mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Something lighter than a Kuat transfer 3?

I've got a Kuat Transfer 3 on my SUV (2" hitch) and it's quite nice. For long trips with 3 bikes it's great. But it's beastly heavy.

I'd like to find something that'd work on the back of my wife's Mini Cooper convertible. We already have the minifini rack add-on. The bike rack is 'rudimentary', at best. I'd like to use a hitch receiver style instead. They make both a 1.25 and a 2" receiver add-on for the sportbar, so I'll order whichever one is ideal for the right rack.

So my question is of the MANY racks out there, which is going to be the lightest for use in a hitch receiver? We're looking at 2 bikes, max. Both are likely to be mountain bikes; one for Mom and the other for our son. Right now that's a Jamis and a 20" Riprock. Both have enough top tube room for racks, but I'd like to consider ones that cradle from the wheels instead.

What's out there that doesn't weigh a ton? This for both the convenience of installing/removing it AND not putting an excessive amount of weight on the hitch receiver.

Suggestions? Or advice as to what not to consider?

chasing simplicity
    Best and lightest hitch mount rack Iíve ever had. Modular: you can buy the single and the add-on for when you have two. https://www.1up-usa.com
    I know what it's like to be dead. "To Die & Live In LA."

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Actually the Kuat 2-bike Transfer and the Kuat Sherpa are lighter than the 2-bike 1up rack plus they cost less.

The 2-bike 1up weighs in at 40+ lbs while the Transfer weighs 37lbs and the Sherpa weighs 32.

The cost for a 2-bike 1up is $500 with the Transfer being $290 and the Sherpa being $490.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The Saris Super Clap weighs right around 35 lbs, I'm on my second (First was lost in a car wreck).

Picked my last one up on sale, reallly cheap too. I move it from two different vehicles, our camper, and to a trailer I carry our Kayaks on a lot. I'm down one knee and I can move it with ease.

My wife rides an Extra Small, I ride an extra Large, both bikes fit great.
    His: 2018 Trance Advanced 1
    Hers: 2017 Liv Hail 2

RIP: 2017 Trance Advanced 2
    First: 2014 Giant Talon 29er 0

mtbr member
    The current 1up rack is heavy, I don't know why people keep saying it's light weight. The new QUIK-RACK MACH 2 will be lighter but it's unclear by how much yet.

I second the Saris Superclamp 2, love mine so far. The only downside is it doesn't fold down (although the EX version does) but since most racks don't do that well anyway, it's not a big deal. I also got mine on sale for a great price.

The Kuat Sherpa 2.0 is also very light, but more expensive than the Saris considering it is made in China instead of the USA.

RFB
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Also, the Saris Freedom https://www.saris.com/product/freedom-2 Amazingly light. About 20 lbs. Plenty of side-to-side adjustability so no interference between bikes. 20" kid's bike, wife's 26" hybrid, 27.5 FS and 29" hardtails have all easily fit. Son's older DH did not. Couldn't find a good spot for the frame cradle.

Downsides - non folding and it does cradle/strap to the frame. 4 years of use and no scratches where it makes contact.