Here's the info.

https://www.quikrack.com/

Seems to be available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Here's the info.

https://www.quikrack.com/

Seems to be available.
    Not available yet. Was going to be released in December and it got pushed to January. He is sending out alerts to those who signed up to receive them when being released.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I got the original quick rack in August. Thing is the cats meow! Company supports it well. Just did the fatbike upgrade.

aka bOb
    The email address he has listed doesn't work

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    The email address he has listed doesn't work
    I got a response from Cal at quikrackmach2@gmail.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    Not available yet. Was going to be released in December and it got pushed to January. He is sending out alerts to those who signed up to receive them when being released.
    I see the website says "Buy it Now"?
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    I know but when you try you come to a screen that says "sold out." The site is set up but the rack won't be out until possibly January.

Gigantic Hawk
    I wonder if the receiver pin is removable since not every hitch setup allows for side access like Cal intends.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cal says the production is sold out to the 2000 on the email list. More production should become available about March. Sign up for the news letter under About.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I wonder if the receiver pin is removable since not every hitch setup allows for side access like Cal intends.
    Clearance can be an issue. It looks like it is removable as there is a bolt head on the other side of the crosspiece. Looks like the crosspiece can also be unbolted and flipped over to put the pin release on the opposite side.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Cal says the production is sold out to the 2000 on the email list. More production should become available about March. Sign up for the news letter under About.
    Anyone here one of those 2000? I signed up for the email list a couple months ago and haven't heard anything. I did go ahead and get the 1up USA rack as I needed something sooner, some of the changes are cool but I have some questions about how others will work out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I emailed early on and never heard anything further. Bought the original as did not want to wait. Original company seems strong.

mtbr member
    He told me a few months ago that I am on the list. Not quite sure what that means but will probably purchase it when available. No particular rush as I'll get by with my Swagman in the meantime.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_MTB_22 View Post
    I emailed early on and never heard anything further. Bought the original as did not want to wait. Original company seems strong.
    Agreed and I was in the same boat. Also, as the OP on the 1UP vs 1-UP thread, it's just one more example of how Cal is operating on the fringe of legitimacy IMO.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm also supposed to be on list but didn't receive anything about it being pushed to Jan from Dec. I don't even think I see a date now..

Has anyone heard anything at all that had inquired about one?

Thinking about just sucking it up and going the OG route..

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    My impression is that this has been sketchy from the start and the information that is available has been questionable. My gut (I have no information, just speculating on what I can see), says that there is more going on behind the scenes here. The fact that 1upusa.com and 1up-usa.com now both go to the old company tells me that there is more happening than we see, my guess is that there is some legal action going on. My guess is he is trying to cover for delays (legal or logistical) by saying that he is sold out for now. I'm sure I wasn't the first to sign up but I have never gotten any email about the new rack. The whole thing just feels sketchy and makes me glad I went with the old stand by.

As I am new on this forum I feel I should say I have no connection to either company other than purchasing from the 1up USA. I have been lurking on here for a few months and finally signed up for an account. This thread just seemed to grab my attention lol.

mtbr member
    I can see it being an issue if someone needed a rack relatively soon or ASAP. Like I mentioned, I will happily wait using my Swagman while things get sorted out. Saving some coin on a black unit with improvements outweighs my urgency or concern for the situation going on behind the scenes. Understand though those not willing to wait or those concerned about the whole business thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Competition is a good thing.

So the new Quik Rack is actually the third version of this rack just to get terminology straight. I own the previous two versions.

Version 1 was the original rack designed by Cal and when Cal was in the company. I have one of these racks.

Version 2 was the original design modified by Robbie after Cal was out of the company. I have that design

Version 3 is the version that Cal is advertising now and has significant improvements.

My daughter now has v1. I bought v2 last summer. It's nice, I like it, it but it is substantially heavier than v1 which is a problem. The rack members were simply made of heavier gauge aluminum and beefed up. That added a lot of weight to the rack which reduced it's attractiveness for me. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice rack, but it's considerably heavier. That makes it harder for me to store. It makes it harder for my wife to manhandle. I'm not sure making it heavier gained anything.

Also, it appears to me that when making the rack heavier and the aluminum thicker, they wound up with some interference with the two bolts to which one would attach add on units making them tighter to the sides. There is less clearance to the side. This isn't a problem if you use their tool, but it is a problem if you use other tools (I agree, this is a nit). I took one of my supplied tools and cut off an piece at the end, glued it into a 3/8" socket and use a socket ratchet to tighten and loosen the bolts. This is much faster and much more convenient than with the supplied tool. Because it is closer, there is interference with the side on the new rack and not on the old rack. Not a big deal obviously, but it is indicative of the brute force approach to making the modification.

I'm interested to see the new version. If it is quicker to add/remove sections and if they are lighter, that will be very interesting to me. I could be persuaded to upgrade but I'd like to see how the company does and see that things go well. My experience working with Cal on v1 was very positive and presuming that holds true, I'd have no problems buying his new rack. The man is a talented designer and was very customer oriented in helping me through issues I had in my particular application.

Don't have to worry about this for a few months until the snow melts. So I'm hopeful we have a new rack on the way - that is good for everyone. Competition is a wonderful thing.

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Just FYI if you're planning availability-- I signed up for email notifications in mid-November. That put me at about 1900 on the list, and per Cal, my order slot is likely to be in March.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    Just FYI if you're planning availability-- I signed up for email notifications in mid-November. That put me at about 1900 on the list, and per Cal, my order slot is likely to be in March.
    I've never owned a rack. Ride from home or take wheel off and put muddy bike back in SUV. I get dealer pricing on Thule, Kuat and Yakima, but this Mach 2 is less money and seems better. But I have to wait until March per Alexdi's post?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    Emailed Cal and just got this response:

"I found you on our list twice. 10/28/17 #1675 and 10/30/17 #1712. Your rack should be available for purchase in February. We will contact you when we get to your name on the list. We have over 2100 on the list so far. Sorry for the delay there is great interest in the new Quik-Rack Mach 2."

aka bOb
    I wonder how many people who put their name in the hat will actually pull the trigger?? Heck I know mine is in there a couple of times under different emails.

Edit: And when you sign up it doesn't even ask what rack you want or how many add-ons. Point is I cant see how people signing up to be notified can really be that accurate??

mtbr member
    Yeah I never even got a response after signing up to verify it.. and based on the March plus for delivery, i just ordered my 1UP rack today and paid more. Oh well it seems like a kickstarter without the updates and i have waited way to long on those or worse.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Version 1 was the original rack designed by Cal and when Cal was in the company. I have one of these racks....
    Were these 1st gen 1up racks that much lighter?
    Quik-Rack Mach 2-inked20161015_144139_li.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    Were these 1st gen 1up racks that much lighter?
    Yes. Haven't weighed it but I'd say it's a significant difference. Just enough heavier that you can't really sling it around the way you could with the original.

I'm going to be in for one of these new racks plus an add on when we hear how they work. This is perfect for a quick set up rack.

J.

MTBR Member
    Just got one of the single bikes in the last couple weeks. Mine weighed in at 26lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    Just got one of the single bikes in the last couple weeks. Mine weighed in at 26lbs.
    Cool.

Which one did you get?

The 1upUSA single 1.25-2" is 23lbs, the super duty 2" single is 28lbs.

How do you like it? Mount fast?

J.

MTBR Member
    It's the single bike 1.25". It is a little over the listed weight.

Works great and mounts fairly quickly -- even with my hitch tucked slightly up under my bumper with the center exhaust.
    Last edited by ncfisherman; 12-18-2017 at 06:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I was originally interested in the new Mach 2 when I heard about it and put my name on the list but after no updates and after the date on the website completely was removed I decided on buying the original. I got the heavy duty single and an add on. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Ipe
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    FWIW - I contacted Cal and got a fairly quick reply.

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Ipe wrote:

Hey There Quick Racks,

I am interested in getting one of your racks. I would like to get a heavy duty rack (2 bikes) with a single bike add on (total of 3 bikes).

My truck has a 2.5" receiver hitch. I have a 2" adapter sleeve to use if necessary. How would your rack handle this setup?

From sites like MTBR.com it looks like you're not shipping until march time frame on a first come first served basis. Please add me to your list.

I look forward to hearing from you with the answer to my questions.

Thanks,
    On Dec 16, 2017 3:02 PM, "Cal Phillips" <quikrackmach2@gmail.com> wrote:

We can provide a 2" to 2.5" adapter if you purchase a 2-Bike HD rack ($419) and 1 Add-On ($169). We are having some made up and will provide one to you. I added you name to the list.

Thanks,

Cal Phillips
    On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Ipe wrote:

Awesome, thanks. Any idea of lead time at this point?
    On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Cal Phillips <quikrackmach2@gmail.com> wrote:

You are #2161 on the list. We hope to have your order ready sometime in March.
    Going with a the current version 1-up would have cost me a ridiculous amount more. Once you add in the accessories that I would have ordered from 1-up their rack would have cost $974. The Quick Rack in the same configuration = $588. I don't know about you, but $386 is nothing to sneeze at. All things considered I'm happy to be on the wait list. There are over 2100 other people on the list ahead of me so that should give them time to work out the kinks. If it doesn't work out with Quick Rack I'll go for the 1-up, either way I should be getting a pretty sick rack.
    IBIS Mojo 3
    Norco Ithaqua 2s

NEMBA

sluice box
    Does Quick-Rack have a facebook page yet? I cannot find anything.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member

Alta racks

Done
    Last edited by Alta Racks; 01-02-2018 at 07:57 PM.
    Military grade products at great prices.
    www.altaracks.com
    Not just a bike rack, but a Life rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Holy hijack batman!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    Holy hijack batman!

Sorry if it came across that way, was not our intention. We like the 1Up two carry system. past two bikes though, vertical is the way to go, in our opinion. If anybody is offended by the post, we will gladly delete it.
    www.altaracks.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta Racks View Post
    Sorry if it came across that way, was not our intention. We like the 1Up two carry system. past two bikes though, vertical is the way to go, in our opinion. If anybody is offended by the post, we will gladly delete it.
    "Offended" is a bit strong but IMHO it just didn't seem the appropriate place to post what you did. This is a thread about the new Quik Rack. You might think of starting your own thread introducing your product.

Big Mac
    It didn’t offend me, but it is beyond unprofessional and kinda dumb.

mtbr member
    How do you delete a post?
    www.altaracks.com

mtbr member
    How do you delete a post?
    You can always just go to "edit post" and delete the text and pictures. Most people do that and just write the word "delete" and then save changes.

mtbr member
    Thank you
    www.altaracks.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    Emailed Cal and just got this response:

"I found you on our list twice. 10/28/17 #1675 and 10/30/17 #1712. Your rack should be available for purchase in February. We will contact you when we get to your name on the list. We have over 2100 on the list so far. Sorry for the delay there is great interest in the new Quik-Rack Mach 2."

Looks like Quik Rack has some production issues and can't keep up with the demand. That is a good problem to have for a company. However, I think I am gonna wait for the updated Inno tire hitch rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Can anyone comment on the actual weight of the Quick Rack Mach 2? The (original) 1Up Quick Rack claims 23 lbs, but comments indicate that it is a bit heavier. Is there a listed claim on the Mach 2's weight? I can only find that they claim it to be 30% lighter than the original 1up version. That would indicate ~7 lbs lighter, but I'd like to know what the actual weight is.

I've had my heart set on a 1up, but the new Mach 2 is intriguing due to the claimed weight reduction. There are a lot of comments about the 1up version being overbuilt. I only need space for 2 bikes (most of the time it will just have 1 on) & I want it to be something that I can easily install on & remove from the car.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkychick View Post
    Can anyone comment on the actual weight of the Quick Rack Mach 2? The (original) 1Up Quick Rack claims 23 lbs, but comments indicate that it is a bit heavier. Is there a listed claim on the Mach 2's weight? I can only find that they claim it to be 30% lighter than the original 1up version. That would indicate ~7 lbs lighter, but I'd like to know what the actual weight is.

I've had my heart set on a 1up, but the new Mach 2 is intriguing due to the claimed weight reduction. There are a lot of comments about the 1up version being overbuilt. I only need space for 2 bikes (most of the time it will just have 1 on) & I want it to be something that I can easily install on & remove from the car.
    Haven't seen anyone post that they have received the Mach 2 yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    ??, Do you want to carry one bike? 23lbs, or a two bike rack 46lbs?
    We have a single on my wife's Jeep and it is easy light. My two place super duty is heavy, but I think all two place tray type are heavy, they have to be because of the leverage of the second bike.
    I like the fact the my Racks are overbuilt. I cannot see a 30% weight reduction and still be strong enough for my use, a 16lb rack?. I would want to see one before I bought one. That's what I did when I bought this rack.

mtbr member
    I plan on purchasing the single rack with a single add on instead of the 2 bike rack. This way when I meet others without bringing someone with me I'll just have the single on my Jeep but add the other when my son rides too. It isn't substantially more money doing it this way (especially compared to the original rack) and I save the weight when just driving myself to a ride.

mtbr member
    Here's a copy of the response I received regarding the Mach 2's weight,
    "The weight of the 1-Bike rack is 19 pounds. The weight of each Add-On is 16 pounds. The 2-Bike HD weight is 29 pounds."

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdude View Post
    Here's a copy of the response I received regarding the Mach 2's weight,
    "The weight of the 1-Bike rack is 19 pounds. The weight of each Add-On is 16 pounds. The 2-Bike HD weight is 29 pounds."
    Thanks so much, that's what I wanted. I think I will wait on the reports when they start coming in regarding how the rack is built. It doesn't sound like it's that much lighter than the original, and that being the case maybe it will be "about right" in terms of not being overbuilt like the reports on the original indicate. And there are some features that I think are intriguing.

Me, I'll only rarely have the attachment on for a second bike. So having it in single mode is what I'm mainly focused on.

Happy Trails
    I have five year old 1Up-USA rack; heavy-duty double-tray with 2" hitch. It's holding up very well. I just simply love it.

I'm spending time between to places now for work and would like to pick up a single-tray rack. I'm tempted to try the new Quick-Rack. I'm also tempted to try a 1-1/4" hitch even though I only have 2-inch receivers .... I normally use/drive my SUV might add a lightweight receiver to our sedan.

What should I do? More specifically ...

Has anyone actually purchased one of Cal's new Quik-Racks yet? How is it? I'm especially interested in hearing from someone who has tried both.

Does anyone with a 1-1/4" rack that usually uses it in a 2" hitch receiver wish they'd gotten the 2" heavier-duty version, or are you pleased with the strength and multipurpose flexibility of the 1-1/4" rack with 2" adapter?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I was waiting for the Mach 2 to go into production but gave up waiting and bought a used Kuat. If these look promising once they get into consumers' hands then I can always sell the Kuat and buy a Mach 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post

Does anyone with a 1-1/4" rack that usually uses it in a 2" hitch receiver wish they'd gotten the 2" heavier-duty version, or are you pleased with the strength and multipurpose flexibility of the 1-1/4" rack with 2" adapter?

Thanks in advance.
    What about a 2" rack into a 2" to 1.25" adapter? https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapt...iABEgIHMPD_BwE

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Has anyone been contacted about availability yet?

Last email I relieved from them said I was #400 on the list and they were hoping for Jan/Feb shipping. Surely 1-200 would have been contacted by now if the racks were indeed going to start shipping this month.

I'm happy to wait but starting to wonder whats up...
    Last edited by Dickbrown; 01-13-2018 at 05:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm spending time between to places now for work and would like to pick up a single-tray rack. I'm tempted to try the new Quick-Rack. I'm also tempted to try a 1-1/4" hitch even though I only have 2-inch receivers .... I normally use/drive my SUV might add a lightweight receiver to our sedan.

I can't speak to the Mach 2, but if you ever want to carry more than 2 bikes on the SUV, you could do what I did...

1-1/4 "adapter with an Add-on (or 2) for the the car and 2" Heavy duty (plus 1 or 2 Add-ons) for the SUV.

Adapter: https://www.1up-usa.com/product/add-on-hitch-adapter/

Only downside is it doesn't fold up on the car, but that didn't bother me because if it was on the car, there was a bike on it.
    --------------

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickbrown View Post
    Has anyone been contacted about availability yet?

Last email I relieved from them said I was #400 on the list and they were hoping for Jan/Feb shipping. Surely 1-200 would have been contacted by now if the racks were indeed going to start shipping this month.

I'm happy to wait but starting to wonder whats up...
    I signed up on the newsletter early in September, & after posting here earlier I contacted Cal. Apparently I am #47 on the list (yay!) but availability is March like everyone else (boo!). So, that would be no. I'm in no hurry, but it makes me wonder if I should buy the original. I worry whether this company will be around to support its product.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I signed up on the newsletter early in September, & after posting here earlier I contacted Cal. Apparently I am #47 on the list (yay!) but availability is March like everyone else (boo!). So, that would be no. I'm in no hurry, but it makes me wonder if I should buy the original. I worry whether this company will be around to support its product.
    Same here. I’m #32 and was told February last time I checked in, which was last month. Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Hoping to hear from people that are receiving these soon. I'd love to support Cal, but it really comes down to whether it is a well made product or not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sosburn View Post
    Hoping to hear from people that are receiving these soon. I'd love to support Cal, but it really comes down to whether it is a well made product or not.
    Why do you want to support Cal?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    just heard from Cal today. I am #1963 and the date is now April. I am ordering the 1up!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    April!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    All done good luck
    Last edited by dezzrat1; 01-15-2018 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

I have a 1 1/4 rack and three trays. I used to have a sedan, but now I have an SUV.

3 bikes on the sedan was too much, and the rack would hit the ground all the time on speed bumps, or going up small hills into a parking lot. The hitch receiver had too much flex, and the rear suspension would sag with all that weight levered off of it. I did it for a couple years, but I don't recommend it. If possible, get a 2 inch hitch for your sedan. Torklift makes them for lots of cars that were never designed for heavy towing. https://torkliftcentral.com/

3 bikes on the 1 1/4 rack on my SUV works great most of the time. But for rough off-road driving I would prefer 2 inch. You could drive off road with one or maybe two bikes on the 1 1/4 hitch no problem, and smooth dirt roads are no problem, but three bikes on rocky dirt roads is a bit much for it. On smooth roads I've had no problems with three bikes on the 1 1/4 rack.

The problem I've been having is that the 1 1/4 to 2 inch adapter attaches with just one small screw. Side-to-side flex of the bike rack works that screw loose no matter how much I tighten it, even if I add thread locker and tighten it to nearly the point of stripping the screw. At that point the aluminum around the head of the screw starts to deform, and then the screw is loose and works itself looser until I have to stop and tighten it. When the screw is loose, theoretically pressure from the ball that holds the rack in pushes the rack into the adapter, but the contact area is rather small, so it's not good at resisting side-to-side motion of the bike rack (rotation of the hitch). I made a sheet metal shim that takes up most of the extra space in the hitch receiver, and that is a huge improvement, but I haven't extensively tested it yet.

If 1up would add a second screw (if it can be done without weakening the rack) and/or make the leg of the L of the adapter longer, that would probably help.

I'll probably upgrade to 2 inch so that I can carry four bikes, and for a bit of extra strength off-road.
    Matt

36 styles of danger
    I'm not an MBA and I don't play one on TV but this doesn't sound like a success story in the make here.

I'm on the list somewhere (late Oct/Nov) but I'm rolling out for a 1up.

mtbr member
    The thing that bothers me most is that he can't even be bothered to email updates. Transparency goes a long way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    A little newsletter explaining the delays and timeframe would be nice.

However, they do get back to you when you email them. Which is something I guess.

In case anyone cares, they emailed me today. March for the #400's. This probably means no one will see anything prior to that.

aka bOb
    Yeah cuz everyone in the bike industry that misses a projected date sends out emails explaining why. Come on people this stuff happens constantly in the bike industry why throw this dude under the bus for being pretty much the norm? That being said I do think the way he is trying to go about it with this email list is kinda crazy. I would say if you need one by a certain date I would look elsewhere. If you are worried about quality, personally I don't have any doubts that this will be a good rack but that is on faith and past track record. As far as being around to service them if there is an issue, dunno??

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Well, when you put it that way... you're kind of right.

I'm in no hurry. I will probably wait until march and am happy to be a Ginnie Pig for the board.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    Why do you want to support Cal?
    i actually met him, a couple years ago. I also like the idea of smaller companies proving successful. Of course, there are generally some set backs with start ups like this, and seeing as i am in need of a rack soon, i may just end up with a 1up. That being said, I hope Cal gets everything together.

mtbr member
    Yeah cuz everyone in the bike industry that misses a projected date sends out emails explaining why. Come on people this stuff happens constantly in the bike industry why throw this dude under the bus for being pretty much the norm? That being said I do think the way he is trying to go about it with this email list is kinda crazy. I would say if you need one by a certain date I would look elsewhere. If you are worried about quality, personally I don't have any doubts that this will be a good rack but that is on faith and past track record. As far as being around to service them if there is an issue, dunno??
    While I agree with your statement from a general standpoint, this person/company is making a single product, has requested people sign up on an email list to buy it, and had an initial deliver date as early December. Also remember, signing up on the list, originally, was specifically stated to receive updates. I have not received a single one. So I don’t think a quick email stating that the date has slipped is unreasonable. If I wasn’t in this thread, I wouldn’t even know I have an additional 2 months to wait (at least) until I can get a rack. That was the initial wait I had when I signed up on the list in October. Regardless, at this point, I am still willing to wait since this slippage is in the winter months the impact on myself is minimal. I hope these are available before prime riding season starts as I think I would buy the “old” version if I can’t get this one. I suspect others may do the same.
    Last edited by Rockadile; 01-15-2018 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect (and fat fingers)

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile View Post
    While I agree with your statement from a general standpoint, this person/company is making a single product, has requested people sign up on an email list to buy it, and had an initial deliver date as early December. Also remember, signing up on the list, originally, was specifically stated to receive updates. I have not received a single one. So I don’t think a quick email stating that the date has slipped is unreasonable. If I wasn’t in this thread, I wouldn’t even know I have an additional 2 months to wait (at least) until I can get a rack. That was the initial wait I had when I signed up on the list in October. Regardless, at this point, I am still willing to wait since this slippage is in the winter months the impact on myself is minimal. I hope these are available before prime riding season starts as I think I would buy the “old” version if I can’t get this one. I suspect others may do the same.
    Yeah I can see your point for sure. I have a feeling I would be a lot less patient if it wasn't winter and I needed one now

Edit: Thinking back I have played this game a few times waiting on small companies to get fat bike frames in that where promised by November and didn't get till January and I was not so patient.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ... signing up on the list, originally, was specifically stated to receive updates. I have not received a single one. ...
    I think that is the main thing. The update emailing list hasn't received a single update.

I wasn't expecting much communication from Cal though. It seems that Cal is good at designing a nice product but may be lacking in basic business operations, like communications. Might be why he partnered during his 1UP USA days. So I've been managing my expectations and when it gets to market, it gets to market. Don't have any money invested like a Kickstarter. Plus I needed a rack when this rack was announced and decided to get a different rack. Still interested in what Cal comes out with and will probably switch when that time comes but don't see the point in waiting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You are #2584 on the list. You will be contacted when the rack is available. We should get to your order sometime in May. Sorry for the delay the manufacture keeps pushing the date back.

For me, personally, I don't care about the Cal vs. 1up vs. dashed version. I do care about cost vs. quality. If I only needed to carry one or two bikes I'd buy the 1up right now. However, I need to carry four bikes....sometimes. I need to carry two bikes almost all the time. I like the quick modularity (is that even a real word?) of the new version so I can pull the extra 2-bike add-on when I don't need it and it's a quick job to put it back on. Regardless, I need to be able to carry four bikes. To do that with 1up it's going to cost me $927. To do that with Quik-Rack it's going to cost me $718. For me, that $209 is a deal breaker....the $718 is already over $200 more than I initially wanted to spend. To get into a decent 4-bike tray that secures on the wheels I'm already at $600 for a Saris Superclamp 4....and just under $700 for the Superclamp EX4 that I'm not in love with either of those at all. For a Thule T2 Classic with an add-on to get me to 4-bike capacity I'm over $700. Kuat is just too pricey to even begin with so it's right there with the 1up. The good news for me, at least as of yesterday afternoon, is that I don't NEED the rack right this second. I can wait until May....or June or maybe even July.

I'm in this whole situation because I've had a truck for over 20 years and last fall I traded it in for a Jeep that I'm in love with. BUT, I lost that quick access bed to put bikes in. I'm borrowing a hitch rack, but it's a PITA to use. It's a Saris something or other that can mount 4-bikes, but it's a top tube hanger type (sorry, I don't know what they're called specifically). With all different styles of mountain bikes with and without suspension it's just a royal pain. I don't want anything clamping the top tube down so it's got to be on the wheels. That leaves, essentially, the most expensive ends of the spectrum of hitch racks.

Being in manufacturing I'm wondering what the hold-up is. It's pure speculation on my part, but I'm thinking that custom extrusion is where that lies. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a whole lot of parts ready to go into assembly but without that extrusion the rest of it isn't going anywhere. Once that's in stock and being machined and anodized it's off to the races. Again, just my speculation.

Sorry for the novel!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Garden View Post
    You are #2584 on the list. You will be contacted when the rack is available. We should get to your order sometime in May. Sorry for the delay the manufacture keeps pushing the date back.

Sorry for the novel!
    Another thing to think about, with the thousands of people signing up for the list, how many will actually buy when their turn comes up? My guess is that there will be a lot of people that signed up and won't purchase for various reasons. This would essentially bump everyone up on the list.

I'm in the same boat. Would like to carry more bikes but don't need at the moment. Plus I currently have a 1.25" receiver and want to upgrade to 2". So ended up getting a good deal on a Yakima Dr Tray to hold me over. Can hold 3 bikes if I need. Plan to sell the rack when my turn for the new Mach 2 comes up.

mtbr member
    I'm still amazed at how long that list is, but maybe I greatly underestimated how many racks 1up sells.

For me, personally, I don't care about the Cal vs. 1up vs. dashed version. I do care about cost vs. quality. If I only needed to carry one or two bikes I'd buy the 1up right now. However, I need to carry four bikes....sometimes. I need to carry two bikes almost all the time. I like the quick modularity (is that even a real word?) of the new version so I can pull the extra 2-bike add-on when I don't need it and it's a quick job to put it back on. Regardless, I need to be able to carry four bikes. To do that with 1up it's going to cost me $927. To do that with Quik-Rack it's going to cost me $718. For me, that $209 is a deal breaker....the $718 is already over $200 more than I initially wanted to spend. To get into a decent 4-bike tray that secures on the wheels I'm already at $600 for a Saris Superclamp 4....and just under $700 for the Superclamp EX4 that I'm not in love with either of those at all. For a Thule T2 Classic with an add-on to get me to 4-bike capacity I'm over $700. Kuat is just too pricey to even begin with so it's right there with the 1up. The good news for me, at least as of yesterday afternoon, is that I don't NEED the rack right this second. I can wait until May....or June or maybe even July.
    I agree that if people can wait to buy a rack, getting the Quick Rack is a much better deal over the 1up since it is not only significantly cheaper but also has many improved features. I am also a big fan of the Saris Superclamp; I actually sold my 2 bike 1up rack for a 2 bike Superclamp (not EX) and it is just as good for a much lower cost. However the 4 bike Superclamp does not separate into a 2 bike rack like the Quick Rack can.

Being in manufacturing I'm wondering what the hold-up is. It's pure speculation on my part, but I'm thinking that custom extrusion is where that lies. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a whole lot of parts ready to go into assembly but without that extrusion the rest of it isn't going anywhere. Once that's in stock and being machined and anodized it's off to the races. Again, just my speculation.
    I think it's just the sheer volume and that it appears Cal started off by himself. To scale up a company to build and sell hundreds if not thousands of racks in 6 months is a major effort.

mtbr member
    I suspect that the number of people on the list do not accurately reflect those waiting to purchase. When the email list was started, it was described as signing up for product updates. I am lower on the list and plan on buying it for many of the reasons previously listed. It appears to be better designed than the existing 1up rack plus it supports fat bikes without the need to pay extra, and it is cheaper to boot. That being said, I don't know that I'll be a guinea pig. I plan on waiting to hear others feedback before purchasing one myself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If that's true, we'll know soon enough. And if he has lots of cancellations then the price will go down.

But I doubt that's the case. He's got a winner in this rack. I want one.

J.

mtbr member
    I suspect that the number of people on the list do not accurately reflect those waiting to purchase. When the email list was started, it was described as signing up for product updates.
    I agree. In the past I did a similar small product launch through email sales, and only about 1/3 of those that emailed me as interested ended up actually buying the product.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    I agree. In the past I did a similar small product launch through email sales, and only about 1/3 of those that emailed me as interested ended up actually buying the product.
    Well, even using those numbers, a third of those buying racks is approaching $300-500K in sales. Pretty good for a small business and just starting out. I remember when I started my business, I would have killed for those kinds of backlog numbers before I essentially started selling anything. Looks to me like he's on his way and he's going to do just fine. Especially good for a one man band.

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've noticed that the web page is regularly updated to say over 2600 on the list as of a few minutes ago. I'm also in agreement that many of those on the list won't buy when the time comes so I'm hoping that once the production issue(s) are sorted out that May time frame for me is bumped up and he's not figuring on a 2/3 back-out rate for that delivery date.

Another thing to note: he says 'the manufacturer keeps pushing back the date' and I'm not sure what to make of that. Is it the manufacturer he contracted to build them having issues/delays or is it a component vendor holding the manufacturer up? Or is the manufacturer honoring a legal stoppage while Cal and 1Up duke it out? Or is it simply none of that at all and they're just not ready to get them to market yet or build them because of scheduling? Oh, the speculations!

Who knows? I just hope somebody gets one soon to show us a real live product! I'd be happy to guinea pig this thing, but being way down the list by the time mine gets here virtually all of you guys that wait it out will already have it.

I have the luxury of time, many likely don't. After a while I may end up getting impatient though and just buy the 1Up instead. I'm kind of waiting to see if once this actually gets going 1Up doesn't make some changes to theirs and drop the price to compete. I get the feeling that 1Up isn't really trying to make their rack better because they have no competition and thus no compelling to do it. This might be just that push they need.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Actually, I was mistaken.....the extrusion in the video is the old one, NOT the new one!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Actually, I was mistaken.....the extrusion in the video is the old one, NOT the new one!
    What is this new extrusion you're talking about?
    I've subscribed to his email list but haven't gotten any emails following the initial confirmation email. Does that mean I'm on the list to buy? If not, what's the link I need to click to get added?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingkk View Post
    What is this new extrusion your talking about?
    I've subscribed to his email list but haven't gotten any emails following the initial confirmation email. Does that mean I'm on the list to buy? If not, what's the link I need to click to get added?

If you've subscribed to his email, then you're on the list. Unfortunately folks have been having to contact Cal directly to get any updates.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingkk View Post
    What is this new extrusion your talking about?

I signed up for the newsletter on 1/23....then I sent an email asking how to get on the list. Cal replied pretty quickly and said I was already on the list as of 1/23, #2584. So it appears if you signed up for the newsletter you're on the list. I see the number (2600) updated any time I click on a 'buy now' button.

Here's the extrusions (new one on top):

Quik-Rack Mach 2-aa.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    here is the latest....i am #1963
    "The Quik Rack Mach 2 won't be available until May or June. You will be contacted when it is available. Sorry for the delay the manufacture keeps pushing the date back.

Thanks you,

Cal Phillips"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    "The Quik Rack Mach 2 won't be available until May or June. You will be contacted when it is available. Sorry for the delay the manufacture keeps pushing the date back.

Thanks you,

Cal Phillips"
    Man, I'm on the wait list but not sure I want to wait that long...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post

Thanks you,

Cal Phillips"
    Oh boy, now we're sliding into prime riding season.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Dang, after thinking about it I really want this one. I like how light it is. For me it's fine - I have a light bike & it's just me, so I don't feel like I need something that's over-engineered & heavier/beefier than it needs to be. But we're getting closer & closer to good weather.

I also saw that Thule came out with a single hitch mount of their own:
    https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...hule-t1-_-9041

But it's listed as being a lot heavier than both the 1-up & Cal's version, plus it doesn't look like you could add a second tray & it doesn't tilt with the bike mounted. So, it's a no-go for me.

I'm actually contemplating this one:
    https://www.saris.com/product/superclamp-ex-2

aka bOb
    Waiting till the middle of may then I'm out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Dang, after thinking about it I really want this one. I like how light it is. For me it's fine - I have a light bike & it's just me, so I don't feel like I need something that's over-engineered & heavier/beefier than it needs to be. But we're getting closer & closer to good weather.

I also saw that Thule came out with a single hitch mount of their own:
    https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...hule-t1-_-9041

But it's listed as being a lot heavier than both the 1-up & Cal's version, plus it doesn't look like you could add a second tray & it doesn't tilt with the bike mounted. So, it's a no-go for me.

I have had a Thule, I didn't like it at all. The Saris looks okay but they still look like a lot of plastic. I recommend buying a 1up or a quick rack when they come out. They have a lot of fan's for a reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Waiting till the middle of may then I'm out.
    The date keeps getting pushed back and it looks like nobody is going to see a Mach 2 until "May or June" so that doesn't even sound like it's not going to be pushed back further yet again considering it's gone from December to January to February to March to April to May and now June. Next month it'll be July?

I want the Mach 2 over the original and I don't need it right this second. Good for me. I'm also squirreling away cash for the anticipated shipping in May. At the rate I'm going I'll be able to have a 1Up in May (when the Mach 2 is getting pushed back yet again) and I won't even realize the price difference that was such a hang-up to me in the beginning at that point!

mtbr member
    This is my favorite rack right now. I have a Superclamp 2 (non EX version) and most of the cons have been addressed with the EX model. The only downside vs a 1up or Quick rack is that it takes a few seconds longer to take it on and off the car, but this is hardly a deal breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    I have had a Thule, I didn't like it at all. The Saris looks okay but they still look like a lot of plastic. I recommend buying a 1up or a quick rack when they come out. They have a lot of fan's for a reason.
    I had a 1up rack, and now have a Saris Superclamp 2. Yes the Saris uses plastic, but that doesn't make it any less sturdy and it actually holds the bikes more securely than the 1up does.
    The 1up rack has too many things I don't like about it for how expensive it is. The Quick Rack addresses nearly all of those issues and is cheaper. I would not recommend anyone buy a 1up rack at this point.

I'm not surprised the Quick Rack is delayed and taking longer than expected to start shipping. There are always delays when working with outside vendors to build new products. I worked on a project last summer where we had a vendor building the main components of our system promise us a 3-4 week lead time, and it turned into nearly 3 months.

aka bOb
    I'm also squirreling away cash for the anticipated shipping in May. At the rate I'm going I'll be able to have a 1Up in May (when the Mach 2 is getting pushed back yet again) and I won't even realize the price difference that was such a hang-up to me in the beginning at that point!
    Funny I've been doing the same thing. Finally put my high school diploma to good use that has been sitting in the kitchen cabinet for some reason that I can't remember why, so far I have about $500 stuck in it for the mach 2 or whatever rack I can get when the mach 2 doesn't become available for this riding season. Sould have a another $300 stuck in it by May

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    This is my favorite rack right now. I have a Superclamp 2 (non EX version) and most of the cons have been addressed with the EX model. The only downside vs a 1up or Quick rack is that it takes a few seconds longer to take it on and off the car, but this is hardly a deal breaker for me.
    I think that my only hesitation at getting the Superclamp EX is that I would like the option to just have a single tray assembly installed since most of the time it will just be me. The Quick Rack is so much lighter with just one tray on, & with a second tray it looks like it's about the same as the Superclamp EX. Between that & the way it folds up, it would be very easy to pop it off at the trail & put it in the trunk. So at the same price point, I think that I'd really prefer the Quick Rack. But....if I could get the Superclamp for a good price somewhere, I'd probably be happy with it.
    Last edited by hawkychick; 02-10-2018 at 10:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    For me, the QR's ace in the hole is that it wouldn't look silly on the back of my car. I never remove my rack. The Thule, Saris, and almost every other rack have an industrial aesthetic that's more at home on SUVs, or they just look cheap from all the plastic. Vain, maybe, but for $400-whatever, I'm going to be. All of these racks surpass my functional needs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Update: I contacted Cal over the weekend to find out if there is an update on the timeframe. I'm #47 on the list, & he's saying that they're "still pushing for March, but are running behind because of the manufacturer." So, I'm going to wait this out for a bit I think.

Rocky Mounts has a model called the Monorail Solo coming out around the same time that you can add a second tray to (I emailed them to check on the time frame & they're saying March). So worst case this buys me some time for these vendors to get their products to market.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sweet that you’re 47th. Can’t believe I’m in the high 2000s

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Rocky Mounts has a model called the Monorail Solo coming out around the same time that you can add a second tray to (I emailed them to check on the time frame & they're saying March). So worst case this buys me some time for these vendors to get their products to market.
    I've never been clear on how the Rocky Mounts load arm is supposed to be positioned... is it supposed to touch the fork, or be just shy of the fork?
    --------------

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    I've never been clear on how the Rocky Mounts load arm is supposed to be positioned... is it supposed to touch the fork, or be just shy of the fork?
    I don't think any of these type racks are supposed to touch the fork, just the tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I don't think any of these type racks are supposed to touch the fork, just the tire.
    Not true. ALL of the front wheel clamp style racks require you to cinch the hook into the fork in order to be properly secured. The Superclamp, and 1up are ONLY tire contact. A huge benefit that I think goes mostly unnoticed. After my NV wore through the rubber cover on the hook, it started rubbing the finish off of my fork crown. I was pissed. I've seen them "properly" set up so that they contact rim brake arms, which is sketchy. I made the switch to a Superclamp and haven't looked back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginepiece View Post
    Not true. ALL of the front wheel clamp style racks require you to cinch the hook into the fork in order to be properly secured. The Superclamp, and 1up are ONLY tire contact. A huge benefit that I think goes mostly unnoticed. After my NV wore through the rubber cover on the hook, it started rubbing the finish off of my fork crown. I was pissed. I've seen them "properly" set up so that they contact rim brake arms, which is sketchy. I made the switch to a Superclamp and haven't looked back.
    I've not used any of these tray style racks, but in my research settling on this new Mach 2 rack I've read pretty much every major players literature and they all say 'minimal distance in front of the fork' or some other similar verbiage. That includes at least Thule, Kuat, Rocky Mounts and Hollywood that I've confirmed just today because of your post.

That said, I'm not trying to argue but the manufacturers seem to state otherwise....and as a consumer who is looking at these types of racks it can't be both ways so which one is correct?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've not used any of these tray style racks, but in my research settling on this new Mach 2 rack I've read pretty much every major players literature and they all say 'minimal distance in front of the fork' or some other similar verbiage. That includes at least Thule, Kuat, Rocky Mounts and Hollywood that I've confirmed just today because of your post.

That said, I'm not trying to argue but the manufacturers seem to state otherwise....and as a consumer who is looking at these types of racks it can't be both ways so which one is correct?
    In order to get the hook style to hold the wheel, you need to be at or over the peak height of the wheel towards the fork. In a practical sense, that leaves very little room to the fork for a lot of bikes. This is a problem for the reasons you suggest and it isn't hard to cause the hook to touch the fork. I have problems with any rack touching the frame of my bike. It's pretty easy to do damage that would be worth the cost of the rack.

I do have a RockMounts Brass Knuckles roof rack that uses the same hook system. I've had some trouble getting it to work well with my road bike. I'm probably going to sell both of them and get the new Mach 2 roof version.

The racks that hold the tires only are great. I have the original 1UpUSA that Cal designed and I have a 1UpUSA rack from a season and a half ago. That rack design where the tires are held and there is no frame contact has worked super well for me over the 13 years I've owned one.

That said, I really like the idea of a fast rack attachment. My car is a BMW 3 series with an Invisihitch. I take the rack and receiver off as soon as I'm done with the bike transport and this would make that so-o-o-o much easier. I'm probably going to go in on one of these sometime this season. Much better design than needing the security allen wrench.

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginepiece View Post
    I've been using my T2 for years and NEVER had the clamp touching the fork. Bike is secure.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

I understand why rack manufacturers would say that they don't require fork or brake contact. Who would knowingly want that rubbing away on their expensive bike for any period of time? Having owned the NV for a few years and used a T2, and T2 Pro, I can say that while it may SEEM like you can successfully secure the front wheel by simply clamping above the 12 o'clock position the arm that the hook is attached to is free to rotate towards the bike (i.e., into the fork crown, or first hard bit of bike) unless locked against something hard. In other words, you CAN cinch the hook onto the tire without contacting the fork, but you can then simply rotate the whole clamping arm toward the bike resulting in a loose bike. If the rack companies are claiming that you don't need to wedge the hook into the actual bike, than they are asking you to rely solely on friction to secure your bike to the rack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I've been using my T2 for years and NEVER had the clamp touching the fork. Bike is secure.
    Next time you load your bike, see what happens when you push the hook arm towards the bike. If you are running some huge knobbies, or really low PSI it's not as easy, but I guarantee you that you will release the hook from its grip on your wheel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast