Poll: Do you install and remove your hitch bike rack every ride or leave it on?

mtbr member

Stupid hitch bike rack question and poll?

This is kind of a stupid question about hitch bike racks but curious because I was thinking of getting one.

Do you guys install and remove your hitch bike rack for every ride or leave it on all the time?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I leave it on all the time. I now live in GA. When I lived in MN, I took it off during the winter (fat biking) due to salt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I use a Kuat, it takes like 20 seconds to install and remove. So i remove it if i know i wont use it that day.

western NC
    Stays on all the time. One less things to have to do to go ride spur of the moment.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
    I use a Kuat, it takes like 20 seconds to install and remove. So i remove it if i know i wont use it that day.
    Same here.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

Hi There!
    I leave mine on all weekend, and only put it on weekdays if needed.
    NTFTC

since 4/10/2009
    Ours stays on all the time, except seasonally due to salt on the roads, or when my wife wants to go through a car wash.

All fat, all the time.
    Mine stays on all the time, luckily all aluminum so no worries on salt etc.
    The Thule sidearm I have on my work truck are starting to rust, they stay out 100% of the time. In the process of fixing it right now.

From what I've noticed, Yakima, 1up, and swagman all hold up better than the Thule fwiw.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it just seemed like a pain to install and remove every ride. Especially when I ride like 3-4 times a week.

I would probably lean toward a lighter model. 50lb weight on some of them I have looked at seem like a lot to lift and lug around. I am small and weak.

Do they hold up exposed to the elements for a long time?

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I've left mine on year round. Salt can be a paint but thankfully plenty of warmer days to wash it off.

Alot of it depends on the rack. When I did have to take it on and off all the time I had one of the "V" shaped racks that held bikes by the rims. Came apart into 3 pieces. Easy to store, under a minute to take it off or put it on. Now I have Kuat I keep getting yelled at for it being left on our Odyssey. Not so quick and easy to take on and off. So alot of trips to the car wash.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

western NC
    1up racks are aircraft aluminum and stainless steel, so no worries about salt. The single tray 1&1/4 rack is only 28lbs also, the add on tray is 18lbs.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    1up racks are aircraft aluminum and stainless steel, so no worries about salt. The single tray 1&1/4 rack is only 28lbs also, the add on tray is 18lbs.
    I have the 1up...best rack ever. But I still don't leave it on all the time, it's too nice and I'm OCD about keeping it that way.
    NTFTC

mtbr member extraordinair
    Mine is on all the time, except in the winter due to salt (when Im riding less anyway)
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

psycho cyclo addict
    Mine is on 98% of the time unless I'm taking a road trip with no bikes. Some of my cronies have been pulled over by the police and hassled about hitch racks obstructing their license plate. I've never had an issue after years with a Kuat NV on there.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Workin for the weekend!
    Mine is on and off frequently. I have a cordless impact driver setup to make the install fast, no fuss. The rack sits 5ft from the hitch when not in use, so very little goofing around. I can install in under 1 minute...
    Todd

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have a T2 and take it on and off for just about every ride. Only takes about 30 seconds either way and I'd rather not add the complication of possible license plate blocking and a bit harder getting into the rear hatch (but it all clears just fine). I find the key is to have a space right next to your car where you can set/hang it. Some of these are heavy and dragging them around kind of sucks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Aluminum still corrodes. I take off my Kuat. I only go 1-2 times a week. No use having it on there. There's apparently been some rack thefts, and it also decreases MPG slightly. It's also more cumbersome to access rear cargo (Subaru hatch).

Just Joshin' ya!
    In Arizona, its a illegal to block the view of your license plate. Some people have received fines so I used to take mine off my old jeep (when I had one). Now I have a roof rack on my car. Roof racks suck. I should have put a hitch on my car and kept my rack.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGweed View Post
    I have the 1up...best rack ever. But I still don't leave it on all the time, it's too nice and I'm OCD about keeping it that way.
    We rarely get snow, so salt is rare too. I wash the rack when I wash the car too. But, I completely understand where you're coming from.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGweed View Post
    Its called taking good care of your stuff, it lasts a lot longer. 👍

Mine goes off, its a bit heavy but it seems a pain to have it on all the time. Mazda3
    just get a bike and ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a single tray 1up. It doesn't block anything, it doesn't rust, it is very compact, blah blah blah. The only time I've taken it off was when I got a new car to put it on. Eventually I'll get an add on tray and when I do that will only be installed on the rare times I need it.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I remove mine when I'm not using it because it obscures my car's backup camera and makes the proximity alarm sound off in reverse gear.

meh
    All the time, throw the bike on whenever and also blocks my license plate

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Depends......

Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    This is kind of a stupid question about hitch bike racks but curious because I was thinking of getting one.

Do you guys install and remove your hitch bike rack for every ride or leave it on all the time?
    I leave mine on part of the time, depending upon weather, likely frequency of riding and where I'm going. Definitely take it off when driving in snow (I ski then, don't bike!), but on most of the summer. Mine is a really old Yakima - probably 20 years....the type that looks like a scorpion tail, not like most newer ones....is really easy & quick & light.

One consideration for all the fancy expensive newer ones - in Colorado's front range there have been a lot of thefts of racks (as well as bikes). Mostly at trailheads, but elsewhere as well - so why leave it on and vulnerable if not bing used? Also, it's good to have it off the back for parking. Hard to see the back of the rack while backing up, and they don't work very well as bumpers. I've also had my bike and rack hit in a parking lot...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I leave mine on for the summer only because I live in Ohio and biking in the winter is a mess and typically very cold and I HATE cold.

I bought a bike rack from etrailer.com at the same time I purchased my trailer hitch.

I've seen this particular rack morphed into may diff designs but the one from SportRack is the best from what I've experienced.

Trust me, you don't have to spend more than $200 to get a good rack, this one even carries two bikes all summer long. Easy to use too. I trust it with my $5k+ bike which is a lot to say.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...ck/SR2901.html

Bikesexual
    [QUOTE=M3Roc;13052728]I leave mine on for the summer only because I live in Ohio and biking in the winter is a mess and typically very cold and I HATE cold.

I bought a bike rack from etrailer.com at the same time I purchased my trailer hitch.

I've seen this particular rack morphed into may diff designs but the one from SportRack is the best from what I've experienced.

Trust me, you don't have to spend more than $200 to get a good rack, this one even carries two bikes all summer long. Easy to use too. I trust it with my $5k+ bike which is a lot to say.

[url]https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch

That's my rack too -it works great! I did a blunder though and didn't notice that foam sleeves that secure the bike by the frame had rolled up and scratched my bike a bit but that was my own stupid fault. I want a one-up but that would just be me wasting money I can use for other bike stuff - Taking it on its first long drive later in April we'll see how it holds up. I have a lock and anti-rattle so I should be set. BTW paid $50.00 to a friend for it, he got a more fancy one for his SUV.
    just get a bike and ride!

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    I take mine on / off every time. If I know I'm going to use it again the next day and won't be doing too much driving in the meantime, I'll leave it on. Otherwise, it's just an invitation for the rack to get damaged, etc. IMO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    This particular SportRack system also allows you to tilt back the entire bike rack by removing one pin so you can access the trunk area in a hatch type car. Because this is a pin, it allows the rack some tolerance and it bounces around so its not perfect.

Since I don't need the rack to tilt back because I have a regular trunk, I took that bottom pin out and replaced it with a bolt and locking nut to leave it permanently in the upper position. This also tightened up the rack and made it quieter since it doesn't move around or rattle anymore, perfect rack and doesn't cost a ton.

For the amount of money that some of these manufacturers want for their bike rack, I would rather get a new shock and use a cheaper rack. No reason why a bike rack should cost $500+..

Also, one other feature that I like about this bike rack is that the tongue (the part that mounts to your hitch) has a moving threaded nut inside and a threaded pin is included. Once the rack is installed in the hitch, you install the pin using a wrench to tighten the rack for a nice tight fit with the hitch. This prevents easy theft and rattle by a long shot! That alone makes this rack a winner.