mtbr member
    Dec 2017

I need some help deciding my next bike hauler

Hi Guys, Iím currently looking for my next bike hauler as I think its time to replace my 7 year old Mini Cooper S. My criteria is: Spacious, Fun to Drive, I can install a trailer hitch on it, Can drive on snow/dirt roads, and has a decent audio/stereo system to get pumped up to the trailhead.
    Budget: New or Used, Under 30k
    So there you go

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    4Runner

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

I need some help deciding my next bike hauler

Taco. Itís the law.

mtbr member
    I have a 2008 4runner and the wife has a 2014 4runner. I love them both, but I wouldn't say they are fun to drive unless you're going off road.

A Subaru WRX STI will fit the bill, good power and handling, AWD, affordable, and can definitely install a trailer hitch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks guys, Iím gonna go to the Toyota dealer and look at the 4Runner and Tacoma

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good luck. I wanted a truck (I have a 4Runner for daily driving and a lifted Rubicon for offroading) and just decided to get a diesel full-sized truck for pulling a small travel trailer and all my bike trips. Your needs may be different. If you need more room and want a truck (and can handle the lower gas mileage) also consider the full-size trucks. They have a lot of room and do better in the mountains with their bigger motors. Post up when you get your new vehicle.

mtbr member
    I have two Tacoma's that I currently use along with a mazdaspeed3, just wish one would get half way decent gas mileage but I do enjoy driving anyone of the three.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I had a hitch on my G35, the replacement Audi A4, and now my Q5. I love the extra space in the Q5 and you can't beat the Audi Quattro system...could probably get to 30k pretty easily with the 2.0l version, 2016, 30k miles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    VW Alltrack, 6 speed manual. Checks all your boxes.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I have an Outback 3.6r as my hauler... it kicks some booty. I can fit my bikes inside, or put them on my hitch rack. I feel like it is spacious without being too big. The Forester XT has a 2.0 turbo in it, so that could fit in you fun factor as well.

mtbr member
    I drive a fiesta st on days I don't ride. It's fun, fast, inexpensive, and gets great gas mileage.

On days I do ride, I take my Ford Transit. Once you go with a full size van for biking, it's hard to go back to anything else. Everything is out of the weather and secure, I have a place to change and sleep, room for a large tool box and ice chest, and can keep multiple bikes inside standing upright with wheels on.

If you go used, a combo like that is probably in your budget.

mtbr member
    You are required to drive a Toyota, it's an unwritten mountain bike law, at least it seems that way where I live.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by manpurse View Post
    You are required to drive a Toyota, it's an unwritten mountain bike law, at least it seems that way where I live.
    It's the law in BC. 0:50

mtbr member
    I will also say VW golf alltrack. Itís an amazingly fun car to drive, and I cannot say enough good things about mine.

Happy Trails
    My brother traded his Toyota truck for a Honda Ridgeline. He really likes the functionality, comfort, and fuel economy of the new Honda. It seems to me like the best truck going right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    My brother traded his Toyota truck for a Honda Ridgeline. He really likes the functionality, comfort, and fuel economy of the new Honda. It seems to me like the best truck going right now.
    Iíll agree with that in part! The Toyota is much better off road, but if you donít need serious off road ability then the ridgeline is great. Tacomaís are awesome , but get terrible gas mileage. Sethís bike hacks on YouTube posted a video going through the same decision, and ended up with a ridgeline. Might be worth a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My vote for the VW Alltrack as well. If it's anything like my GTI, you will absolutely love it. I get almost no fatigue on long road trips with it and they are pretty refined for what they are. Yes it's German, but for the new 2018's, I think they have a 6 year 72k mile warranty. So no worries!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Iíll agree with that in part! The Toyota is much better off road, but if you donít need serious off road ability then the ridgeline is great. Tacomaís are awesome , but get terrible gas mileage. Sethís bike hacks on YouTube posted a video going through the same decision, and ended up with a ridgeline. Might be worth a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My bike hauler evolution:

Tacoma - Really not all that practical, bad ride comfort, 2wd wasn't that good off road, bad gas mileage

Ridgeline - about the perfect truck for me, loved the utility and storeage, rode like a car, but didn't like having bikes in the bed

Ford Transit - For me, it's by far the best vehicle for biking as long as you don't need a lot of off road capability. Surprisingly easy to drive too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Well... It looks I agree here as well. My dream vehicle is a Transit, but after extensive shopping I decided that the one I wanted was more money than I wanted to spend. I'm set on a 148" High Roof (no mediums or lows for me), and the cheapest ones I could find were all around 26k. Then on top of that I would need to build it out as a camper, so I put that on hold until i can get one for a better deal. They have only been out for a couple years, so the prices should be getting better all the time!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thank you! Iím currently Iím currrently in the process of buying a certified pre owned 2014 Audi SQ5. I got the s because it will kick butt accelerating. The other reason is that the q5 will be nice and small for driving and parking easily in Nyc.

mtbr member
    A transit or van of some sort is really the best vehicle for mtb and traveling. That said, a good used Honda Element is tough to beat if you need something for hauling other people, dogs, etc as well. It's set up for a nice sound system if you want to spend money too. Having owned Subaru's, myriad of trucks in every size, assorted sun's and everything in between, I loved my Element. Loved because I hit a deer 5 months ago and totaled it out. So now I'm in the market for another, or a Transit.