Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2018
    I donít think I agree.

As everyone knows, Cal is the original designer and engineer, so heís not introducing a new product. He knows that once it launches it will become the premier bike rack on the market (a fact that 1Up seems to be in denial about).

All these are reasons I would be going after deposits, working cash flow to move things along.

Like others have said, call it funding a kickstarter if you want, but youíd really be investing in a product thatís already proven to be a market changer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    I donít think I agree.

As everyone knows, Cal is the original designer and engineer, so heís not introducing a new product. He knows that once it launches it will become the premier bike rack on the market (a fact that 1Up seems to be in denial about).

All these are reasons I would be going after deposits, working cash flow to move things along.

Like others have said, call it funding a kickstarter if you want, but youíd really be investing in a product thatís already proven to be a market changer.
    you would be taking a significant risk by putting down a deposit for a track record of delay and non-deliverability. but it is a free country and if you wish to call that investment thatís cool, too.

at the end of the day, time and the market will not be cheated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    People do this all the time. Is there a risk? Of course. Is the risk significant? In this particular case, not in my opinion. But thatís a subjective question that falls on the individual and his or her own comfort level.

If a person has already decided that this improved product (I was going to say new product, but it isnít a new product at all) is worth waiting for and wanted to secure their place in line when known demand is high, then a deposit/early investment only makes sense.

But I guess youíre kind of proving my point. It seems as though Cal considers that those on his newsletter list are already customers and that he has 3,500+ orders to fill already. The fallacy in that thought is that signing up for a newsletter is risk free. When it comes down to it and production begins, the actual list of people ready to buy may be much a smaller because signing up for a newsletter cost a person nothing, and when Cal starts down the list asking for actual orders, people can say, ďno thanksĒ or ďI already bought something elseĒ without risking a dime.

If he reached out to everyone on the list and requested that they pay a deposit to secure their place in line, he would know exactly how many orders he would initially need to fill, and people would know exactly where they are in line. Itís win-win for both.

This is how business is done when a new product, or in this case, an improved product not yet in production comes to market. It lets manufacturers, and consumers, know real numbers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    People do this all the time. Is there a risk? Of course. Is the risk significant? In this particular case, not in my opinion. But thatís a subjective question that falls on the individual and his or her own comfort level.

If a person has already decided that this improved product (I was going to say new product, but it isnít a new product at all) is worth waiting for and wanted to secure their place in line when known demand is high, then a deposit/early investment only makes sense.

But I guess youíre kind of proving my point. It seems as though Cal considers that those on his newsletter list are already customers and that he has 3,500+ orders to fill already. The fallacy in that thought is that signing up for a newsletter is risk free. When it comes down to it and production begins, the actual list of people ready to buy may be much a smaller because signing up for a newsletter cost a person nothing, and when Cal starts down the list asking for actual orders, people can say, ďno thanksĒ or ďI already bought something elseĒ without risking a dime.

If he reached out to everyone on the list and requested that they pay a deposit to secure their place in line, he would know exactly how many orders he would initially need to fill, and people would know exactly where they are in line. Itís win-win for both.

This is how business is done when a new product, or in this case, an improved product not yet in production comes to market. It lets manufacturers, and consumers, know real numbers.
    There is another thread on MTBR where a guy has come up with a suspension design and has started a new bike company. I believe it is called Tantrum Cycles.

He is constantly in touch with people providing updates in that thread. I do not recall specifically what he asked for a deposit, but maybe he still seeks a deposit, who knows?

He is delivering new bikes that he designed to happy customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have said many times there is not an accurate gauge of how many of those people on the list are actual buyers. Many may have already bought while others want a double and some, like myself, want a 4-bike setup.

I might be willing to put a deposit down but not at this stage. There has been a serious lack of communication and too much date shifting at this point. Once people started receiving their racks, I would be more willing to put a deposit down. I tend not to be a conspiracy theorist but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that you are a new member and your first three posts are feelers for deposits for the rack. Are you associated with Cal?
    Last edited by Rockadile; 05-03-2018 at 06:21 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile View Post
    I would be remiss if I didn't point out that you are a new member and your first three posts are feelers for deposits for the rack. Are you associated with Cal?
    Fair question!

But no, Iím just a guy that was seconds away from placing an order from 1Up just a couple weeks ago when I wanted to see one more video review of the Quik Rack. The first video to pop up in my search was Calís comparison of Old vs. New. So I stopped right there and started doing some research on the Mach 2. That research brought me to these forums and plethora of information on 1Up, Cal, and the Mach 2.

My communication with Cal has been top knotch and complete. I sent him an extremely long and detailed e-mail asking specific questions about his design improvements and potential flaws or limitations I had spotted in his video and updated photos. Within 24 hours, he has replied completely and with as much detail and specificity as I had originally asked. His responses also calmed my concerns. I followed up with a couple additional questions and again had a response the following morning (within 24 hours).

When I compared these reponses to the response I got to an e-mail I sent to 1Up; (details of which I may share at a later date) I then made the decision that I will wait for the Mach 2, at this point as long as it takes.

For these reasons, Iím really wanting to know more precisely where I am in line, and Iím willing to pay a deposit to do so.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Many may have already bought while others want a double and some, like myself, want a 4-bike setup.
    Great point that I hadnít considered! Not everyone is going to want a single Quik Rack with 1 Add-on (like me!).

His product line is rather big and who knows which racks will make it to market first: entire line, or just the single Quik Rack Mach 2.0; thatís convertible between 1.25Ē and 2Ē receivers.

Time might tell, but so could another e-mail to Cal...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Great point that I hadnít considered! Not everyone is going to want a single Quik Rack with 1 Add-on (like me!).

His product line is rather big and who knows which racks will make it to market first: entire line, or just the single Quik Rack Mach 2.0; thatís convertible between 1.25Ē and 2Ē receivers.

Time might tell, but so could another e-mail to Cal...
    Would be interesting to see what the plan of attack is for release. Myself, I'm wanting a Heavy Duty Single with an Add-on (or 2).

Since I anticipated delays, I bought a Dr Tray back around December with the plans of selling it when the Mach 2 arrives. Gotten a lot of use out of it, haha.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    ...others want a double and some, like myself, want a 4-bike setup.
    So, after a 'quik' review of Cal's website, it appears there will NOT be a 2 bike rack or 2 bike add-on option; as everything will be a single rack with single add-ons:

"Because of this new stronger design, it is unnecessary to offer the heavy-duty 2 bike system or the 2 bike add-on.

Because of the new trays and mount design, all of the Quik-Rack Mach 2 bicycle carriers are considered HEAVY-DUTY"

https://www.quikrack.com/quik-rack-mach-2-bike-rack/

To get to a 4 bike set-up, you'll have to buy a single rack and then 3 add-ons.

"Weight limits for the 1-1/4 inch receiver are 120 lbs and 4 bikes maximum.
    Weight limits for the 2 inch receiver are 200 lbs and 4 bikes maximum."

Interestingly, I just spotted the note above that the new maximum weight for the Mach 2.0 is actually less than the original. Although it states you can now have up to 4 bikes on a 1.25" receiver, you can only put up to 120 pounds on that rack. The original only allowed 3 racks on the 1.25" receiver, but allowed up to 150 pounds.

"Total carrying capacity of up to 150 lb. (50 lb. per bike spot)"
    https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-rack-single/

I realize that that's 4 bikes up to 30 lbs each, and 30 pound mountain bikes are becoming less common, but it's something to think about as the overall maximum weight limit has apparently been decreased.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
    Would be interesting to see what the plan of attack is for release. Myself, I'm wanting a Heavy Duty Single with an Add-on (or 2).
    The plan of attack seems to be that there won't be a 2 bike rack or 2 add-on option. It appears everything will be single rack with single add-ons; up to 4 bikes, but with a lower overall max weight capacity on the 1.25" option.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The plan of attack seems to be that there won't be a 2 bike rack or 2 add-on option. It appears everything will be single rack with single add-ons; up to 4 bikes, but with a lower max overall max weight capacity on the 1.25" option.
    Right, that is what I see as well. My debate is whether I want to get two single add-ons for a total bike carry capability of three bikes. Want to be able to carry at least three bikes eventually.

Wanted that capability with the Dr Tray but my current daily driver only has a class I hitch which flexes with only two bikes loaded. Bought another vehicle which has a class IV hitch and will eventually replace my current daily driver. Should be up to snuff for carrying four bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Glad I only want a single rack with a single add-on!

For now...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Glad I only want a single rack with a single add-on!

For now...

Saw your ninja edit. Another factor to consider, Cal is saying he will provide locks. Rack lock, add-on lock, and bike locks add up.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Saw your ninja edit.

Big Mac
    I have said many times there is not an accurate gauge of how many of those people on the list are actual buyers. Many may have already bought while others want a double and some, like myself, want a 4-bike setup.

I might be willing to put a deposit down but not at this stage. There has been a serious lack of communication and too much date shifting at this point. Once people started receiving their racks, I would be more willing to put a deposit down. I tend not to be a conspiracy theorist but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that you are a new member and your first three posts are feelers for deposits for the rack. Are you associated with Cal?
    I thought the same thing. Actually, I thought he might BE Cal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I tend not to be a conspiracy theorist but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that you are a new member and your first three posts are feelers for deposits for the rack. Are you associated with Cal?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I thought the same thing. Actually, I thought he might BE Cal.
    If there is one thing that proves that KSTAV8R is not Cal, it is that KSTAV8R is communicating way too much to be Cal. I think he is just a little excited to get the new rack and is trying to gauge where he really stands in line for the new rack.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I think he is just a little excited to get the new rack and is trying to gauge where he really stands in line for the new rack.
    And I think you may be on to something!

Just hoping I might see it before Christmas!

What number is everyone on the list?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I signed up in December. I don't know what number I am on the list and need to get my name removed. When the delivery date for production went from January to Feb, then to June (and now even later) I jumped ship and bought a single 1Up. Riding season was starting and I couldn't wait any longer. I'm happy I didn't wait and love the rack. Did I like the cost? No, but I have a rack instead of waiting for some promise of a product that might be produced, sometime in the future.

mtbr member
    I was told on 10/28 I was #1675. I contacted Cal on April 6th with a few questions one of them being if I would have a rack in June. I plan on getting a single with possibly 2 single add ons. He said, "For your place on the list June will not be likely, sorry."

Big Mac
    And I think you may be on to something!

Just hoping I might see it before Christmas!

What number is everyone on the list?
    What, specifically, is it about this rack that you are willing to wait for, and even pay for, and may never even materialize, that youíre so impressed with? Serious question.

mtbr member
    What, specifically, is it about this rack that you are willing to wait for, and even pay for, and may never even materialize, that youíre so impressed with? Serious question.

In my case, I already have a rack. I was looking to upgrade to a 1UP when I stumbled across this rack. Since I have a rack I donít need it immediately. The main reason I am willing to wait for this over the existing 1UP rack is that this is cheaper AND accepts fat bikes (which is an additional up charge for the 1UP which makes it even cheaper still for me). Also, some issues with the original 1UP design will be addressed, as well, which is just a bonus. Iíve said it before but if 1UP would lower their pricing a bit, I am sure they would take a bunch of customers off of Calís list. Yet they refuse. I understand that since Cal isnít selling these yet they really have no reason to discount their product. However, once he does start selling, I think itíll be too late for them. Just my opinion, of course. They could totally take the wind out of his sails. And if he never goes to market, I guess 1UP ďwinsĒ.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    The QR1 is a flexible, low-profile rack with a machined aesthetic. The QR2 improves on the QR1 and will cost less. Isn't that enough?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    If it isnít clear already, Cal designed the best rack on the market: the original Quik Rack. He has now improved his design into a second generation that will cost less than the original.

So the best rack is now better, and at a lower price.

Why wouldnít I wait?!?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    The QR1 is a flexible, low-profile rack with a machined aesthetic. The QR2 improves on the QR1 and will cost less. Isn't that enough?
    It most definitely would be, if it were available.

Big Mac
    If it isnít clear already, Cal designed the best rack on the market: the original Quik Rack. He has now improved his design into a second generation that will cost less than the original.

So the best rack is now better, and at a lower price.

Why wouldnít I wait?!?
    I can only speak for myself, as to why I didnít wait. The improvements, in my mind, didnít justify it, and the original rack was awesome AND available. The price on the new version is nice, but again, not actually available. If you donít need a rack now, or in the foreseeable future, sure, why not. It I donít think thatís most people. Not to mention Cals inabilities in the communication realm, well, thatís scary.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I can only speak for myself, as to why I didnít wait. The improvements, in my mind, didnít justify it, and the original rack was awesome AND available. The price on the new version is nice, but again, not actually available. If you donít need a rack now, or in the foreseeable future, sure, why not. It I donít think thatís most people. Not to mention Cals inabilities in the communication realm, well, thatís scary.
    As I mentioned in other posts, Calís communication with me have been nothing less than stellar. Always quick to respond and very thorough.

I do need a Rack right now, as I also mentioned in a previous post that I was only seconds away from ordering one from 1Up when I found the Mach 2.

I suppose the fact that Iíve been without a rack for a long time makes it easier to wait, but thatís beside the point.

The Mach 2 is coming to market, itís just a matter of time. And as bad as I want a rack, I have patience enough to wait.

Who paid $700 for a first generation iPhone, AFTER the second generation had been announced with improvements and a price tag of only $600?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I donít think thatís most people.
    Amazonís 2 day shipping has ruined a lot of peopleís patience...

Great things come to this who wait, and Iíll have extra cash in my pocket.

I actually hope youíre right, and that when the Mach 2 starts shipping most of the 3,500 people Ďin front of me in the listí fall into your ďmost peopleĒ generalization and gave up waiting. For every one that does, I move up a spot on the list!

mtbr member

Clearly, we are all well aware that the rack isn't available yet. Many are willing to wait. In my last post, I neglected another reason I am waiting, perhaps one of the most important. At the price point of these racks, my hope was that it would be the last rack I would need to buy. Upon discovering the Quik-Rack Mach 2, I was thinking that, since this was the last rack I might ever buy, why would I buy the old model when I could have the improved model? I would much rather wait and get an updated/improved version.

mtbr member
    Hey gang,

Just found this thread and signed up for the newsletter. I haven't read the entire thread but I did a thread search for "color" and got no hits so my apologies in advance if this has been discussed.

Living in Florida, I can envision that black aluminum getting quite hot under the summer
    sun. I emailed Cal and asked him to consider the option of continuing the aluminum color with the Mach2. Plus, his explanation for employing the black...hiding tire marks...is a non-issue IMHO.

What say you?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
    What say you?
    Personally, I like the all aluminum, but the 2-tone with black doesnít bother me at all.

Most bike racks are black.

Big Mac
    Amazonís 2 day shipping has ruined a lot of peopleís patience...

Great things come to this who wait, and Iíll have extra cash in my pocket.

I actually hope youíre right, and that when the Mach 2 starts shipping most of the 3,500 people Ďin front of me in the listí fall into your ďmost peopleĒ generalization and gave up waiting. For every one that does, I move up a spot on the list!
    Thatís not really what I meant. A few days, a week, or even a month, is one thing, but a year? Thatís a different situation. Most folks, myself included, look for a rack when they need it. I wasnít predicting my future needs for 2019. Had the new version been available, I absolutely would have bought one. However, it was not, and is not, so last December, I bought a one up. Couldnít be happier. I hope yíall get your racks sooner than later.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thatís not really what I meant. A few days, a week, or even a month, is one thing, but a year? Thatís a different situation. Most folks, myself included, look for a rack when they need it. I wasnít predicting my future needs for 2019. Had the new version been available, I absolutely would have bought one. However, it was not, and is not, so last December, I bought a one up. Couldnít be happier. I hope yíall get your racks sooner than later.
    I understand.

Iíve been without a rack for a couple years now, and have sufficed. When I found myself ready to buy a rack I wanted the best, so I was ready to buy a Quik Rack from 1Up.

Is it the best currently available for immediate purchase? Yes; but it has been revised by the original designer and engineer; and when it drops into the market the Mach 2 will better and significantly more affordable.

I can manage for 6 or 7 months, maybe longer, as Iím not hurting for a rack.

mtbr member
    Everybody keeps talking about "improvements" but quite frankly, I'm not sure all of the changes are actually improvements. Obviously, others don't agree. I don't remember my number on Cal's list but I'm low enough to be in the 1st wave of racks....and I already have a 1Up at this point.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Even though there hasn't been as much public communications as some would like, Cal responded quickly when I emailed him.

The reason I haven't purchased a 1UP is that the Mach 2 does seem to have signicant improvements and the overall cost when factoring in carrying 3+ bikes and locks was really high compared to the Mach 2. I could get a Yakima Dr Tray on sale for half the price of the 1UP. So ended up getting the Dr Tray to hold me over until the Mach 2 is released.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    this is not a criticism just pointing out the reality that the most significant improvement of Quick Rak 2 is the price. No debating that.

But for many 1Up owners like me the so called other improvements are meh.

Today I travelled with 3 bikes on a 1Up. It is the heavy duty 2Ē version. It was easy. Highway speeds at 70 mph and I marked the insert pointówithout a thread I managed to make it there with zero movement.

Last weekend I drove about 700 miles round trip with my 1Up to the border of WV/ VA. I checked it a few times and could not budge it a mm with the wrench. Go figure.

Despite using the 1Up locks and leaving the car unattended at two stops my bikes were not stolen.

Still, today was a great test of about 90 pounds of bike hanging off 3 racks. I averaged 70 mph on highway and the wrench did not move a mm. Go figure.

Sure, if U can buy the same quality at a much lower price I am all in. But I have put this thing though the paces and it is damn good. I wonder if 1up had not gotten involved whether this product would exist?

You all can tell us if quick rack 2 starts hitting the market 2 years from now. through Yakima or Thule or someone else who produces. Iíll probably have a new vehicle and be in the market then.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Designed, engineered and improved by the original patent holder; so Iím fully expecting the rack to be as good, if not better than the original.

Add these second generational improvements to a significantly lower price and why wouldnít I wait?

mtbr member
    Designed, engineered and improved by the original patent holder; so Iím fully expecting the rack to be as good, if not better than the original.

Add these second generational improvements to a significantly lower price and why wouldnít I wait?
    I'm with you. Don't need one currently but want one eventually so I will wait too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Why wouldn't you? I can't speak for you, but I am interested in getting this rack (as in- I have a new vehicle and am going from roof top tray to hitch mount, so I NEED a new rack) but... I NEED a rack. Now. "New & Improved" is wonderful, "Unavailable" isn't. There will ALWAYS be a 'newer' and 'better' product on it's way, waiting for the final 'best' just means you never have what you want/ need. I'm not going to sit around waiting because it's a freakin' bike rack, not a wife. It doesn't have to be perfect and it probably (certainly) won't be the last. (for me). You aren't wrong to wait, but it's wrong for me.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebike View Post
    Why wouldn't you? I can't speak for you, but I am interested in getting this rack (as in- I have a new vehicle and am going from roof top tray to hitch mount, so I NEED a new rack) but... I NEED a rack. Now. "New & Improved" is wonderful, "Unavailable" isn't. There will ALWAYS be a 'newer' and 'better' product on it's way, waiting for the final 'best' just means you never have what you want/ need. I'm not going to sit around waiting because it's a freakin' bike rack, not a wife. It doesn't have to be perfect and it probably (certainly) won't be the last. (for me). You aren't wrong to wait, but it's wrong for me.
    Which is why I said ďIĒ...

Not, Ďwhy wouldnít YOU wait?í.

Have you read my previous posts? I gave 1Up an opportunity to earn my business, and they gave me as much attitude and negative criticism as Iím starting to get here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Which is why I said ďIĒ...

Not, Ďwhy wouldnít YOU wait?í.

Have you read my previous posts? I gave 1Up an opportunity to earn my business, and they gave me as much attitude and negative criticism as Iím starting to get here.
    The thread is entertaining. I mean you have gems like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    you would be taking a significant risk by putting down a deposit for a track record of delay and non-deliverability. but it is a free country and if you wish to call that investment thatís cool, too.
    at the end of the day, time and the market will not be cheated.
    So far the track record is designing and bringing to market one of the most popular racks out there. Went against the big boys and has people willing to pay more for his.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Good news from Cal for those wanting a 2nd gen. with the all aluminum color...he will make it available upon request.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
    Good news from Cal for those wanting a 2nd gen. with the all aluminum color...he will make it available upon request.
    That is good that he can still accommodate customer's color wants.

I'm still going to elect for the two tone though. I'm in the Sunshine State as well and my current bike rack is black. I've only had it since the winter so haven't tested it in the summer sun but don't anticipate any issues as there are a lot of black racks in Florida. My bike rack sits on the back of my car during work and my biggest concern is direct UV exposure of the rubber and composite bike components. To mitigate this issue, I cover the bike while at work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    So, after a 'quik' review of Cal's website, it appears there will NOT be a 2 bike rack or 2 bike add-on option; as everything will be a single rack with single add-ons:
    didn't read entire thread, but here's what I ran into

The 2-Bike Heavy-Duty Quik-Rack Mach 2 is $419. The new 2-Bike Add-On is $299. Price is the same no matter what color you choose, black or silver. Free shipping within the continental U.S.A. on everything we sell.

Source: https://www.quikrack.com/support/faq/
    -I don't like my username.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MovinUp View Post

The 2-Bike Heavy-Duty Quik-Rack Mach 2 is $419. The new 2-Bike Add-On is $299. Price is the same no matter what color you choose, black or silver. Free shipping within the continental U.S.A. on everything we sell.

I think that is the old information. On the product page you will find the text KSTAV8R mentioned which stated they are selling the trays as singles.

Though it is still (currently) cheaper than the 1UP, it appears to have gone up in price. Originally, a 2-bike setup was $419, now it is $438. A 4-bike setup was $718, now it is $776.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MovinUp View Post

Quoting an e-mail from Cal:

ďWe will be selling only 1 bike racks, and 1 bike add-ons.Ē

Also, from his website:

ďBecause of this new stronger design, it is unnecessary to offer the heavy-duty 2 bike system or the 2 bike add-on.Ē

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks guys, I saw that too but thought there's potential there is a configuration possibly not listed on the products page that I ran into elsewhere, since pricing was slightly different and it basically specifically identified how to piece together a 4 bike rack.

Ok well it's up to them, either way at this point seems the divorce isn't good for anyone but I'm not about to get into this.

cheers.
    -I don't like my username.

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007

"Because of this new stronger design, it is unnecessary to offer the heavy-duty 2 bike system or the 2 bike add-on.

Because of the new trays and mount design, all of the Quik-Rack Mach 2 bicycle carriers are considered HEAVY-DUTY"

To get to a 4 bike set-up, you'll have to buy a single rack and then 3 add-ons.

"Weight limits for the 1-1/4 inch receiver are 120 lbs and 4 bikes maximum.
    Weight limits for the 2 inch receiver are 200 lbs and 4 bikes maximum."

Interestingly, I just spotted the note above that the new maximum weight for the Mach 2.0 is actually less than the original. Although it states you can now have up to 4 bikes on a 1.25" receiver, you can only put up to 120 pounds on that rack. The original only allowed 3 racks on the 1.25" receiver, but allowed up to 150 pounds.
    I would not hesitate to put 150 lbs worth of bikes on a 3 rack arrangement. That is going to exert less bending on the hitch than 120 lbs in a longer, 4 bike configuration.

I like that the 1 1/4" hitch can do 4 bikes now. It probably always could, but if it is now certified for 4 bikes @ 30 lbs each (max), I'm happier than before. I have one vehicle with a 1 1/4" hitch, and one with a 2" hitch. I can see needing to move 4 bikes in the future.

"Total carrying capacity of up to 150 lb. (50 lb. per bike spot)"
    https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-rack-single/

I realize that that's 4 bikes up to 30 lbs each, and 30 pound mountain bikes are becoming less common, but it's something to think about as the overall maximum weight limit has apparently been decreased.
    Check with Cal, but I see no reason why three 50 lb bikes would not work. My interpretation is only that four 50 lb bikes will not work.

mtbr member
    So who is waiting and who is getting the original 1-Up now?

Iím in need of a 4 place rack and like the updates and lower price of the Quik Rack version, but I really donít want to use my Swagman Quad 2+2 for another season. It works ok, but it isnít ideal with carbon frames and if it isnít tight enough, the frame wiggles causing a wear mark in the top tube. So do I drop the $950 now, or wait and hopefully get the Quik-Rack for $775?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I for one have abandoned ship for now on this one. Been waiting for a while since I already had Kuat NV2 I had for years, as well as Inno INH-305 (same type as quick racks... with add on I put in so it is 3 bike setup for that).
    Reason for wait was Kuat NV2 clamps on my rim brake which I didn't enjoy too much... and INH-305 does everything nicely but bit heavy and more of look issue.
    I got tired enough I ended up grabbing single Quick Rack for time being to replace the NV2 portion of story...
    The design improvement mentioned on mach2 that is noteworthy for me from using quite a few racks with different bike setups that still applies I think are
    1) easy-access pivot bar - INH-350 already has it and makes it so much more usable than other racks on this account if you have hatchback.
    2) tool-less wheel spool adjustment - Which rack in market other than quick rack doesn't let you? Yup... Mach 2 is fixing the deficiency in this case really.
    3) auto-tray lock design - Definitely has been noticing this making it forced 2 hand use on QR... INH-305 doesn't need to. I feel much better when opening up while holding bike with one hand... not so much on QR.
    These are the features I am really looking for in Mach 2 vs current QR. Quite frankly other than the fact I can use it as solo rack and convert easy (that way I can open hatch without tilting the rack around most of time), I would have been happier with another INH-305. I think Mach 2 is good replacement for my INH-305 and even more so after using QR.
    One concern I have is the fact INNO is supposed to come out with their new hitch rack like INH-305 (right now it is discontinued model) sometime this year... but not sure what it will look like or weight as well as modular nature of it which I really like on QR series...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There were 20 1UPUSA racks at the trailhead today. Over 80% of the racks were 1UP.

I personally love mine and don't see any of the improvements as useful.

Sure there are some improvements I would make but I'm sure there would be improvements I would have for this vaporware too.

mtbr member
    Well I donít feel like waiting and I got the 1-Up version. Well I ordered it today anyway. Iím sure the new one will be nice and have improvements, but Iím in the market now. I think the endless reasons for delays is rather discouraging too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    Well I donít feel like waiting and I got the 1-Up version. Well I ordered it today anyway. Iím sure the new one will be nice and have improvements, but Iím in the market now. I think the endless reasons for delays is rather discouraging too.
    I felt the same but I bailed in February when I was told by Cal it would probably May or June for the quik rack 2. The improvements look nice but I needed a rack then. as riding season was starting, and 1up serves my needs. I only have one bike and it goes on and off in 5 seconds. I chained the rack to my hitch so it deters theft. I am happy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by givemefive View Post
    Sure there are some improvements I would make but I'm sure there would be improvements I would have for this vaporware too.
    What was the point of this sentence? Why are you being snide?

Short-Change-Hero
    Technically now it is the middle of May and I have yet to see an update as to the production issues from Cal's "perfect storm." Not faulting him on that at all as it is hard to plan for such things but the communication issue is something that bothers me (at least open communication via his website as he seems to be responsive to others via private email).

The $42 savings for the single rack design is something that most will overlook as the improvements on the Mach 2 vs. QR is something that does not, at first glance, seem substantial enough to warrant the wait. While I am not in immediate need for a tray rack it is something I would like to purchase sooner rather than later. Originally when I started watching this stuff happen, back in Dec last year, I was curious knowing what supply chains can be like.

My question is that once Cal received word that he was going to be experiencing these delays and having a decent number of customers waiting, why not look at other sources? Yes, this may increase cost slightly but maybe communicate with your customers via the email and ask for feedback (surveymonkey is free) on those wishing to wait for a rack with the original supplier material which that could be an indefinite wait, or would people be willing to pay a bit more (say that $40 difference) to receive one sooner that uses another suppliers material. Of course, there are contracts and whatnot that have to be setup but if he truly has that many people waiting, then it would be a cost benefit risk analysis that could be quickly weighed and seen what the outcome would be.

Personally, in a different life I dealt with supply chain delays on international suppliers. It is something that sucks extremely but can be worked around or weighed very quickly. You are rarely kept in the dark about your orders/supplies and communication with your vendor is something, at least for me, that is a constant weekly call. These vendors know that they can lose a large chunk of business/revenue quickly if things are not resolved and thus will look at whatever process is necessary to keep things moving.

mtbr member
    Oktavius copied the latest correspondence here...

Quik-Rack Mach 2 - Page 3- Mtbr.com

It took a while before I received it via email as I guess they get sent in batches to the people on the list.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Technically now it is the middle of May and I have yet to see an update as to the production issues from Cal's "perfect storm." Not faulting him on that at all as it is hard to plan for such things but the communication issue is something that bothers me (at least open communication via his website as he seems to be responsive to others via private email).

The $42 savings for the single rack design is something that most will overlook as the improvements on the Mach 2 vs. QR is something that does not, at first glance, seem substantial enough to warrant the wait. While I am not in immediate need for a tray rack it is something I would like to purchase sooner rather than later. Originally when I started watching this stuff happen, back in Dec last year, I was curious knowing what supply chains can be like.

My question is that once Cal received word that he was going to be experiencing these delays and having a decent number of customers waiting, why not look at other sources? Yes, this may increase cost slightly but maybe communicate with your customers via the email and ask for feedback (surveymonkey is free) on those wishing to wait for a rack with the original supplier material which that could be an indefinite wait, or would people be willing to pay a bit more (say that $40 difference) to receive one sooner that uses another suppliers material. Of course, there are contracts and whatnot that have to be setup but if he truly has that many people waiting, then it would be a cost benefit risk analysis that could be quickly weighed and seen what the outcome would be.

Personally, in a different life I dealt with supply chain delays on international suppliers. It is something that sucks extremely but can be worked around or weighed very quickly. You are rarely kept in the dark about your orders/supplies and communication with your vendor is something, at least for me, that is a constant weekly call. These vendors know that they can lose a large chunk of business/revenue quickly if things are not resolved and thus will look at whatever process is necessary to keep things moving.
    Your $42 savings makes some assumptions and generalizations. What about those that want a 2Ē only rack? A black rack?

Greater savings accumulate for a guy like me that wants a single rack and 1 add-on: $81 saved. If I want it in black, Iím saving $181.

mtbr member
    For me it is also about one company which seems to want to improve their product and another company which can't or won't address issues that users have found over it's many year history.

Short-Change-Hero
    Your $42 savings makes some assumptions and generalizations. What about those that want a 2Ē only rack? A black rack?

Greater savings accumulate for a guy like me that wants a single rack and 1 add-on: $81 saved. If I want it in black, Iím saving $181.
    Your right, I was generalizing that both were compared at single rack, 2" receiver and silver. However, not sure what you are saying about wanting black being cheaper? I thought black was more costly? If you go with the QR single with add-on you are looking at ~$440 vs. the single 1UP with add-on at ~$500 (for comparison sake as you can order a double of the heavy duty for $529).

Also, there was news that Cal is only offering two-tone black and silver, no color options though the site does not seem to be updated. Or was I misunderstanding that?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I contacted Cal three or four days ago to get some measurements for the new rack , and the first racks to be shipped is around end of July.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well most of you willing to wait it out will move up in line. I was #47 & bought a Monorail Solo & the single rack extension at 21% off. At about $350, itís a great value & allows me the flexibility that I wanted to easily go back & forth between a 1 or 2 bike rack. If Cal ends up actually getting to market, great for him. I may take a look at his product in the future once things have baked in & he has the initial bugs worked out. So far Iím happy with the Monorail, but weíll see how it goes over time.

Good luck to all of you & happy riding.

Sent from my iPhone, typos and all.

mtbr member
    I have been communicating back and forth with Cal and he told me some good news about the rack. For folks like me with an oversized spare tire (Wrangler), the pivot plate on the rack that connects to the tray can be made at any length needed to clear the tire. This way I can ditch the hitch extension I have been using on another rack and not lose any tongue weight from using the hitch extender. Pretty cool. Now, I just need to wait my turn.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    I have been communicating back and forth with Cal and he told me some good news about the rack. For folks like me with an oversized spare tire (Wrangler), the pivot plate on the rack that connects to the tray can be made at any length needed to clear the tire. This way I can ditch the hitch extension I have been using on another rack and not lose any tongue weight from using the hitch extender. Pretty cool. Now, I just need to wait my turn.
    That is cool. Recently bought a 2004 Grand Cherokee to be my bike hauler. It has 32" tires on it right now which means the factory spare is useless. Have been looking at options for carrying a spare and a rear mount seems best but have been concerned with bike clearance. Most rear tire carriers for the WJ don't seem to be very tight to the back and have the tire sticking back unnecessarily. I'm tempted to make my own tire carrier so I can position the tire closer. Have also thought about building in a 2" receiver into the tire carrier only for bike rack use so that the tire and bike rack would be able to swing away together.

mtbr member
    Just checking in to see if anyone has heard any recent updates on the projected ship date. The date has been pushed so many times, I just expect it at this point.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    one week ago Cal mentioned to me in an email that it being shipped end of July.

Big Mac
    Lol.

aka bOb
    Not really sure why some owners of the 1up rack feel the need to come here and belittle this small piece of vaporware? Not sure if it's just a feeble attempt to make yourselves feel better about your 1up purchase but really there is no need you guys have already a great rack and probably the best out so there is really no need to rip on the QR2. Just my $.02

p.s. I jumped ship myself.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    the rack doesn't look to be much of an improvement but I do hope it comes out soon. I want an addon for my 1UP and i feel this rack may have an effect on prices eventually

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Not really sure why some owners of the 1up rack feel the need to come here and belittle this small piece of vaporware? Not sure if it's just a feeble attempt to make yourselves feel better about your 1up purchase but really there is no need you guys have already a great rack and probably the best out so there is really no need to rip on the QR2. Just my $.02

p.s. I jumped ship myself.
    Agreed. I'm not jumping ship due to the fact that this is the type of rack I want and the ability for Cal to make the bracket at a longer length will allow me to ditch the hitch (extension) on my Wrangler. So... HiHo, HiHo, it's off to wait I go...

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I am not ditching the hitch, i actually was trying to know the exact measurements, so i can get the dual ball mount and 2 inch hitch receiver.
    As i have a trailer that i haul, in the same time i was doing a little project of replacing my trailer tongue with a longer one to accommodate 4 bike Quik rack mach2

Cal knows his exact measurements for the old rack and the new one, you can tell he had all the design in his head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Agreed. I'm not jumping ship due to the fact that this is the type of rack I want and the ability for Cal to make the bracket at a longer length will allow me to ditch the hitch (extension) on my Wrangler. So... HiHo, HiHo, it's off to wait I go...
    I had one of the original 1UpUSA racks when they first came out and I wound up talking to Cal about it when he was still at the first company. That rack was light and worked really well.

When I got a fat bike, I gave my old 1UpUSA rack to my daughter and bought a new rack. This was after Robbie took over and Cal was gone and 1UpUSA made some modifications to the rack to get to the current version that you can buy now. That rack is MUCH heavier, it is not as light and it misses on the some of the features that made the original 1UpUSA rack so attractive to me. But it does handle my fatbike.

I'm on Cal's list for the new rack and it looks like it's exactly what I want. When they become available, I will go to that rack presuming it is exactly as it's shown in his videos. I very much like the need to forgo the funny security bolt add on mechanism, and the tilt mechanism is going to be useful when there are more than a single bike on board. Also, it's going to be a lot easier and faster to get the rack on and off the car with no need for a special tool. So I'm pretty excited by this and from what it looks like now, it will get back to some of the attractive features of the original rack which have been lost in the current version.

But, I have a rack that works and I can wait.

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I am waiting for someone to do a review or comparison between the 1-UP rack and the new Mach 2. I currently have a THULE T2 Pro rack and it is a nice rack. Unfortunately for me, 95% of the time, I only transport one bike and the T2 is just to cumbersome and heavy to put on and off. I see a lot of the riders using the 1-UP rack and have been curious. I watched the video Cal has made and I have a list of concerns:

1) The adjustable rollers that touch the tires are now adjustable and fastened with something similar to a bike axle. To me this translates into something easy to steal. I don't have a need for that level of flexibility.
    2) The rack is designed to remove costs and make it lighter. Is it better? I like the the idea that both front and rear wheels are held with verticals. This is the biggest complaint I have with the other manufacturers. The Mach 2 verticals look less rigid.
    3) The lack of a real locking system is a huge negative. The lock passing through the tightening mechanism will rattle. Cal needs to rethink this and add a locking mechanism for the bikes.
    4) As others have questions, I hope Cal did not sacrifice performance just to hit a price point.
    Last edited by jimglassford; 06-17-2018 at 04:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Ordering a 1up, as I can't wait any longer for Cal. Really disappointing, but if his ever comes out (and is same quality/price as it appears now), I can always sell the 1Up (as I'm sure there'll be a good market for them for years).

I've looked at other options, and was pretty keen on a Kuat Transfer to tide me over, but in the end I really want the small storage space option that the 1Up and Cal's new rack will do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jimglassford View Post
    I am waiting for someone to do a review or comparison between the 1-UP rack and the new Mach 2. I currently have a THULE T2 Pro rack and it is a nice rack. Unfortunately for me, 95% of the time, I only transport one bike and the T2 is just to cumbersome and heavy to put on and off. I see a lot of the riders using the 1-UP rack and have been curious. I watched the video Cal has made and I have a list of concerns:

1) The adjustable rollers that touch the tires are now adjustable and fastened with something similar to a bike axle. To me this translates into something easy to steal. I don't have a need for that level of flexibility.
    2) The rack is designed to remove costs and make it lighter. Is it better? I like the the idea that both front and rear wheels are held with verticals. This is the biggest complaint I have with the other manufacturers. The Mach 2 verticals look less rigid.
    3) The lack of a real locking system is a huge negative. The lock passing through the tightening mechanism will rattle. Cal needs to rethink this and add a locking mechanism for the bikes.
    4) As others have questions, I hope Cal did not sacrifice performance just to hit a price point.
    Some comments:

1. Just replace them with bolts. Easy and cheap and no more flexibility.

2. The vertical pieces, presuming you use the rack correctly, are in tension not compression. So side to side stiffness is not all that important. I had an original 1UpUSA (a Cal design before current 1UpUSA guys modified the design) which had vertical pieces that look very similar to these. I drove that rack all over for about 20,000 miles with three to four bikes on it and never had a problem - it's plenty rigid and, the best news, is it is lighter than the current 1UpUSA design (which I also own). This is not a problem. BTW, that original rack now lives on my daughter's car and is still completely functional and being used consistently

I also have the same trays modified for use on the roof where they are up in the wind and had no problems with them either in thousands of miles of travel.

3. Locking mechanisms: I presume you mean a bike locking system since the rack does have provisions to lock it to the car.

I have yet to see a bike rack with a built in bike locking mechanism that comes on a rack that pretty much can't be defeated easily (often with just a screwdriver). You're better off coming up with your own with a cable and a lock than using what you get with the rack. Even better, never leave your bike on the car out of your sight.

My experience with both Thule and Yakima bike racks that had built in bike locking systems (cable based) is that they were largely a giant PITA and not particularly effective. I eventually removed the one from my Yakima roof rack (High Roller).

In general, using my own strategies and equipment has been much more secure and gives me much more piece of mind than the flimsy mfg based ones. That said, the bikes don't stay unattended on the back of our cars (our bikes are pretty high end and expensive). Presuming any locking system is going to provide more than a few minutes of protection when under attack by a thief is unbounded optimism.

4. I had the opportunity to work with Cal on his original rack - I was probably one of the first racks that he sold. He even helped me with roof rack versions of his trays that he made with input from me which I still have and use. I can guarantee you that he is not the kind of guy to cut corners or do it on the cheap. By the same score, he is also not one to simply overbuild it for the sake of over building it. He's a good engineer as evidenced by the fact that his original design is still in active use today and still being sold. Remains to be seen if this is a problem but I sure doubt it is. The reason that he used the direct to consumer sales model instead of dealers was that the rack was expensive to produce and that was the way to get the margin he needed to make a sustainable business.

But, the proof will be to see it when it's available. I have a rack that works and I don't need a new one urgently this season. So I'm waiting for them to become readily available. But when that happens, I'm going all in on it because the ease of use, the lightness and the enhancements over the current 1Up design are exactly the refinements I wished the current rack had.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Some comments:

1. Just replace them with bolts. Easy and cheap and no more flexibility.

2. The vertical pieces, presuming you use the rack correctly, are in tension not compression. So side to side stiffness is not all that important. I had an original 1UpUSA (a Cal design before current 1UpUSA guys modified the design) which had vertical pieces that look very similar to these. I drove that rack all over for about 20,000 miles with three to four bikes on it and never had a problem - it's plenty rigid and, the best news, is it is lighter than the current 1UpUSA design (which I also own). This is not a problem. BTW, that original rack now lives on my daughter's car and is still completely functional and being used consistently

I also have the same trays modified for use on the roof where they are up in the wind and had no problems with them either in thousands of miles of travel.

3. Locking mechanisms: I presume you mean a bike locking system since the rack does have provisions to lock it to the car.

I have yet to see a bike rack with a built in bike locking mechanism that comes on a rack that pretty much can't be defeated easily (often with just a screwdriver). You're better off coming up with your own with a cable and a lock than using what you get with the rack. Even better, never leave your bike on the car out of your sight.

My experience with both Thule and Yakima bike racks that had built in bike locking systems (cable based) is that they were largely a giant PITA and not particularly effective. I eventually removed the one from my Yakima roof rack (High Roller).

In general, using my own strategies and equipment has been much more secure and gives me much more piece of mind than the flimsy mfg based ones. That said, the bikes don't stay unattended on the back of our cars (our bikes are pretty high end and expensive). Presuming any locking system is going to provide more than a few minutes of protection when under attack by a thief is unbounded optimism.

4. I had the opportunity to work with Cal on his original rack - I was probably one of the first racks that he sold. He even helped me with roof rack versions of his trays that he made with input from me which I still have and use. I can guarantee you that he is not the kind of guy to cut corners or do it on the cheap. By the same score, he is also not one to simply overbuild it for the sake of over building it. He's a good engineer as evidenced by the fact that his original design is still in active use today and still being sold. Remains to be seen if this is a problem but I sure doubt it is. The reason that he used the direct to consumer sales model instead of dealers was that the rack was expensive to produce and that was the way to get the margin he needed to make a sustainable business.

But, the proof will be to see it when it's available. I have a rack that works and I don't need a new one urgently this season. So I'm waiting for them to become readily available. But when that happens, I'm going all in on it because the ease of use, the lightness and the enhancements over the current 1-Up design are exactly the refinements I wished the current rack had.
    AS for the locking, I was referring to both the rack locking to the hitch and the bike locking to the rack. As I stated in my original post, the padlock passing through a hole in the lever arm used to tighten the bolt in the hitch looks like an after thought. As I said, in the right position, that padlock will rattle against the supports. The locking mechanism on the Thule is great, both the rack lock and the bike lock. I don't leave my bike on the rack for long periods of time so it has to protect the bike only when I am making a quick run into a store or something. I am not worried about someone walking around a store parking lot with a large set of bolt cutters looking for a high end bike.

As for the uprights, time will tell. The single upright on my Thule feels rigid but at 70 MPH, there is a lot of flex and a few times, I had to pull over and re position the upright and re-tighten it. There is a lot of force on the side of the bike when it is in the air stream. The Mach 2 uprights have less mass than the 1-UP so I am just concerned.

As for replacing the cam lock system on the rollers with a bolt and nut, does the hardware have bolts that have that small a cross section in long lengths?

I have never met Cal and he may be a great engineer. His concept is great. However, he is also limited by low production materials and processes. Many of the higher volume racks on the market use plastic for the complex parts. This is possible due to volume. Tooling for plastic parts is very expensive. In lower volume, machining aluminum can be more cost effective. Aluminum is the better media, however, you the designs have to be pretty simple.

As I said, I hope Cal eventually does come out with the new rack on his own. The delays can point to a few issues including his manufacturing engineering ability, business ability and the limited financial resources at his disposal. It may also point to a marketing technique in that last year he knew he was no where near an introduction date but keeps talking about the imminent introduction as a way to keep everyone from buying a competitor's rack until his is in production. As delays continue, he may be forced to pick up a business partner that will, just like 1-UP, implement changes that detract from the design.

Right now, I want a single bike rack that is light weight, I do not need a second rack. I have time to wait so I will continue to follow the development.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    AS for the locking, I was referring to both the rack locking to the hitch and the bike locking to the rack. As I stated in my original post, the padlock passing through a hole in the lever arm used to tighten the bolt in the hitch looks like an after thought. As I said, in the right position, that padlock will rattle against the supports. The locking mechanism on the Thule is great, both the rack lock and the bike lock. I don't leave my bike on the rack for long periods of time so it has to protect the bike only when I am making a quick run into a store or something. I am not worried about someone walking around a store parking lot with a large set of bolt cutters looking for a high end bike.

As for the uprights, time will tell. The single upright on my Thule feels rigid but at 70 MPH, there is a lot of flex and a few times, I had to pull over and re position the upright and re-tighten it. There is a lot of force on the side of the bike when it is in the air stream. The Mach 2 uprights have less mass than the 1-UP so I am just concerned.

As for replacing the cam lock system on the rollers with a bolt and nut, does the hardware have bolts that have that small a cross section in long lengths?

I have never met Cal and he may be a great engineer. His concept is great. However, he is also limited by low production materials and processes. Many of the higher volume racks on the market use plastic for the complex parts. This is possible due to volume. Tooling for plastic parts is very expensive. In lower volume, machining aluminum can be more cost effective. Aluminum is the better media, however, you the designs have to be pretty simple.

As I said, I hope Cal eventually does come out with the new rack on his own. The delays can point to a few issues including his manufacturing engineering ability, business ability and the limited financial resources at his disposal. It may also point to a marketing technique in that last year he knew he was no where near an introduction date but keeps talking about the imminent introduction as a way to keep everyone from buying a competitor's rack until his is in production. As delays continue, he may be forced to pick up a business partner that will, just like 1-UP, implement changes that detract from the design.

Right now, I want a single bike rack that is light weight, I do not need a second rack. I have time to wait so I will continue to follow the development.
    Here's the short answer - I have been using products designed by Cal for many years now and have found them all to work well and be both industry leading and world class so I expect more of the same on this refinement of his design. All that said, the rest is speculation until it shows up.

For the record - locking mechanisms on Thule and Yakima (I have both) are one click this side of a joke and I've used that on multiple occasions to get mine open when I've had key problems. Please be very careful if you rely on them. They are all but security window dressing.

The design of the 1up racks in all of its permutations has not been an issue in flex of the wheel support pieces. It won't be on these either. I think this might be the first time I've ever heard it mentioned and it certainly hasn't been an issue on my two hitch racks nor my two roof racks of the same design. To put a point on it, I hit a heat buckle in the pavement at 80mph in our SUV on the interstate in western Nebraska en enroute to Colorado. We went close to airborne with four bikes on the back of the much lighter weight original rack. Nothing happened and everything was fine and in position. I'm pretty confident in stating this won't be a problem simply by design.

mtbr member
    Anyone hear an updated date? Curious if it slipped again or are we still on track for end of July shipping?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    not heard anything yet, still i think Cal is filling with the trademark office to cancel what the other guy registered as trademark ( 1UP ).

Short-Change-Hero
    Anyone hear an updated date? Curious if it slipped again or are we still on track for end of July shipping?
    Was curious of the same thing. No updates on the website and still not able to place any sort of order. A bit on the frustrating side for someone that works in IT Customer Service and has done webdesign. Doesn't take much to publish a simple update on the main page of the website or shoot an email out to a distribution list with a quick status.

Can hear people now.... "Well maybe he is just so busy with other stuff that he doesn't have the time." Just like anything else in life, you will never have the time unless you make the time. Just a bit frustrating is all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    From three weeks ago:

"We still need a few more parts before we can begin to shipping. Our complete product line needs to be ready before we launch the new Quik-Rack Mach 2. For your place on the list #1928 we plan on late fall. Sorry for the delay this is a very big project with a lot of work to make it happen."

I wouldn't bet on July.

mtbr member
    From three weeks ago:

"I wouldn't bet on July".
    I'm betting on 2019.

Big Mac
    This is THE rack to have, for those that donít actually need a rack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.gad View Post
    not heard anything yet, still i think Cal is filling with the trademark office to cancel what the other guy registered as trademark ( 1UP ).
    Didnít the other company keep the 1Up name? Because Cal dropped all references to it following their lawsuit...

Iím personally waiting for who gets to change the name of their rack - I canít see two different companies selling a very similar product with almost the exact same name. Somethingís gotta give...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastroots View Post
    Didnít the other company keep the 1Up name? Because Cal dropped all references to it following their lawsuit...

Iím personally waiting for who gets to change the name of their rack - I canít see two different companies selling a very similar product with almost the exact same name. Somethingís gotta give...
    there are 7Up, Talk Up, Sprite, Sierra Mist, etc...Just stay away from names like Enduro, RackJumper, Hardrack, or Epic, the eye in the sky is watching.

mtbr member
    This is THE rack to have, for those that donít actually need a rack.
    That's one solid slogan there.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    From three weeks ago:

"We still need a few more parts before we can begin to shipping. Our complete product line needs to be ready before we launch the new Quik-Rack Mach 2. For your place on the list #1928 we plan on late fall. Sorry for the delay this is a very big project with a lot of work to make it happen."

I wouldn't bet on July.
    Sounds like his assumption is still that everyone who signed up for his newsletter is definitely going to order a rack.

Wish he would have taken deposits so we all would know our actual place in line.

mtbr member
    Sounds like his assumption is still that everyone who signed up for his newsletter is definitely going to order a rack.

Wish he would have taken deposits so we all would know our actual place in line.
    As much as I would like to know my ACTUAL place in line (instead of #1675) nothing good could have come out of taking deposits. I can only imagine the bedlam that would be taking place with people getting upset for waiting, wanting refunds, etc.. I do assume though that there aren't 1674 people ahead of me actually buying one.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    As much as I would like to know my ACTUAL place in line (instead of #1675) nothing good could have come out of taking deposits. I can only imagine the bedlam that would be taking place with people getting upset for waiting, wanting refunds, etc.. I do assume though that there aren't 1674 people ahead of me actually buying one.
    I disagree. To me, the benefits of a deposit would outweigh the negatives.

$75.00 non-refundable equals cash on hand, and an exact number of units you really need to start with.

I confident that there wouldnít be 4200 plus paying a deposits.

mtbr member
    I disagree. To me, the benefits of a deposit would outweigh the negatives.

$75.00 non-refundable equals cash on hand, and an exact number of units you really need to start with.

I confident that there wouldnít be 4200 plus paying a deposits.
    Have you read this entire thread? There are many who have jumped ship. This rack was slated to be start shipping in December. Now it is looking like I he delay could be a year (or more). Some were irate for the date slippage alone. A $75 non-refundable deposit would NOT have gone well and couldíve wreaked havoc on the product launch.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Iíve read every post, most of them twice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    If Cal fails to get financing and Quik-Rack goes under, you lose the deposit.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    If Cal fails to get financing and Quik-Rack goes under, you lose the deposit.
    Thatís the risk you take if you are willing to pay a deposit. But you also know your spot in line.

Also, if you ask for a deposit you have that much more capital to get started.

mtbr member
    Thatís the risk you take if you are willing to pay a deposit. But you also know your spot in line.

Also, if you ask for a deposit you have that much more capital to get started.
    I respectfully disagree. I own a business myself. I as a business owner would not want to go anywhere near this. Using your customers money to get your business off the ground and have delay after delay with no guarantee of actual product for the foreseeable future. What could go wrong lol. No thanks. This is the best scenario for all involved IMHO as frustrating as it is.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I respectfully disagree. I own a business myself. I as a business owner would not want to go anywhere near this. Using your customers money to get your business off the ground and have delay after delay with no guarantee of actual product for the foreseeable future. What could go wrong lol. No thanks. This is the best scenario for all involved IMHO as frustrating as it is.
    Deposts/Kickstarter fundraisers get businesses up and running all the time.

Differenxw of opinion on whether or not youíre willing to put your money where youíre trust is. Most have enough trust to sign up for a newsletter while others may wish to put their money in and run the risk but have a real idea of where they are in line.

Newsletter sign up = no risk for either party = business doesnít know how many they really have to produce = no one knows where in line they really are

Deposits = risk for Ďinvestorsí = pressure to produce = working capital = people know exactly how many products are needed for launch

Different models completely, but no one model will be best for everyone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    A deposit from a potential buyer does not make you an investor.

Knowing your place in line? That is someone who just wants to have bragging rights that they purchased one of the first runs. I doubt a bike carrier will have a collector value one day.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Both your statement are false from my perspective.

I invest in a company every time I buy something from them. My return on investment? The product I have in my possession.

Bragging rights? Nope.

I just want a reasonable expectation of when I might be getting my product. Telling me: ďBased on the fact that you SIGNED UP FOR A NEWSLETTER as number 3,212; youíre looking at February 2019; isnít nothing more than a wild guess.

3,000 people ahead of me could ACTUALLY ORDER THE PRODUCT or 50 could. Thereís absolutely no way of knowing at this point. With deposits, after they actually go into production, a guy would have a much better idea of how long he might be waiting.

I want a rack. This one is worth waiting for. Everyone wants to know just how long itís might be, I would just prefer that the timeline wasnít a guess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I think if Cal was actually sure of his financing and business plan he could take deposits. But there is the question of pricing isn't there? I know he has stated what they will sell for but until you can actually buy one...Costs can go up, The business plan can go off the rails pretty quick.
    Wasn't it this thread that talked about licencing rather than manufacturing? I forget.
    I watched a documentary about Tesla when they had to tell their customers that put a sizeable deposit down that the end price was going to be a lot more. No refunds because the money was already spent.
    Us as cyclists are one of the cheapest people around, think of the complaining we would do if Cal wanted more money?
    How many of you would buy a quick Rack with the revisions if it cost one or two hundred more than the 1up? Lets let Cal know.

mtbr member
    Deposts/Kickstarter fundraisers get businesses up and running all the time.
    This isn't Deposts/Kickstarter though. If that is what would work it should be set up that way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I just want a reasonable expectation of when I might be getting my product. Telling me: ďBased on the fact that you SIGNED UP FOR A NEWSLETTER as number 3,212; youíre looking at February 2019; isnít nothing more than a wild guess.
    Even if you knew you were customer #1, you still wouldn't know when you would receive product so I don't know how deposits would help you figure that out. If the rack ever does become available (and I hope it does), I doubt the guy will go down the newsletter list and ask every individual if they want to purchase the rack and wait for a reply. That would be a huge waste of time. My guess is that it will be posted one day on the website that it's available to purchase....for anyone.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by aski View Post
    I doubt the guy will go down the newsletter list and ask every individual if they want to purchase the rack and wait for a reply.
    This is EXACTLY what he plans to do.

mtbr member
    This is EXACTLY what he plans to do.
    How do you know? Very time consuming indeed. He would need to put a time limit on how long people would need to respond by.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast