Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 301 to 358 of 358
  1. #301
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    I donít think I agree.

    As everyone knows, Cal is the original designer and engineer, so heís not introducing a new product. He knows that once it launches it will become the premier bike rack on the market (a fact that 1Up seems to be in denial about).

    All these are reasons I would be going after deposits, working cash flow to move things along.

    Like others have said, call it funding a kickstarter if you want, but youíd really be investing in a product thatís already proven to be a market changer.

  2. #302
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    I donít think I agree.

    As everyone knows, Cal is the original designer and engineer, so heís not introducing a new product. He knows that once it launches it will become the premier bike rack on the market (a fact that 1Up seems to be in denial about).

    All these are reasons I would be going after deposits, working cash flow to move things along.

    Like others have said, call it funding a kickstarter if you want, but youíd really be investing in a product thatís already proven to be a market changer.
    you would be taking a significant risk by putting down a deposit for a track record of delay and non-deliverability. but it is a free country and if you wish to call that investment thatís cool, too.

    at the end of the day, time and the market will not be cheated.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #303
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    People do this all the time. Is there a risk? Of course. Is the risk significant? In this particular case, not in my opinion. But thatís a subjective question that falls on the individual and his or her own comfort level.

    If a person has already decided that this improved product (I was going to say new product, but it isnít a new product at all) is worth waiting for and wanted to secure their place in line when known demand is high, then a deposit/early investment only makes sense.

    But I guess youíre kind of proving my point. It seems as though Cal considers that those on his newsletter list are already customers and that he has 3,500+ orders to fill already. The fallacy in that thought is that signing up for a newsletter is risk free. When it comes down to it and production begins, the actual list of people ready to buy may be much a smaller because signing up for a newsletter cost a person nothing, and when Cal starts down the list asking for actual orders, people can say, ďno thanksĒ or ďI already bought something elseĒ without risking a dime.

    If he reached out to everyone on the list and requested that they pay a deposit to secure their place in line, he would know exactly how many orders he would initially need to fill, and people would know exactly where they are in line. Itís win-win for both.

    This is how business is done when a new product, or in this case, an improved product not yet in production comes to market. It lets manufacturers, and consumers, know real numbers.

  4. #304
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    People do this all the time. Is there a risk? Of course. Is the risk significant? In this particular case, not in my opinion. But thatís a subjective question that falls on the individual and his or her own comfort level.

    If a person has already decided that this improved product (I was going to say new product, but it isnít a new product at all) is worth waiting for and wanted to secure their place in line when known demand is high, then a deposit/early investment only makes sense.

    But I guess youíre kind of proving my point. It seems as though Cal considers that those on his newsletter list are already customers and that he has 3,500+ orders to fill already. The fallacy in that thought is that signing up for a newsletter is risk free. When it comes down to it and production begins, the actual list of people ready to buy may be much a smaller because signing up for a newsletter cost a person nothing, and when Cal starts down the list asking for actual orders, people can say, ďno thanksĒ or ďI already bought something elseĒ without risking a dime.

    If he reached out to everyone on the list and requested that they pay a deposit to secure their place in line, he would know exactly how many orders he would initially need to fill, and people would know exactly where they are in line. Itís win-win for both.

    This is how business is done when a new product, or in this case, an improved product not yet in production comes to market. It lets manufacturers, and consumers, know real numbers.
    There is another thread on MTBR where a guy has come up with a suspension design and has started a new bike company. I believe it is called Tantrum Cycles.

    He is constantly in touch with people providing updates in that thread. I do not recall specifically what he asked for a deposit, but maybe he still seeks a deposit, who knows?

    He is delivering new bikes that he designed to happy customers.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #305
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    157
    I have said many times there is not an accurate gauge of how many of those people on the list are actual buyers. Many may have already bought while others want a double and some, like myself, want a 4-bike setup.

    I might be willing to put a deposit down but not at this stage. There has been a serious lack of communication and too much date shifting at this point. Once people started receiving their racks, I would be more willing to put a deposit down. I tend not to be a conspiracy theorist but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that you are a new member and your first three posts are feelers for deposits for the rack. Are you associated with Cal?
    Last edited by Rockadile; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:21 AM.

  6. #306
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile View Post
    I would be remiss if I didn't point out that you are a new member and your first three posts are feelers for deposits for the rack. Are you associated with Cal?
    Fair question!

    But no, Iím just a guy that was seconds away from placing an order from 1Up just a couple weeks ago when I wanted to see one more video review of the Quik Rack. The first video to pop up in my search was Calís comparison of Old vs. New. So I stopped right there and started doing some research on the Mach 2. That research brought me to these forums and plethora of information on 1Up, Cal, and the Mach 2.

    My communication with Cal has been top knotch and complete. I sent him an extremely long and detailed e-mail asking specific questions about his design improvements and potential flaws or limitations I had spotted in his video and updated photos. Within 24 hours, he has replied completely and with as much detail and specificity as I had originally asked. His responses also calmed my concerns. I followed up with a couple additional questions and again had a response the following morning (within 24 hours).

    When I compared these reponses to the response I got to an e-mail I sent to 1Up; (details of which I may share at a later date) I then made the decision that I will wait for the Mach 2, at this point as long as it takes.

    For these reasons, Iím really wanting to know more precisely where I am in line, and Iím willing to pay a deposit to do so.

  7. #307
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile View Post
    Many may have already bought while others want a double and some, like myself, want a 4-bike setup.
    Great point that I hadnít considered! Not everyone is going to want a single Quik Rack with 1 Add-on (like me!).

    His product line is rather big and who knows which racks will make it to market first: entire line, or just the single Quik Rack Mach 2.0; thatís convertible between 1.25Ē and 2Ē receivers.

    Time might tell, but so could another e-mail to Cal...

  8. #308
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    Great point that I hadnít considered! Not everyone is going to want a single Quik Rack with 1 Add-on (like me!).

    His product line is rather big and who knows which racks will make it to market first: entire line, or just the single Quik Rack Mach 2.0; thatís convertible between 1.25Ē and 2Ē receivers.

    Time might tell, but so could another e-mail to Cal...
    Would be interesting to see what the plan of attack is for release. Myself, I'm wanting a Heavy Duty Single with an Add-on (or 2).

    Since I anticipated delays, I bought a Dr Tray back around December with the plans of selling it when the Mach 2 arrives. Gotten a lot of use out of it, haha.

  9. #309
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile View Post
    ...others want a double and some, like myself, want a 4-bike setup.
    So, after a 'quik' review of Cal's website, it appears there will NOT be a 2 bike rack or 2 bike add-on option; as everything will be a single rack with single add-ons:

    "Because of this new stronger design, it is unnecessary to offer the heavy-duty 2 bike system or the 2 bike add-on.

    Because of the new trays and mount design, all of the Quik-Rack Mach 2 bicycle carriers are considered HEAVY-DUTY"

    https://www.quikrack.com/quik-rack-mach-2-bike-rack/

    To get to a 4 bike set-up, you'll have to buy a single rack and then 3 add-ons.

    "Weight limits for the 1-1/4 inch receiver are 120 lbs and 4 bikes maximum.
    Weight limits for the 2 inch receiver are 200 lbs and 4 bikes maximum."

    Interestingly, I just spotted the note above that the new maximum weight for the Mach 2.0 is actually less than the original. Although it states you can now have up to 4 bikes on a 1.25" receiver, you can only put up to 120 pounds on that rack. The original only allowed 3 racks on the 1.25" receiver, but allowed up to 150 pounds.

    "Total carrying capacity of up to 150 lb. (50 lb. per bike spot)"
    https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-rack-single/

    I realize that that's 4 bikes up to 30 lbs each, and 30 pound mountain bikes are becoming less common, but it's something to think about as the overall maximum weight limit has apparently been decreased.

  10. #310
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
    Would be interesting to see what the plan of attack is for release. Myself, I'm wanting a Heavy Duty Single with an Add-on (or 2).
    The plan of attack seems to be that there won't be a 2 bike rack or 2 add-on option. It appears everything will be single rack with single add-ons; up to 4 bikes, but with a lower overall max weight capacity on the 1.25" option.

  11. #311
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    The plan of attack seems to be that there won't be a 2 bike rack or 2 add-on option. It appears everything will be single rack with single add-ons; up to 4 bikes, but with a lower max overall max weight capacity on the 1.25" option.
    Right, that is what I see as well. My debate is whether I want to get two single add-ons for a total bike carry capability of three bikes. Want to be able to carry at least three bikes eventually.

    Wanted that capability with the Dr Tray but my current daily driver only has a class I hitch which flexes with only two bikes loaded. Bought another vehicle which has a class IV hitch and will eventually replace my current daily driver. Should be up to snuff for carrying four bikes.

  12. #312
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Glad I only want a single rack with a single add-on!

    For now...


  13. #313
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    Glad I only want a single rack with a single add-on!

    For now...

    Saw your ninja edit. Another factor to consider, Cal is saying he will provide locks. Rack lock, add-on lock, and bike locks add up.

  14. #314
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
    Saw your ninja edit.

  15. #315
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile View Post
    I have said many times there is not an accurate gauge of how many of those people on the list are actual buyers. Many may have already bought while others want a double and some, like myself, want a 4-bike setup.

    I might be willing to put a deposit down but not at this stage. There has been a serious lack of communication and too much date shifting at this point. Once people started receiving their racks, I would be more willing to put a deposit down. I tend not to be a conspiracy theorist but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that you are a new member and your first three posts are feelers for deposits for the rack. Are you associated with Cal?
    I thought the same thing. Actually, I thought he might BE Cal.

  16. #316
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile View Post
    I tend not to be a conspiracy theorist but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that you are a new member and your first three posts are feelers for deposits for the rack. Are you associated with Cal?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I thought the same thing. Actually, I thought he might BE Cal.
    If there is one thing that proves that KSTAV8R is not Cal, it is that KSTAV8R is communicating way too much to be Cal. I think he is just a little excited to get the new rack and is trying to gauge where he really stands in line for the new rack.

  17. #317
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
    I think he is just a little excited to get the new rack and is trying to gauge where he really stands in line for the new rack.
    And I think you may be on to something!

    Just hoping I might see it before Christmas!

    What number is everyone on the list?

  18. #318
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    3
    I signed up in December. I don't know what number I am on the list and need to get my name removed. When the delivery date for production went from January to Feb, then to June (and now even later) I jumped ship and bought a single 1Up. Riding season was starting and I couldn't wait any longer. I'm happy I didn't wait and love the rack. Did I like the cost? No, but I have a rack instead of waiting for some promise of a product that might be produced, sometime in the future.

  19. #319
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dr Evil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    408
    I was told on 10/28 I was #1675. I contacted Cal on April 6th with a few questions one of them being if I would have a rack in June. I plan on getting a single with possibly 2 single add ons. He said, "For your place on the list June will not be likely, sorry."

  20. #320
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    And I think you may be on to something!

    Just hoping I might see it before Christmas!

    What number is everyone on the list?
    What, specifically, is it about this rack that you are willing to wait for, and even pay for, and may never even materialize, that youíre so impressed with? Serious question.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  21. #321
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    What, specifically, is it about this rack that you are willing to wait for, and even pay for, and may never even materialize, that youíre so impressed with? Serious question.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    In my case, I already have a rack. I was looking to upgrade to a 1UP when I stumbled across this rack. Since I have a rack I donít need it immediately. The main reason I am willing to wait for this over the existing 1UP rack is that this is cheaper AND accepts fat bikes (which is an additional up charge for the 1UP which makes it even cheaper still for me). Also, some issues with the original 1UP design will be addressed, as well, which is just a bonus. Iíve said it before but if 1UP would lower their pricing a bit, I am sure they would take a bunch of customers off of Calís list. Yet they refuse. I understand that since Cal isnít selling these yet they really have no reason to discount their product. However, once he does start selling, I think itíll be too late for them. Just my opinion, of course. They could totally take the wind out of his sails. And if he never goes to market, I guess 1UP ďwinsĒ.

  22. #322
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    What, specifically, is it about this rack that you are willing to wait for, and even pay for, and may never even materialize, that youíre so impressed with? Serious question.
    The QR1 is a flexible, low-profile rack with a machined aesthetic. The QR2 improves on the QR1 and will cost less. Isn't that enough?

  23. #323
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    What, specifically, is it about this rack that you are willing to wait for, and even pay for, and may never even materialize, that youíre so impressed with? Serious question.
    If it isnít clear already, Cal designed the best rack on the market: the original Quik Rack. He has now improved his design into a second generation that will cost less than the original.

    So the best rack is now better, and at a lower price.

    Why wouldnít I wait?!?

  24. #324
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    The QR1 is a flexible, low-profile rack with a machined aesthetic. The QR2 improves on the QR1 and will cost less. Isn't that enough?
    It most definitely would be, if it were available.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  25. #325
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    If it isnít clear already, Cal designed the best rack on the market: the original Quik Rack. He has now improved his design into a second generation that will cost less than the original.

    So the best rack is now better, and at a lower price.

    Why wouldnít I wait?!?
    I can only speak for myself, as to why I didnít wait. The improvements, in my mind, didnít justify it, and the original rack was awesome AND available. The price on the new version is nice, but again, not actually available. If you donít need a rack now, or in the foreseeable future, sure, why not. It I donít think thatís most people. Not to mention Cals inabilities in the communication realm, well, thatís scary.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  26. #326
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I can only speak for myself, as to why I didnít wait. The improvements, in my mind, didnít justify it, and the original rack was awesome AND available. The price on the new version is nice, but again, not actually available. If you donít need a rack now, or in the foreseeable future, sure, why not. It I donít think thatís most people. Not to mention Cals inabilities in the communication realm, well, thatís scary.
    As I mentioned in other posts, Calís communication with me have been nothing less than stellar. Always quick to respond and very thorough.

    I do need a Rack right now, as I also mentioned in a previous post that I was only seconds away from ordering one from 1Up when I found the Mach 2.

    I suppose the fact that Iíve been without a rack for a long time makes it easier to wait, but thatís beside the point.

    The Mach 2 is coming to market, itís just a matter of time. And as bad as I want a rack, I have patience enough to wait.

    Who paid $700 for a first generation iPhone, AFTER the second generation had been announced with improvements and a price tag of only $600?

  27. #327
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I donít think thatís most people.
    Amazonís 2 day shipping has ruined a lot of peopleís patience...

    Great things come to this who wait, and Iíll have extra cash in my pocket.

    I actually hope youíre right, and that when the Mach 2 starts shipping most of the 3,500 people Ďin front of me in the listí fall into your ďmost peopleĒ generalization and gave up waiting. For every one that does, I move up a spot on the list!

  28. #328
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I can only speak for myself, as to why I didnít wait. The improvements, in my mind, didnít justify it, and the original rack was awesome AND available. The price on the new version is nice, but again, not actually available. If you donít need a rack now, or in the foreseeable future, sure, why not. It I donít think thatís most people. Not to mention Cals inabilities in the communication realm, well, thatís scary.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Clearly, we are all well aware that the rack isn't available yet. Many are willing to wait. In my last post, I neglected another reason I am waiting, perhaps one of the most important. At the price point of these racks, my hope was that it would be the last rack I would need to buy. Upon discovering the Quik-Rack Mach 2, I was thinking that, since this was the last rack I might ever buy, why would I buy the old model when I could have the improved model? I would much rather wait and get an updated/improved version.

  29. #329
    mtbr member
    Reputation: windsurfdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    11
    Hey gang,

    Just found this thread and signed up for the newsletter. I haven't read the entire thread but I did a thread search for "color" and got no hits so my apologies in advance if this has been discussed.

    Living in Florida, I can envision that black aluminum getting quite hot under the summer
    sun. I emailed Cal and asked him to consider the option of continuing the aluminum color with the Mach2. Plus, his explanation for employing the black...hiding tire marks...is a non-issue IMHO.

    What say you?

  30. #330
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
    What say you?
    Personally, I like the all aluminum, but the 2-tone with black doesnít bother me at all.

    Most bike racks are black.

  31. #331
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    Amazonís 2 day shipping has ruined a lot of peopleís patience...

    Great things come to this who wait, and Iíll have extra cash in my pocket.

    I actually hope youíre right, and that when the Mach 2 starts shipping most of the 3,500 people Ďin front of me in the listí fall into your ďmost peopleĒ generalization and gave up waiting. For every one that does, I move up a spot on the list!
    Thatís not really what I meant. A few days, a week, or even a month, is one thing, but a year? Thatís a different situation. Most folks, myself included, look for a rack when they need it. I wasnít predicting my future needs for 2019. Had the new version been available, I absolutely would have bought one. However, it was not, and is not, so last December, I bought a one up. Couldnít be happier. I hope yíall get your racks sooner than later.

  32. #332
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Thatís not really what I meant. A few days, a week, or even a month, is one thing, but a year? Thatís a different situation. Most folks, myself included, look for a rack when they need it. I wasnít predicting my future needs for 2019. Had the new version been available, I absolutely would have bought one. However, it was not, and is not, so last December, I bought a one up. Couldnít be happier. I hope yíall get your racks sooner than later.
    I understand.

    Iíve been without a rack for a couple years now, and have sufficed. When I found myself ready to buy a rack I wanted the best, so I was ready to buy a Quik Rack from 1Up.

    Is it the best currently available for immediate purchase? Yes; but it has been revised by the original designer and engineer; and when it drops into the market the Mach 2 will better and significantly more affordable.

    I can manage for 6 or 7 months, maybe longer, as Iím not hurting for a rack.

  33. #333
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,848
    Everybody keeps talking about "improvements" but quite frankly, I'm not sure all of the changes are actually improvements. Obviously, others don't agree. I don't remember my number on Cal's list but I'm low enough to be in the 1st wave of racks....and I already have a 1Up at this point.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

  34. #334
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    126
    Even though there hasn't been as much public communications as some would like, Cal responded quickly when I emailed him.

    The reason I haven't purchased a 1UP is that the Mach 2 does seem to have signicant improvements and the overall cost when factoring in carrying 3+ bikes and locks was really high compared to the Mach 2. I could get a Yakima Dr Tray on sale for half the price of the 1UP. So ended up getting the Dr Tray to hold me over until the Mach 2 is released.

  35. #335
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,888
    this is not a criticism just pointing out the reality that the most significant improvement of Quick Rak 2 is the price. No debating that.

    But for many 1Up owners like me the so called other improvements are meh.

    Today I travelled with 3 bikes on a 1Up. It is the heavy duty 2Ē version. It was easy. Highway speeds at 70 mph and I marked the insert pointówithout a thread I managed to make it there with zero movement.

    Last weekend I drove about 700 miles round trip with my 1Up to the border of WV/ VA. I checked it a few times and could not budge it a mm with the wrench. Go figure.

    Despite using the 1Up locks and leaving the car unattended at two stops my bikes were not stolen.

    Still, today was a great test of about 90 pounds of bike hanging off 3 racks. I averaged 70 mph on highway and the wrench did not move a mm. Go figure.

    Sure, if U can buy the same quality at a much lower price I am all in. But I have put this thing though the paces and it is damn good. I wonder if 1up had not gotten involved whether this product would exist?

    You all can tell us if quick rack 2 starts hitting the market 2 years from now. through Yakima or Thule or someone else who produces. Iíll probably have a new vehicle and be in the market then.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  36. #336
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Designed, engineered and improved by the original patent holder; so Iím fully expecting the rack to be as good, if not better than the original.

    Add these second generational improvements to a significantly lower price and why wouldnít I wait?

  37. #337
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dr Evil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    Designed, engineered and improved by the original patent holder; so Iím fully expecting the rack to be as good, if not better than the original.

    Add these second generational improvements to a significantly lower price and why wouldnít I wait?
    I'm with you. Don't need one currently but want one eventually so I will wait too.

  38. #338
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    Add these second generational improvements to a significantly lower price and why wouldnít I wait?
    Why wouldn't you? I can't speak for you, but I am interested in getting this rack (as in- I have a new vehicle and am going from roof top tray to hitch mount, so I NEED a new rack) but... I NEED a rack. Now. "New & Improved" is wonderful, "Unavailable" isn't. There will ALWAYS be a 'newer' and 'better' product on it's way, waiting for the final 'best' just means you never have what you want/ need. I'm not going to sit around waiting because it's a freakin' bike rack, not a wife. It doesn't have to be perfect and it probably (certainly) won't be the last. (for me). You aren't wrong to wait, but it's wrong for me.

  39. #339
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebike View Post
    Why wouldn't you? I can't speak for you, but I am interested in getting this rack (as in- I have a new vehicle and am going from roof top tray to hitch mount, so I NEED a new rack) but... I NEED a rack. Now. "New & Improved" is wonderful, "Unavailable" isn't. There will ALWAYS be a 'newer' and 'better' product on it's way, waiting for the final 'best' just means you never have what you want/ need. I'm not going to sit around waiting because it's a freakin' bike rack, not a wife. It doesn't have to be perfect and it probably (certainly) won't be the last. (for me). You aren't wrong to wait, but it's wrong for me.
    Which is why I said ďIĒ...

    Not, Ďwhy wouldnít YOU wait?í.

    Have you read my previous posts? I gave 1Up an opportunity to earn my business, and they gave me as much attitude and negative criticism as Iím starting to get here.

  40. #340
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,438
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    Which is why I said ďIĒ...

    Not, Ďwhy wouldnít YOU wait?í.

    Have you read my previous posts? I gave 1Up an opportunity to earn my business, and they gave me as much attitude and negative criticism as Iím starting to get here.
    The thread is entertaining. I mean you have gems like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    you would be taking a significant risk by putting down a deposit for a track record of delay and non-deliverability. but it is a free country and if you wish to call that investment thatís cool, too.
    at the end of the day, time and the market will not be cheated.
    So far the track record is designing and bringing to market one of the most popular racks out there. Went against the big boys and has people willing to pay more for his.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

  41. #341
    mtbr member
    Reputation: windsurfdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    11
    Good news from Cal for those wanting a 2nd gen. with the all aluminum color...he will make it available upon request.

  42. #342
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
    Good news from Cal for those wanting a 2nd gen. with the all aluminum color...he will make it available upon request.
    That is good that he can still accommodate customer's color wants.

    I'm still going to elect for the two tone though. I'm in the Sunshine State as well and my current bike rack is black. I've only had it since the winter so haven't tested it in the summer sun but don't anticipate any issues as there are a lot of black racks in Florida. My bike rack sits on the back of my car during work and my biggest concern is direct UV exposure of the rubber and composite bike components. To mitigate this issue, I cover the bike while at work.

  43. #343
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    So, after a 'quik' review of Cal's website, it appears there will NOT be a 2 bike rack or 2 bike add-on option; as everything will be a single rack with single add-ons:
    didn't read entire thread, but here's what I ran into

    The 2-Bike Heavy-Duty Quik-Rack Mach 2 is $419. The new 2-Bike Add-On is $299. Price is the same no matter what color you choose, black or silver. Free shipping within the continental U.S.A. on everything we sell.

    Source: https://www.quikrack.com/support/faq/
    -I don't like my username.

  44. #344
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by MovinUp View Post
    didn't read entire thread, but here's what I ran into

    The 2-Bike Heavy-Duty Quik-Rack Mach 2 is $419. The new 2-Bike Add-On is $299. Price is the same no matter what color you choose, black or silver. Free shipping within the continental U.S.A. on everything we sell.

    Source: https://www.quikrack.com/support/faq/
    I think that is the old information. On the product page you will find the text KSTAV8R mentioned which stated they are selling the trays as singles.

    https://www.quikrack.com/quik-rack-mach-2-bike-rack/

    Though it is still (currently) cheaper than the 1UP, it appears to have gone up in price. Originally, a 2-bike setup was $419, now it is $438. A 4-bike setup was $718, now it is $776.

  45. #345
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by MovinUp View Post
    didn't read entire thread, but here's what I ran into

    The 2-Bike Heavy-Duty Quik-Rack Mach 2 is $419. The new 2-Bike Add-On is $299. Price is the same no matter what color you choose, black or silver. Free shipping within the continental U.S.A. on everything we sell.

    Source: https://www.quikrack.com/support/faq/
    Quoting an e-mail from Cal:

    ďWe will be selling only 1 bike racks, and 1 bike add-ons.Ē

    Also, from his website:

    ďBecause of this new stronger design, it is unnecessary to offer the heavy-duty 2 bike system or the 2 bike add-on.Ē

    https://www.quikrack.com/quik-rack-mach-2-bike-rack/

  46. #346
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12
    Thanks guys, I saw that too but thought there's potential there is a configuration possibly not listed on the products page that I ran into elsewhere, since pricing was slightly different and it basically specifically identified how to piece together a 4 bike rack.

    Ok well it's up to them, either way at this point seems the divorce isn't good for anyone but I'm not about to get into this.

    cheers.
    -I don't like my username.

  47. #347
    Is it winter yet?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    So, after a 'quik' review of Cal's website, it appears there will NOT be a 2 bike rack or 2 bike add-on option; as everything will be a single rack with single add-ons:

    "Because of this new stronger design, it is unnecessary to offer the heavy-duty 2 bike system or the 2 bike add-on.

    Because of the new trays and mount design, all of the Quik-Rack Mach 2 bicycle carriers are considered HEAVY-DUTY"

    https://www.quikrack.com/quik-rack-mach-2-bike-rack/

    To get to a 4 bike set-up, you'll have to buy a single rack and then 3 add-ons.

    "Weight limits for the 1-1/4 inch receiver are 120 lbs and 4 bikes maximum.
    Weight limits for the 2 inch receiver are 200 lbs and 4 bikes maximum."

    Interestingly, I just spotted the note above that the new maximum weight for the Mach 2.0 is actually less than the original. Although it states you can now have up to 4 bikes on a 1.25" receiver, you can only put up to 120 pounds on that rack. The original only allowed 3 racks on the 1.25" receiver, but allowed up to 150 pounds.
    I would not hesitate to put 150 lbs worth of bikes on a 3 rack arrangement. That is going to exert less bending on the hitch than 120 lbs in a longer, 4 bike configuration.

    I like that the 1 1/4" hitch can do 4 bikes now. It probably always could, but if it is now certified for 4 bikes @ 30 lbs each (max), I'm happier than before. I have one vehicle with a 1 1/4" hitch, and one with a 2" hitch. I can see needing to move 4 bikes in the future.


    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    "Total carrying capacity of up to 150 lb. (50 lb. per bike spot)"
    https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-rack-single/

    I realize that that's 4 bikes up to 30 lbs each, and 30 pound mountain bikes are becoming less common, but it's something to think about as the overall maximum weight limit has apparently been decreased.
    Check with Cal, but I see no reason why three 50 lb bikes would not work. My interpretation is only that four 50 lb bikes will not work.

  48. #348
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BXCc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    890
    So who is waiting and who is getting the original 1-Up now?

    Iím in need of a 4 place rack and like the updates and lower price of the Quik Rack version, but I really donít want to use my Swagman Quad 2+2 for another season. It works ok, but it isnít ideal with carbon frames and if it isnít tight enough, the frame wiggles causing a wear mark in the top tube. So do I drop the $950 now, or wait and hopefully get the Quik-Rack for $775?

  49. #349
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1
    I for one have abandoned ship for now on this one. Been waiting for a while since I already had Kuat NV2 I had for years, as well as Inno INH-305 (same type as quick racks... with add on I put in so it is 3 bike setup for that).
    Reason for wait was Kuat NV2 clamps on my rim brake which I didn't enjoy too much... and INH-305 does everything nicely but bit heavy and more of look issue.
    I got tired enough I ended up grabbing single Quick Rack for time being to replace the NV2 portion of story...
    The design improvement mentioned on mach2 that is noteworthy for me from using quite a few racks with different bike setups that still applies I think are
    1) easy-access pivot bar - INH-350 already has it and makes it so much more usable than other racks on this account if you have hatchback.
    2) tool-less wheel spool adjustment - Which rack in market other than quick rack doesn't let you? Yup... Mach 2 is fixing the deficiency in this case really.
    3) auto-tray lock design - Definitely has been noticing this making it forced 2 hand use on QR... INH-305 doesn't need to. I feel much better when opening up while holding bike with one hand... not so much on QR.
    These are the features I am really looking for in Mach 2 vs current QR. Quite frankly other than the fact I can use it as solo rack and convert easy (that way I can open hatch without tilting the rack around most of time), I would have been happier with another INH-305. I think Mach 2 is good replacement for my INH-305 and even more so after using QR.
    One concern I have is the fact INNO is supposed to come out with their new hitch rack like INH-305 (right now it is discontinued model) sometime this year... but not sure what it will look like or weight as well as modular nature of it which I really like on QR series...

  50. #350
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    182
    There were 20 1UPUSA racks at the trailhead today. Over 80% of the racks were 1UP.

    I personally love mine and don't see any of the improvements as useful.

    Sure there are some improvements I would make but I'm sure there would be improvements I would have for this vaporware too.

  51. #351
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BXCc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    890
    Well I donít feel like waiting and I got the 1-Up version. Well I ordered it today anyway. Iím sure the new one will be nice and have improvements, but Iím in the market now. I think the endless reasons for delays is rather discouraging too.

  52. #352
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    Well I donít feel like waiting and I got the 1-Up version. Well I ordered it today anyway. Iím sure the new one will be nice and have improvements, but Iím in the market now. I think the endless reasons for delays is rather discouraging too.
    I felt the same but I bailed in February when I was told by Cal it would probably May or June for the quik rack 2. The improvements look nice but I needed a rack then. as riding season was starting, and 1up serves my needs. I only have one bike and it goes on and off in 5 seconds. I chained the rack to my hitch so it deters theft. I am happy.

  53. #353
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by givemefive View Post
    Sure there are some improvements I would make but I'm sure there would be improvements I would have for this vaporware too.
    What was the point of this sentence? Why are you being snide?

  54. #354
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,229
    Technically now it is the middle of May and I have yet to see an update as to the production issues from Cal's "perfect storm." Not faulting him on that at all as it is hard to plan for such things but the communication issue is something that bothers me (at least open communication via his website as he seems to be responsive to others via private email).

    The $42 savings for the single rack design is something that most will overlook as the improvements on the Mach 2 vs. QR is something that does not, at first glance, seem substantial enough to warrant the wait. While I am not in immediate need for a tray rack it is something I would like to purchase sooner rather than later. Originally when I started watching this stuff happen, back in Dec last year, I was curious knowing what supply chains can be like.

    My question is that once Cal received word that he was going to be experiencing these delays and having a decent number of customers waiting, why not look at other sources? Yes, this may increase cost slightly but maybe communicate with your customers via the email and ask for feedback (surveymonkey is free) on those wishing to wait for a rack with the original supplier material which that could be an indefinite wait, or would people be willing to pay a bit more (say that $40 difference) to receive one sooner that uses another suppliers material. Of course, there are contracts and whatnot that have to be setup but if he truly has that many people waiting, then it would be a cost benefit risk analysis that could be quickly weighed and seen what the outcome would be.

    Personally, in a different life I dealt with supply chain delays on international suppliers. It is something that sucks extremely but can be worked around or weighed very quickly. You are rarely kept in the dark about your orders/supplies and communication with your vendor is something, at least for me, that is a constant weekly call. These vendors know that they can lose a large chunk of business/revenue quickly if things are not resolved and thus will look at whatever process is necessary to keep things moving.

  55. #355
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    157
    Oktavius copied the latest correspondence here...

    Quik-Rack Mach 2 - Page 3- Mtbr.com

    It took a while before I received it via email as I guess they get sent in batches to the people on the list.

  56. #356
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Technically now it is the middle of May and I have yet to see an update as to the production issues from Cal's "perfect storm." Not faulting him on that at all as it is hard to plan for such things but the communication issue is something that bothers me (at least open communication via his website as he seems to be responsive to others via private email).

    The $42 savings for the single rack design is something that most will overlook as the improvements on the Mach 2 vs. QR is something that does not, at first glance, seem substantial enough to warrant the wait. While I am not in immediate need for a tray rack it is something I would like to purchase sooner rather than later. Originally when I started watching this stuff happen, back in Dec last year, I was curious knowing what supply chains can be like.

    My question is that once Cal received word that he was going to be experiencing these delays and having a decent number of customers waiting, why not look at other sources? Yes, this may increase cost slightly but maybe communicate with your customers via the email and ask for feedback (surveymonkey is free) on those wishing to wait for a rack with the original supplier material which that could be an indefinite wait, or would people be willing to pay a bit more (say that $40 difference) to receive one sooner that uses another suppliers material. Of course, there are contracts and whatnot that have to be setup but if he truly has that many people waiting, then it would be a cost benefit risk analysis that could be quickly weighed and seen what the outcome would be.

    Personally, in a different life I dealt with supply chain delays on international suppliers. It is something that sucks extremely but can be worked around or weighed very quickly. You are rarely kept in the dark about your orders/supplies and communication with your vendor is something, at least for me, that is a constant weekly call. These vendors know that they can lose a large chunk of business/revenue quickly if things are not resolved and thus will look at whatever process is necessary to keep things moving.
    Your $42 savings makes some assumptions and generalizations. What about those that want a 2Ē only rack? A black rack?

    Greater savings accumulate for a guy like me that wants a single rack and 1 add-on: $81 saved. If I want it in black, Iím saving $181.

  57. #357
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    157
    For me it is also about one company which seems to want to improve their product and another company which can't or won't address issues that users have found over it's many year history.

  58. #358
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,229
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTAV8R View Post
    Your $42 savings makes some assumptions and generalizations. What about those that want a 2Ē only rack? A black rack?

    Greater savings accumulate for a guy like me that wants a single rack and 1 add-on: $81 saved. If I want it in black, Iím saving $181.
    Your right, I was generalizing that both were compared at single rack, 2" receiver and silver. However, not sure what you are saying about wanting black being cheaper? I thought black was more costly? If you go with the QR single with add-on you are looking at ~$440 vs. the single 1UP with add-on at ~$500 (for comparison sake as you can order a double of the heavy duty for $529).

    Also, there was news that Cal is only offering two-tone black and silver, no color options though the site does not seem to be updated. Or was I misunderstanding that?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Threads

  1. 1up Quik Rack roof tray...who has one?
    By RL-77 in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-01-2015, 02:01 PM
  2. quik rookie ques. please...
    By frank6262 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2015, 09:26 PM
  3. Quik help with bottom bracket sizing
    By Crazornz in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-12-2014, 03:40 AM
  4. 1Up Quik Rack Fat Tire Add On...
    By Davesnhere in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 04:44 PM
  5. Got my 1up USA Quik-Rack tonight.
    By Buadyen in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-23-2012, 06:06 PM

Members who have read this thread: 585

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.