mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Just ordered a 1up USA and a EcoHitch

I finally pulled the trigger on a hitch for my car and a bike rack. For the last 4 years I've been taking the front wheel off and putting it in the trunk. Security has been great, but convenience has not.
    I have a 2016 Mazda 6 and choose to go with the EcoHitch as it is the stealthiest hitch I could find. Nothing but the receiver can be seen.
    Name:  Hitch 2.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  14.5 KBName:  Hitch.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  15.2 KB

I decided to go with a 1up USA rack due to the glowing reviews here and at the trailhead. I liked how there was no frame contact, the offset tray heights, and light weight. Construction and long term durability seemed to be better than it's competition. Name:  1 Up USA.JPG
Views: 663
Size:  14.5 KB

I'll post pictures of the installation and any opinions I might have after I use them for a while.

Thanks to everyone who has posted before on the subject as it made it easier to decide.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just a quick update. Hitch installation went well. If you can change your own oil and rotate your tires you can install this hitch. Here is a picture with the bumper skin removed but the hitch is already installed behind the metal bumper. Only visible part of the hitch is the box of the receiver.
    Just ordered a 1up USA and a EcoHitch-during.jpg

Here is the end result. I couldn't be happier with either product.

Just ordered a 1up USA and a EcoHitch-after.jpg

Looking forward to having my trunk back when I travel with my bike and going on longer trips.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by law2spam View Post

Looking forward to having my trunk back when I travel with my bike and going on longer trips.
    Nice job, looks great. I wish I had all those tools and the wherewithal to do stuff like that myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Congrats!
    When I was installing hitch receiver, I found that my Acura had mounting holes without required threads. Had to go to mechanics for help. They threaded it for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by charlatan View Post
    Nice job, looks great. I wish I had all those tools and the wherewithal to do stuff like that myself.
    Thanks, the only tools needed were a phillips screwdriver, regular screwdriver, a few sockets, a ratchet, a torque wrench, jack and stands. The impact gun was only used to speed the process up and because I had one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have to say after my first use of the rack I'm having a little buyers remorse. On a long travel trip it was just as much trouble to chain it up as it would have been to remove the front wheel and put it in the trunk. I was worried watching it move around in the rear view and had plenty of bug guts to clean off when I got home. Plus being in the car vs. outside the car is always more secure.

I'm thinking on my local rides where I don't have to lock it up that I'll enjoy it more. On a nice muddy ride I'll like it not being in the car too. Having someone travel with me will require usage of the rack as well.

Having a better way to lock it to the rack would help. I bought a thick cable lock but it was a little unruly and I was afraid of it springing into me, the bike or car. I think an actual chain like from ABUS would be easier to manage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Today's local trip went great. Bike stayed on the rack until I was ready to ride and when I came back it went right back on the rack. Didn't have to worry about balancing it against my car and wondering if it was going to slip and scratch my car again. Everything else was conveniently thrown in the trunk and easy to grab. I was even able to load the bike last night and still fit in the garage. Didn't have to do anything this morning but fill my water bottles.
    Basically it's a tool and you have to know when its the best tool to use.
    Another picture for your viewing pleasure.
    Name:  18217144_10212033844268938_1574721988_n.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  33.3 KB