mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Hitch vs Trunk Mount

I have an existing hitch mount bike rack that also supports from the bottom of the wheels for my truck. For a Toyota Corolla should I just get a trunk mount rack (I've never had one) or install a slightly more expensive receiver on the car?

I'm just trying to figure out what is more advantageous.

Account Retired
    Nov 2008
    Can you drop the back seat and place your bike inside the Corolla? That's what I would do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Hitch vs Trunk Mount

It will be two bikes and in the trunk will be a child's bike trailer (single wheel)

High Desert MTBer
    I would go with a receiver myself. I have both a trunk mount and a receiver. I use the trunk one if I rent a car or use one without a receiver, but on my own car i put the receiver as in my mind it is much more secure. Not just from theft but also in use.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    I bought a Curt receiver for my Honda Fit for a little over $100 and installed it myself. not very hard and it works well with my Thule T2. I was more than happy to get rid of my trunk rack.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy283 View Post
    I have an existing hitch mount bike rack that also supports from the bottom of the wheels for my truck. For a Toyota Corolla should I just get a trunk mount rack (I've never had one) or install a slightly more expensive receiver on the car?

I'm just trying to figure out what is more advantageous.
    When I had my BMW 5 series I installed hitch 1 1/4 (I think, i know it was not 2" size) and it worked great. Much better than trunk mount with straps etc. I remove the hitch rack when not in use.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Your Best Friend
    Only get a trunk mount if you hate your car and your bike.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Always get a hitch mount rack. You might not be able to put your current hitch rack on the car (the whole 2" vs. 1 1/4" thing), but a hitch rack always wins over a trunk rack for 2 bikes. Single bike, and you don't care, a trunk rack works. 2 bikes, just too much for a trunk rack to reliably hold it.

For future reference, if you get a wiring harness to use a trailer with the hitch rack. Those light kits from autozone/amazon that simply add a plug adapter into your tail light wiring harness and require a power supply from the battery are great. They use a smart relay system to simply detect when your tail lights are on without pulling power from your tail lights. This prevents cars from getting stupid, because new "smart cars" that detect light bulb current use, can be stupid at times. For the power supply, don't bother running the power cable under the car and to the battery. Just connect it to a cigarette lighter plug and connect it that way. It's not like you use a trailer that often, and running a single cable through your car on the rare times you use it is a lot easier than crawling under your car to install it, having to remove engine components to route the wire, hoping the cable doesn't get damaged with road debris, or hoping the engine heat doesn't melt the cable.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Bikesexual
    Another vote for hitch etrailer for $100 no tax free shipping and 45 @ PepBoys to install it. (No jack) best decision I made to transport my bike.
    just get a bike and ride!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Only get a trunk mount if you hate your car and your bike.
    ^^^^^ This.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

RAKC
    Hitch and rack for 2 bikes. Trunk with one bike is OK (though not great) but 2 bikes is a thing of how much do you really like and want to keep them attached to your car.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I had a trunk mount on my commuter car for a few years..... basically didn't know any better when I first started riding.... as time went on the scratches and damage to both my car and bike became really aggravating.... then the simple idea that I had a bike that was worth way more than my car held on by a 175 dollar rack.... using rubber straps I switched to a Kuat NV 2.0... I bought a receiver online modified it at work to accept a 2 inch hitch and have been loving it.... and I can carry 2 bikes with ease and not be worried about it.

mtbr member
    Something else to keep in mind, the car. some cars do hitch racks better than others, and some hitch racks are better than others. I bought my car with the knowledge that the hitch would attach to legitimate frame members, and not some cheap sheet metal under the car. And get a Class 2 hitch if possible. Not necessary for a bike hitch rack, but I'd rather have a stronger hitch designed for a lot of weight than seeing the whole thing wobbling around.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Hitch. No contest. I have a etrailer receiver on my Matrix (same chassis as corolla) and it works great.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    The ability to lock a hitch mount rack to the car, and lock the bike to the hitch, is a huge convenience.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    the ability to lock a hitch mount rack to the car, and lock the bike to the hitch, is a yuge convenience.
    fify
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

If you decide to sell your car one day, hitch receiver may be an added value. Also, trunk won't show abuse from a rack being mounted on it. I'd say the $100 more you'll spend would be well-worth it.