fc
    head minion Administrator

RockyMounts SplitRail review

Nice rack! We reviewed it here:

RockyMounts SplitRail hitch rack review - Mtbr.com

Great to have another good player in the category.

RockyMounts SplitRail review-1-p6160001.jpg

RockyMounts SplitRail review-2-p6160005.jpg

RockyMounts SplitRail review-3-p6160010.jpg

RockyMounts SplitRail review-4-p6160012.jpg

RockyMounts SplitRail review-5-p6160013.jpg

RockyMounts SplitRail review-6-p6160015.jpg

RockyMounts SplitRail review-7-p6160018.jpg

RockyMounts SplitRail review-8-p6160031.jpg

RockyMounts SplitRail review-9-p6160034.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Are you still using the SplitRail? If so how's it holding up and is it still your favorite rack?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I actually purchased one of these pretty much based on this review and have had a few problems after the initial honeymoon period.

1. Stabilizer "hook" contacts my front brake cable guide shredding the rubberized coating on the hook. I have removed my cable guide and covered the hook with a piece of hose to stop it from damaging my bike. RockyMounts suggest I move the hook away from my fork, but this causes the bike to be extremely loose on the rack.
    2. Anti-wobble collar does not stay in place. This cause me to over tighten it and break the one it came with. RockyMounts replaced it and the new one slips just the same.
    3. Stabilizer bar has bent at the pivot point during a trip across the state (Florida). It's not a large bend, but scary that I feel I may lose the bike at any given time. I am now securing my bike and stabilizer bar to the trunk of my car with bungee cords. I have sent an email to RockyMounts regarding this...[UPDATE] I just received the replacement bar, but they didn't send a key for the lock...
    [UPDATE[ They sent me a new lock core to replace the one they sent on the bar. Everything is good for now.
    Last edited by BigJDeuce; 07-11-2017 at 05:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I have the same issue with the anti-wobble collar moving. It's frustrating as you really need to check it often, otherwise the whole thing is loose in the hitch. I will email them for suggestions. Spot weld?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I thought about that. I'm sure it would work, but right now I've just rigged the broken collar AND the new collar on the rack so it's been ok. I think they could change the collar a bit, maybe add some knobs on the inside to bite into the rack or put some knobs on the rack to bite into the collar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Curious about durability comments here. I have seen a decent deals splitrail. Are you guys able to comment on use through dirt roads, wet/grime? Also any experience with the add on bike mounts? I want to use 4 up at times but having easy add on up to 4 stepping up to 3 then 4 seems great. I have a yakima holdup that is corroding but been been great for 2 up for a few years on car with 1 1/4 hitch. I was attracted to 1upusa due to aluminum, but price is right here. Based on this and couple review comments I'm a bit leary of all the adjustments here via bolts (are the bolts secure or loosen over time for lateral movement), and collar comments.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I'm not sure I'd put 4 bikes on one with a 1 1/4" hitch. My rack has been good since it's been fixed, but I now transport my bike inside of my car when I go on road trips and I reinforce the support bars with bungee cords when I have bikes on the rack. My car isn't the best choice for a hitch mounted bike rack being a low coupe with tight suspension and I'm the rack would fair better on a vehicle with more forgiving suspension. Not sure this helps your decision

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I totally forgot I was going to send Rocky Mounts an email about the collar and another wobble issue. I'm sending one now and will update you when I receive a response.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJDeuce View Post
    I'm not sure I'd put 4 bikes on one with a 1 1/4" hitch.
    Sorry my note may have been confusing. I am considering the 2" version. My old holdup is a 1 1/4".

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I bought the rocky mounts splitrail from etrailer. Pretty reasonable price. I had two major issues:

1. The collar would slide as the anti-wobble knob was tightened. Poor design.
    2. I got the 4 bike kit, but it came with 3 different key sets! Poor coordination.

I contacted RockyMounts about this and without hesitation, they sent me two lock cores to match so I have only 1 key for the set and they sent me an extra anti-wobble collar that I can butt up against the existing collar. Not an elegant solution, but it will likely work.

I really wanted the new design 1up, but it's not supposed to be available until December. I'm not going to wait that long. Also, I am kinda soft on this weird pissing contest that seems to exist between the owner/former owner. Oh... and I don't think they have a very well thought out way to lock the bikes and the rack. So, I went with the RockyMounts because it was supposed to be the lightest 4 bike rack available.

One more comment:

Converting from a 2 bike rack to a 4 bike rack requires some tools and a few minutes. Not terribly difficult, but not nearly as slick as the 1up. However, if you want to do a 3 bike rack instead of 4, that requires much more extensive surgery. You have to disassemble the 2 add ons, reposition rails, install a spacer and then reassemble.

I got this rack partly because of its ability to do 3 or 4 rails. However, this has turned out to be a disappointment. Due to the difficulty in converting from 4 to 3, it's likely that I will never disassemble my 2 rail add on. So, effectively, I'm just like a Thule: 2 bikes or 4. :-(

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I was also looking at the 4 bike splitrail but ended up going with the Saris SuperClamp EX 4. It's 63lbs vs the 76 of the split rail and also will take wider tires. Price was about the same if you can find a 20% off deal on the superclamp ex.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonp22 View Post
    I have the same issue with the anti-wobble collar moving. It's frustrating as you really need to check it often, otherwise the whole thing is loose in the hitch. I will email them for suggestions. Spot weld?
    It's been awhile, but I should be fair and post a follow-up to this. I visited the Rocky Mounts shop and the guys there were great. A second collar was added and I've had no wobble issues since. Loving the rack now, no issues.