mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Subaru Crosstrek hitch options

Hello so I am getting out of my WRX and into a new Crosstrek. Which hitch shall I get? I had the Eco Hitch on my WRX which hides behind the square hole. It was fine but a real pain to remove and install pin for bike rack. The only issue with the regular like Curt hitch is clearance. Any opinions?

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    I'm running the Curt 2". It's cheap on Amazon, bolts up in 30 minutes. It is below the bumper, but doesn't cause any issues. The eco looks awesome, but it's a PIA to get the locking pin into my Kuat.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I have a Curt 2" which I purchased from etrailer.com. They also have a great installation video on their website.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    You can kinda see the hitch below. The video on etrailer.com is excellent.

Subaru Crosstrek hitch options-img_0840.jpg

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    You can kinda see the hitch below. The video on etrailer.com is excellent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	1121027
    Thanks for the pic. Nice bike! I'm really liking the idea of the Curt 2" On the Crosstrek it doesn't look like the clearance would be an issue like on a lower car like the WRX

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Clearance is still very good.

@tgi_cycling

I've got an Outback and just went with Uhaul. Around $200 installed, lifetime warranty. No issues with clearance, and can't see it unless you bend down.

western NC
    I went with the factory hitch for multiple reasons.

1. I hate the look of the entire bar assembly hanging down.
    2. I like having just the receiver sticking out. No laying on my back trying find the hold on a hidden hitch setup when using a cargo rack, and it hand just below the bumper cover / muffler and will hit before they do.
    3. I don't need a 2" hitch, I'm not towing a bass boat with a Crosstrek.
    4. Wasn't a factor for me, but it's also designed to work with the factory crumple zones.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    I went with the factory hitch for multiple reasons.

1. I hate the look of the entire bar assembly hanging down.
    2. I like having just the receiver sticking out. No laying on my back trying find the hold on a hidden hitch setup when using a cargo rack, and it hand just below the bumper cover / muffler and will hit before they do.
    3. I don't need a 2" hitch, I'm not towing a bass boat with a Crosstrek.
    4. Wasn't a factor for me, but it's also designed to work with the factory crumple zones.
    I really like the idea of the factory hitch. I wonder where would be the best price one could purchase one?

Quote Originally Posted by krazymatt View Post
    I really like the idea of the factory hitch. I wonder where would be the best price one could purchase one?
    I would re-think the factory hitch. Only because it doesn't come in 2". I don't tow, either, but 2" racks mount SO much more solid than 1.25". I had one before (on another car) and the side sway was horrible. Systems like 1UP mitigate that a bit, but 2" is still preferred.

western NC
    My 1up rack doesn't mitigate it, it's solid as can be, you can shake the car via the rack but not wiggle at all between rack / hitch. And you'll have to purchase the factory hitch at a dealer.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    If you need to carry more than 2 bikes, you might be limited on the 1.25" hitch rack options. I did the 2" Curt since I use a 4 bike Kuat NV.

I think 1Up only sells the 1.25" rack fir up to 2 bikes.

@tgi_cycling

western NC
    Good point, I have no intention of carrying more than two bikes.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    If you need to carry more than 2 bikes, you might be limited on the 1.25" hitch rack options. I did the 2" Curt since I use a 4 bike Kuat NV.

I think 1Up only sells the 1.25" rack fir up to 2 bikes.
    You'll be seriously limited. I don't know a single platform rack that can do 4 bikes on a 1.25" stinger. The only 4 bike racks I know of that have 1.25" stingers are cradle-type racks. This is the biggest reason I got a 2" receiver on my crosstrek. Even though I haven't carried more than 2 bikes on my Kuat, I didn't want that limitation. The only reason I'd ever buy a 1.25" receiver was if a 2" one wasn't available or possible. And it's a big reason I haven't put a receiver on my Honda Fit yet (even though I've owned it for 10yrs). My rack is a 2" rack, so the 1.25" receivers available for my car wouldn't do me any good unless I bought another hitch rack.

mtbr member
    Have you guys ever bumped your bike into something when making a tight turn since the bike is wider than the car?

I kind of equate it to having a trailer. With a trailer you can't make a tight turn because the trailer takes a smaller radius turn and can clip things like curbs, poles, trees, etc.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Have you guys ever bumped your bike into something when making a tight turn since the bike is wider than the car?

I kind of equate it to having a trailer. With a trailer you can't make a tight turn because the trailer takes a smaller radius turn and can clip things like curbs, poles, trees, etc.
    Um, no. Never clipped a trailer, either. This is what side mirrors are for. I pay attention to what I'm doing.

Your Best Friend
    You would have to turn so ridiculously tight and close to something in order to do that. And be a really shitty driver.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I got the 2" Curt from etrailer. No clearance problems and super easy to install.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Um, no. Never clipped a trailer, either. This is what side mirrors are for. I pay attention to what I'm doing.
    I am low on the evolutionary scale, so I get distracted like a dog seeing a squirrel run across the road and make mistakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    You would have to turn so ridiculously tight and close to something in order to do that. And be a really shitty driver.
    In parking lots, I hit curbs with my rear tires occasionally. Haha.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Do any of you guys have a picture of the factory hitch installed? I want to see how hidden it is compared to the other hitches which are really visible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Note that the Curt hitch does reduce ground clearance. I have one on our Crosstrek, and while driving a forest service road/trail that was pushing the capacity of the Crosstrek, I bumped a rock on the hitch. Not a huge difference in clearance, but it is about an inch

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Your Best Friend
    I like having the Curt hang down that little bit. Usually if I tap it on the ground, I would have possibly hit my bumper instead. I'd much rather hit the hitch.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Just a flesh wound
    I put an Eco Hitch on my Crosstrek. It is hidden in the bumper with a knockout. 2" works great. I put 4 bikes on when the whole family rides. 2 Prophets, one Jekyll and a F@R.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    You guys are nuts to install these "cheap" aftermarket hitches. These aftermarket hitches are a rig job which uses a 4-bolt clamping setup into a thin sheet metal body reinforcement. The OEM hitch uses a 6-bolt direct attachment into threaded holes where the original bumper was installed. Spend the money and do it right. I ordered my OEM from Heuberger for $360 and installed it myself in a few hours.