mtbr member

Help choosing a rack system for my 2017 Outlander Sport

Hey all.. it's literally been years since I've posted here. I've been getting back into mountain biking lately and I'm building a new bike. Just bought a brand new 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, and I'm looking to put together a rack system for it. I'm also an avid kayaker, so need a versatile system.

I need to carry 2 bikes and 2 kayaks simultaneously for camping adventures.

My vehicle has fixed mounting points on a naked roof, so I'll be purchasing either a Yakima or Thule tower and crossbar system with aero bars and a wind deflector.

I could get 60" bars and use a Yakima Jaylow to hold two kayaks, with two bikes on the roof next to them. But 60" bars are quite wide for my vehicle.

The other option is to put two kayaks on the roof in traditional J-cradles, and install a hitch to carry two bikes that way.

I'm torn between which option I prefer, and this is a sizeable investment so I'm looking for some advice from you guys before I move forward.

What would you do? Why?

since 4/10/2009
    I do boats, too (canoe) and still maintain a need for a roof rack for that. Honestly, I keep the roof rack almost exclusively for the boat. I don't really enjoy lifting bikes onto the roof and secure them onto whatever carrier I'm using. I have a couple of 1upUSA roof trays on the roof rack of my teardrop camper for when the camper occupies the space my hitch rack would otherwise use. But I much prefer the hitch rack for the bikes when I can use it.

The canoe is easy because the brackets to hold it are small and cheap. I might even be able to put the bikes and the boat on the camper at the same time, using the bike trays to hold the canoe, but I haven't measured that one out and haven't had a reason to try it yet. I'd probably only try it if I had multiple canoes to haul.

But you can count me as a proponent of the roof for boats and hitch for bikes system, even though it might cost more.

mtbr member
    That's what I'm thinking.. back in my racing days I used roof racks on a suburban and it was a PITA to get the bikes all on the roof.

I'm leaning towards your model of boats on the roof, bikes on the hitch. The only downside is having to connect and disconnect the rack every time I want to haul bikes, whereas the roof rack would always be attached.

As far as price, only about $100 more to put the bikes on the rear. Either way I'm spending $1000+ so what's a hundred bucks at that rate? lol

mtbr member
    Bump. Anyone else now that it's day time?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I love my Thule T2 bike /hitch rack, no frame scratching/ locks up nice/ easy on/off. And I would get as wide as a roof rack bar(s) as possible.....60" is still less than your wheel base( I'm guessing) so what diff does it make?? When I went from 48 to 60 inch it made a huge diff on my Honda ellement, soomuch easier. Im carrying SUps and a thule coffin box though...little diff.