hitch from UHaul the day I brought my XV home and had it installed with hand tools in 30 minutes. I leave my 1Up installed all the time, so the extra expense and install complexity of the Torklift wasn't needed in my case. Whatever you choose, get a 2-inch hitch.

Hauling capacity? Not sure how comfy four adult males with riding gear and four bikes would be. I'd definitely do two hitch and two roof in that configuration.

I will say, I just went on vacation with me (180), my wife (105) and 200 pounds worth of American bulldogs, plus all our stuff, all my riding gear and tools and two bikes (one hitch, one roof). Drove up to 5,500 elevation from Phx and the car did great; plenty of room.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    CURT 13135 Class 3 Trailer Hitch with 2" Receiver Tube https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AN2L0TU..._gTc7vbH68FWCH

I got this one. Not as clean looking as the Ecohitch but it's half the price and easier to get at the hitch pin. I take my rack off and on all the time to swap it between the XV and the Jeep.

mtbr member
    The dealer hitch doesn't go under the bumper, they cut a notch in the bumper so you don't lose any ground clearance, and its covered by the Subaru warranty.
    If I had it all to do over I'd probably get the Torklift eco hitch then have the dealer do the wire harness.
    If you put bikes on the roof don't get the aero bars, they have round ones like(I think they are) Yakama. read the "WTF Subaru" thread, that was me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the replies. So the Curt hitch extends below a bit? Is it a big deal? I live in an apartment so can't really install it there and have no mechanical aptitude. Is my best route buy it on amazon and then find a place to install? It's like twice as expensive through Curt online.

mtbr member
    I can post a picture with the Curt hitch installed a little later. It doesn't look as bad in person as it did in my head before installing it. Price and access to the hitch pin is what kept me away from the EcoHitch. Living in an apartment with little to no mechanical abilities, I would head over to Uhaul and let them do it. It should look the same as the Curt. Make sure to tell them you do not need or want the wiring harness installed and that may save you a few bucks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    I can post a picture with the Curt hitch installed a little later. It doesn't look as bad in person as it did in my head before installing it. Price and access to the hitch pin is what kept me away from the EcoHitch. Living in an apartment with little to no mechanical abilities, I would head over to Uhaul and let them do it. It should look the same as the Curt. Make sure to tell them you do not need or want the wiring harness installed and that may save you a few bucks.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yep, Uhaul makes it easy for you.

Your Best Friend

This is your ground clearance with the Curt. Imo it's the best way to go. It doesn't take away any ground clearance. The only thing it affects is your departure angle and if anything, it protects your rear bumper from impact with the ground. If you are off roading your XV so much that this comes into account, then it might be helpful.

Another advantage of the Curt is that my 2x 1up rack sits low enough you can see my plate and open the hatch without lowering the rack. You wouldn't have either if you had the torklift. I'd be beyond annoyed if I had to lower my rack every time I wanted to get into the back of my car. That and having to crawl underneath my car to pull a hitch pin out. So glad I went with the Curt.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Silentfoe; 09-06-2015 at 12:13 PM.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by summud View Post
    Subaru XV Crosstrek | The New 2013 XV Crosstrek

Looks like a interesting option for a good outdoor/bike hauler that gets pretty good gas mileage. Been looking for a decent car/suv to supplement my full size truck for when i dont need the space and 4WD.

I have never owned a Subaru, so i would be curious to see what you guys who are familiar with them have to say. I have a call into the local dealer to email me when they get one in so i can go down and have a look and a test drive.

The pre-reviews seem to be fairly good except that most are saying its a little under powered at 148 HP.
    Step to the Forester!! I did, and do not regret it. The Forester had half again as much cargo space, and substantially more horsepower, for only a 1mpg difference.

I took a 3,000 mile trip in mine and averaged 30mpg, loaded with camping gear and a hitch mount rack. Skip the XV Crosstrek, the cost is only $1,000 more. It is not worth the price difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002 View Post
    Step to the Forester!! I did, and do not regret it. The Forester had half again as much cargo space, and substantially more horsepower, for only a 1mpg difference.

I took a 3,000 mile trip in mine and averaged 30mpg, loaded with camping gear and a hitch mount rack. Skip the XV Crosstrek, the cost is only $1,000 more. It is not worth the price difference.
    I thought the same thing. Then decided that if I am spending $25k on something, I better like the looks of it. So I went with the Crosstrek.

mtbr member
    I thought the same thing. Then decided that if I am spending $25k on something, I better like the looks of it. So I went with the Crosstrek.
    Looking cool isn't so hot when you are standing in the driveway trying to decide which piece of camping gear to leave at home.

I had to do that with my Hyundia Accent I had, and the Crosstrek has only a tiny bit more room. I will take carrying more gear, and pulling away on an uphill over looking pretty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have trouble getting all my gear in the Forester which I spent 22k on - I can't imagine paying the same or more for less capability. But they do look semi-cool - but if I ever do go for cool, it'll be a WRX.

mtbr member
    Looking cool isn't so hot when you are standing in the driveway trying to decide which piece of camping gear to leave at home.

I had to do that with my Hyundia Accent I had, and the Crosstrek has only a tiny bit more room. I will take carrying more gear, and pulling away on an uphill over looking pretty.
    Very true and I'm not arguing the fact that the Forester may be a better buy for some, but this was a replacement for a 10 year old Honda Civic. I gained more cargo room (hatchback for dog), ground clearance, and all wheel drive and lost 1 or 2 mpg. Realistically, the civic was fine but AWD and the hatchback are very nice to have. As far as camping goes, I take the 4 door Wrangler on those days.

Just like bikes, it's nice to have options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Very true and I'm not arguing the fact that the Forester may be a better buy for some, but this was a replacement for a 10 year old Honda Civic. I gained more cargo room (hatchback for dog), ground clearance, and all wheel drive and lost 1 or 2 mpg. Realistically, the civic was fine but AWD and the hatchback are very nice to have. As far as camping goes, I take the 4 door Wrangler on those days.

Just like bikes, it's nice to have options.
    I like your combo!

mtbr member
    Surprisingly with the Forester, It gets much better mileage on camping trips than my Accent did. It seems small engines take a bigger hit on mpg when loaded down.

I loaded up my Accent hatchback with gear and 2 bikes and went from Tucson at 2,600 feet, up to My Graham at 10,000. Normally the Accent got a couple mpg better than the Forester. But between the load, 80mph speeds, and climbing, I got 26mpg round trip.

I did the same trip in the Forester and pulled down 29mpg!

Which makes me wonder if the Crosstrek, with its smaller engine, would lose it's 1mpg advantage loaded down and climbing like the Accent did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Crosstrek would get better mileage - but you'd need to get out and push up hill. Not that the new Forrester is far behind in winning the underpowered award.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The base Foz motor is fine unless you run loaded frequently, push big hills or headwinds with a heavy right foot.

If you really want power, get the XT which is plenty for a CUV.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    The base Foz motor is fine unless you run loaded frequently, push big hills or headwinds with a heavy right foot.

If you really want power, get the XT which is plenty for a CUV.
    Subaru is falling behind on power. The new ones have the same HP as the ones from 15 years ago and now weigh a lot more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    The Crosstrek would get better mileage - but you'd need to get out and push up hill. Not that the new Forrester is far behind in winning the underpowered award.
    My experience with loaded down small engine cars bets you are wrong.

I have done lots of camping trips with a 2006 Honda Civic, and a 2012 Hyundai Accent. Both loaded to the gills, with 2 bikes on a trunk rack. Both vehicles suffered significant drops in fuel mileage when loaded down, trying to go freeway speed. Both dropped from the 31-32 that I normally got with mixed driving, down to around 26mpg.

While the Forester, with more power, cruised along 75-80 with no problem, and still got 29mpg on a trip where I climbed and then descended 7,500 feet.

Logic tells me, the the Crosstrek, which is not much more powerful than the Accent, will also require a much heavier right foot when loaded down, then the Forester. And I bet you, that under those conditions, it's mpg will drop more than what the Forester does, and the Forester will end up getting better mpg under those conditions.

And I don't know what you mean by underpowered? I had no problem driving from Zion full of camping gear and bikes, uphill at 80mph to Salt Lake. I find that driving in the mountains, the engine is rather torquey, and does not feel much slower loaded down, than what it does empty, whereas smaller cars like my Honda, and Hyundai felt way slower when loaded down. The first time I drove the Forester loaded up I was surprised at how it didn't seem to effect it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have never owned a Crosstrek, so maybe the millage would suffer under load. I've owned 4 Subarus and the newest one is the biggest dog. It's got the same HP as the old ones and now they've tweaked the engine to rev much higher and the torque is available at much higher RPM than the old lighter cars. It's sounds like you have not driven cars with more powerful engines much. I love Subaru and will stick with them, but the world is full of small engines making close to double the power for the same displacement now.

mtbr member
    I have never owned a Crosstrek, so maybe the millage would suffer under load. I've owned 4 Subarus and the newest one is the biggest dog. It's got the same HP as the old ones and now they've tweaked the engine to rev much higher and the torque is available at much higher RPM than the old lighter cars. It's sounds like you have not driven cars with more powerful engines much. I love Subaru and will stick with them, but the world is full of small engines making close to double the power for the same displacement now.
    There is actually a test of the Crosstrek done on MTBR, and one thing they noted was that mpg dropped a lot under freeway speeds.

There are more powerful cars than the Forester, for sure. But I wanted good mpg for long road trips to Moab and such to mountain bike ride.

My criteria was which SUV had the best combination of camping gear capacity, mpg, ground clearance, and traction capabilities in sand and such. The Forester definitely beat out the CRV and RAV-4 with it's drive system and ground clearance, while matching them in space, and edging them in mpg.

Yeah, they could probably make the Subaru faster, and they do if you buy the turbo, and lose some mpg. I didn't want a 20mpg SUV though, there are plenty of those to choose from. The Forester has plenty of power for it's intended use of loading it up and going on long trips while getting good mileage.

I did a 3 week trip to Oregon from Tucson, via Utah to mountain bike ride. Loaded with gear and bikes on hitch rack I got 30mpg over a 3,000 mile trip, with lots of varying altitudes. Lack of power was never an issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The CRV and Rav4 have pitiful AWD systems that can't match Subaru. They're great for sure. I just think they could pull a couple more horses out with direct injection from their partner Toyota. My wife is the main complainer as her last car was a 2.5L Impresa that did pretty well with a manual. It's too bad they couldn't put that engine in the Crosstrek - it would've helped.

mtbr member
    I keep seeing ads for an updated Crosstrek on my FB feed with reference to improved performance but when I click on the link I can't find any specific mention of increased horse power. Anyone have any info on this?

I like the XV but live at 6500 feet with mountain passes all around me and when I travel it's with two to three bikes and speeds approaching 80mph most of the time. I want more power.

Found this on Torque News. Looks like mostly chassis/suspension and steering upgrades with some attempts at reducing NVH as well.

Can't seem to find that ad now, but it also looks like a facelift/refresh is in the works for 2018?
    Last edited by KRob; 12-25-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    More than you ever wanted to know about the XV (and other models if you want too).

2016 Subaru XV Crosstrek research webpage- 2.0i, Premium, Limited, Hybrid, Hybrid Touring

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I've just picked up a 2016 facelift model, no trouble in the snowy mountains of CO so far. No power changes from the prior years though.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    We own a 2013 XV and a 2015 Forester. The XV is great, but as others mentioned, it's gas mileage suffers as you ramp up the speed and load. The engine is fairly small, which is fine most of the time but it has to work hard on the highway/hills. We loaded it with 4 people, gear and 6 bikes ( 3 on roof, 3 on hitch )and drove 5 hours from SLC to Zion - it was comfortable and not a problem, but we probably only got 18-20mpg.

The Forester gets about the same mileage day-to-day, the engine being better matched to its size, in my view.

The XV is still a great car, just have to be realistic about the engine size and what type of mileage you will get if you are loaded down and pushing 75-80mph.

mtbr member

New question here.

I bought a new 2016 Crosstrek and I'm trying to find a 2" hitch for it. Does anyone make one that goes thru the cutout in the rear bumper? Looks like the Uhaul and Curt units both install below the bumper. Actually I can't find any hitch that will fit the 2016 Crosstrek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Cop View Post
    I bought a new 2016 Crosstrek and I'm trying to find a 2" hitch for it. Does anyone make one that goes thru the cutout in the rear bumper? Looks like the Uhaul and Curt units both install below the bumper. Actually I can't find any hitch that will fit the 2016 Crosstrek.
    Torklift Central.com (EcoHitch)

mtbr member
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I bought a crosstrek to replace my 2009 outback xt (I had a 2003 wrx wagon before that) and the crosstrek maxes out at 25mpg on the freeway at 75 mph and maybe 27 with a good tailwind. But going into the wind or with the a/c on its dying at 20-22mph at highway speeds, does anyone think that the smaller engine working "harder" is actually killing my MPG's? My outback and wrx got the same highway mpg (worse in the city though) but were way more powerful and could pass with authority. I'd toying with trading the 2014 crosstrek for an outback. instead to get a slightly larger interior and more space to haul bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I can't believe you gave up the hauling capacity and real engine of the Outback for the Crosstrek. I had one for two weeks as a loaner and it seemed decent, but really underpowered and the CVT was a joke. It also had all sorts of beeping lights when you changed lanes.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    I bought a crosstrek to replace my 2009 outback xt (I had a 2003 wrx wagon before that) and the crosstrek maxes out at 25mpg on the freeway at 75 mph and maybe 27 with a good tailwind. But going into the wind or with the a/c on its dying at 20-22mph at highway speeds, does anyone think that the smaller engine working "harder" is actually killing my MPG's? My outback and wrx got the same highway mpg (worse in the city though) but were way more powerful and could pass with authority. I'd toying with trading the 2014 crosstrek for an outback. instead to get a slightly larger interior and more space to haul bikes.
    I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. For the winter months my Crosstrek has a large ski box on top, as well as a Thule sidearm rack and a 1up 2 bike rack on the back. Utah speed limits are 70mph so I regularly hit 75-80. I often go up to Park City or other mountains to ride my Fat bike or snowboard and at the time of my last fill up, I'd averaged 27.3 mpg. I have only once gotten mileage as bad as yours and that was hauling 4 people and a trailer full of bikes and gear to Moab. I'd guess your mileage reflects more on how heavily you apply the pedal or other driving techniques. I still love my XV.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. For the winter months my Crosstrek has a large ski box on top, as well as a Thule sidearm rack and a 1up 2 bike rack on the back. Utah speed limits are 70mph so I regularly hit 75-80. I often go up to Park City or other mountains to ride my Fat bike or snowboard and at the time of my last fill up, I'd averaged 27.3 mpg. I have only once gotten mileage as bad as yours and that was hauling 4 people and a trailer full of bikes and gear to Moab. I'd guess your mileage reflects more on how heavily you apply the pedal or other driving techniques. I still love my XV.
    I agree. While the XV obviously hates high speed cruising, I can still get 26-27mpg on extended 75mph highway trips like from Las Vegas to Brian Head. Kinda weird that my mileage is better around town than out on the highway, but driving out here is kind of unique with the high speed limits.

It's all about the cruise control, btw.

mtbr member
    I get my best mileage on commutes. 32, with 95% freeway miles and light traffic. 55-60 mph. At 70-75, I'll drop to about 27-28.

mtbr member
    On my 2015 Forester with the CV, the very worst tank I got was 27mpg, driving full of camping gear between Zion and Salt Lake City, where right off the bat you are climbing hard while doing 80mph.

The other day I climbed from 2500 feet to almost 9,000 feet up Mt Lemmon and back, and numerous around town runs, and had 29mpg.

On a trip from Tucson across I-10 at 80mph, then up to over 10,000 feet on Mt Graham and back (camping gear and bikes on rear rack) I averaged 29mpg. About 27mpg going and 32 returning. My Hyundai Accent hatchback loaded the same way on the same trip netted me 26mpg, as the small engine had to be throttled hard.

A 3,000 mile trip to Oregon and back with bike and camping gear via Utah netted me exactly 30mpg for the entire trip.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Just a warning to all crosstrek hybrid owners.....You don't have a spare tire!!!! Don't get stuck with a flat tire in the middle of nowhere like me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrackd View Post
    Just a warning to all crosstrek hybrid owners.....You don't have a spare tire!!!! Don't get stuck with a flat tire in the middle of nowhere like me.
    First they go to temporary spares and now none? I guess they don't expect you to go further than the mall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrackd View Post
    Are the tires run flat's?

Your Best Friend
    I don't know of many hybrids that have a spare. They have to fit the batteries somewhere. They usually have a can of fix a flat somewhere in the car.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I don't understand this, I drive 76-79 mph for 90-95% of my commute from rochester mn to minneapolis and rarely ever seen number above 25/26 mpg. I use the cruise and don't run the a/c at all (it turns on automatically when you have the vent position to defrost the windshield). I am however running snow tires at 34 psi which is slightly higher than the 33/32 recommended.

what gives?! Is everyone calculating their mpg's at the pump or taking the in car display computer as true? I take the miles divided by my gallons to get mpg's

On my 2015 Forester with the CV, the very worst tank I got was 27mpg, driving full of camping gear between Zion and Salt Lake City, where right off the bat you are climbing hard while doing 80mph.

The other day I climbed from 2500 feet to almost 9,000 feet up Mt Lemmon and back, and numerous around town runs, and had 29mpg.

On a trip from Tucson across I-10 at 80mph, then up to over 10,000 feet on Mt Graham and back (camping gear and bikes on rear rack) I averaged 29mpg. About 27mpg going and 32 returning. My Hyundai Accent hatchback loaded the same way on the same trip netted me 26mpg, as the small engine had to be throttled hard.

A 3,000 mile trip to Oregon and back with bike and camping gear via Utah netted me exactly 30mpg for the entire trip.

Your Best Friend
    I'm only going off the in car display so granted, that would probably be different but I can't imagine it'd be that far off. For the record I hardly ever use the cruise control. It doesn't coast when it should and I don't mind slowing down a bit going uphill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    In my 2015 Crosstrek, the car computer calculates gas mileage consistently ~2 mpg higher than actual. It seems to be closer to 3 in cold weather. I've been keeping track in fuelly.com and my average mileage is 29.4 mpg in dead flat Ohio.

Also, I tend to get better mpg is I keep the computer on instantaneous mpg so I can see that the mileage sucks when I'm heavy on the go pedal.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the in car gauge is wrong - usually 2.5-3 high for me. I've been running Fuelly since my very first tank, and at 19k miles, I'm averaging 27 mpg. Best I've done is 31 on a tank.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    you can adjust the % +/- of the fuel calculator on the display you have to look up the instructions, its set high from the factory, suprise

mtbr member
    Here's my recent MPG. 41k miles on the car, and I'm a 70-75mph middle-lane-on-the-highway driver.

Since the beginning:

MPG is generally 28-29 in the summer, 23-25 in the winter. I've only gotten over 30 on a handful of tanks. CVT, non-hybrid limited.
    // Giant Trance Advanced
    // Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // Cannondale Scalpel-Si
    // Specialized Fatboy
    // Giant Glory

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    you can adjust the % +/- of the fuel calculator on the display you have to look up the instructions, its set high from the factory, suprise
    Thanks for the tip. I guess it really does help to RTFM!

mtbr member
    Maybe you can help me out, but after RTFM, I've yet to find a way to adjust this. I know the non-US models have a "multi-function display" as opposed to the black and white "multi-information display". The MFD models can be adjusted, but no dice on the MID as far as I can tell.

Do you know something I don't?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Yeah, the in car gauge is wrong - usually 2.5-3 high for me. I've been running Fuelly since my very first tank, and at 19k miles, I'm averaging 27 mpg. Best I've done is 31 on a tank.
    Pretty much identical to my results. On the other hand, I'm not sure how accurate my odometer is.
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Pretty much identical to my results. On the other hand, I'm not sure how accurate my odometer is.
    What, you don't Strava your drives?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    What, you don't Strava your drives?
    just the offroad segments
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Subaru Outback 2.5 AWD You cannot fault them; but expensive on Tax & Petrol. Although it will last you a life-time.

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Does this model have the head gasket issues that the other older ones have had?

mtbr member
    If the XV had like 200hp it would be perfect IMO. That is if you can live with the lack of cargo space. I learned to live with the underwhelming power in my XV but I couldn't handle the tiny trunk area so we upgraded to the 3.6R Outback. Not as cool looking as the XV and I miss the CVI but the power and cargo space made it worth the trade.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    Does this model have the head gasket issues that the other older ones have had?
    No, that's fixed now. Some early ones were oil burners and needed recalled and fixed for free.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    If the XV had like 200hp it would be perfect IMO. That is if you can live with the lack of cargo space. I learned to live with the underwhelming power in my XV but I couldn't handle the tiny trunk area so we upgraded to the 3.6R Outback. Not as cool looking as the XV and I miss the CVI but the power and cargo space made it worth the trade.
    How do you like the six banger Outback? I had a XV as a loaner for 2 weeks and it was tiny and pretty gutless compared to my normal Foresters (which aren't super powerful either).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    We've had a lot of subarus over the years. We have a 2008 Impreza sport with the 2.5L engine in it. While it's a good engine, it's a good engine for about 10 years ago. The scheduled maintenance - especially the 15,000 mile checks - are ridiculously expensive. This engine has not seen the improvements that other cars have had to reduce scheduled operating expense. So while I like the car, while it's safe etc... it's not an economy car by any stretch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Subaru is fairly outdated in a number of ways, but they have a great and simple AWD system, last forever and are very safe. Check out the small offset crash tests and most other car companies are happy to crush your legs with their newest models. I'll take outdated over a hospital stay anytime.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by summud View Post
    Subaru XV Crosstrek | The New 2013 XV Crosstrek

Looks like a interesting option for a good outdoor/bike hauler that gets pretty good gas mileage. Been looking for a decent car/suv to supplement my full size truck for when i dont need the space and 4WD.

I have never owned a Subaru, so i would be curious to see what you guys who are familiar with them have to say. I have a call into the local dealer to email me when they get one in so i can go down and have a look and a test drive.

The pre-reviews seem to be fairly good except that most are saying its a little under powered at 148 HP.
    I see this is a 4 year old quote but for the record I own one for a couple of years now and had a tow-hitch installed and it's awesome even in the snow.

mtbr member
    How do you like the six banger Outback? I had a XV as a loaner for 2 weeks and it was tiny and pretty gutless compared to my normal Foresters (which aren't super powerful either).
    Powerwise it's great. Mileage-wise it's ok. I don't keep careful track but definitely seeing low 20's per gallon. But I have a roof rack on the car too which is coming off soon, so hoping to see 2-4 mpg increase. I miss the little gutless XV though. Almost to the point I was considering trading the OB back for an XV...lol But the wife says no...it's time to actually pay off our cars rather than constantly trading and living with a perpetual car payment.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ditto nubster. I got about 15grand left on XV. No car payment seems like heaven. Soo far away.

mtbr member
    I hear ya...3 years on the truck, 5 years on the OB. Seems like forever when it's a monthly payment.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Too bad Subaru won't sell the diesel version in US. 50mpg and more torque.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Too bad Subaru won't sell the diesel version in US. 50mpg and more torque.
    I don't go diesel for the simple fact I find diesel gas stations not as available as I like. Plus the two cheapest places that offer gas neither have diesel.

My next car is a WRX and not getting it for the MPG's obviously. Fiance planning to get a Ford Explorer so will be using that to transport the bikes when the time comes.

If need be, I would get a roof rack system.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My 2015 Crosstrek is awesome after installing a hitch with a 2 inch receiver.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tartis99 View Post
    My 2015 Crosstrek is awesome after installing a hitch with a 2 inch receiver.

What rack are you using?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmilin View Post
    What rack are you using?
    It's a Swagman 5 bike carrier for a 2 inch receiver. I only load 2 bikes on it while driving my Crosstrek. I use my truck for heavier loads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tartis99 View Post
    It's a Swagman 5 bike carrier for a 2 inch receiver. I only load 2 bikes on it while driving my Crosstrek. I use my truck for heavier loads.

Thanks.. going to check those out. I'm getting a Crosstrek this weekend and adding a 2" hitch and trying to figure out which rack to go with. How noticeable is the drop in MPG w/ a rack?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmilin View Post
    Thanks.. going to check those out. I'm getting a Crosstrek this weekend and adding a 2" hitch and trying to figure out which rack to go with. How noticeable is the drop in MPG w/ a rack?
    I'm not sure about the mileage drop. I had to install the Curt hitch myself, since I couldn't find anyone who would install a 2 inch hitch on my car.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Aww... cool photo of my Crosstrek. 65k miles and no problems!!Subaru XV Crosstrek-1-_dsc7962.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've got about 48k and now started to hear a whine/drone noise. I recently changed tires about 2k ago. Noise gets slightly louder as I increase mph. To me it sounds like differiental issues. I highly doubt its the tires they're contiential purecontacts. They were nice and quite when I first got them installed. I plan on taking to dealer once they can get me in. Any opinions on what issue could be?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    I've got about 48k and now started to hear a whine/drone noise. I recently changed tires about 2k ago. Noise gets slightly louder as I increase mph. To me it sounds like differiental issues. I highly doubt its the tires they're contiential purecontacts. They were nice and quite when I first got them installed. I plan on taking to dealer once they can get me in. Any opinions on what issue could be?
    Could be a wheel bearing or cv joint(axle half shaft).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm hoping its something minor. Power train warranty expires here soon. If its something major this is will be my last Subaru. Hardly any miles to be having major problems. I've read several folks having diff and bearing problems right after the warranty expired!

I'm not hearing any clunks or loud noises. Just drone/whine from about 35mph and on up. Car has been driven mostly highway and light off road.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Before going worst-case, why not try rotating the tires?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Wheel bearing as mentioned. Alingment? Did you hit a big potholse lately? Most Wheelworks offeres free alignment checks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Drone/Whine is coming from center/rear of car. If im on dirt road I still hear whine/drone on acceleration and deceleration. Rotating the tires wont fix issue, as there is no uneven wear on tires and they barely have 2k on them. Car feels like its aligned straight. Doesnt veer off when going down straight road. New tires also feel well balanced and car doesnt shake at high speeds.

Dealer cant fit me in till early next week. I will update once I get information from dealer.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Not sure why you asked for opinions since you seem to be keen on discounting any that vary from the decision you appear to have already made.

You could rotate your own tires in 15 minutes. Worst case scenario, you take that off the list of possibilities. Good luck at the dealer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Dropped car off today at dealer. I had a techinican ride along in car. He said noise is most certainly drivetrain related. Said they had an 17 outback with similar noise and ended up being bad drive shaft. Waiting on call back from shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    How is the Crosstrek for a bigger guy. I'm 6'3", 280lbs and I had an Outback Sedan years ago and I like the look of the Crosstrek. I know it's not too powerful, but I drive like an old man and I think it would an awesome car, if I'm comfortable in it.
    I know I need to go sit in one, I'm just wondering what the Clydedales that own one think.

Your Best Friend
    I'm just shy of 6'3" and 220. My right knee will rest on the side edge of the foot space if I get tired and/or lazy and I'll realize it's hurting. That's only on really long drives though. Head room is plenty.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I'm just shy of 6'3" and 220. My right knee will rest on the side edge of the foot space if I get tired and/or lazy and I'll realize it's hurting. That's only on really long drives though. Head room is plenty.
    6'2" the sunroof really cuts into headroom.

The model my wife and I tried before ordering didn't have the sunroof, our does. Subsequently not much room between me and the roof. Other than that we love the car.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Your Best Friend
    I have a sunroof as well. Haven't noticed a problem. I owned an XV before without a sunroof. Can't say I notice a difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    6'2" the sunroof really cuts into headroom.

The model my wife and I tried before ordering didn't have the sunroof, our does. Subsequently not much room between me and the roof. Other than that we love the car.
    How does the addition of the sunroof decrease clearance? I would think the opposite. I had a sunroof in my old Subaru Outback and it didn't decrease headroom at all.

mtbr member
    Kind of wondering how many of you have the manual? I am looking at the Forester with the 6sp. I don't like the interior as much as the XV. But I have to commute an hour each way every day and the speed limit is 75. The lack of a 6th gear makes me think its going to get crappy MPGs.

Your Best Friend
    I'm a manual fan but only on off road vehicles and sports cars. The XV is neither. The automatic gets better gas mileage. I use the paddle shifter all of the time to down shift while going down hills. All I really need it for. Unless you have religious reasons for choosing a manual, I'd get to auto.

mtbr member
    I'm a manual fan but only on off road vehicles and sports cars. The XV is neither. The automatic gets better gas mileage. I use the paddle shifter all of the time to down shift while going down hills. All I really need it for. Unless you have religious reasons for choosing a manual, I'd get to auto.
    I have religious reasons. I can't stand automatics and I will walk to work before I own a CVT.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    I have religious reasons. I can't stand automatics and I will walk to work before I own a CVT.
    A CVT isn't like a conventional automatic transmission.

I liked having a manual in my WRX, but the CVT just seems to fit the personality of the XV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    A CVT isn't like a conventional automatic transmission.

I liked having a manual in my WRX, but the CVT just seems to fit the personality of the XV.
    Yea I know its worse.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Turned out to be bad wheel bearings for that loud hum/whine noise. Tech mentioned Subaru had bad batch. Google around on any newer Subaru. Outbacks, foresters, crosstrek, ect

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    A 2017 Premium is looking really tempting. My jeep keeps having problems and it may be time for replacement. Only think that sucks, I would need an extra car for a tow vehicle

western NC
    After tons of research over the past year or so, I think a Crosstrek is right up my alley. I'm going to pick one up next weekend, for an extended weekend test drive to make sure it's what I want before committing to it. Really good to hear that you owners are still mostly happy with yours.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 159