mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Roof rack and carbon forks

What roof bike racks do you use for bikes with carbon forks?

I have this rack but I am not sure how this work with carbon fork. It says its not suitable with carbon frame, but it doesnt mention the fork.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-...tride-_-561000

mtbr member
    I used a Yakima Frontloader. It captures the front wheel so no worries as far as the fork or frame is made from.

I saw the light though and finally moved to a hitch mount rack and I don't think I could go back to roof rack again. Still uses an arm that captures the front wheel...so I can haul any bike without any problem.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Does the bike in Yakima rack waves side to side on highway speeds and when driving enthusiastically?

Thule Outride keeps the bike firm in place so is doesnt move at any speeds or corners, but that is because it mounts on the front fork (you have to take the wheel off)

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Driving like that with bikes being roof mounted is a bad idea in about every way. Racks arent designed to hold bikes at excessive speed with aggressive driving.

Kind of whats more important, driving ridiculously or your bikes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Lets get back to the subject, I am interested can you have a carbon fork in bike racks that clamp onto the fork itself, like this for example?

mtbr member
    There was a little bit of side to side movement but nothing that ever had me concerned. Just the nature of the rack. I'd rather it move just a little than have my fork clamped down so firmly that it couldn't move thus possibly putting stress on it because now it's take the full weight of the bike that wants to move side to side as you're driving. And I agree with RAKC...when I have a bike or bikes on my car...I'm not driving "enthusiastically". It's not worth risking thousands of dollars worth of bike nor risking damage to my car or risking damage to someone else's car should a bike break loose and hit the road.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toni31 View Post
    Lets get back to the subject, I am interested can you have a carbon fork in bike racks that clamp onto the fork itself, like this for example?

Contact Thule and ask. If I tell you it's ok and you do it and your fork rips off...then guess what. You're shit outta luck. Thule says yes it's ok and something happens...you might have some recourse. Either way...I wouldn't use a mount like that regardless.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've used Thule's Velo vise for years with full carbon forks and have never had a problem. Think about it, a wheel mounted into fork and doing either road or mountain biking with that same fork will put more stress on the fork that a rack mount would put on that same fork.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Driving like that with bikes being roof mounted is a bad idea in about every way. Racks arent designed to hold bikes at excessive speed with aggressive driving.

Kind of whats more important, driving ridiculously or your bikes.
    I've driven at excessive speeds and driven aggressively with roof-mounted racks for a few decades.

It's not ridiculous nor a bad idea and the bikes have stayed just where they were designed to. In the rack (Thule, Saris, Yakima and Kuat).

OP, check out the Kuat Trio.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Doing both is unnecessary and dangerous anyway. Not like I havent done it (never with bikes on though) but its called reckless driving for a reason

You better find a whole lot of wood to be knocking on now though. Cause excessive speeds on the highway and a bike flying off for reckless driving is going to get expensive fast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Can I drive bikes downhill at excessive speeds?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Little
    Doing both is unnecessary and dangerous anyway. Not like I havent done it (never with bikes on though) but its called reckless driving for a reason

You better find a whole lot of wood to be knocking on now though. Cause excessive speeds on the highway and a bike flying off for reckless driving is going to get expensive fast.
    Again, the bikes don't fly off.

What's dangerous/reckless for some folks isn't dangerous for others.

mtbr member
    I used the Yakima fork mount with my road bikes for years and never had an issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roof rack and carbon forks-img_20121103_095206-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ^^ditto. I'm not sure what all this worry is about. Before folks decided that they didn't want to take their front wheels off, probably due to more and more front wheel type trays being developed, fork mounts were the main game. Never was there a problem. That is unless you rail your bike into a garage or low overhang, but that's going to wreck your bike, maybe car, no matter what type of tray you are using.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've also used that type fork mount rack for 29 years now, my primary fork mount tray rack is a Thule from about '91, I still have a couple of the 80s ones, -the older ones weren't designed for mountain bike tires or disc brakes (brake caliper hits the tray without some sort of adapter/mod). I would trust the Thule, or Yakima, they've both been at it quite a while.
    Never drove too enthusiastically, and never lost anything off the rack, but I have been nervous in heavy side winds (that would be true with any roof mount rack). The rack only came off once, when the car rolled (bike was not on that day).
    If you've got a really full car, the wheels take up a lot of room in the back, but there's ways around that.
    I would not buy a rack that clamps or touches anywhere on the frame, either get one that clamps on the tires only, or the fork mount type.
    On my wife's car with factory rack, I drilled and bolted-on 3 of the cheap truck bed type fork mounts, and then I just strap the back tire to the other rack.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.