mtbr member

This is how we take the bikes with us

Hitch rack contraption on the camper. Works well!

This is how we take the bikes with us-img_1542.jpgThis is how we take the bikes with us-img_1544.jpg

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I like that. Is that a ready made tongue mountable rack?
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Bikesexual
    Love that trailer!

Edit: do you mind providing some details on it?
    just get a bike and ride!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    It actually looks like a receiver, and the rack is whatever bike rack he wants.

I want the deets on this receiver, 'cause it might be just what I need.

I carry my bikes on my trailer like this:

IMG_20170228_123221_824 by Nate, on Flickr

The problem with it is when I need to drive somewhere with the bikes once camp is setup. I use the hitch rack for that. The setup I'm using in this pic is far less than ideal. The hitch rack is too low/close to the trailer tongue so to unhitch the trailer, I have to remove the Kuat. It also affects my vertical articulation capabilities. It also reduces my possible turning radius. Getting the rack over the toolbox would be perfect. Though I dunno if the product OP uses would quite work for me.

since 4/10/2009
    Looks sorta like this:

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...on/CC-275.html

It only has 100lb capacity, though. Seems like it's pushing it. For one, rack needs to be rated to be used on the back of an RV (at least to use the rack to carry bikes). Second, the bike rack's weight plus 2 bikes can pretty easily exceed 100lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    It is this contraption: https://www.strombergcarlson.com/car...-model-cc-275/ - I can use the hitch mounted Yakima I normally use on the car, but this thing is what we needed to carry the bikes - I am not a fan of roof racks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is that your bike/car/camper in the OP?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Love that trailer!

Edit: do you mind providing some details on it?
    Sure thing! it even has a bathroom in it! It is this: https://tab.nucamprv.com/tab-320-s-floor-plan/

I could have drilled the back to install a rack on the back, but why if I already had the Yakima hitch rack. This is how we take the bikes with us-screen-shot-2017-09-01-2.38.51-pm.jpgThis is how we take the bikes with us-screen-shot-2017-09-01-2.39.30-pm.png

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Is that your bike/car/camper in the OP?
    THe initial pic? Yes, worked hard to get all that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    It actually looks like a receiver, and the rack is whatever bike rack he wants.

I want the deets on this receiver, 'cause it might be just what I need.

I carry my bikes on my trailer like this:

IMG_20170228_123221_824 by Nate, on Flickr

The problem with it is when I need to drive somewhere with the bikes once camp is setup. I use the hitch rack for that. The setup I'm using in this pic is far less than ideal. The hitch rack is too low/close to the trailer tongue so to unhitch the trailer, I have to remove the Kuat. It also affects my vertical articulation capabilities. It also reduces my possible turning radius. Getting the rack over the toolbox would be perfect. Though I dunno if the product OP uses would quite work for me.
    Found this for you: Pop-Up Camper Bike Rack by ProRac - 2 and 4 Bike | Discount Ramps
    They could have used a better pic... looks like the back of the bikes would just bounce without any restrains.This is how we take the bikes with us-screen-shot-2017-09-01-2.44.50-pm.png

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin View Post
    Found this for you: Pop-Up Camper Bike Rack by ProRac - 2 and 4 Bike | Discount Ramps
    They could have used a better pic... looks like the back of the bikes would just bounce without any restrains.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 2.44.50 PM.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	1155423
    Damn, that thing is expensive. I spent less than that for the 2 1upUSA roof trays. Higher end, and no need for thru axle adapters. Also, my camper came with the roof rack for the awning. There's also no spec on how high it is. I suspect based on this pic that it'll be too low for my trailer.

Not to mention, my roof really can't support any weight at all...not even bike tires. My roof is aluminum with some braces underneath, and there's a gap between the alu and the roof insulation. And for that matter, this thing doesn't do anything that the roof rack doesn't. What I am really after is something that holds my hitch rack out of the way of everything when I'm towing so I can put it on the car when I'm at camp.

Yes, I have roof bars for the car, but those are for the canoe. Putting bike trays up there defeats that use, and I don't want to have to remove the bike trays every time I want to carry a canoe.

So far, the RakAttach and a hitch receiver on the trailer looks like it'll do the job best, as it'll get the bikes out of the way of my galley door on the trailer if I need to stop and access my galley during a road trip. Then I could move the hitch rack to the TV for shuttling bikes once camp is set up.
    http://rakattach.com/

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin View Post
    Sure thing! it even has a bathroom in it! It is this: https://tab.nucamprv.com/tab-320-s-floor-plan/

I could have drilled the back to install a rack on the back, but why if I already had the Yakima hitch rack. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 2.38.51 PM.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	1155421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 2.39.30 PM.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	1155422
    Thanks that's pretty sweet. I was actually looking at them just a day or two ago.

Probably pricey but seems like a great set up.
    just get a bike and ride!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Guys, why the aversion to installing roof rack on you car? You are already getting crappy mileage towing, so no excuse there. It seems the most logical and simple solution. That way once you set up camp your bikes are with you if you need to drive to your riding destination. I would think switching bikes would get real old. We have a toy hauler and I still put the bikes on the truck roof rack (roof of cap cover) for this very reason. We keep the bed clear for river tubes, dogs, etc..

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Guys, why not just put a roof rack on you car? It seems the most logical and simple solution. That way once you set up camp your bikes are with you if you need to drive to your riding destination. We have a toy hauler and I still put the bikes on the truck roof rack (roof of cap cover) for this very reason. We keep the bed clear for river tubes, dogs, etc..
    I answered that question already. I have a roof rack on the car. It is for my canoe (I have one on my other car, too, for shuttling my boat for river trips) Adding/removing roof trays is a PITA, so I am not moving them around all the time. Sometimes I even carry my canoe AND my bikes AND my camper.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ah, I see. Sorry I missed that part.